Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
MrD, I obviously regret that the action of copying your postings from the public domain to the public domain has caused you offence. The subject matter seemed illustrative of an extraordinary inefficiency for an organisation with 27 administrative staff, and therefore a valid point for this thread - which is dedicated to SCGB affairs.

It's surely not the copying that's the issue here - it's the fact that a fellow SCGB member has described you in very rude terms above, perhaps under cover of a pseudonym.

I'm afraid I gave up believing that the SCGB represented 'gentlemanly behaviour' a very long time ago. Or that the SCGB sets any benchmark of 'gentlemanly behaviour'. You're probably not aware that the most offensive message ever posted on snowHeads was by a senior SCGB representative, referring to children of another poster on this forum. As far as I'm aware the same individual expressed a desire to communicate information (probably false, given his record) directly to my wife.

There's stuff to sort out at the Ski Club of Great Britain, and one aspect of that is the tendency of some members to get very personal and offensive about people who may not agree with some arcane/eccentric aspect of the Club's operations. I was once falsely accused, officially, of misappropriating SCGB property (i.e. stealing it, in effect). That wasn't very gentlemanly either.

The mods are here to delete/moderate anything they consider inappropriate, and they've done a great job over the years.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr Goldsmith if you feel the need to highlight every niggle within the running of the club then I ask you to please do so without dragging my name into it on a web site that I had previously had no association with.

The issue here is that you have, to serve your own needs, used my name and messages in a fight that is not mine.

You say that someone has described me in rude terms, perhaps under the cover of a pseudonym, as if that excuses your behaviour in copying my message over here in the first place. I believed I was leaving a message only on the Club chat forum. I had no problem in using my real name as I consider those in the Club my friends, but now I realise that there are people out there that think they can use my messages as ammunition in their own fights, I think it would be best to stop using my real name while posting on the internet. What a shame, as I thought it was an honourable thing to do, being open about my identity.

I know nothing of the other accusations you make, but I request that in future you only involve people in this argument who actually have knowledge that they are being involved in it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MrD, Are you really that naive?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Welcome to page 69, by the way, in association with the Skate Club of Great Britain.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Also, Apple is recognising the achievement of 140,000 views of this thread by launching 140,000 iPad apps.

Keep posting for further developments.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Welcome to page 69, by the way, in association with the Skate Club of Great Britain.

So where's the lit firework?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Comedy Goldsmith, seriously, seriously, is that your idea of 69?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richjp wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
MrD wrote:
Can I ask why my messages on the Ski Club forum have been copied onto here? It's rather rude!

MrD, you have the option (you must be a member, given what you're commenting about) to comment in the public domain ... as you've chosen to do ... or in one of the two SCGB forum sections which are 'members only' and not visible to non-members. There's a little padlock symbol next to those sections of the forum.

Anything in the public domain is fair game for 'copy 'n pritt', as far as I can see (within the laws of copyright and 'fair use')

[/end of SCGB members' advice line]

You may be correct legally however what you are repeatedly doing is simply bad manners.

I suspect he's legally incorrect in what he says.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, seriously, seriously, is that your idea of 69?

No, it's Google's idea - prove it yourself - nothing to do with me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Frank McCusker
SCGB 2013 Annual Report: fourth nibble
Chief Executive's Report

Our previous look at the 2013 SCGB annual report - ten pages back on p.59 - quoted the chairman's report:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=2320#2399603

Now, as 2013 draws to a close, here are the words of the SCGB's CEO Frank McCusker who joined the Club in July 2012 and replaced Caroline Stuart-Taylor

Frank McCusker wrote:
What a year it’s been! Having spent the last 12 months learning about the organisation, and meeting with Ski Club members and industry insiders from around the UK and overseas, I have to admit, I am well and truly enthralled by the snowsports industry. Last season was truly exceptional - in most resorts the snow came early and kept falling, resulting in the best conditions for several years that saw the season extended into May in many areas. The only complaint I heard was some members suffering from a lack of vitamin D. Well you can’t have everything!

It’s been such a pleasure to see more of our members making use of the membership benefits over the course of the last season and our Membership Services team have been busy offering help and advice on practically everything to do with winter sports. “Which resort should I choose?” is one of the most common questions we receive. To guarantee that we can provide the best possible answers, we’re working hard to keep our resort information up to date and endeavouring to bolster the number of resort reviews posted on our website. Reading about what other members think of a potential resort should be a key part of planning your next trip. You can really help your fellow members by posting your reviews of the resorts that you’ve visited.

Our ever popular Leader service continues to prove a hit with slightly more members this year enjoying a very positive experience with this wonderful volunteer group of members. A big pat on the back for them. Thank you.

The unique experience of a Ski Club Freshtracks holiday is proving ever popular with members, and the 2012/13 season was one of our most successful yet, with over 2000 members enjoying a trip with Frestracks, up 18% on last year. To enable us to support this increasing demand we’ve added a second chalet in Flaine, so that even more members can head out to the Haute Savoie to ski with our fantastic instructors, Yann & Diane. Also, make sure you look out for the trip to Macugnaga in the Monte Rosa region of Italy, another first for Freshtracks.

This year we’re celebrating the Club’s 110 year anniversary and an awful lot has changed since the inaugural meeting in the Café Royal. However, the fundamental purpose of the Ski Club stays the same - we continue to be responsible for promoting, developing and growing participation in skiing and snowboarding, and spearheading the social snowsports revolution!

On 7 February 2014, all eyes will be on Sochi, Russia, where the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics will be in full swing. After the staggering success of London 2012 where
British athletes inspired a nation with their heroics, we expect nothing less from our exceptionally talented British Ski & Snowboard Team that comprises an abundance of potential medal winners, from James Woods competing in skiing slopestyle, to Billy Morgan and Jenny Jones representing the snowboarding contingent.

The Club is supporting our winter elite athletes on their journey to Sochi 2014. Visit skiclub.co.uk/eliteathletes to meet our Olympic hopefuls, learn more about the wintersports Olympic disciplines and follow all the action on the countdown to Sochi. Only eight British Athletes receive money directly from UK Sport, with other squad members, including all of our Alpine skiers, having to raise substantial sums of money so that they can afford to represent Great Britain at major events. You can support the athletes by giving a small donation via our webpage and any donations that we receive will go directly to support those athletes and their coaches.

There has never been a better chance to encourage people to have a go at skiing or snowboarding, and we’re delighted to support a new national participation campaign, GO SKI GO BOARD, aimed at getting more people into snowsports. For more details visit goskigoboard.org.uk. In addition to this, we’re introducing a beginner membership offering, which we hope will help people take their first tentative steps onto the snow and support them on their journey to becoming fully fledged skiers or snowboarders.

It’s extremely encouraging to see more of you are using the membership benefits, but that doesn’t mean we’re resting on our laurels. We are continuing to focus our efforts on bringing you services and benefits that are relevant and of value to you. But if you feel as though we’re missing a trick, please do drop me a note: frank.mccusker@skiclub.co.uk

Here’s to another great season.

Frank McCusker, Chief Executive

PS. Following your feedback we will shortly be introducing a ‘get you off the mountain’ exclusive Club insurance. Look out for the email that will be dropping into your inbox shortly.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MrD wrote:
I know nothing of the other accusations you make, but I request that in future you only involve people in this argument who actually have knowledge that they are being involved in it.

Its hardly an argument, more one man's crusade for truth, justice, and the whereabouts of the missing woodland trust funds..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nah, Dr Comedy Goldsmith is a quantum pedantist and moral ski leader from the near past who became lost in time following a forum based time travel experiment. He temporarily takes the places of other forum personalities, on a self appointed quest to "put right what once went wrong"; each time hoping that this post will be the leap home
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Latest Alexa global ranking comparison for SCGB -v- snowHeads and - added because its trace is interestingly similar to the SCGB's - j2ski.com .

The rankings on 6 December were:

sH: 85,922
SCGB: 123,255
j2ski: 124,159

The SCGB's site - based on its revised design/content - continues to run at a distant 2nd place. The 2013 SCGB annual report, a few weeks ago, reported:

"Significant development has been made to the website over the last year ... The re-design of the chat forum has seen a big increase in members and non-members chatting with each other ... we foresee the website being a much better tool for attracting new members to the club ...We’ve also continued to develop our use of Social Media over the last year, providing more stories, photos, videos and competitions than ever. As a result we’ve seen a major increase in the number of people following the Club and engaging with us beyond the website."

But it's the SCGB website itself that matters, and the graph suggests that whatever's been added hasn't resulted in a notable upturn in social media activity - for which the SCGB's peculiar forum format is probably partly to blame. The recent annual climb on the graph would be down to holiday planning and the advent of snow reporting for the season.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
looking at the chart, it seems that both scgb and j2ski are closing the gap as the season nears whilst snowheads flatlines.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very true. It's a great shame the Alexa site (though it's free!) doesn't generate a year-on-year comparison, because the real question is where sH and SCGB stood in comparison a year ago. One would expect relative positions to change on a 6-month period, because of the relative importance of snow reports etc. vis-a-vis forum activity.
ski holidays
I was thinking about starting a separate thread as a couple of recent threads including this made me think, which is always a dangerous past time wink

As I've seen in various other sports (kitesurfing and windsurfing), with kiting being the slightly younger demographic, FaceBook has reached out to that audience at the expense of forums. My daughters (both seasonaires) for instance don't do Forums but inhabit FaceBook far more.

I know many on here judging by comments regard FaceBook as probably something worst than the SCGB, but with all this willy waving between who's the best etc whoever establishes a firm FaceBook presence (and could even be a new kid on the block) might be in a far more better position moving forward......

Just a thought Puzzled
snow report
Weathercam, you're correct ... though Facebook isn't indexable or searchable, as such, so the construction of an archived wealth of information and advice works better on a forum. More to the point, you can't very easily scroll through a Facebook page to find topics to take part in.

It's therefore not so conducive to discussion. However, on the subject I've just re-entered from a journalistic/news standpoint, it works really well on a rolling news and information basis ... and is so easy to illustrate and hyperlink/auto-illustrate to other websites. So Facebook pages look nice and colourful. This is what I'm experimenting with at the moment, which involves little daily work ...

skatebank.info
https://www.facebook.com/pages/skatebankinfo/773456046014609
snow report
Weathercam, My kids being slightly younger than yours now only use Facebook for photo's everything else is on Twitter (SnowHeads does have a Twitter account and several Farcebook accounts)
latest report
boredsurfin, what are the SnowHeads "several" FaceBook accounts - I could actually see it working very well for Resort Reports/Reviews etc and for those skiing in one area, or visiting for the first time.

This is my FaceBook page for the wind / kitesurfing site https://www.facebook.com/AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice and this is a good example of a kite club https://www.facebook.com/groups/lancingkitesurfcrew/
ski holidays
Whatever the respective virtues of different web platforms, this thread alone has been running at a rate of around 1000 views per day recently - over double its average (since the total views are c.140,000 over c.350 days).

Apparently this is putting the hamster under severe strain and it will be replaced by a greyhound.
snow conditions
MrD Update [see postings above, starting with http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=2680#2409676 ]

The person we may have assumed was posting here as MrD is saying that he is not MrD ...

Quote:
... please note Mr D on Snowheads and I are not one and the same. This is my last posting on the matter.

Source: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/The-Ski-Club?discussionID=14582#.UqYoayff5xU

Therefore the SCGB member we assumed was MrD was probably not annoyed by having his postings copied to another part of the public domain. However, he now complains of "abuse" (in particular being called "DIDUMS" by another SCGB member). I know how he feels, though the abuse in my case has been proven slander and all sorts of other 'ungentlemanly conduct'.

This bickering old guard of old pissed-off men is not showing the Club in the best light. However, I see that Gerry Aitken is now publicising the social event at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese on 18 December, so perhaps they're starting to see the light ...

Gerry Aitken wrote:
...he's having a party http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=105275#2410349

I'm surprised he isn't holding it in one of his more usual haunts like Hampstead, Notting Hill or Islington or maybe even combining the event with one of his country suppers that he like to have. He's so metro these days.

Source: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=14569#.UqYsdCff5xU

All varieties of humanity are welcome, as far as I'm concerned. And it's nice to suggest something that only the pub is responsible for. But I'm doing a runner if anything goes wrong.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

The person we may have assumed was posting here as MrD is saying that he is not MrD ...

Hardly surprising rolling eyes Another Jerry sock to add to his collection, perchance?
ski holidays
all very sad IMO and I dont mean in the derogatory way, I mean that it makes me feel sad Sad

Comedy Goldsmith, if you have a case against the SKGB then do something constructive about it. You are turning into the lowest of low kind of journalist, who will try any cheap shot so long as its a shot. Take heed and take a long good look at yourself and your actions. Go away and work on your story if you feel there is something amiss.
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, I see no reason to conform to 'standards of journalism' defined by you. The name is 'Comedy Goldsmith' - get it? - and you'll get what you don't pay for.
Maybe order some yellowing copies of the Washington Post or pre-Murdoch Sunday Times and get a butler to iron them for you.

It's not my responsibility to deal with the many widely-aired issues and concerns regarding the Ski Club of Great Britain. Nearly all the factual evidence that you so bossily demand has been published over these 69 pages, so it's time for a bit of fun and festivity. Nothing else has worked.

I shall be writing to the new treasurer of the SCGB shortly. He takes over with a clean slate. Perhaps he will be willing to provide an annualised breakdown of income and expenditure for the Club's environmental fund, which would be an excellent start. Happy now?
latest report
. Shocked

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 10-12-13 0:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, I see no reason to conform to 'standards of journalism' defined by you. The name is 'Comedy Goldsmith' - get it? - and you'll get what you don't pay for.
Maybe order some yellowing copies of the Washington Post or pre-Murdoch Sunday Times and get a butler to iron them for you.

It's not my responsibility to deal with the many widely-aired issues and concerns regarding the Ski Club of Great Britain. Nearly all the factual evidence that you so bossily demand has been published over these 69 pages, so it's time for a bit of fun and festivity. Nothing else has worked.

I shall be writing to the new treasurer of the SCGB shortly. He takes over with a clean slate. Perhaps he will be willing to provide an annualised breakdown of income and expenditure for the Club's environmental fund, which would be an excellent start. Happy now?

oh dear, you should be nice ..... that reads like a PJSKI response ...... it all seems to be imploding now ....

"It's not my responsibility to deal with the many widely-aired issues and concerns regarding the Ski Club of Great Britain"
mmm, you seem to be the only one airing them, and the only one trying to deal with them.

"Nothing else has worked".
an understanding then ... ( I cannot say you didnt give it your best shot )

"Perhaps he will be willing to provide an annualised breakdown of income and expenditure for the Club's environmental fund, which would be an excellent start"
I wouldnt hold your breath ... refer to previous two quotes.

Have you watched the film Megamind ...

"
ski holidays

limegreen1, I wouldn't be airing this stuff if there was no readership ... which is your choice and anyone else's. With a hit rate of about 1000 views per day, this thread presumably has several hundred viewers and several respond daily. Of course one could adopt the 'three monkeys' approach ...

I've not seen Megamind, but once saw 'Billion Dollar Brain'.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, you have - I recall - been known to suggest that failure to disagree with what you write should be construed as agreement with it.

It may be however that many readers of this thread look at it in the same way as traffic slows to gaze at car crashes. And the way you respond to those who have no axe to grind, but disagree with your approach, such as Shimmy Alcott does not do you any favours.

Do you really expect the SCGB to respond to your questions now you are a) not a member, b) say that your solution it it should be wound up?

Anyway time to work - people who turn up late Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoat of the dead wrote:

Do you really expect the SCGB to respond to your questions now you are a) not a member, b) say that your solution it it should be wound up?

I can't see why not. For example, the question of the SCGB's environmental funds was raised on 16 November 2012 by email to the HQ. On 22 November there was a reply saying the information would be provided once the AGM was over. Since then (until now, 12 months later) ... nothing.

Obviously I don't expect those with genuine aspirations and solutions for the Club to agree with it being wound up. Those who keep it going because it's a good way to get a load of expenses-paid skiing (with little accountability in terms of new member recruitment or other productivity) should obviously justify their positions.

As I've said, ad nauseam, the SCGB is the self-styled "voice" and "spokesbody" of British skiers, so its affairs are a legitimate issue in the public domain and non-members have a right to some scrutiny over this "voice".

[I said you'd be back ... after the flounceo. Nice to see you return to the Christmas hearth, as the logs and blogs crackle]
ski holidays
stoat of the dead wrote:

It may be however that many readers of this thread look at it in the same way as traffic slows to gaze at car crashes.

Two dogs shagging on a scruffy street corner would be my preferred analogy. CG/DG seemed like a canny bloke when I met him at Hemel many kilos ago; he had a skiing history that demanded respect. Sadly these inane ramblings serve no purpose apart from to cause friction between the SCGB and this forum and between members of this forum. It would be better for snowHeeeds (SnowHeads Northern Branch) if you took this to another, unlucky forum.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, not a flounceo mate - a decision to avoid nastiness - you know just what you did last time. And look at your attitude to shimmy Sad

Frosty the Snowman, yep that's more like it.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, thanks for popping in. Did you know that this year's Christmas Draw involves your fans doing portraits of you with crayons ... at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=105267#2410818

It would help enormously if you'd sit for us. All your other points are noted.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

1: 'get it?' : no I don't get it.

2: normally I'll 'get' what I want whether I pay for it or not. I do not want this thread to continue but the actions of some (and granted, on this occasion myself too) perpetuate it by posting on it. So it's not a case of 'you'll get what you don't pay for" it's more likely "you'll get what I decide you should get despite the opinions and protestations of many"
ski holidays
Once again if you don't like the content don't open the thread.

It's Admins site and it's up to him and no one else if a thread continues to exist. If that upsets you drop him a line.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 10-12-13 11:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:

I can hide or ignore posters, I really wish I could do the same for threads.
snow conditions
feef, I'm sure that you could ignore the thread when you read the index, and not press the button to open the thread?

With over 141,000 views of this thread I suggest that you are in a tiny minority wanting the thread discontinued.
ski holidays
I think this thread will creak on up to its first birthday next week and then start to wither - I mean, what the hell else is there left to discuss? We've had Hitler a few pages back and now crayon portraits of FtS. I note PJSki has stopped posting on it probably because that just prolonged the Skeeb's agony. If I were them I'd go back to being an MO forum or just have a closed Facebook group - seems to be very few non-members posting on there and I suspect the members would feel happier if their stuff was kept among themselves. Not all business decisions work out and there's always a time to retreat.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, there is virtually no-one posting on the SCGB forum. Memebers or not - no perceivable differnce. When it re-opened it's doors I eventually managed to re-register there, discovered that posters names on old pre-MO day posts had been altered, got it fixed (thanks to anyone from SCGB who is reading this and took action), made a few constructive suggestions (one at least endorsed by Gerry - but none implemented). Then gave up - as I am just about to do on this thread.
ski holidays
IIRC the pre-MO forum also had a MO section for SKGB members to post "privately". It was livelier than the current incarnation....and that is saying something rolling eyes

boredsurfin wrote:

It's Admins site and it's up to him and no one else if a thread continues to exist. If that upsets you drop him a line.

This! Although I am sure Admin has better things to do than pamper to those who can't exercise any self-restraint in terms of opening a thread rolling eyes
snow report
This thread's rapidly evolving into a combination of people who make a big flounceo (e.g. stoat) or just wish it would all end (e.g. feef).

Fortunately there are more enlightened people to point this out (e.g. boredsurfin) and argumentative humourists (e.g. Swiller).

I predict that this thread will be around for as long as the Ski Club of Great Britain is around - a simple question of procreation (sperm count, ignorance of rhythm method, general breeding etc.)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy