Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
George Jones wrote:
The two new board members draw attention to the age profile issue and will presumably look to address it. Good luck to them. In difficult economic times the younger generation seem to be the worst affected. If skiing is possible it may have to be on a shoe string.

The age profile issue is not one of money that reduced membership prices etc will solve, it's one of relevance.

Take a look at Wikipedia for example (the youth's encyclopedia of choice) and consider which of these organisations looks like it has a purpose, and which is a museum?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Yachting_Association

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_Club_of_Great_Britain

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 27-11-13 19:54; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
albinomountainbadger wrote:
George Jones wrote:
The two new board members draw attention to the age profile issue and will presumably look to address it. Good luck to them. In difficult economic times the younger generation seem to be the worst affected. If skiing is possible it may have to be on a shoe string.

The age profile issue is not one of money that reduced membership prices etc will solve, it's one of relevance.

Take a look at Wikipedia for example (the youth's encyclopedia of choice) and consider which of these organisations looks like it has a purpose, and which is a museum?

I did not say reduced membership was the answer. One of the new board members admits her offspring will not be joining and I doubt cost was the issue.

''My family are strong and enthusiastic skiers, yet as my children
approach their twenties they will soon become part of the generation
currently lost to the Ski Club. Our membership overall represents a
small proportion of the UK skiing population. A larger and more agebalanced
Club would create the funding security to allow us to increase
the depth and breadth of services to the benefit of all.
The Ski Club is fantastic, but in today’s competitive world it is not
alone in facing financial, strategic and operational challenges.
However, unlike other organisations, the Club must meet these
challenges while protecting and nurturing the club culture that is so
rightly highly valued by its membership. I believe these conflicting
requirements can be tackled through a pragmatic approach''

Similar sentiments were voiced in the audience. If leaders cannot persuade their sons and daughters to join it does not look good.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 27-11-13 20:01; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller wrote:
First thing I'd say is: "think we need to drop the +Board"

Well you'd better not apply then, Swiller.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
George Jones, no and I don't mean to put words in your mouth (keyboard?), I was addressing the new first time and family member fees as they seem to be the only actions so far to motivating young people. I know the SCGB has a publicity department, my point is this should get some new blood and stop concentrating on providing rent-a-quotes to the Daily Telegraph.

I don't know if you clicked on the above links, but Wikipedia's independence warning system* suggests that the SCGB entry comes directly from the SCGB, so even when writing a PR piece about their organisation, the best the team can produce is that they used to organise ski races and they now run a charity campaign.

More space in the entry is given over to listing the names of board presidents from the 1950s than anything else. It's pretentious alumni crap. Universities know better than to market themselves by listing the names of all their former chancellors; the SCGB should take note. Those born in the 1990s and drawn to skiing by watching James Woods spin around upside down are being turned away by the club's presentation of itself.

*may not be correct terminology.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
albinomountainbadger, an identity crisis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller wrote:
George Jones

I went to the ski show twice. Bumped into some nice SCGB people a number of times. Not once did anyone even enquire as to whether I'm a member or not. To some people the idea of promotion is to stand around trying to look smiley and helpful, whereas you have to knock doors down.

I was a SC leader back in 2000 and recruited 2 guys on the plane over to Banff! They never knew the SC existed and were keen to sample the leading days with me, they had a great time!
I've been out of it for 7/8 years, but am doing my refresher course with the SC in Tignes in a few weeks and looking forward after that to taking groups around the mountain and getting the best out of their holiday, what's not to like?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well done KenX.

Banff is no longer a leader resort. Come to think of it, there was no presence when I was there either. Utah lasted for just Olympic year, but there used to be more just Jackson Hole and Aspen on offer in the US.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
albinomountainbadger wrote:

Yes, indeed - have a comparative click. A salutary note, demonstrative of a Club whose 30,000 (claimed) members are so apathetic to describing it that the Wikipedia entry has actually shrunk over the years. The 'notable presidents' section is also a little lacking in detail. For example, Sir Arnold Lunn (most influential British skier in history) isn't listed.

More recently, Sally Cartwright OBE (former publishing director of Hello! magazine) and Robert Swan OBE (first person to walk on skis to the North and South poles) were SCGB presidents.

--------

By the way, in terms of digitising the 'Sir Arnold Lunn Library' (official name of the main White House meeting room) ... the main thing is to scan (and make available for key-word searching) the run of British Ski Yearbook editions from 1905 onwards, as published by the SCGB. This would not incur great expense, in the general scheme of things. British skiers need to rediscover their roots and potential.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
British skiers need to rediscover their roots and potential.

Why?

Shouldn't this be about the future, not the past? Not about old gits like you and I?

Do you think you could state your opinions as opinions, not ex cathedra truths?

The mag, the archive, Eaton square... They are all history.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoat of the dead, OK Dad.

You'll be distressed to know that I've launched a Facebook page in the past 48 hours ... skatebank.info ...

... https://www.facebook.com/pages/skatebankinfo/773456046014609 ... dedicated to the "future, present and history of skateboarding at the southbank"

Who's going to join me in buying a new skateboard for 2014? Archives are not "history" - they are a source of knowledge, for heaven's sakes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoat of the dead wrote:
Do you think you could state your opinions as opinions, not ex cathedra truths?

Are you implying that his statements are issued as he sits on the (Papal) throne?...... Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Also ... archiving is a big factor these days, completely ignored by the Skeeb. It still has a library, which should be digitised. A mobile skiing museum would be great. There's been a terrible lack of application to ski history in the UK over the past 50 years - the British had a very important role in the development of this sport, and we should celebrate it!

It is hardly the Ancient Library of Alexandria - just a few bookcases. An intern could digitise it in half a day with time to spare. Not really a big issue except that most people are not hugely interested - rightly or wrongly.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How about Snowsports England? They offer a Supporter Membership which includes a magazine, some unnecessary discounts and an option to go on an annual holiday. Membership is £15 per household (up to 6 people).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith, I think the changes proposed to the skatepark are very disappointing.

But that's the young and the future. Not the old.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
God, I remember skateboarding at Southbank in 1975......................
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
God, I remember skateboarding at Southbank in 1975......................

You will remember David then, putting a potty on your head. He was the original gangsta of head gear.
snow conditions
Quote:

except that most people are not hugely interested - rightly or wrongly.

seems true of the formalities of the SCGB too; not being nasty, just what Ive concluded.
ski holidays
Another 2 pages of this garbage today ... You all need to get out more Shocked Shocked

I only hope that the perception people have of Snowheads is not influence by CG and the moaning crew rolling eyes
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
stoat of the dead wrote:

How do you think the club - of which neither of us are members now - should change?

Thank you for asking.

As previously stated, I think it should be changed by being closed down. That doesn't mean we don't need a skier-owned organisation - far from it - but I'd advocate a non-profit trust

Why are the two mutually exclusive?
snow conditions
Phyllis Stein wrote:
Another 2 pages of this garbage today ... You all need to get out more Shocked Shocked

I only hope that the perception people have of Snowheads is not influence by CG and the moaning crew rolling eyes

Good contribution (not) rolling eyes
ski holidays
Thanks halfhand, ... This thread is way too highbrow for my tiny Brian ... Have you considered writing to the Daily Moan sorry Mail about this ...
latest report
I can't even spell see .. Brain not Brian ... No idea who Brian is ... Maybe another alter ego on Snowheads
snow report
Phyllis Stein wrote:
garbage
Indeed.
ski holidays
meanwhile back in the real world:

On the rocks wrote:
Well week commencing 1 December it looks like there will be 91 SCGB members in Val d'Isere for their Premier Party and around 83 Snowheads Bashees in Tigne (of course many attendees will have a foot in both camps). All in all it looks like a fantastic week's skiing for all concerned; what it should be all about rather than a 57 page year long internet spat.

With the seasonal festivities approaching maybe we should arrange a friendly football match in no man's land between the two valleys to put this to bed once and for all? It would be great if CG could come out to referee and maybe even ski with both camps too?

However I fear a more likely prospect is the sight of a sad solitary figure attempting to hand out a big stack of copies of his correspondence with the SCGB to all and sundry only to see them scattered to the wind as everybody flies past him whooping with the joy and exhilaration of skiing. Very Happy

So who (on this thread) is likely to be out there next week? it would be interesting and fun to meet up and discuss things in real space....
snow conditions
Phyllis Stein, A tiny Brian? Would that be the Messiah or the very naughty "small" boy Toofy Grin
snow report
On the rocks, I won't be but you'll need some useful words and phrases. Don't forget, standard greeting is "air, hair, lair" and if someone does something really good you need to have "chapeau" at the ready. That should help break the ice, look like you're making the effort.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, aw, that sounds a bit mean
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, the stereotype is alive and well I can assure you and then there are those who put it on for fun.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, On the rocks seems like he's willing to reserve judgement of people - so shouldn't we? I'm all for a laugh and a joke - but this thread is far from that Sad
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
First thing I'd say is: "think we need to drop the +Board"

I think it's funnier if they keep it.

I'd not be so sure people will want to pay £60 for a uk website with a probably unreliable weather forecast on it when you can get the best data more directly for free. The SCGB may not grok the net, but the rest of us have no such issues. I'd not be banking on that to save this beast.

Does anyone have a full list of the people on the committee so I can check the backgrounds of them? I'm just wondering how representative they are, if the chairman is after representing our sport? I still can't remember sight nor sound of them from when I learned, which seems odd. Anyone would think they were only representing a fairly narrow section, which I'm sure is an incorrect impression. I mean, it's not just a club for posh holiday skiers now, is it?
latest report
Indeed, I found on my Snowheads bash last year the mean coefficient of poshness was slightly higher than that of the SCGB trips I've been on, or on the days I 've met up with other SCGB members when on my billy in Argentiere
ski holidays
On the rocks, ah, well when I can afford an extra trip away, on a bash, without the family, I will soon bring it into balance Wink
latest report
On the rocks wrote:
Indeed, I found on my Snowheads bash last year the mean coefficient of poshness was slightly higher than that of the SCGB trips I've been on, or on the days I 've met up with other SCGB members when on my billy in Argentiere

Ah. There was much talk when snowHeads was formed about the SCGB being for toffs. Are we the toffs now?
snow conditions
Quote:

"air, hair, lair"

Laughing Laughing
snow report
Funny isn't it? We have Swiller implying the club is too posh, and CG posting GAs details repeatedly, which are far from posh.

I've met and skied with a real mix of people with both sH and the SKGB, and a real mix of ages. Probably a wider range of social class at both ends of things with the SCGB though. SnowHeads is a bit more middle class. In the days when I went to the Ski show, I too was surprised at how poor the SCGB was at selling memberships, but I also remember a bunch of snowHeads clustered on the sH stand who were not really going out and spreading the message.

So can we please stop the silly chippy class warfare?

philwig, err... I know it is rather boring to do so, but if you read CGs posts you'd have seen a list.
latest report
More remarkable is the inclusiveness/clique issue.

How a club gets to a situation where it expels one of its most enthusiastic (obsessive) members rather than harnessing that enthusiasm, or simply responding to a few questions is beyond me.

The PR fall out is not helpful. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
latest report
stoat of the dead, I'm only having fun with it. Most Skeebers I've met are what you'd call "normal". I used to go Eaton Square occasionally back in the day and then the place was definitely a Hooray hangout.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

Ah. There was much talk when snowHeads was formed about the SCGB being for toffs. Are we the toffs now?

My you are up late!

I've heard Snowheads described on more than one occasion (not by me I add) as UKIP on Skis. Although TGR clams the forums are a "Middle England Gaper Fest" (something to do with Gap year skiing? Shocked ). So there is obviously a perception out there. Ski Club are Toffs and Braying Hoorays, Snowheads are the not so squeezed Middle.

KenX> God, I remember skateboarding at Southbank in 1975......................

Fascinating stuff from Mr Goldsmith I must say but no need to call him God, Dave will do.
latest report
philwig wrote:

Does anyone have a full list of the people on the committee so I can check the backgrounds of them?

This list - directors of Ski Club of Great Britain Limited (it's the full list of elected members of Council, plus Tim Whelan who is a SCGB employee and company secretary) - is extracted from a posting I made some pages ago ...

NB. This is based essentially on Companies House data, plus the electoral info. in the SCGB 2013 annual report, but is not verified by the SCGB itself ...

Robert Crowder (chairman)
Malcolm Bentley (treasurer)
Tim Whelan (SCGB financial controller)
Patrick Usborne
Mark Borland
Gerald Aitken
Alan Lyons
Richard Bird
Paul Whitehead

They will be joined, following last week's AGM, by two newly-elected Council members ...
Ian Holt
Kim Moss
snow report
At least Kim has managed the art of the Selfie, could be useful for selling the SCGB to the yoof market

https://en-gb.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=536093136450722&set=p.536093136450722&type=1&theater
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy