Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
davidof wrote:
> There's all to play for.

or not, after 15 years of widespread web use I suspect those that want to connect have, by and large, connected, and the other 97% of British skiers are not the slightest bit interested.

> "working to establish the Ski Club as the source for snowsports news."

why? Are they a newspaper? Do they have journalists on the ground or at the least access to press news feeds?

The ski club would do better to focus on stuff that could be useful to club members, like any other club, that is if they really are a club and just run for the benefit of a few people.

This +1

Anyway - bad spamming attempt by the OP and nice work by Windymiller in flagging it up.

here we go yet again Goldsmith has indeed got previous on this one, but we were all getting a bit bored so hey ho...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What this thread is about is Comedy Goldsmith, sad obsession with the SCUK, and his belief that they have some kind of personal vendetta against him. The thread is also about his desire, to seem relevant in the skiing community, and to appear superior intellectually, to his peers.

First of the Number of Skier in the UK is so regularly overstated it is not funny, a large % of UK skiers are once a year holiday visitors who see it as nothing else other than a holiday, look at your bonnie Prince Charles, can you see him joining SCUK for the discounts? The Leaders,or just so he can pop by the chat forum?

Most are not as obsessive after all there are 33,644 registered snowheads!

If I want chat or forums I pop bye here or over to TGR, I have no need to use chat on SCUK or the two other Ski organisations I am involved in in fact if I wanted to talk to someone from those other bodies I would pick up the phone or do it face to face.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Watching DG & his SKGB enemies on here is like watching the USA in conflict. One bloody war on their own turf which decimated the ranks with no winners, so they conduct future wars away from home.

Amazed that such a large organisation should spam snowHead ; a tenner says Admin doesnt get a personal apology however gutterish the behaviour. Toofy Grin

I guess that justifies (x)G's behaviour -- he's merely reflecting how deep some of the angst seems to run. Ugly but great theatre.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agenterre, Basically the SCGB is losing influence/presence to us Great Unwashed. Google pretty much any ski related subject and this site just hammers down the page in entry after entry. The SCGB cannot afford to lose that. It is it's own fault, it knows that and will do whatever it can to change that . . . and it's not going to happen, it's just too late.

Obviously I've no access to its accounts but I'd surmise that income is dipping too as its demographic ages and is not being replaced in the numbers needed for income growth. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one day our darling daddy at admin towers is not approached to merge this lively midden with the anodyne septic tank of the club . . . yeah right wink

There's no reason at all why snowHeads couldn't replace the SCGB completely if the will were exercised to do so, though I don't think that's a goal . . . or is it . . . Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, there is no way the SCGB could afford the oppulence of SnowHead Towers. The last time I had lunch with The Long Haired One it was in a Picadilly club. Wimbledon just doesn't cut it any more.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've spoken to many SCGB reps at shows, each time they try to get us to join. In my case they can't offer me anything to make my membership worthwhile. OK, if i was a solo skier it might be worth it to use the service of skiing in a group in a resort, but really I can get that through SH's postings - i.e. I'm going to A,B, C etc. is there anyone that I can hook up with? - I had a lovely flurry of offers when I thought I would be on my tod with the kids in Austria last year. I can get all sorts of discounts through SH membership, as a member of SH's i.e. discounted ski insurance deals, store discounts etc.

Lately we have also been getting excellent draw prizes on offer through SH's, I can have a damn good holiday if I hook up with a SH's bash, I can get involved socially through SH's and at the end of the day if I don't want to pay anything for all of the above I don't need to. SKGC want to charge me a significant membership fee and the only addition is a glossy magazine (and I don't have time to read the 4 magazines that arrive each month from different memberships) and a few freebies that I probably already own in different brands anyway. It would be like rolling up and burning £5 notes to join SCGB and for me as a family skier I can't see that it can offer me sufficient to make the membership worthwhile.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 2-01-13 12:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, I really dont care about the original war, nor the SCGB as no interest in what they offer .

Like many Im glad MO day happened as I have got so much out of this site in so many ways but no other interest apart from the general amusement the 2 or 3 with long memories and deep feelings provide. I apologise for enjoying the car-crash nature of it all but that's about it.

As to Admin's future intent .. if I were him I'd keep it well-hidden in my back pocket!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fattes13 wrote:
First of the Number of Skier in the UK is so regularly overstated it is not funny...

This is very true. The usual "million skiers in the UK" trips off the tongue very nicely, especially by the media, but the reality is way lower than that. If the Crystal Ski Industry Report is accurate (and it is now generally accepted as being pretty-much OK), then there were 895,000 trips taken last season. They don't go into how many heads that represents but we all know people who go 2/3/4/5/6/7/8 times per season so that 895,000 could easily represent just 5-600,000 people. But then if you walk down the street and ask "are you a skier?" you'll probably find a good few million who consider themselves skiers even though they don't go every year or maybe haven't been for years. Many are interested in skiing but the only ones that really count are those who put their hands in their pockets and buy stuff like holidays, gear and memberships. Unfortunately for the ski club, that pool of potential members is getting smaller and dropping off the old end of the demographics.

I was once told that a decent target for a club (or indeed a forum) was 10% of the market. So by my unchecked maths, a figure around the 60k mark for membership or forum registrations would be the target.

And yes, a ski club employee/representative started this thread so all that followed appears to be self-inflicted.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote,
Quote:

Many are interested in skiing but the only ones that really count are those who put their hands in their pockets and buy stuff like holidays, gear and memberships. Unfortunately for the ski club, that pool of potential members is getting smaller and dropping off the old end of the demographics.

There are lots of different reasons for why anyone is a member of anything. The best members (in terms of the club's finances and thus "health") are the ones who pay their subs but do not use the facilities. Think of gyms, golf clubs etc. That is why most member organisations spend most of their effort trying to recruit new members rather than in retaining their existing ones.

The model might be changing with people easily able to access "groups" online (FB and snowHead for example) but it will take many years to make the old model not work (not least due to auto-renewal, DD banking etc meaning that inactivity actually perpetuates the model)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tiger2, one of the club's sales lines is that "the discounts more than pay for the membership" and for that to work you need active members. I think health clubs would much prefer busy clubs.

DDs are so simple to cancel these days, I don't think your inertia argument holds true any more.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Basically, the SCGB is like Woolworth's. They liked the crowd they had in 1970 but haven't moved on and so will slowly lose numbers until you have to have a double barrelled surname to be a member.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller, I take the point (which is why I think the model might be changing) but you only need to convince people that they might use enough of the services offered for it to pay for their membership. In reality I suspect very few people use the facilities/services that are on offer in many of the clubs to which they subscribe thereby rendering the "benefit" useless. But their perception is that the benefits more than pay for their membership.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Aye I'm a member and thats what fooled me Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
DDs are so simple to cancel these days, I don't think your inertia argument holds true any more.
While I agree with the first part of your sentence,I don't really agree with the second. The inertia benefit may be less than it was but it's still significant IMO. I still often meet people who, when introduced to me as 'someone in skiing' declare themselves to be members of that British Ski Club thing that they had to join in order to go on some holiday a friend organised and still get charged every bally year for the thing. But then these are people for whom £50-60 per year isn't a significant dent in their disposable income and unless they have a particularly proactive accountant, the DD is unlikely to be cancelled unless Coutts goes under.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
admin, luckily market research companies don't rely too heavily on the old anecdotal "bumped into 'someone in skiing' etc" scenario. The key to this may be the change in banking behaviour. According to Ernst & Young, 10% of people changed bank between 2008 and 2010 and 11% said they were imminently going to do so. This is a dramatic rate of change in the banking industry and it's quickening. Swapping banks is when the DDs get cancelled. I know they get transferred over but it's when you go on to look around the shiny new online system that you reassess what you need or don't need any more. One click and it's gone.

By the way, Coutts... part of RBS/NatWest and all that. They bloody nearly did go under.
latest report
--

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-01-13 0:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
If CSM is bored, can we have a :yawn: smiley please?
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, I do think that what we are lacking here is an activity graph updated daily, I'm sure it would be of great interest Twisted Evil
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, In other news you may need to get a life, perhaps some new hobbies, like stamp collecting or ornithology!

If you have breaches of snowHead forum policy we may be interested however I suggest you raise your concerns with the SCUK as it is there rules not snowHead that have been breached.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 3-01-13 12:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith, A great place to discuss this would be at http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk

Yes there is history with the formation of SnowHeads, but really, does anyone give a toss now?
snow report
I think Comedy Goldsmith is actually employed by the SCGB, after all, all his discussion of, and linking to the site and forum can only improve their visibility and ranking in the search engines.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Only Comedy Goldsmith, there is a limited History in that a change of rules in a fee paying club led to the formation of snowHead . That is where the connections ended.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
A brief update on the SCGB forum posting pattern for the past couple of days:

1 Jan: 7 posters made 9 posts (one poster contributing 33% of all posts)
2 Jan: 15 posters made 20 posts (three posters contributed 10% of posts, and one made 15% of them)

Once again, as has been the case since the forum re-launched, all activity exceeded the maximum permitted 4% of posts in any 24-hour period.
Significantly, perhaps, two of the dominant posters yesterday were SCGB Council members Gerry Aitken (10% of posts) and Richard Bird (15% of posts). These are significant breaches of the 4% rule, by the lawmakers themselves!

This thread on 'Freshtracks Holidays Ski Standards' was the busiest yesterday:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/The-Ski-Club?discussionID=14146#.UOVsfax7TTo

Goodness me. How has snowheads managed with out admin giving us ability gradings? Toofy Grin Silly admin. The bashes will ever become popular now Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Just in case anyone is remotely interested, as a comparison Snivel had no postings yesterday, or the day before. perhaps their software stopped working at the end of 2012 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Claude B, when I looked at it last year, there were only 2 or 3 ID's posting on it and they were all Phil the Vole under different guises so perhaps he's no longer posting as he's done the dirty on himself this time and gone off to set up a competitor to Snivel Wink
snow report
achilles wrote:
Goodness me. How has snowheads managed with out admin giving us ability gradings? Toofy Grin Silly admin. The bashes will ever become popular now Madeye-Smiley
I've been secretly grading you in my little [net]book Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Quote:

I've been secretly grading you in my little [net]book

This makes me happy and scared all at once!
snow conditions
admin wrote:
achilles wrote:
I've been secretly grading you in my little [net]book Twisted Evil

Beats psychological profiling anyday wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
A brief update on the SCGB forum posting pattern for the past couple of days:

1 Jan: 7 posters made 9 posts (one poster contributing 33% of all posts)
2 Jan: 15 posters made 20 posts (three posters contributed 10% of posts, and one made 15% of them)

Once again, as has been the case since the forum re-launched, all activity exceeded the maximum permitted 4% of posts in any 24-hour period.
Significantly, perhaps, two of the dominant posters yesterday were SCGB Council members Gerry Aitken (10% of posts) and Richard Bird (15% of posts). These are significant breaches of the 4% rule, by the lawmakers themselves!

This thread on 'Freshtracks Holidays Ski Standards' was the busiest yesterday:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/The-Ski-Club?discussionID=14146#.UOVsfax7TTo

Goldsmith's stats are starting to bore the pants off me but the link is comedy gold.
Are freshtracks holidays so oversubscribed they actively want to turn away skiers? and the confusion within their own ranks as to the grading system is fantastic.
snow report
betterinblack,
Quote:

the link is comedy gold.

+ 1
latest report
--

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-01-13 0:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Can we have a technicoloUr ranking system here too, on the personal profile? the 1-10 scale confuses me, and Maths was my best subject at A-Level, so there must be some sH that can't cope with it at all Wink Toofy Grin Twisted Evil
Looking forwards to the next Blue / Blue/Red / Red / Red+ / Silver / Purple and Gold sH bash.
ski holidays
Dam . . . cat did do a whupsie Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
betterinblack,
Quote:

the link is comedy gold.

+ 1

+2 soooooooooooooooooo funny.
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Pedantica wrote:
betterinblack,
Quote:

the link is comedy gold.

+ 1

+loads - they really are full of self-importance, aren't they?
snow conditions
agw wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Pedantica wrote:
betterinblack,
Quote:

the link is comedy gold.

+ 1

+loads - they really are full of self-importance, aren't they?

+1...very entertaining Shocked
latest report
5-snowHeads-ring-licking
4 curling turds
3 three French tarts
2 total twats
and Goldsmith in a tiz-zy.

Laughing
snow report
Just to be clear. Anyone who is a red, green, silver, black, pink, blue, blue/black, red/yellow, or even a polkadoc can book our apartment in Val Thorens for a Holiday.

Also, if they email me a video of their skiing at the end of the week I will allocate each member of the party a special colour. I will start making the badges tonight.
snow report
AND a chalet pimp for the 3 French tarts.

Gold
snow report
PJSki, safe to say I dont do SH ring licking - Im sure admin has an effigy of me and its not of the blow up kind!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy