Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

4180 copies of each issue were given away last year

They've got to do something with the copies they can't sell Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's all this vindictiveness towards the Ski Club GB about? I and my family have been members for over 10 years now and have received quite a lot of benefit from our membership with the discounts we receive when buying skis/ snowboards, clothing etc. Enough to pay for the membership and more!

I also had the opportunity to ski with one of their leaders in Banff last season and saw some parts of the mountain that I would have not have found if skiing on my own. Ye,s I agree that in the past their image has been a little 'stuffy' and 'middle aged-class' but they are trying to move on from that and as a 53 year old skier that loves free ride type skiing and off piste ventures I think their Freshtracks holidays look pretty decent.

So how about getting off their back and just accept they they are part of our great skiing community?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The vindictiveness between them and us finished about 8 years ago.

Most sH are either members that make use of the benefits, or not members and have no use for those benefits.

It's only Goldsmith and 1 Ski Club member that seek attention and keep poking. Not sure whether Goldsmith is more concerned about the history of a historic club or just trying to get the badge of being the most persistent poster to a thread that 99.999% of sH couldn't care less about, and get some kind of special post count award for getting his thread to the top of the number of views chart (despite the fact it was started by a Ski Club member, not him).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andy wrote:
The vindictiveness between them and us finished about 8 years ago.

On an official level that seems rather inaccurate, historically. snowHeads received a series of legal threats from the SCGB during 2011, claiming ownership of the phrase "Ski Club". There have been more recent claims of inter-club squabbles on the slopes of Tignes, though I wasn't a witness.

andy wrote:
Not sure whether Goldsmith is more concerned about the history of a historic club or just trying to get the badge of being the most persistent poster

Neither. I'd have thought it was obvious by now that these postings are journalistic - i.e. intended to assist in drawing out the truths and fairness of a situation, rather than some sort of personal hang-up. And when I say "truths", that's to say truths in all dimensions - holistically. The SCGB asserts its status as a "spokesbody" or "voice" of British skiers [words in quotes are those of the Club] - and is active in the public domain and national media. The Club holds very significant archives, a library and other physical resources that are - indeed - important in the story of British skiing. I'm concerned about the way the SCGB operates, what it says, and why it seems to run in the interests of a small minority of its members (about 10% to 15%) at the expense of all members. History - particularly in terms of the founding goals and values of the Ski Club of Great Britain - is certainly important in looking at all this in perspective.

andy wrote:
... it was started by a Ski Club member, not him).

That's wrong as well. It seemed pretty obvious from the OP (original posting/poster) that this thread commenced from the SCGB's HQ, and was probably started by a non-member (member of staff).

Andy, I understand that you're a rocket scientist. This is not rocket science!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
musher wrote:
Quote:

4180 copies of each issue were given away last year

They've got to do something with the copies they can't sell Toofy Grin

Unsold copies get pulped. Based on only 723 sales, it could be that maybe 3-4000 get pulped assuming a 20%ish sell-through.

The 4180 copies you mention appear to go out free in airline lounges. Only it's not free - publishers have to pay an amount per copy to give them away free. Poor members pay for that eh? Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Unsold copies get pulped.

It's true (not pulp fiction). They don't go to Oxfam shops.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
street arc, A little bit of history of snowHeads and the SCGB is to be found here, from 2004

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41
If you are really interested there is a SCGB section on snowHeads but you may need a ski host or perhaps a leader to find it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
street arc wrote:
What's all this vindictiveness towards the Ski Club GB about?

I've been told Goldsmith hates the Ski Club of Great Britain because he wasn't given the editorship of the mag, Ski Survey, way back in the 80s. The SCGB's Council didn't want him and, as the Council was made up mostly of Club Leaders (Reps as they were then), he especially hates the Leading service.

He's spent the last 30-years trying to get his own back.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PJSki/Gerry Aitken/Tim Brown/Pippin [Sock Club of Great Britain. 25% year-on-year membership expansion],

Sure that makes perfect sense. The six most recent editors of the SCGB's magazines (commencing with my first article in 1976) - that's Elisabeth Hussey, Tessa Coker, Roland White, Jane Slade, Gill Williams and Arnie Wilson - clearly all believe I have a terminal grudge against leaders/reps of the Club because of not inheriting the editor's office chair (once occupied by the literary buttocks of Sir Arnold Lunn).

Yes, that makes absolutely perfect sense. All six of these editors have commissioned me to write ski articles for them because they think I'm after their job.

Have you thought of entering for 'Troll of the Year' at the World Snow Awards? You're a dead cert.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David the same might be said of you.

But you are politer than PJski.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you. I'd politely point out to the brasshole who produced the 'Net Troll Award' that it has three mis-spellings. This does not assist its prestige.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Comedy Goldsmith, you were passed up for the editorship. Obviously you thought you were in line for the top job. The fact subsequent editors kept you on as a mere infrequent contributor has no bearing on the fact your appointment was blocked by the Council, hence the large chip on your shoulder.

Several sources have confirmed these facts to me. BTW, not seen any of your articles in Ski & Board in recent years, so clearly you've been dropped completely.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 11-10-13 18:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PJSki wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, you were past up for the editorship.

You'd be passed up (for editorship) as well, for that.
PJSki wrote:
Obviously you thought you were in line for the top job.

Correct - that's why one applies for a job.
PJSki wrote:
The fact subsequent editors kept you on as a mere infrequent contributor

Infrequent contributor? I was equipment editor of the magazine for 4 out of 6 of those editors!
PJSki wrote:
your appointment was blocked by the Council

Maybe. Alternatively, the appointment was given to a superior candidate. What's next?
PJSki wrote:
large chip on your shoulder.

Carried too many skis on ski tests for the magazine. Occupational hazard.
PJSki wrote:
Several sources have confirmed these facts to me.

Several Chinese whisperers, in a phone box. They're not facts.
PJSki wrote:
not seen any of your articles in Ski & Board in recent years, so clearly you've been dropped completely.

I did one about the pre-history and history of ski equipment for the centennial edition of the magazine in 2003. Sorry you've been kept waiting so long!
... And have a nice weekend, Gerry
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

PJSki wrote:
The fact subsequent editors kept you on as a mere infrequent contributor

Infrequent contributor? I was equipment editor of the magazine for 4 out of 6 of those editors!

You make it sound so grand, but all you were was a part-timer on a part-time ski mag. Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If I gave a poo-poo......
latest report
Goldsmith doesnt need your poo poo, he's already full of it.
snow report
If Carlsberg did forums...
snow report
even a 4 yr old could do more grown up arguments... ffs...
snow report
mcspreader wrote:
poo-poo

PJSki wrote:
poo poo

Should it be hyphenated, or unhyphenated?
I couldn't give a shit! [apologies to sH auto-poo translator]
snow conditions

It's a quiet autumn on the (other) New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum but SCGB director Gerry Aitken has decided to set the cat amongst the pigeons (or the vole amongst the marmottes, to be snowier).

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=14511#.Um0xtlPf5xU

The SCGB promise/policy couldn't be clearer on this ...
Quote:
Every evening, Leaders also host a social hour where you can relax with other members after a memorable day of thrills and spills on the slopes.

[ Source: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiclubleaders/whyskiwithaskiclubleader.aspx#.Um00H1Pf5xU ]

... so if Leaders (reps) aren't organising drinkies, that's yet another decline in service/contact/purpose. Why aren't the Club's directors simply encouraging the policy to be followed, rather than 'going public' on it? When I first joined the SCGB in the 1960s the Club had a good social scene going in the resorts. There were informative posters/bulletins up in all hotels etc. where British skiers were staying, lots of weekly ski proficiency tests (bronze, silver, gold) to encourage members to ski better, and the rest of the programme. The reps recruited most new members.

On top of the massive cost increases of installing SCGB reps in resorts, matched by the big decline in members skiing with them, maybe it's time to call it a day. This service seems increasingly redundant.

In the meantime, is Gerry Aitken right? Should the SCGB provide its members with what they're promised?
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, you may be talking about different things. I read apres-ski drinks to be stopping off for a few straight after skiing and not the advertised social hour.
ski holidays
You seem to be correct, AB Ski, since the thread concerned ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=14511#.Um1OXlPf5xU

... now has additional comment to that effect.

As for SCGB reps joining their groups for an apres-ski drink (i.e. immediately after skiing), I guess they're in a similar situation to any instructor or guide (in that regard only). It's up to them!
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
You seem to be correct, AB Ski, since the thread concerned ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=14511#.Um1OXlPf5xU

... now has additional comment to that effect.

Although comments by Kevin Stephens about only using the leader system in Argentiere merely add to the confusion. There's no ski club rep in La Grave!

As for SCGB reps joining their groups for an apres-ski drink (i.e. immediately after skiing), I guess they're in a similar situation to any instructor or guide (in that regard only). It's up to them!

What are you going on about?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 28-10-13 15:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
PJSki, you've inserted quoted words that don't exist. Your post states "edited 1 time in total".

I suggest you re-edit it!
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
PJSki, you've inserted quoted words that no longer exist after I removed them realising my stupid mistake. Your post states "edited 1 time in total".

Fixed that for you
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
PJSki, you've inserted quoted words that don't exist. Your post states "edited 1 time in total".

It's what you typed. You must have edited while I was replying and before I posted.

I'm sure someone else read it and can confirm it's what you posted.
snow report
On the rocks wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
PJSki, you've inserted quoted words that no longer exist after I removed them realising my stupid mistake. Your post states "edited 1 time in total".

Fixed that for you

Laughing

CG caught out being a complete tool...again. NehNeh
snow conditions
There's no trace of me editing anything, as is obvious. phpBB does not recognise/confirm an edit until a subsequent posting has been made.

What's the point of quoting something that doesn't exist?

The actual issue here is GerrySki / PJ Aitken asserting that SCGB Leaders should have a jar with their groups immediately after the last run. Why? Maybe they'd prefer to head home for a nice hot bath and a massage (or maybe even a sesh on snowHeads). After all, a couple of hours later they've got to host their social hour.

Is that unreasonable?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
There's no trace of me editing anything, as is obvious. phpBB does not recognise/confirm an edit until a subsequent posting has been made.

What's the point of quoting something that doesn't exist any more after I realised my stupid mistake and removed it?

There, fixed it for you. Laughing
ski holidays
As you are both members of SC, why not take this Rimming extravaganza over there , to all the "members" who no doubt care.

Remember the first rule of Ski club.
snow report
^^hear hear

(PS my account over there is now officially nuked)
snow conditions
Filthyphil30k, from what I can tell there is an entertaining situation now. CG, whilst a member, was banned from posting on the SCGB forum. Now that he has either been "terminated" or has resigned, he has clearly been able to register like a non-member can and start posting on their forum. Other than going MO again, there probably isn't much they can do to stop that. The guy they wanted shot of is back! Laughing And, like you suggested, the argument seems to have continued over there.

The argument seems to be over, of all things, going for a drink straight after skiing with the peeps you've just been skiing with. I'm not sure there's an argument.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, for clarification (re. your 2nd sentence), since Gerry Aitken has publicised the fact that I am an "ex-member" of the Ski Club of Great Britain:

My resignation from the SCGB was notified to its directors on 28 August 2013, effective on the last day of my membership year - 31 October 2013.
On 19 September 2013 the SCGB's directors decided to terminate my membership. This was notified to me "with immediate effect" on 30 September 2013.
The reason for the termination - and the means by which that termination was executed - are strongly refuted, with respect to the SCGB's rules and founding principles.
David Goldsmith
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith, the fact that you resigned and after that they still opted to terminate you, would indicate a bit of "afters" (as they say in footie) on their part. Why didn't they just accept your resignation, let the year run out and move on?
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, and, by the way, I assume you paid for a full year? So, have you been reimbursed the £7.48 (42 days worth of a £65 membership) and, if you haven't, what are you going to do about it? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, the fact that you resigned and after that they still opted to terminate you, would indicate a bit of "afters" (as they say in footie) on their part. Why didn't they just accept your resignation, let the year run out and move on?

Bode Swiller, I don't do footie so am not familiar with that expression. Is "afters" something I could identify with as "apres"?
Re. your question, I don't know because no reason was given.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 27-10-13 22:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Bode Swiller, oooo...you norty bwoy Laughing
snow report
Bode Swiller, let's look at it this way: I daresay the SCGB directors justify their action in the same way that a theatre manager might throw you out of an audience (not necessarily you - me). Would he pay you a pro-rata refund (based on the time you were ejected) of your theatre ticket?

The position is very simple: the SCGB directors state that I have broken the rules. I strongly refute this.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith, "Afters" is the behaviour of John Terry (Google him) - you having fairly won the ball he'll racially abuse you, run his studs up your hamstring and then shag your wife. That's "afters".
latest report
Blimey!! I only get bread and butter pudding for afters.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy