Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
snowcrazy wrote:

On the other hand with the SCGB membership, the £24 is only for new members that are beginners, not everyone. The rest pay £69 I think. Plus everything except the forum must be paid for on top of the membership fee. BUt yes the SCGB does give you access to some quite good discounts although I do not know how the SH's discounts compare. Never used ether clubs discounts.

The discounts were of probably of more use in the pre-interweb days where information and price comparison are a simple mouse click away.

Still 23 or 29k people still pay up for the SCGB so it must still be doing something right?

I wouldn't mind getting 23,000 people coughing up 69 quid a year for something. Although for that kind of money I'd expect free ski insurance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

YOU ARE NOT WANTED. YOU HAVE NO RELEVANCE . END OF .

rofl

I know I've never been on the side of DG, but now, I think it really would be worth the comedy value of sending in a membership application. Heck I'd even propose/second him to stand for the board.

Still awaiting the missing 25% of my last mag-only sub. with 10+ years compounded interest on that debt, I reckon I'm due at least a complimentary new member membership, by now.

edit: but £69 would be better spent on 25 half litres of beer in an Austrian ski resort.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've followed this thread with increasing incredulity. We're talking about a ski club here, for people who want to go up snow covered mountains and slide back down them again. Nothing more.

On top of that there's an ex-member who has been expelled from the club for whatever reason.

If you read the above in the context of the wider world - climate change, financial Be Nice please! ups, ebola, child poverty etc. - it kind of puts it all in context.

It's neither here nor there - so much so that I wonder why I'm even bothering to post on it myself.

Oh, and before anyone gets on my case, yes I was once a SCGB member and leader, but have let both lapse. Mainly because I just want to ski when and where I want without politics and cowdoo interfering with it.

Leave it guys, it's not worth losing sleep over and gets in the way of enjoying your skiing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alfiemalfie, +1

There seem to be some people on this thread who spend a lot of time one something they should really just let go. Deep breaths .....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@eblunt, Agreed - in fact there seems to be a bit too much of that in general in the skiing world. But hey ho, as log as we're all having fun in our own special way...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

without ... cowdoo interfering with it.

Like skiing on the lower slopes at the end of the season Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alfiemalfie wrote:
I've followed this thread with increasing incredulity. We're talking about a ski club here, for people who want to go up snow covered mountains and slide back down them again. Nothing more.

On top of that there's an ex-member who has been expelled from the club for whatever reason.

If you read the above in the context of the wider world - climate change, financial ups, ebola, child poverty etc. - it kind of puts it all in context.

It's neither here nor there - so much so that I wonder why I'm even bothering to post on it myself.

Oh, and before anyone gets on my case, yes I was once a SCGB member and leader, but have let both lapse. Mainly because I just want to ski when and where I want without politics and cowdoo interfering with it.

Leave it guys, it's not worth losing sleep over and gets in the way of enjoying your skiing

This, in spades.

and the other threads about BASI.

How these threads get more input than threads about actual skiing and actual ski resorts winning awards is beyond me.

Maybe it's the 'red top' element of human interest in these threads that appeals.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
emwmarine wrote:

How these threads get more input than threads about actual skiing and actual ski resorts winning awards is beyond me.

Skiing? sorry you mean this website has something to do with skiing? Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scrumpy wrote:
@Comedy Goldsmith, ...

YOU ARE NOT WANTED. YOU HAVE NO RELEVANCE . END OF .

Don't normally comment on these spats, but that is a bit harsh on a public forum, whatever the history between you two !! Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ringingmaster, not history between us - between SCGB and DG - have you not read his continuing attacks on the ski club of which he is no longer a member? They have been going on for donkeys years before he was chucked out and he has renewed his attacks with vigour over here. Please don't defend him - rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scrumpy, Have read them. Not defending anyone. Just think that type of comment would be more appropriate in private.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ringingmaster, Scrumpy is only saying what plenty of others are also thinking. It's a very sad attention seeking one man crusade that stretches to 80 pages. Sad because it's heartbreaking to see such time and effort devoted to an issue totally out proportion to its importance
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If only a tenth of the energy that has gone into this thread had gone into supporting either the ideals of SCGB or, for that matter, Snowheads, not to mention Alfie's comments, the ski or wider world would be a better place.
not sure what is more depressing, the attiutudes, or the predictability.
what price freedom of speech...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to jump to CG's defence,
1) You don't have to read this thread if you don't want to
2) it does show the possibility that the SCGB may be ripping off gullible members by charging a large membership fee which funds their own personal ski activities and appears to be largely unaccountable (if you believe CG's input)
3) it beats the endless tedious "helmet" threads Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
emwmarine wrote:

Well that's an easy one to explain. It happens because people like, with no interest in the subject under discussion, add pointless comments and people like me (also with no interest in the subject) reply to them. Simples! rolling eyes
snow report

I'm quitting social media for a few months, partly due to the (seemingly officially endorsed/programmed) SCGB trolling and smearing on this thread.

Personally, I couldn't give a flying fuck about it - it's been going on for 10+ years now, so nothing's new, but you'd think the tactics would adapt over time. The earlier misconduct of Gerry Aitken etc. on the SCGB's own forum set the pattern from 2002-4, continuing via his IDs 'Tim Brown' and 'PJSki' on snowHeads [where is PJSki, by the way?], but Gerry's still sitting pretty on the Council - a director in the final year of his final term of 4 years. So the membership clearly want it Gerry's way, which includes Gerry not posting by his username "Gerry" on snowHeads any more. Scrumpy's mutterings - above - really don't warrant any further response, despite the resounding authority of the username.

The perennial personal crap that spews from Gerry Aitken's computer (or those of his SCGB acolytes) gets in the way of good-natured debate, which ought to be expressed in good faith rather than from behind masks, false identities and willing proxies. This is very much about real stuff and real issues, for debate with honesty. The Ski Club of Great Britain was founded by real people with real arguments and a deep understanding of British skiing, who developed hugely successful policies, programmes and publications ... to popular acclaim. In the era (1950s) just before the advent of package-tour skiing and Scottish ski area development the Club accounted for 30%+ of British skiers (now it's well below 3%). The organisation established its own clubhouse on Eaton Square in Belgravia, on a 75-year lease (expiry 2024). But that's all history now, and the future seems desperate ... founded on an eternal ignorance of the Club's own traditions, values and wisdom. Until the next time (probably May 2015) ...

The Ski Club of Great Britain ... Sir Arnold Lunn ... Hitler ... and the future

In the unlikely event that the SCGB's high command want to model the Club's future on its most successful and radical years (1903-55) - the ones that surmounted two world wars - they should spend some time in the library. There they will find some of the finest ski journalism and long-form writing penned by Sir Arnold Lunn. In his book The Story of Skiing he describes entering St Anton during the year Hitler annexed Austria (1938), demanding the release of imprisoned ski pioneer Hannes Schneider*. Hitler released him.

Sir Arnold Lunn's involvement in the defeat of Hitler will never be fully documented, since he (and his son Peter) were both British spies, but ... over in Berlin ... some significant pre-war 'Hitler defiance' was directed by my grandmother Leonore Goldschmidt ...

http://youtube.com/v/VahNi1MfUsw

I very much doubt if grandma (who settled in London from WW2 onwards) ever met Sir Arnold Lunn, but they would have shared some interesting observations!

And I'm sure Sir Arnold, in 2014, could inspire a great renaissance of the Ski Club of Great Britain today. Unfortunately the old boy died 40 years ago.

Anyway ... have a fun ski this winter, and see you next May.

CG

* Strangely, that imprisonment is omitted from Hannes Schneider's Wikipedia page ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannes_Schneider

... so read about it here ...

http://teachski.com/articles/schneider/schneider.htm

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 27-11-14 18:05; edited 9 times in total
ski holidays
@Comedy Goldsmith, David, welcome back to Social Media wink
latest report

Thank you, boredsurfin.

And I'm sure Der Führer will wish to join me in wishing you a memorable winter of wintersports.

I really must go now!
snow report
Just in case any of you are Bingo fans .....

snow conditions
eblunt PMSL Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
eblunt, brilliant Laughing
snow report
Godwin's Law wins again:

'As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.'
ski holidays
Watch out for sock puppets.
ski holidays
@eblunt,@dheason, @richjp, Laughing Laughing Cool

In case it's of any interest , my grandfather ....... oh no, it's not of interest. Let's go skiing Cool
latest report
DG always came across to me as rather thick-skinned but it seems time (and possibly age) has withered him. He always took more crap (of a personal nature) than he dished out. It would seem we all have our limits. It would appear that those who who deliver the most personal attacks have won the day. You must be very pleased with yourselves. However, I'm sure he'll be back.
ski holidays
Moderation in all things DG. Seems your amp is either turned up to 11 or in the off position. Perhaps you can set it at a steady 8 or 9 when you return.
snow conditions
I don't think DG dished out crap at all. He was/is too immersed in his own strange world to be aware that what he may have said to people, or the way he may have treated them, could be offensive. And if some of those who took offence dished crap out to him presumably it thus came as a surprise. Or maybe not, thick skin and all that.

Ah bollox, now I'm getting sucked into all this...
ski holidays
hmmm I've run out of ignores

can't unignore pjski out of principle, even if that a/c won't have any more posts

and there's only one person on this forum who deserves any personal insults he gets, but he's not a recent poster in this thread.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone interested in how scgb will cope with the potential banning of leading in Italy?
Any sensible suggestions on alternatives to the leading service if Italy does fall.

Any enterprising skiers want to set up a service that offers something approximating leading at an equivalent price?
.... And if not, maybe they _were_ onto something after all.

Onwards and upwards, I say.
snow report
Anyone interested in how scgb will cope with the potential banning of leading in Italy?
Any sensible suggestions on alternatives to the leading service if Italy does fall.

Any enterprising skiers want to set up a service that offers something approximating leading at an equivalent price?
.... And if not, maybe they _were_ onto something after all.

Onwards and upwards, I say.
snow conditions
Aspergers?

Seems to be rife round here.

I agree with dave the marmotte
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Thank you, boredsurfin.

And I'm sure Der Führer will wish to join me in wishing you a memorable winter of wintersports.

I really must go now!

Happy Christmas. See you end of season.
latest report
eblunt wrote:
Just in case any of you are Bingo fans .....
Actually, there are some pretty important ones missing from that score card.
eg.
This is my last post on this forum!

No, this is actually my last post.

After receiving no support from the moderators/admin...

After persecution/abuse by the moderators/admin...
snow report
How about even moderately changing someone's name is bullying

...hmm on that note I should have huffed off some time ago
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottescyo, possibly.
snow conditions
Well quite @Dave of the Marmottes! According to the psychological profile the moderators have been using to gauge their systematic campaign of bullying and abuse, you should have flounceod years ago mate!
ski holidays
admin wrote:
Well quite @Dave of the Marmottes! According to the psychological profile the moderators have been using ...

Are we allowed to talk about that ? Little Angel
snow report
Oh dear. I had forgotten about the notorious psychological profiling. I guess after my attempts to ski on two ironing boards of Wednesday night mine will just say "nutter."

More seriously, I think DG does have a point in asking questions about the SCGB and what it is for and how it "represents" us. Like many established organisations it may, as he suggests, have metamorphosed into a self-serving elite (think House of Lords, Eton etc etc) and questions might need to be asked. As an old-time journalist, he sees himself as a person to ask those questions.

He does seem to go on a bit. Which is why I am surprised he has chosen to desist.

snowHead
ski holidays
@Chris Bish, I think he's just stopped to take a breath Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

@Chris Bish, I think he's just stopped to take a breath
Hi also took a big breath earlier this year : no posts between Mon Jan 20th @ 0:37 and Thu Aug 28th @ 10:22
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy