Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, only what has been put above,

Quote:

1. The Ski Club of Great Britain was founded by people who made a huge intellectual contribution to the sport, nationally and internationally, and had a wholly inclusive approach to membership (though commercially-interested members were initially excluded). They had no prejudices about Scottish skiing. They published highly influential factual information. What I see now is a disgrace to these founding fathers (and their founding/enduring principles/values).

12. Inside the White House is a team of mainly young people, early in their careers, being tasked to do the most absurd things. That's not good for them, professionally. It confounds the ethos of the two famous non-profit organisations I work for in London (both of which have highly innovative and creative strategies and build real careers for people). The Ski Closed Group Britain (SCGB) is now a cruise ship of people on expenses-paid skiing, offering gravy-training in how to maintain the gravy train. I will concede that 10% of the membership derive great value from the repping service, but it's cross-subsidised by the 90% who don't use it.

Of course, the latest membership figures will be ascertained in a few weeks (year end: 30 April). I'm going to recommend (PJ Ski was asking for great ideas) that the Club's auditors verify the figure this year, with the numbers who have joined for free or on a discount basis. The omission of the membership figure from the 2012 annual report was a very bad sign (unprecedented?) and various different 'grossed-up' figures have been bandied about since then, which don't make sense

He suggests that there are also other reasons. Clearly he believes in his understanding and I would guess he feels that by highlighting it on this forum he can change these attitudes - of course that assumes that he is correct in what he thinks.

If he is not correct then I hope he is not on dodgy ground legally with such accusations. Esp. on a public forum, which is why I suggested moving it into apres earlier on.

Publish and be damned according to CG. Maybe he has run away to seek legal advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, theres a lot of words in the post of his you have quoted but WHAT is the scandal?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shimmy Alcott, I think it best if everyone make their own judgement of what CG put above.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Megamum, theres a lot of words in the post of his you have quoted but WHAT is the scandal?

You'll have to wait a couple of months to find out. Shall we speculate? I do have it on good authority that a member of staff was tasked with providing CG with regular reports about the drains. Could it be that?

While we wait, a game of chess, anyone?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, thing is, theres 37 pages of "above" and he seems to chop and change what his actual gripe is every few pages - at one point he was inferring gender discrimination etc etc its like when a kid says they dont like something and when you try to get the reasoning behind that dislike they cant actually place it, but they are still stubborn enough to go on saying they dont like it.

DG would do himself a favour if he does as he says hes going to do; go away, prepare his case...then come back when he has all his ducks in a row.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PJSki wrote:

While we wait, a game of chess, anyone?

Have we time to weave a basket or two?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hello. I am new to all this but have joined up specifically because I was emailed a link to the bit on this post to do with the Woodland Trust. Although I am a not-very-good skier my primary interest is the environment, sustainability and all that! Yes indeed I always vote green. If I read it correctly it is being suggested that money was collected from members of SCGB and not much of it reached the Woodland Trust. Simple question- is that true? If so and for reasons I don't think I should go into here, I have a big issue with that and I know others will as well. Charity fundraising work is very tough right now [I should know] and organisations that raise funds with the promise of passing on those funds, and then never do, is a major issue and needs exposing. Rant over, I just need to know if it is in fact the case. Pretty please.

By the way I have never seen such a busy forum. You seem like a very nice bunch even those argumentative types.

If you do respond I may not get back for a while as I am off to bed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sybil Fawlty, it looks likely to be a case of 2+2 = 17 (or smouldering fag ends).

Certainly if money was being donated by members for a specific purpose, then the money would have to be applied to that purpose. However, the link provided by the person who raised the issue does not provide any basis for supposing or suggesting that there has been anything untoward: it simply identifies that about £7K had been raised via the sale of wristbands and, together with about £27.5K allocated from subs, had been applied to a number of environmental causes including the Woodland Trust. While the money raised from wristbands might have been subject to an implied trust, it looks as if it has been applied properly; the info does not indicate that the £27.5K from subs would itself have been subject to an implied trust prior to its allocation (and even if it had been, it would appear to have been applied properly).

That's as much light as I can shed. If you want to find out more then I would suggest you contact the SCGB itself which may be able to give you some rather more accurate information than you might otherwise find in the tittle-tattle of a forum such as this one.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Moderator, can you just get this thread closed down, it doesn't really do SH any favours - to a casual observer, it just looks like the typical 'washing of dirty laundry' that happens in any club/society... but is best conducted out of the public eye. To more seasoned observers, it just detracts from the otherwise reasonably useful content on SH. Once the 'noise' exceeds a certain level, people interested in the main purpose of SH will simply go elsewhere.

CG, can't you start a blog, or a petition, or something else _of your own_, and stop hi-jacking SH for your own personal vendetta.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For those interested this maybe PJSki/TimBrown or GerryA on the header on the title page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/skiclubleaders/?fref=ts
"Please Note: This group IS endorsed by the Ski Club but importantly NOT monitored by them! "
and some people think cDG is paranoid, interesting that at least one director is a member but I guess he's not monitoring the group Toofy Grin (and there are quite a few snowHeads amongst the 156 members)

Hamilton this is the most advertising the club has on t'internet and indeed the thread was started by the club so why should the mods remove it? Although you may have a point as such blatant advertising probably is against snowHeads rules. If the owner of snowHeads wasn't happy about it I'm sure it would have been removed or put into apres long ago. snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chasseur wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

I've yet to meet anyone in SCGB who comes close to the stereotype so boringly postulated on this thread. However I suspect CG may come closest NehNeh

Well I have - several years ago at Stansted. A party of braying, ignorant and self-righteous, self-important people. Their staggering rudeness was breath-taking.

On the rocks wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

I've yet to meet anyone in SCGB who comes close to the stereotype so boringly postulated on this thread. However I suspect CG may come closest NehNeh

Well I have - several years ago .......

I think that's the point. I've only been in SCGB a couple of years or so but there does seem to have been a big change for the better in active membership over recent years, with the brayers fading away, or at least gravitating to resorts I/we are not attracted to

PJSki wrote:

You really do need to go and get yourself diagnosed and treated, although there may not be a treatment for your kind of (personality) disorder.

You're a nasty, scheming, vindictive piece of work, you really are.

Hmmm, a change for the better you say...
Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh come on Chasseur. Are you really saying that just because PJSki's internet persona is offensive the whole of the SCGB is bad?
You could just as easily claim that CG is typical of the whole of Snowheads. I suggest you get some perspective.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the rocks, you can suggest what you like. I, for instance, suggest your perspective of the club you have only been a member of for a couple of years, may be flawed.

I was merely pointing out one example. Maybe you should take it up with your club mates - they're the ones letting down the image you profess to believe has changed - whether forum based or in reality. So do come on, there's a good chap.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the rocks wrote:
Oh come on Chasseur. Are you really saying that just because PJSki's internet persona is offensive the whole of the SCGB is bad?
You could just as easily claim that CG is typical of the whole of Snowheads. I suggest you get some perspective.

You can't have a reasoned debate with this guy about the ski club because he's so deeply prejudiced against it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Deeply prejudiced you say, PJSki. You might be confusing me with someone who cares that much about the SKGB. I do think they are worth ridicule quite often and a fair number of their members seem to have a rather inflated opinion of themselves and their importance/relevance. So, fair game, is what I think.

Perhaps you should seek some treatment for that inability to characterise people accurately wink
snow conditions
Chasseur wrote:

Perhaps you should seek some treatment for that inability to characterise people accurately wink

Maybe you could give me some guidance then? Seeming as you are able to characterise 30k+ people based on such a small sample.
snow conditions
Chasseur wrote:
On the rocks, you can suggest what you like. I, for instance, suggest your perspective of the club you have only been a member of for a couple of years, may be flawed.

Some might say that it's the last couple of years, i.e. the present that's important. wink
ski holidays
Really, is this it?

Such potential Laughing
latest report
Quote:

I won't be making a further contribution to this thread for the next couple of months or so.

Aaw! Well I'll miss him. Come back all is forgiven.

Quote:

I think some keep up the membership to get the discounts, magazine etc. Some forget to cancel the standing order.

Sounds bang on. For me it started with the former and has lately become the latter.

Main Gripes:
There has been no REAL change to the website in years. A repaint doesn't count and ski TV is an expensive and very amateurish waste of time, especially the gormless useless wiffle that comes out of the presenter's gobs.
The rep service just does not attract me at all. The rep reports are all, with a very few minor exceptions to prove the rule, the same over hyped rubbish they fire out in the Edge which is spectacularly ill named.
On introducing myself to the stand at a ski show was given a f@&king good ignoring to after they discovered they already had my dosh. (No such problem at all at the SH stand where they are happy to chew the fat all day if you want.)
All the recommendations seem to be made on the basis of who is paying the advertising rather than on the basis of impartial integrity on behalf of the members who keep them in job. Might as well read the Hate Mail Ski Advertising Feature.

I'm bored now.

Admin, can you kill this rubbish please.
snow report
mcspreader, so have you cancelled your standing order now?
snow conditions
Quote:

All the recommendations seem to be made on the basis of who is paying the advertising rather than on the basis of impartial integrity on behalf of the members who keep them in job. Might as well read the Hate Mail Ski Advertising Feature.
Actually, U may find that it's the ad revenue that mostly pays the wages. The model may be that membership figures are primarily for 'leveraging' ad sales these days.
Quote:

I'm bored now.

Admin, can you kill this rubbish please.
We don't like to impose that sort of censorship - if you're bored, go do something else that U find more fun, like for example, cancelling any out of date unnecessary direct debits U may have, freeing up funds for a nice shiny new snowHeads subscription
Which allows U to switch adverts off if U don't like them Little Angel
- just a suggestion Wink
snow report
admin, its is you, not U. make an effort.

(makes mental note to complain to nbt about Badmin's name change)
latest report
Thornyhill wrote:
admin, its is you, not U. make an effort.
Actually, sometimes it's U.
snow conditions
U said it! Wink
ski holidays
mcspreader,
Quote:

On introducing myself to the stand at a ski show was given a f@&king good ignoring

At the London ski show the 'staff' on/around the stand were like the worst chuggers on the most run down High Street. Sad
latest report
Look, I come here to get an update on SCGB forum usage.

I am appalled that this service is suspended for a few months.

I demand that Admin launch an enquiry, ensures the guilty are punished, and restores this benefit.
snow report
skibar, as previously mentioned I'm not contributing anything to this thread at the moment but anyone else is welcome to 'spot audit' the SCGB forum traffic. It's not a hugely time-consuming exercise.
snow conditions
Hhhhmm - this thread has been to the barbers. No great loss. It needed a trim. wink

EDIT - and it's offshoot in AZ seems to have gone too. Apart from a general comment that these things happen very rarely in sH, I have no problems with the modding / removal at thread starter's request. Whatever.....

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 1-04-13 9:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

anyone else is welcome to 'spot audit' the SCGB forum traffic

Why in God's name would anyone want to waste three minutes of their one and only life doing that? Laughing
snow conditions
This morning I received the following email from SCGB director Gerry Aitken ...

Quote:
Copyright theft

Cease and desist

You are still using this picture without the consent of the copyright holder: [edit: this was originally a hyperlink to a photo on the sH database]

I now advise you that use of that image by you is subject to a charged a £25 per day. An invoice will be issued in due course and failure to pay will result in a case being brought to the small claims court. If you still refuse to pay I will proceed to the County Court for judgment.

Of course you can avoid any charges or legal action by deleing all copies you have.

The photo concerned is this one:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/user/profile.aspx/gerry-aitken-1

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/assets/user/profile/images/photos/afd7cca0-fb2c-4f5d-b1b3-3c9d23b13fa3.jpg

It's used on this thread on pages 31 and 36, e.g.: [edit: not any more - now deleted]

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=1400#2266863

Obviously, to avoid this threat and a very large potential bill, I'm inclined to comply with this order [the right to free expression on snowHeads is not one I'm prepared to pay the price for, financially], and am currently researching alternative photos to substitute for the one previously used. That photo was placed in the public domain by the SCGB, who I'd assumed were the copyright-holders. A Ski Club council member/director is essentially a politician, and it's not normal for politicians to prevent reproduction of their images in the public domain.

However, Gerry Aitken has a human right to be upset about things, and I'm about to address that.

[The above posting is not an April Fool, and I've assumed that Gerry Aitken's email is not an April Fool - it's arrived from his normal email address]

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 1-04-13 20:28; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17992&start=200 and he lied about wanting payment.

Quote:
So where did the figure of £200 come from?
David had been posting informative and amusing content to snowHeads since soon after it began in Feb'04. I suggested during one of our 'friendly' chats that some of these posts would be better in a dedicated news column for two reasons. Firstly many people prefer to 'read only' rather than 'discuss' on forums and this would provide concentrated info in one place for them. Secondly many people become shy of posting to a forum where 'everyone seems to know so much'; they often don't notice that most of the info is coming from very few individuals and as a result those individuals end up dominating discussion to the detriment of the forum's general balance.
I set up the new front page in Sept '04 and David started posting his more newsy items to it. If anything, this new avenue seemed to put a bit of a wind beneath his wings and he stepped up his output. The result was, IMV, rather good.

In Jan'05, David declared that he could not justify spending so much time on snowHeads without some remuneration and declared that he would stop posting items to the news column on Feb 5th (snowHeads' first anniversary) unless we had made some agreement to that effect by then.
His intitial request was that I pay him £20 per news item with an expectation of 10 items per week (£200 see, was I being mis-leading? ) Apparently this was far below the market rate for his work.
I told him snowHeads wasn't even bringing in that much and negotiations began, became a bit surreal and ended with David's declaration that if it were the case that snowHeads could not afford to pay him, snowHeads would be better off as a community owned thing.... well, u know the rest.

David has denied demanding money so many times in this topic, anyone would think he'd been accused of it

BTW, looks very much like you've been got with an April 1st joke.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 1-04-13 11:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
PJSki wrote:
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17992&start=200 and he lied about wanting payment.

BTW, looks very much like you've been got with an April 1st joke.

The following alternative photo of Gerry Aitken, legitimately captured by a paparazzi photographer in southern England, has now been deposited in the snowHeads photographic archives:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/images/users/41247/Gerry_Aitken_3.jpg
ski holidays
I have some misgivings about this thread, it smacks a bit of the post 2004 sniping although it is fair to say a crass post from the SCGB started it. However DG has convinced me with his figures that there are some serious questions about the repping service. Questions that would be better debated by the Ski Club and not us snowheads, but given that DG is banned over there. I'm not sure trying to silence critics and "awkward" people is the best course of action.

Unless the repping service has some other hidden benefits it seems to be pretty much a dead duck.
ski holidays
davidof, his figures are deliberately misleading. He even has access to robust figures which he has chosen to misinterpret.

CG certainly has a track record to having wild and imaginative versions of the truth: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17992&start=200

'Dead duck'? The leading service is used by over 5,000 people every season. I would imagine that a great swath of them would leave if you wound the service up, probably taking more money out of the club than would be saved.

CG's approach seem to be to state the same lie over and over again until people start to believe it.
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:
davidof, his figures are deliberately misleading. He even has access to robust figures which he has chosen to misinterpret.

Yes I saw your... erm I mean Gerry's figures on the Ski Club site and the skier day interpretation has merit too. As I say, it would be better for this debate to take place between Ski Club members on their forum.
snow report
davidof wrote:
PJSki wrote:

Yes I saw your... erm I mean Gerry's figures on the Ski Club site and the skier day interpretation has merit too. As I say, it would be better for this debate to take place between Ski Club members on their forum.

He'll always take this to where he will get the most vocal support, which is here of course. As a dirty little propagandist, this place is a better base for him.
ski holidays
I said this before, but my comment was deleted. I'll say it a different way: could this thread be moved to a more relevant forum area (please)?
snow report
trickygibbon wrote:
I said this before, but my comment was deleted. I'll say it a different way: could this thread be moved to a more relevant forum area (please)?

Have you been censored? who deleted your post?
snow report
trickygibbon, why move it? It was started by a SCGB employee here. If it hasn't painted SCGB (or some of its members) in a glowing light that's a risk a savvy social media expert considers when they blunder into something. If it was the office intern then it says something about SCGB's social media engagement I think.

By and large I couldn't give a flying Be Nice please! about internal politics at the SCGB (and CG's obsession with holding them to acount) but if the suggestion is to move it somewhere ungoogleable then that starts to smack of whitewash. I did once buy a book on clearance about the history of the SCGB (edited or writted by Arnie Wilson IIRC so I thought it might have some hallmark of quality) but I found it so turgid that I almost lost the will to live.
snow report
Just lock it.
If the not very funny comedy doesn't keep it alive then clearly those with an interest in SCGB will also get personal and keep their thread alive.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy