Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:
Dear Sirs,

I should like to be considered for the role of Chief communications Officer or somesuch. Skiing is such larks - like the time Boz and I snuck up behind that fearful oik Cameron and gave him the "Old Rear Admiral" at the Bullingdon! I'd be perfect as i've been to all the resorts in the world, Kloisters, Davos, Kloisters again, and i've got all my own clobber. Media is all the rage these days and the ol' banking sectors a bit flat at the moment so I can start right away, plus Pater says if I don't go and do some bloody work soon, the inheritance'll go to one of his kids he left in Rangoon.

If you really must interview, i'm in my club most lunchtimes, no fillies allowed i'm afraid, but we all know the boys make the important decisions like this one. Please find my current CV and a copy of my family tree, crest and a picture of Great Uncle Beanos pile in Hampshire which now belongs to the bally Russians thanks to death duties.

Awfully decent of you,
Yours
Timothy Runciple-spoon

PS. Mummy sends hugs.
Oh you must send it!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wonderful - spilt my tea laughing. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

As a further experiment in topical imagery, I typed 'head of communications' into Google and got this.

The accompanying article is well worth a read, too:

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2012/12/19/worst-job-pr-ryanair-advertises-new-head-communications

So I'm now nominating Michael O'Leary for the post of Head of Comms at the Skeeb. No man generates publicity the way he does it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For Head of Communications read Reichs Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda.
There are bound to be a few recently released NOTS journalists who could fit the bill. Madeye-Smiley

I have got so bored with the Tea Shed that I have put their e-mails on autobin.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mcspreader wrote:
For Head of Communications read Reichs Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda.
There are bound to be a few recently released NOTS journalists who could fit the bill. Madeye-Smiley
I have got so bored with the Tea Shed that I have put their e-mails on autobin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

"This article appears to be written like an advertisement. Please help improve it by rewriting promotional content from a neutral point of view and removing any inappropriate external links. (May 2011)"

"The Ski Club of Great Britain is a recreational snow sports club, founded on May 6, 1903. It is a not-for-profit organisation in the sense that it spends all the money it makes from over-priced holidays on trips for its administrative team and their supporters. The Ski Club was until the 1960s responsible for the British racing teams.[citation needed]"

Perhaps not the finest advertising money might buy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skibar, I suspect Comedy Goldsmith might have had something to do with the contribution of
Quote:

it spends all the money it makes from over-priced holidays on trips for its administrative team and their supporters

Its been removed now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shimmy Alcott, I thought he might be behind it too - either that or someone who is very familiar with his style of mixing historical fact with more contentious comment.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whereas I think it's not his style in the slightest.

It's interesting that it sits on that wiki page for weeks or months and disappears the day it gets a mention on snowheads. Good to know the SKGB recognise this is a forum worth reading.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've played no part in any contributions or changes to the SCGB's Wikipedia entry. David G.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So ... who joined the ski glitterati for the Skeeb's summer party at the Hurlingham on Saturday night?

My only sauce is someone called 'Manuel', who was expecting to be waiting at the event but he didn't explain if this meant waiting for his slap-up meal or actually serving it. Haven't heard from him at all (maybe he's still recovering) so let's have the buzz ...

Who won the Pery medal?
Any famous names spotted?
Was any food thrown ('hurled')?
On a similar theme, menu details please.
Any pre-dinner croquet?
All entertaining ski gossip welcome.

The event followed hard on the heels of the annual Grand Prix Ball, at the Hurlingham two nights earlier. Photo and report:

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2013/06/30/the-right-formula/

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 1-07-13 6:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
P.S. A report's appeared on Planetski ...

http://www.planetski.eu/news/5092
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Even better report @ http://www.planetski.eu/news/3867 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I see Ski Solutions is offering free memebership to the Ski Club

Quote:
Ski Solutions is offering annual membership to the Ski Club of Great Britain with every ski holiday booked throughout July saving up to £93 plus 5% discount on the cost of the holiday
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
I see Ski Solutions is offering free memebership to the Ski Club

No mention of that offer on the Ski Solutions website ...

http://www.skisolutions.com/pages/early-booking-ski-deals-winter-2013-14

I'd be surprised (though not astonished) if that was the case. Last year, someone very senior in the SCGB said that the Club would discontinue half-price membership offers etc. What's your source, Shimmy?

As a full-paying member of the SCGB (which used to do the opposite - charge a joining fee, as a hang-over from the days when membership of the SCGB was an 'essential'), I'm opposed to these deals, since they're of dubious constitutional status. You can't have a member-owned Club giving away memberships (i.e. shares - which constitute ownership and control) to people who don't pay, or pay half price.

I've recently been informed of yet another membership fee increase for the SCGB (to £67 p.a. in my case, for cash payment) - so the idea that membership was being given away to others would be doubly unacceptable.
snow conditions
More from planetski:

""The Alpine nation appears to be enjoying its nookie more than any other country, according to a new study.

Couples in Austria topped the good sex league with 80% of men and 63% of women saying they were enjoying extremely or very satisfying sex.

The study is due to appear in the journal, The Archives of Sexual Behaviour, and questioned 27,000 people aged 40 to 80 in 29 countries.

The research focused on middle-aged people.""

So why do we all go to France?
snow report
blahblahblah,

Speak for yourself wink
snow report
musher wrote:
blahblahblah,

Speak for yourself wink

I was, about the French bit, not the middle aged bit. Very Happy
ski holidays
blahblahblah wrote:
So why do we all go to France?

Well we don't... cos it's a bag o' shoite. And surveys eh? 64.3% of snowHeads think Austria IS part of France. They seem quite surprised when you show them a map of the alps.
latest report
Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, I had an email from ski solutions with this offer too. Not about to take it up, but it is out there.
snow report
So ... let me get this straight ... Ski Solutions are emailing clients/prospective clients and offering them free membership of the Skeeb ... while I (who first joined in 1962) will be billed £67 for the same thing.

Makes you wonder what on earth is going on.

As for sex in Austria ... is this another free offer from Ski Solutions, or am I getting my wires crossed?
snow conditions
I had sex in Austria once... still getting the wool outa me lederhosen.

Comedy Goldsmith, intro offers make the world go around. It's not just the Tea Club. We all have similar instances where we pay more for our loyalty than the new joiners.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, It's not exactly free, you have to buy one of their holidays. Personally, I think I would try to negotiate a discount instead.
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
I had sex in Austria once... still getting the wool outa me lederhosen.

Comedy Goldsmith, intro offers make the world go around. It's not just the Tea Club. We all have similar instances where we pay more for our loyalty than the new joiners.

Recognise any of these? http://metro.co.uk/2012/09/25/flock-of-sheep-ram-raid-st-anton-sports-store-in-austria-584389/

or was it a Ram?
latest report
beequin wrote:
It's not exactly free, you have to buy one of their holidays.

Of course, and Ski Solutions are very much at the centre of the deal. I assume Ski Solutions will pass some form/proportion of 'membership revenue' to the Club, on a bulk payment, and may therefore - on a 'follow the money' basis - call some shots in the running of my club.

The question is: why, after 110 years, has the Ski Club of Great Britain's membership been reduced to a giveaway status? What on earth is going on here?

It's extremely salient that this forum/club - snowHeads - has operated without fear or favour of advertisers or other commercial interests for nearly 10 years now. From the outset in 1903, and for some time, the Ski Club of Great Britain was similarly fearless of any commercial interests (to the extent of denying membership to the Lunn family, which had formed a ski tour-operating company).

I'm no puritan at all - I live in the real world and used to be the principal writer for the SCGB's magazine, which was operated semi-autonomously as a commercial (advertiser supported) publication with newsstand sales (12,000 copies) beyond the SCGB's membership circulation. The principle of independence from commercial interests is fundamental to the proper operation of a Club.

This is just another factor in my losing all confidence in the future of the SCGB, and another reason to put the whole thing out of its misery. I know a local vet.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 2-07-13 17:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
blahblahblah wrote:
or was it a Ram?

Oh no, are you telling me they weren't handlebars?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't be bothered to look but I would assume that the Ski Solutions destinations are on the list of ski-club leaders' too.
So... buy a holiday, join the club in a mandatory type way = legal ski 'guiding' for Ski Solutions.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, thought you were desperate for a platform and SKGB was one of your sadly unrequited loves. Hence your multiple flirtations and flounces. You really are burning your bridges over there, from over here. You should of kept your options open (?). Admin's legendary largesse gives you a free pass back here but then you spend half your time persisting on SKGB. Move on.

You're like Alanis Morrissette in drag.
snow report

Nickski wrote:
You're like Alanis Morrissette in drag.

It's strange how many people have made that observation, especially when I'm on a draglift (a cross-dressing Poma which looks like a t-bar).

Morissette has one R, BTW.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Morissette has one R, BTW

Plenty of soul in there, though... Toofy Grin

Well, three according to Wiki....but obviously not all at the same time...
snow conditions
Jäggeur,
Quote:

three according to Wiki.

'R's or soles?
snow report
musher, yes...
latest report
So ... yesterday 4 July marked one year since Frank McCusker took over as CEO of the SCGB. Time for an annual review?

Frank's said relatively little about his plans for the SCGB since then ... but this videoed conference presentation to business executives (from about 2 years ago, and a bit long) reveals his background passion for "customer experience" as the driver ...

Tape 3 - frank mccusker from Michael Lavers
http://vimeo.com/15797646

Hop to 3:40 mins.

Quote:
If you're going to drive a change in your business, you've got to see results. You don't want to be sitting in front of the chief executive officer in 12 months time trying to explain why you've not got any results. So the key is to start this journey with the end in mind ... what business results are we trying to drive?

I guess a shorlist of key performance indicators for the Skeeb - to measure customer experience/satisfaction/loyalty would include:

1. The number of members (given in paying units)
2. The financial situation - surplus/deficit (bearing in mind that it's a non-profit organisation)
3. The magazine - Ski+Board - sales on the newsstands
4. The number of members who viewed the recent electronic edition of the magazine and the new SCGB summer magazine 'Elevate'
5. The number of members who skied with reps (leaders)
6. The number of new members recruited by leaders
7. The number of members using skiclub.co.uk and deriving value from it (however that is best measured)
8. The number of members viewing SkiClubTV videos
9. The number of Ski Club Freshtracks holidays sold
10. The above factors, in relation to expenditure allocations to the various services

Frank McCusker took over control of the SCGB in unusual circumstances. By arriving in July 2012, most budgetary decisions for the 2012/3 winter would have been taken, so his strategic options would have been limited. His predecessor Caroline Stuart-Taylor was in charge from 1996 to 2012, so a significant structure and pattern had been set.

The annual report of the SCGB will, of course, be published in a few months' time and may carry the above data (some of it was stripped out of the 2012 report).
latest report
The SCGB 2012 annual report - published last autumn - gave some indications of where the Club was heading. Here are extracts of what Frank McCusker had to say ...

Quote:

We must continue to focus on developing and introducing services that benefit and drive value for All our members

With our commercial partners we’re actively seeking more exclusive discounts that provide better value than those which our partners may be offering directly themselves or through money-saving websites

We’ll be looking to improve the accessibility and flexibility of our highly respected volunteer leader service. This will include: half day sessions; sessions that start a little later thus allowing you to drop off the kids at ski school; sessions aimed at building confidence ...

Skiclub Freshtracks have introduced a wider range of holidays on their program. This season we’re opening our first ever ski club chalet in Flaine as the existing trips there consistently receive fantastic feedback. It’s an extremely exciting development, and we’ll look to provide similarfacilities in other resorts in the future if the chalet proves tobe the success we expect.

By the end of this year you’ll experience a new home page on skiclub.co.uk that is simpler, has less advertising and more relevant news. You’ll be able to add more information to your profile, share experiences with your fellow members and be able to compare attributes and member feedback for up to five resorts on one page. Back, by popular demand will be a new and improved ski club chat Forum

Readership of ski+board continues to increase and will be available digitally before too long

At the 2012 annual general meeting (last November), Frank expanded on plans for the SCGB's digital activities/website ...

Quote:

- User generated content: Resort reviews, building an on-line community, thelong term aim of being ‘trip advisor’ for the snowsports industry
- Snow and weather – improved
- Ability to compare equipment
- Introduction of user profile pages
- Simpler, cleaner home page
- Improved Navigation
- Discounts – better search
- Updated Chat forum where participation was available to members and registered users. Non members would be welcome to view the forum content
- Open to all
- Ski Club Freshtracks online booking
- Ski+board on line

Source: 2012 AGM minutes [extract]
ski holidays
Lower case R (sic) and in single quotes.
snow conditions
The SCGB has today announced opportunities for 3 members to join its ruling Council ...

Quote:
The Ski Club Council would particularly welcome nominations from individuals with experience in the legal and travel industries.

... and for someone to step forward for election as Treasurer ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=8675#.Ud2D06zrvOs
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
This is just another factor in my losing all confidence in the future of the SCGB, and another reason to put the whole thing out of its misery. I know a local vet.

Puzzled Is this back to the sheep jokes?
ski holidays
CG

Why do they need legal experts? Are you making waves again?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy