Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
I would expect that the Ski Club accounts, as for any incorporated organisation, will be fully audited and receipts and expenditure accounted for, there is no reason why the Club may not be holding a significant sum in its environmental coffers pending further payments out.

I dont support the "big conspiracy" theory. I find the tone of this thread quite unnecessary, unpleasant and unwarranted in particular turning the invective against Frank Gardner who is an inspirational example of overcoming adversity is distatsteful in the extreme.

Ski Club Mr Comedy Goldsmith - Get over it!! Surely there is something better in your life to which you can turn your very capable skills (as you have described on various occasions).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FFIRMIN wrote:
I would expect that the Ski Club accounts, as for any incorporated organisation, will be fully audited and receipts and expenditure accounted for, there is no reason why the Club may not be holding a significant sum in its environmental coffers pending further payments out.

I dont support the "big conspiracy" theory. I find the tone of this thread quite unnecessary, unpleasant and unwarranted in particular turning the invective against Frank Gardner who is an inspirational example of overcoming adversity is distatsteful in the extreme.

Ski Club Mr Comedy Goldsmith - Get over it!! Surely there is something better in your life to which you can turn your very capable skills (as you have described on various occasions).

FFIRMIN, thank you for your comments and for launching page 72. I'm dealing with an urgent matter, but will revert to this later today.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FFIRMIN wrote:

I find the tone of this thread quite unnecessary, unpleasant and unwarranted

I take it you have read page one? If not, you might note that this thread was started, clumsily, by someone from the SKGB. Indeed, none of the preceding 72 pages might ever have been were it not for that spectacular own goal.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FFIRMIN, Odd thing for a first timer to do . . . read a long boring thread and come to a dismissive first post rolling eyes 'your slip is showing' Good grief are all the club socks as clumsy as this?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FFIRMIN, where exactly is Comedy Goldsmith,
Quote:

turning the invective against Frank Gardner
Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pedantica, Maybe he meant Frank Gradner?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:

might not be recognised by the Wikipedia moguls (get the subtle skiing reference? Toofy Grin ).

Very good, yes I did like word play.

I suppose it is telling that no-one is particularly motivated to update their wikipedia page.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing wrote:
Pedantica, Maybe he meant Frank Gradner?
Who he? (ed)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Comedy Goldsmith,

Do you know if the SCGB still have any pocket ash trays left? A group of locals are trying to clean up areas of Tignes and some ash trays would help.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Comedy Goldsmith,

Do you know if the SCGB still have any pocket ash trays left? A group of locals are trying to clean up areas of Tignes and some ash trays would help.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica, See page 71 Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, duh Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FFIRMIN wrote:
FFIRMIN

I think the first thing we need to establish here is whether you are Frances Firmin, who regularly posts on the SCGB forum, or whether you're an impersonator. There was a recent incident [page 69 of this thread] involving SCGB member Mark Dewdney being credibly impersonated (until the troll was found out) as "MrD" on snowHeads ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=2720#2409850

We've not yet got to the bottom of who was involved in that, but there are suspicions (on the basis of that person's past form).

FFIRMIN wrote:

This has been discussed in some detail. The SCGB's environmental accounts, for a fund established in winter 2004-5 (now nine to ten years' income), are not presented properly and don't add up ...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=2760#2412737
This has nothing to do with auditing (since it's unlikely that the auditors would deal with this aspect of things). It's about correct annual accounts for a quasi-charitable fund, which have not yet materialised. But, since you've mentioned auditing, perhaps it's time the SCGB's auditors were invited to date and quantify all income and expenditure for that fund.

FFIRMIN wrote:

I thought I'd expressed admiration and respect for Frank Gardner. He's an extremely experienced journalist (and social media user) and can no doubt take care of himself.

FFIRMIN wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm currently writing jokes for next year's Christmas crackers, and welcome any other vocational guidance.

stewart woodward wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith,

Tignes may need more than ashtrays to deal with its environmental issues. Not sure about SCGB ashtrays. Can you use tea trays? - there must be some old snowboards knocking about the place.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Masque wrote:
... a long boring thread ...

So boring that this thread is attracting c.1000 views per day - well over double its average over the past 12 months - perhaps several hundred interesting people checking in every day.
Many people (probably all quite bonkers) regard this thread as 'boredom therapy', but the editorial team is constantly looking at new entertainment features to keep the momentum going.

Thank you for your comments, which have been selected for 'Post of the Day' - you win this SCGB car badge.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"Ski Club of Great Bottoms"

Their title, not mine.
Note: This item is apparently not related to any similarly-named club ...

http://youtube.com/v/w9MPZzHTdPs
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, Come on! Size and length are no definers of quality entertainment rolling eyes
ski holidays
Yeah, well ... Personally I'd put "Ski Club of Great Bottoms" on general release.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith, I'll have the badge . . . need summat to spark up the front of the van along with the old AA shield (if I can find t'booger)
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
perhaps several interested people checking it hundreds of times every day.

Fixed that for ya.
snow conditions
davidof, thank you very much. I was worried it was going to be

Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
perhaps one person checking in a thousand times every day.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
davidof, thank you very much. I was worried it was going to be

Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
perhaps one person checking in a thousand times every day.

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I've suddenly started to receive SCGB snow reports to my email inbox. Obviously requested long long ago, and reactivated when I had a nose around in the new forum. However, there seems no way of unsubscribing easily. I've altered my prfile, and asked to 'never email' and guess what? I received a 'welcome to your snow report' email from them with the snow report I had asked not to receive. I shall keep an eye on it.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
I've suddenly started to receive SCGB snow reports to my email inbox. Obviously requested long long ago, and reactivated when I had a nose around in the new forum. However, there seems no way of unsubscribing easily. I've altered my prfile, and asked to 'never email' and guess what? I received a 'welcome to your snow report' email from them with the snow report I had asked not to receive. I shall keep an eye on it.

I also get regular emails, of the following variety ... which is strange, having been expelled at the end of September!

Quote:
Have you thought about joining the Club as a full member?

As a Registered User, we're offering you £20 of vouchers to spend at Ellis Brigham if you join the Ski Club.

Dear David,

We're with you year-round to save you money, show you the best times on snow, and provide you with everything you need to make the most of your favourite hobby, whatever your ability.
etc. etc.
[personally signed by the Membership Manager]

Seems a bit soon to be wanting me back.
----------------

So, how many people are currently paying subscriptions to the Ski Club of Great Britain?

It's now 25 months since the SCGB last published a 'paying units' figure, providing members with the bottom-line number: 17,114 (30 April 2011 figure, published in Nov 2011 annual report). It's a figure that's been consistently published for decades.

The 'paying units' figure has been omitted from the 2012 and 2013 annual reports.

As a historical comparison, the Club had 14,117 subscribers in 1975 and 16,500 in 1990 (a high point, correlating with a big run of success for the SCGB's magazine on the newsstands, selling up to 12,000 copies per issue).

The recent introduction of a £23 "beginners" membership - for the first time - will presumably kickstart numbers (especially if interpreted as 'beginners to SCGB'), but for what purpose this deal is being marketed isn't obvious (since the beginner rate isn't renewable, is cross-subsidised by full-paying members and is a loss-leader). The 'under 24' membership is equally heavily discounted but it's not clear how much that helps the general membership situation - in 2011 there were 922 'under 24s' paying £21 membership, therefore contributing a grand total of about £20k to the SCGB's coffers.

The question now - as 2013 closes - is how many subscriptions have been paid on 2013 renewal dates, and how many new subscriptions (at the full rates - e.g. £62) will have been secured by the end of the financial year?

Let's see if 2014 sees an end to the weirdness, and whether a 30 April 2014 'paying units' figure is published in the 2014 annual report. It's a critical figure, and a critical factor in judging the SCGB's openness. It's the most important statistic of the lot!
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
However, I was surprised to see that in the citation for Ali Ross, who was deservedly awarded the same medal in 1998 it states "Ski technique guru for many years. BASI trainer and author (How We Learned to Ski) which was the first ski instruction book (published in 1973) (my italics)." I would have thought that many people had published ski instruction books prior to 1973, including pioneers such as Mathias Zardsky with his Lilienfelder Skilauf-Technik of 1897! Quote from the German article: "Seine im November 1896 (mit der Jahreszahl 1897) erschienene "Lilienfelder Skilauf-Technik" war das erste Skilehrbuch der Welt"

Another glaring error on the SCGB website I'm afraid.

Well I posted on the SCGB forum about the above mentioned error and they have now deleted the incorrect statement about it being the first ski instruction book. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Alastair Pink, like an airbrushed Politburo line-up?
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, talking of which, do you know if the club is intending to have any reps in the new North Korean ski resort? Toofy Grin

(I would have called them by the SCGB preferred name of leader, but in North Korea they are a bit touchy about who gets called that... Skullie )
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, Laughing

It's this thread's first birthday tomorrow. Here's a sneak preview of the celebration rehearsal from the White House:

snow conditions
As Swiller predicted above, with his customary brilliance ...

Today, Wednesday 18 December, is the first birthday of the New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum. It's been a long hard journey, with a few ups and downs on the way, but that is what skiing is all about.

Thank you to Mr Kim Bum-Ski, above, for initiating the festivities with a candle in a pork pie. The real thing can be enjoyed tonight at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Fondue, Fleet Street. Further information on the separate thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=105275#2410349
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Bode Swiller, talking of which, do you know if the club is intending to have any reps in the new North Korean ski resort? Toofy Grin

(I would have called them by the SCGB preferred name of leader, but in North Korea they are a bit touchy about who gets called that... Skullie )

Superb Laughing Laughing

Will he (Leader) not change his name? Jong doesn't have an exactly positive connotation with skiing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Hells Bells, Go into weather/snow reports and then go in to email snow reports and you can cancel or change the details in there.
latest report
I just did it the ruthless way. Get them to totally nuke my account. Excellent service - was done properly, first time, by return of email, and one of the few that took me off any mailing lists too. Had plenty of others that left my address on mailing lists, then told me to go in to my account settings to turn off mass mailing after they'd nuked my account rolling eyes
Any that don't comply get sent to spamcop.
latest report
Merry Christmas video from the SCGB, with a chilly snowy theme ...

http://youtube.com/v/SmQHWejFVeo
ski holidays
A Monday (23 December) wake-up call for SCGB HQ this morning ... as reported by two members on the public sections of the SCGB website yesterday evening, the reps ('leaders') section of the website isn't functioning ... so information on which resorts are currently repped and by whom is not available.

Take me to your Leaders
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=14623#.UrgKefvUbIg
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Website-Suggestions?discussionID=14622#.UrgJ-fvUbIg

"...we've got a technical glitch with the Leaders section of the website. We're working to get it fixed as soon as possible." is the official message on this first busy weekday of the ski season, in a season which is likely to put the on-snow activity of the Ski Club under unprecedented financial and performance attention.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

"...we've got a technical glitch with the Leaders section of the website. We're working to get it fixed as soon as possible." is the official message on this first busy weekday of the ski season, in a season which is likely to put the on-snow activity of the Ski Club under unprecedented financial and performance attention by me.

Fixed that for you.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Merry Christmas video from the SCGB, with a chilly snowy theme ...

http://youtube.com/v/SmQHWejFVeo

Skis being carried like a true billy.
snow report
Sorry ... yes ... the above wording should have been ...

Quote:
... a season which is likely to put the on-snow activity of the Ski Club under unprecedented financial and performance attention by Comedy Auditors.
snow report
davidof wrote:

Skis being carried like Santa's sack.

Fixed it for you, to make it a bit more Christmassy.
ski holidays
All : If you nip over to the Niseko transceiver thread you will find a very small example,( you might think it quite large but trust me, it is a mere trifle) of David Goldsmith 's typical forum behaviour whilst he was allowed to post on the SCGB forum.
This behaviour went on for years and years; threads where DG went on and on and on being the only person who could possibly be right on any thread despite no one agreeing with him on any topic from Reps,now known as leaders , to off piste safety - and in particular the efficacy of avalanche cords.
Whenever a thread died, the same topic would be resurrected a few weeks later ad nauseum until even the rather patient SCGB decided to put a stop to it - not after a few months but after several years and many member requests - not sure how many years as I only got on line about 10 years ago when he was obviously in full swing.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Skis being carried like a true billy.

Um, how are you supposed to carry them?

I'm a snowboarder so I'm not supposed to know. If it's a one-upmanship issue, then anyone with significant heli experience will drag the things instinctively. Probably that's not good for your carpet though.
ski holidays
Scrumpy, I assume you're from the 'old school'.

The fault with your historical analysis, which isn't very profound, is that it completely ignores 'MO Day' - that day in the first week of Feb 2004, when everyone (except members) was banned from the SCGB forum. Personalising it to me is surely irrelevant in the general scheme of things.

Snocial media is the key to the future ... perhaps it's a bit less about "Reps,now known as leaders" [to borrow your phrase]. It's about every skier, every voice, every aspiration, every ski holiday.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy