Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
I think the Leader service is the Ski Club's USP. Discounts and insurance are available elsewhere.

Tour operator guides could offer an alternative for some. Unlike CG(I think), I believe the leader service is worthwhile. I do believe it needs to be scrutinised to see where it is most effective though. £200k of funds gets allocated to it. That is a sizeable amount of money.

What use is a leader with no members?

Well it flies the flag in a resort maybe. It bumps up numbers of 'leader resorts' that can be claimed on the internet. Maybe it offers inexpensive skiing to the leaders involved, provided they don't get lonely. It also makes use of the free accommodation some resorts are happy to provide. I am not sure that 'unemployed' leaders can easily be moved to oversubscribed resorts as I suspect the club does not want to fund the extra accommodation that may be required.

It is also difficult when you are operating with volunteers to expect them to achieve targets of new members signed up. Perhaps that is one reason for a lack of transparency?

Great play was made of the Fresh Tracks holiday sector and how well it was doing. I see that as almost a separate business - a couple of thousand upmarket, expensive holidays. As our friend down the front discovered, it is not easy to establish a separate profit figure for this sector as it shares much of the Club's infrastructure.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NeddySkiGoon,
Quote:

Not sure why I'm drawn to this thread, could be the "childish politics". I nearly always have a quick look when I see a new post. Probably a bit sad, but who cares, I find it entertaining.

+1 on following this thread and finding it entertaining. Beats the "which ski socks" threads hands down Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is the first time I have looked at anything scgb related.

Strikes me, if were the audit
1. £1.1m subs div by 30000 = £36 so either many aren't paying or the number is overstated. £1.1m/60 =18000
2. The turnover for the holiday co is nearly double the subs, so effectively scgb is more of a TO than a sports club.
3. The subs are high, at £62 our climbing club subs are £25 and you get the use of a nice cottage for that, it seems a single element is driving the costs, the ski leaders, maybe they need to charge separately for that, then people that don't want it might join.

I guess this has already been said but hay ho. If the membership was more reasonable say £30-£40 I might join, but I'm in snowheads so I don't need to. Snowheads insurance, thinks..

I thought most threads were dominated by socks one way or another.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jbob wrote:
This is the first time I have looked at anything scgb related.

Strikes me, if were the audit
1. £1.1m subs div by 30000 = £36 so either many aren't paying or the number is overstated. £1.1m/60 =18000

Family rather than individual memberships?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob, feef, It's about £1.1m divided by about 16k paying members = more like £70

The 30k membership number includes family members.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Goldsmith, will you kindly stop attributing other people's comments to me. Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seconds Out ……… Round 3
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The thread that goes on giving snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is Gerry " the" Gerry ? you know the Gerry that was only pjski Gerry because someone else said it was ? Is Gerry suggesting that the Gerry of Pjski Gerry infamy is or was an antagonist based on the real Gerry at the heart of the SCGB. Merely a ghost account set up and a faux pas set up with some derisional prompting from those with an agenda, which in turn gestated into a platform whereby the arguement was carried out on both sides by one, ultimately controlling the outcome ? Bring on David Icke, shaggy and Scooby
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh God no ... No more pain! ... I can't take any more of this bitter pedantic cobblers from the Comedy fella ... Please stop .. Please .. rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Laughing

Very Happy Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 24-11-13 22:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Phyllis Stein, Stop opening the thread then.
You choose.
The SCGB started this thread but YOU have the choice to read it or not!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin wrote:
Phyllis Stein, Stop opening the thread then.
You choose.
The SCGB started this thread but YOU have the choice to read it or not!

No... DG dunnit. It was him all along. Gotama 86, Pjski et al = DG.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
err no..
windymiller wrote:
User: Gotoma86
IP: 195.***.***.***
Hostname: 195.***.***.***
ISP: British Telecommunications
Organization: Ski club of Great Britain
Services: None detected
Type: Broadband
Assignment: Static IP
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd love to see the IP info for Gerry and PJSki. It could rule out at least one conspiracy theory. Or it might just mean someone logs on from home as well as work. Still, we know where "work" is, very similar to Gotoma86.
ski holidays
User: boredsurfin

Twisted Evil
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
err no ????..
windymiller wrote:
User: Comedy Goldsmith
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Countless people have 'accused' PJSki of being Gerry Aitken, and (could be wrong here) I don't think he's ever denied it.
snow conditions
does gerry aitken post on snowheads ????? Shocked

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 24-11-13 23:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:
does gerry aitken post on snowheads ?????
Not as Gerry Aitken, so far as I'm aware.

Quote:
if hes not pjski ...has he even seen the thread ?
I guess only he can answer that! Laughing
latest report
Hmmm... I'm getting

User: boredsurfin
ISP: Lidl online
Organization: Stirrers Club of Great Britain
Services: No room service
Type: Broadband but rather slow

wink
snow report

Whatever and whoever Gerry Aitken is, it's for him to set out what he's contributing to the health and prosperity of the Ski Club of Great Britain, particularly in terms of its critical social media situation. One doesn't stand for re-election to the board (in 2011, for four more years) without presumably believing that one has done great things the first time round (2005-8).

Rather than alleging misrepresentation (there's pretty conclusive evidence earlier in this thread that PJSki = Gerry Aitken), Gerry might be better self-served by addressing the six questions on page 56 of this thread and his intriguing desire for "like-minded people" in an "inclusive community" ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=2200#2392442

As we enter the 2013-4 ski season, snowHeads (despite not being membership-owned) might be described as the more credible 'like-minded people in an inclusive community'. How does the SCGB more purposefully define itself right now, particularly in the context of its historical roots?

Gerry Aitken is one member of a board comprising a dozen-or-so directors of Ski Club of Great Britain Limited. The panel (above right) gives Companies House information for the past two years, including the 3-week directorship of SCGB CEO Frank McCusker in Aug/Sep of 2012. The new appointment of Tim Whelan (SCGB financial controller) as company secretary means that this position will not be performed by the new treasurer Malcolm Bentley, who takes over from Steven Brabbs (treasurer since 2008 and previous company secretary).

As far as I can gather (this would need verification) the board of SCGB directors currently comprises:

Robert Crowder (chairman)
Malcolm Bentley (treasurer)
Tim Whelan (SCGB financial controller)
Patrick Usborne
Mark Borland
Gerald Aitken
Alan Lyons
Richard Bird
Paul Whitehead

They will be joined, following last week's AGM, by two newly-elected Council members ...
Ian Holt
Kim Moss

Since Mark Borland (also elected last week) was a pre-existing SCGB director, one assumes that he originally joined the board of directors (in Mar 2013) as a co-opted member of Council, but this could be confirmed by the Club.

In relation to points made above about the SCGB's role as a tour operator, and the significance of this in its turnover/internal profit etc., it's important to remember that the Skeeb runs a separate company called Ski Club Winter Arrangements Limited (crazy name, dreamed up in the eccentric era of Eaton Square) which operates Ski Club Freshtracks holidays. The board of SCWA Ltd is quite different, comprising only three directors (as far as one can make out from the Companies House file) ...

Frank McCusker (SCGB CEO)
Tim Whelan (SCGB financial controller)
Robert Crowder (SCGB chairman)

... but that needs verification.

A full understanding of the SCGB is only possible with a grip of the accounts of Ski Club Winter Arrangements Ltd. and their inter-relationship with the SCGB's accounts as a whole, so maybe this could be explored by a member of this 'inclusive community of like-minded people'.

Is there a bean counter in the house?

latest report
Gerry wrote:
Goldsmith, will you kindly stop attributing other people's comments to me. Thanks in advance.

Laughing

PJSki, I'm impressed that you still remember the password of your old log-in. Respect!
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Is there a bean counter in the house?

I think the newly elected Kim is a chartered accountant.
snow report
George Jones wrote:
I think the newly elected Kim is a chartered accountant.

Ah . . . a magic bean counter . . .
ski holidays
I think Malcolm Brabbs is a chartered accountant too. So bean counters on the board.
snow conditions
The SCGB's auditors and lawyers

As I've rediscovered in personal terms recently, the Ski Club of Great Britain is enthusiastically advised by external professionals ... including its solicitors and auditors. The latter are a firm called Alliotts of Guildford in Surrey.

Alliotts have been the SCGB's auditors since 1986 - a 27-year relationship - originally 'Alliott Peirson' and 'Alliott Bullimore', then based in Croydon.

The Financial Times: "Regulatory threat hangs over long-term auditing links"
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/94450a8e-dbdc-11e2-a861-00144feab7de.html#axzz2le4rAvmu

Quote:
"... longstanding relationships that regulators worry makes auditors too cosy with those they are supposed to be vetting" ... "The Competition Commission is considering whether to impose a policy of mandatory rotation, which would force big companies to change audit firms periodically, perhaps as often as every seven years" ... "Last year the Financial Reporting Council changed corporate governance guidelines to encourage the UK’s largest quoted companies to put their audit out to tender at least once a decade – though the tender might well result in no more than the incumbent firm being reappointed."

Of course, there's nothing to suggest that the Ski Club of Great Britain hasn't re-tendered its auditing in the past 27 years and nothing would suggest that a cosy relationship exists.

The SCGB's auditors prior to 1986 were Ernst & Whinney [subsequent to a 1989 merger, Ernst & Young]

The SCGB's lawyers, as far as I'm aware, remain the firm Stones, based in Exeter. Paul Maxlow-Tomlinson, a former senior partner of Stones (he joined the firm in 1972) was chairman of the SCGB from 1982 to 1987 and also served with the FIS and British Ski Federation. As far as I know Paul Maxlow-Tomlinson is no longer linked to the firm. He was instrumental in the Club forming two limited liability companies in the 1980s - Ski Club Services Ltd. (now dormant) and Ski Club Winter Arrangements Ltd. - to help protect the SCGB (i.e. its members) from liability in ski accident cases etc.

In 2011, the SCGB's legal threats towards snowHeads were transmitted by Stones solicitors.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
The SCGB's auditors and lawyers

The SCGB's auditors prior to 1986 were Ernst & Whinney [subsequent to a 1989 merger, Ernst & Young]

Ernst and Young had to pay $123 million to the US government to avoid prosecution. Big is not always beautiful.

An audit is a fairly limited operation anyway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

In 2011, the SCGB's legal threats towards snowHeads were transmitted by Stones solicitors.

As recently as that. What were these threats?
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Quote:

It was a custody battle for DG, neither party wanted him.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Quote:

I'm astonished that you should have to ask that question, given your 24/7 monitoring of this channel. The SCGB has apparently obtained an international trademark for the phrase "Ski Club" and is hunting down any alternative vendors.
[Edit/legal note: that was a satirical exaggeration]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 25-11-13 12:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Am I the only one that has worked out that the three people who volunteered were elected unopposed, and that if DG were a member he could have stood for the same? Was there another spare position on the board?
snow report
Mistress Panda, that's correct: Ian Holt, Kim Moss and Mark Borland are now SCGB Council members, elected unopposed last Thursday. There were three vacant positions. I was a SCGB Council member from 1988 and don't think it would be appropriate for me to seek re-election (which would be impossible in current circumstances) given my current views.
snow report
George Jones wrote:
I think Malcolm Brabbs is a chartered accountant too.

I think you've merged two chartered accountants. It's a takeover - by Malcolm Bentley - rather than a merger with Steven Brabbs.
snow conditions
Filthyphil30k wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:
Quote:

It was a custody battle for DG, neither party wanted him.

Aha! There was a rumour early in this thread that Jerry Aikten and Comedy Gold. were one in the same. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Mistress Panda wrote:
Am I the only one that has worked out that the three people who volunteered were elected unopposed, and that if DG were a member he could have stood for the same? Was there another spare position on the board?

There was not another position available but when he was still a member he could have stood providing he could have got a proposer and seconder, which might have been possible as he still knows some members personally from times gone by, who possibly might have proposed him.

I think there are many ski club members on this board, some whom I recognise and make valuable contributions to various discussions. I suspect there are many more who just do not want to involve themselves. Snowheads has become easily the most successful skiing message board forum in the UK and ski club members whom I have actually spoken to, although that is a small sample, are quite happy with that situation.

If I am correct that there are plenty of us here, David in this Internet age, had the perfect medium to get his message across. Whether he would have got elected or not is of course a different matter.

He was actually on the ski club council some time in the past, although I do not know when, nor why he chose to resign, but by resigning IMHO he let down the people who proposed him and voted for him.

Perhaps he could have got voted in again but with electability also comes responsibility.
snow report
philwig wrote:

You should never, ever post if you don't like a thread.

ROFLMAO
snow report
richjp wrote:
Mistress Panda wrote:

There was not another position available but when he was still a member he could have stood providing he could have got a proposer and seconder, which might have been possible as he still knows some members personally from times gone by, who possibly might have proposed him.

I would have joined the club just to propose him, if he were prepared to stand. I'm sure there would be someone else with a sense of humour who would have seconded it Smile
ski holidays
Mistress Panda, I believe I did offer to second David at least once, back in the day. And he could easily have got proposed if he really wanted to.

Then - if he had not been voted on to the council - he could have asked himself if he really had a mandate for his crusade. If he had been, he could have actually had some influence.

There have been many contested elections in the past - including an attempt a few years ago by a group from VDI with a specific agenda. When they were not elected despite some publicity here and elsewhere, they did the democratic thing and didn't keep banging on about their disagreements with the clubs policies.
snow conditions
stoat of the dead wrote:
... Then - if he had not been voted on to the council - he could have asked himself if he really had a mandate for his crusade. If he had been, he could have actually had some influence.

To the outsider that looks rather different. If you'd not thrown him out, you could have claimed he had no mandate. Instead you left him no choice other than to hang your dirty washing out in public, where you have no control over it at all.

For £24 I'd certainly join and second Mr CG just to watch the sport. How many votes does it take to get someone elected? Maybe "SnowHeads" should plan a coup? Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy