Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Nickski wrote:
... sad to say you are a drunk in a revolving door ...

That is factually incorrect. I never drink and drive revolving doors.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nickski wrote:
cDG (small c) - sad to say you are a drunk in a revolving door. The boat sailed a long time ago and you still mourn it's passing. Move on.

Joking aside, let's try and unravel your mixed metaphors. I fully understand (and agree with) your 'revolving door' description. However, if this is how you see the engagement/implications of commentating on it ...

http://youtube.com/v/uQh9U91MFR0

... then you're greatly mistaken. This narrative is, in no way, over.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That video! Shocked

I once got my ski bag (and thus myself) stuck in a revolving door Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
maggi, that sounds like you were inside your ski bag.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, almost! Laughing No, just wrestling with it whilst the increasing number of people waiting to get through made "helpful" rolling eyes comments.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's what happens when a revolving door revolts.

"This door is revolting" said the ski bag to the doorman.

[ ... all of which nonsense has taken this thread through 80,000 hits. Think what could be achieved with something more intelligent!]
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The relaunched SCGB forum, which was supposed to benefit from the opening post of this thread, isn't completely silent.

Two tweet-brevity postings are worth quoting, because they kind of sum up the state of play (inactivity and irrelevance) at the Skeeb in 2013 ...

David Johnson wrote:
Why is there no Scottish snow among the snow reports? I gather there is still lots at Cairngorm and the lifts running every day.

Very true. The skiing on Cairngorm remains worthy of a blast - 1300ft vertical runs still available, according to Winterhighland. 5 lifts running this morning, according to Cairngorm Mountain. So why no SCGB snow report?

Gerry Aitken wrote:
The head of the ski school doesn't want us there [St Anton], therefore we are not there ...

That quote has to be seen in context on this thread - http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=14367#.UZNPakrSzHQ - and perhaps warrants exploration. At the beginning of this season the Club announced that another prominent Austrian resort - Mayrhofen - would not host a SCGB rep (leader). St Anton is one of the great off-piste ski areas, where plenty of incidents occur, and where a lot of professionals (off-piste grade instructors and guides) lead skiers across the extensive open terrain. It is no place for amateurs.

St Anton also has a history steeped in the development of ski racing, ski instruction, British organisation of skiing, the early construction of ski lifts ... and the SCGB's greatest figurehead Sir Arnold Lunn. It is therefore highly symbolic that St Anton hasn't wanted the SCGB for something like two decades now.

I, for one (as a SCGB member), perfectly understand and agree with the resort's official view (if, indeed, the head of St Anton's main ski school expressed it) that SCGB leaders are inadequately trained to do this work ... and the club should stop it now. Ski Club 'Leading' isn't the future of British organised skiing and it only serves about 0.5% of British skiers. It costs way too much money (£230,000+ per annum) and incurs far too much risk.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Comedy Goldsmith, I'm warming to this argument . . . especially when Gerry demonstrates his dickwit abilities . . . how the hell did this turd get to be a senior member of the TeaClub? On every level of public relations he fails . . . even within the clubs own environment rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
St Anton is one of the great off-piste ski areas, where plenty of incidents occur, and where a lot of professionals (off-piste grade instructors and guides) lead skiers across the extensive open terrain. It is no place for amateurs....

Really? I skied with serval SCGB reps there; all were very good, and a couple (David Ross and Olivia Gordon) were quite outstanding.

There is quite a lot that makes the SCGB not for me these days, but posturing waffle doesn't make a case.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

achilles wrote:
posturing waffle doesn't make a case

Sorry about that. How about a panini waffle?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles wrote:
...posturing waffle doesn't make a case.

In the world of iPhone cases they do:

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Excellent research, Swiller. I rest my case.

I'll take one of those through a revolving door, while drunk. That should sum up this page nicely.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Snipped from Companies House records for Ski Club of Great Britain Limited
Here's a question (I'm no expert on company law, directorships, 'corporate governance' and the rest of it) ...

Before asking it ... I did serve on the Council of the SCGB well over 20 years ago, but not as a director - at that time it was an option not to join the board.

The question is:

Why was Frank McCusker, chief executive of the Club since the beginning of last July, recorded as "appointed" as a director on 14 August 2012 but "terminated" on 3 September 2012 - i.e. three weeks later?

I've been officially told that any direct communications from me to the Club will be "ignored". However, since this is a matter of public record already on the record, Frank is very welcome to view this as an 'indirect communication' (!) and perhaps worthy of response. I'm just speculating, but perhaps the position is that the elected board members (members of the SCGB who have gained directorships at AGMs) seek to maintain exclusive voting control at board meetings. But, in that case, why did Frank become a director in the first place?

It's important to note, in context, that Caroline Stuart-Taylor - previous CEO of the Club - was 'Managing Director' of the SCGB for her first years running its executive, before becoming 'Chief Executive'. I was always under the impression that she continued to hold a directorship, but perhaps this can also be clarified.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

If all that's too heavy ... it's Friday, after all, with a weekend's skiing on Cairngorm to come (for some) ...

... here's a trio of prospective SCGB (or maybe WTF Ski Club) members on the Gorm.

Photo from Cairngorm Mountain's FB page today, with comments:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=452253011534889&set=a.141840099242850.31766.138991532861040&type=1&theater
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 17-05-13 16:39; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:
No one at the Ski Club was available for comment
Ha ha! No change at there then.
Good to have one believable line in it!

If the tea club really do let PJSki hold a seat on their council, it's them that's mental!
ski holidays
botw, looks like your owner is missing a sock.
snow conditions
Gerry, looks like you're one sock short of a drawer-full.
ski holidays
botw wrote:
Gerry, looks like you're one sock short of a drawer-full.

You're mistaken if you think I'm Gerry. Who are you, btw? Just another mouthy c**t?
latest report
You're mistaken if you think I'm just another mouthy c**t. Who are you, btw? Gerry?
snow conditions
botw, yeah, well, you're a fecking nobody 'bravely' shooting his mouth off from behind his keyboard as far as I'm concerned.
ski holidays
PJSki, those spirochete are working their magic between your ears today . . . classy rolling eyes
snow report
Masque, feck off you coward. Blush
ski holidays
Is this entire thread some elaborate tribute to JWAZ?
ski holidays
fatbob, Laughing Most of the old Jwaz posters are registered on here including Jeff
Summer arrives early on snowHeads,
latest report
Now we know why musky has a fecked gland. Clearly he's shoved an Oxford English Dictionary too far up. Laughing

Musky, how long have you got?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 17-05-13 21:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I'll just point out that DG & PJski have some way to go before they rival the longest running and most bizarre symbiotic psychotic once vaguely ski related flame war on tinterweb still apparently going

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.skiing.alpine/browse_thread/thread/ffbf2030f14d7cce#
snow report
PJSki, much longer than you sweetheart . . . you still haven't gained the ability to be offensive without being just crude . . . a diseased mind is hardly capable of subtly and hardly due any sympathy. Then of course you haven't even the wit to realise the damage you do to your own institution. You and Gerry are part of the rot that sours the barrel and will be responsible for it's demise . . . I do wonder how you manage to type when you lips are so Lamprey'd to your own anus?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the penultimate paragraph of his fantastically amusing spoof above, SCGB director Gerry Aitken (PJ Ski) makes reference to yours truly (David Goldsmith) having been "sacked" by the SCGB, and mentions a "backpack".

I'll come to the backpack in a moment. My only paid employment with the Club (as a freelance writer/editor and sometimes copywriter) has been to the six successive editors of the Ski Club's magazines since 1977: Elisabeth Hussey, Tessa Coker, Roland White, Jane Slade, Gill Williams and Arnie Wilson. No one's ever sacked me - I would have thought the pattern was the direct opposite: articles for each editor over a span of some 3 decades to 2005. For much of that period I was equipment/associate editor of Ski Survey magazine (the Club's former publication which achieved 12,000 newstand paid circulation in addition to the membership circulation. It's around 1000 at present.)

As for the backpack, Gerry simply embarrasses our national ski club again. There was a bizarre incident at the AGM of the Club, some 10 years ago, involving a false allegation. There's no need to relate all the detail right now, but it was all resolved in the boardroom of Hello! magazine* the following year, with an official statement issued by the SCGB after that and a payment by the SCGB to a charity.

Unlike Gerry's rubbish, the above is true ... with documentary proof that it's true.

Sweet dreams, everyone!

----------------------

* It's probably as well to point out that although the matter was resolved in the boardroom of Hello! magazine, the matters concerned had absolutely nothing to do with that publication.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 17-05-13 22:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
fatbob wrote:
I'll just point out that DG & PJski have some way to go before they rival the longest running and most bizarre symbiotic psychotic once vaguely ski related flame war on tinterweb still apparently going

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.skiing.alpine/browse_thread/thread/ffbf2030f14d7cce#

That still going? I remeber when it started over a trip to Whistler.
Who is the other protagonist I can only remember Scott A v virtually everyone else though it started with an Australian lass from memory.
snow conditions
Yup

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/1999/11/32550

Although one Alex Heney of the UK seems to be cross referenced on some sites in relation to it.
ski holidays
How bizzare! Mind you, at least that appears to have been about free free lift passes, this debacle seems to stem from a poorly executed puff about the SCGB's new web forum.

If the OP had posted "Hello Snowheads, I'm an employee of the SCGB and we are pleased to announce the launch of our new forum" the reactions might have been the same, but possibly without the same sense of smug self righteousness.

As for PJSki, well he's definitely odd. Personally, if I were to post the internet equivalent of poison pen letters, I might think twice about doing so with a sig that links to an organisation that , as far as I am aware, is quite blameless. I mean how would it look if I went

"Masque is an ill favoured person of low intellect and his personal habits leave a lot to be desired*. By the way, here's a link to an organisation which requires high standards of behaviour as they train children so all trainers must have a CRB check and attend course regarding the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults"

*I wouldn't. It would be untrue.
ski holidays
Hot news from the new SCGB chat forum (which, as we know, was re-launched last December) ...

After six days of total inactivity - from a claimed membership of 30,000 - the following posting was made last night by Sarah Hinksman:

Quote:
"Decided to go [to the Manchester SCGB party] as it's great to see things happening outside London and it will be good to talk skiing - enough of summer already Smile"

Apart from that encouraging comment, not a jot from anyone for a week!

On another front, the Ski Club has a new 'media pack'. As always, the SCGB's statistical data is worthy of comment, particularly the chart on page 5:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/advertise/aboutus.aspx#.UbmhGNjSzHQ

Percentage of members aged 25-34: 5%
Percentage of members aged 35-64: 59%

Work that one out!

The age bracket below 25 is also weirdly grouped in a single 0-24 category [the SCGB now uniquely includes 'children' up to 24 years in family memberships] ... and that percentage is given as 29%

I'm not sure what marketing persons are to make of all that, but it sure is 'off-piste' as we know it, Jim.
snow conditions

snow conditions
Its nice to see they prefer Italy, foods better and cheaper they say.
latest report
Interesting to compare page 4 of the above 'media pack' ...

Quote:
Over one million people in the UK take a snowsports holiday each year ...

with page 8 ...

Quote:
... over 1.9 million unique users each year to the Ski Club's website.

Now, you may wonder how 1.9 million people can be obtained from 1 million people. Perhaps 0.9 million people who don't ski are interested enough in skiing to use skiclub.co.uk, plus the full UK population of skiers.

It would be interesting for the SCGB marketing dept. to pop in here and explain whether that "1.9 million" figure is given by the Club's auditors - ABC Electronic. No source is stated.
snow report
An update on SCGB Chat Forum activity over the past ten days ...

There have been a total of two postings: one on 12 June, and another on 14 June - both concerning a Ski Club party in Manchester.

That ... err ... is it. From a total of 30,000 or 34,000 members (depending on which page of skiclub.co.uk is viewed).
snow report
I can't believe this thread is still going, the subject of which is effectively dead (and no, I haven't read it since page 2- except CG's latest)
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Interesting to compare page 4 of the above 'media pack' ...

Quote:
Over one million people in the UK take a snowsports holiday each year ...

with page 8 ...

Quote:
... over 1.9 million unique users each year to the Ski Club's website.

CG does that mean that nearly a million of the "unique users" were ex-pats, or even Johnny Foreigners ?
latest report
Actually, it's been pointed out to me that the "unique users" may be robots.

http://youtube.com/v/L_PAmri4DLk

This one has a paper bag over its head, and wipes out at 0:45
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy