Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Read Rob Tillard's book and you'll see that he was arguing for an intelligent analysis and solution ('Project 70') in the year that man landed on the Moon. The reactionaries broke him.

You're saying that Rob Tillard was driven to almost commit suicide by the 'reactionaries' within the Ski Club?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 18-03-13 19:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DT68 wrote:
CG, I see you dodged the question about the SCGB forum ... rolling eyes

Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
It's no exaggeration to say that the Club has existed in a parallel universe for 4-5 decades now, catering (these days) for a tiny percentage of the British ski population with skewed demographics.
Read Rob Tillard's book and you'll see that he was arguing for an intelligent analysis and solution ('Project 70') in the year that man landed on the Moon. The reactionaries broke him.

So what was the renaissance of Tillard's title, which (I presume) followed the decline which saw him leave?

PS: it is a bit difficult to read the book if (as you say) it was only privately published. We shall have to rely on you to feed us titbits as you teasingly unfold the great conspiracy before our eyes.

Yes, all very convenient, isn't it?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Come on PJSki, leave the conspiracy theorising to CG.

PS: I was not convinced by CG's attempt to identify you earlier. I believe that the clue is in the name: is this you in the stripes?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DT68 wrote:
CG, I see you dodged the question about the SCGB forum ... rolling eyes

I didn't dodge the question at all. I suggested that the SCGB's staff should always be treated as intelligent and rational, which would not threaten their sanity at all.

DT68 wrote:
... it is a bit difficult to read the book if (as you say) it was only privately published.

It's only difficult if you don't get off your perfectly-formed arse to buy a copy. Just because it was privately published (and has no ISBN, which wasn't sensible) doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Try the abebooks network of secondhand/rare booksellers. Four of them have copies as I type. Or contact the author (if he's live and kicking) at - this is the only address I have, in the back of the book - Rob Tillard Ski Guides, PO Box 2711, Lewes, BN7 4DG. He sold me a few copies at a reasonable price, about ten years ago. Or have a look in the SCGB clubhouse library in Wimbledon. Last time I looked, someone had sneaked a copy into the back of a shelf. I was told that the book had ruffled a few feathers when it was published, but hopefully things have calmed down by now.

PJSki wrote:
You're saying that Rob Tillard was driven to almost commit suicide by the 'reactionaries' within the Ski Club?

He draws his own clear line in the narrative. You'll have to form your own conclusions on that. The elderly German tourist perhaps saved his life, which is the main thing (and a rather uplifting moment in the story).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DT68 wrote:
Come on PJSki, leave the conspiracy theorising to CG.

PS: I was not convinced by CG's attempt to identify you earlier. I believe that the clue is in the name: is this you in the stripes?

CG gets all upset about people posting anonymously on the internet and will demand to know their real identities, unless they agree with him, in which case he will defend their right to anonymity.

CG has decreed that the Ski Club is 'on a knife edge' and you can be sure he will do everything and anything within his albeit limited power to make his prophecies self fulfilling ones.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

PJSki wrote:

He draws his own clear line in the narrative. You'll have to form your own conclusions on that. The elderly German tourist perhaps saved his life, which is the main thing (and a rather uplifting moment in the story).

On what page does he do that?

You wrote "The reactionaries broke him [Rob Tillard]." so clearly you are saying he was driven almost to kill himself. Or are you now backtracking from that suggestion?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DT68 wrote:
So what was the renaissance of Tillard's title, which (I presume) followed the decline which saw him leave?

Yes, the subtitle of the book - The decline and renaissance of the Ski Club of Great Britain - had me asking the same question. As I've stressed, and as I understand it, the maximum number of membership subscriptions the SCGB ever achieved was in 1960. That's from a compilation of annual membership numbers sourced by one of the Club's consultants and members over 20 years ago. So I'm not clear when this renaissance occurred.

Presumably Gerry Aitken has comprehensive historical membership data, given the number of years he's served on the board.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PJSki wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
He draws his own clear line in the narrative.

On what page does he do that?

You wrote "The reactionaries broke him [Rob Tillard]." so clearly you are saying he was driven almost to kill himself. Or are you now backtracking from that suggestion?

He describes his rail journey to suicide on pages 152-3, having packed a pair of pyjamas and a razor (he doesn't mention a toothbrush). This is almost the end of part 3 of the book, which starts on p.92, titled 'Secretary-General SCGB'. He begins that section with the Club's move from Hobart Place to Eaton Square in 1953. You'll find a lot of interesting material just on that first page.

I'm not backtracking in saying there's a clear line in the narrative. His story couldn't be more direct: literally from being sacked to his mortal decision, from one paragraph to the next. You will be shocked.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 18-03-13 21:43; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gerry him page

About me
Apart from skiing, Gerry's other hobbies include: astronomy, creative writing, playing the penny whistle, kittens, embroidery, skipping, pottery, basket weaving and designing shrubberies.

I am guessing he might be busy!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Filthyphil30k, you seem to have missed out knitting and Morris Dancing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CG I don't know whether running the SCGB is good for anyone's health, but I do wonder if you might sleep easier if you were to take up a different hobby.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Long list above.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shall we have a sweepstake on how many posters in this thread in recent days have the same IP as PJSki? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland wrote:
Shall we have a sweepstake on how many posters in this thread in recent days have the same IP as PJSki? rolling eyes

I bet you £1,000 it's only me. Want to put your money where your mouth is? The money can go to charity.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PJSki, Winterhighland, surely only BadminO would know the answer Puzzled
snow conditions
Off Topic - apologies - but -----

PJSki, I think you have an edit marker in built into your sig
Quote:
Last edited by PJSki on Mon Apr 12, 10 19:56; edited 1 time in total

April 2010?? rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Right chaps - back to the SCGB Saga
snow report
If you and Gerry, stopped rising to the bait, this thread would be gathering dust by now.
For CG it must be like fishing in a fish farm!
snow conditions
boredsurfin, assume you mean DT68? I'm staying out of the contentious stuff.
snow report
Dubaian, Indeed I think we posted at the same time
snow conditions
boredsurfin, would that were true. I fear we would still be treated to twice-daily and unremittingly negative instalments from Nostradamus. The only difference would be that his rather partial assertions would go without any form of challenge: Nostradamus would probably interpret the lack of challenge as vindication and feel emboldened to make yet wilder and more derogatory accusations rolling eyes . But I will give it a go and (try and) refrain from posting on this thread for a while.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
For CG it must be like fishing in a funny farm!

Fixed it for you.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:
For CG it must be like fishing in a funny farm!

Fixed it for you.

Boresurfin, QED. I suspect you have underestimated CG's apparent vindictiveness and lack of insight. Now back into Purdah.
snow report
Spot on.

So, to summarise... at the Cafe Royal on 6th May 1903 etc etc zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
snow conditions
Dubaian wrote:

Quote:

It's the SKGB random post alteration virus. He's been infected Shocked
latest report
musher, your turn to tell them - I already gave. Laughing
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
CG I don't know whether running the SCGB is good for anyone's health, but I do wonder if you might sleep easier if you were to take up a different hobby.

A slightly matronly tone there, but your username proves that you are a quality mother. As for sleep remedies, I shall be drinking tonight's cocoa from Megamug. Thank you, mum.
latest report
NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE KNOW THIS
Maybe your great-grandpa/ma was a Snow Agent

3 years after its inauguration in 1903, the SCGB set up its first electronic (or rather electric) networking. The precursor of the ski forum/chat forum ... not to mention Winterhighland ... was a little network of 'Snow Agents' around the UK who telegrammed news about snow and skiing prospects back to London. Arnie Wilson, in his centennial SCGB book Snow Crazy, explained in 2003 ...

Quote:
There were agents at Buxton, Sheffield and Shrewsbury; in Yorkshire at Litton (above Skipton) and Sedbergh; in the Lake District at Troutbeck, near Windermere; and in Scotland at Glasgow, Tomintoul, Dalwhinnie and Kingussie ..."

Relevant - and exclusive - communication in 1906. Another lesson from history!
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Quote:
There were agents at Buxton, Sheffield and Shrewsbury; in Yorkshire at Litton (above Skipton) and Sedbergh; in the Lake District at Troutbeck, near Windermere; and in Scotland at Glasgow, Tomintoul, Dalwhinnie and Kingussie ..."

Relevant communication in 1906. Another lesson from history!

CG get your facts right! Last time a checked Sheffield was in Yorkshire & Sedbergh was in Cumbria. Have they moved Puzzled

I know they are both north of Watford but i presume the SCGB clubhouse, in Wales, does have a map of the UK Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewart woodward wrote:
CG get your facts right! Last time a checked Sheffield was in Yorkshire & Sedbergh was in Cumbria. Have they moved Puzzled

The sentence, transcribed verbatim from Snow Crazy, is clearly defective. Thanks for pointing out the error, which will be drawn to the attention of the author.
ski holidays
Dubaian wrote:

Quote:

Excellent! SAGA is probably more appropriate given the demographics - maybe they'll bid at some point. How about the SSKGB...?
snow report
Winterhighland wrote:

I bet you £1,000 it's only me. Want to put your money where your mouth is? The money can go to charity.
ski holidays
Christ, and you accuse CG of being repetitive rolling eyes
latest report
Chasseur wrote:

Just calling the phucker out. Laughing
snow conditions
Its all a bit boring.
ski holidays
Chasseur wrote:

Just calling the phucker out. Laughing
snow conditions
Winterhighland wrote:

I bet you £1,000 it's only me. Want to put your money where your mouth is? The money can go to charity. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Don't directors of the SKGB have better things to do with their time?
ski holidays
Chasseur wrote:
Don't directors of the SKGB have better things to do with their time?

Raising money for charity is a waste of time?
latest report
PJSki, perhaps Winterhighland, and Chasseur are all mouth no trousers (or should that be trews?). Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
WHAT LED UP TO 'MO DAY'?
The day the SCGB closed its public forum for 9 years

Much has been discussed and debated about the Ski Club of Great Britain's dysfunctional relationship with British skiers, which has evolved over a period of 50 years and which seems tricky now - in 2013 - to salvage. It's really very difficult to see how the chime and harmony of Britain's national ski club can be restored to the community of c.1 million skiers/boarders it's supposed to serve. Back in December 2003 (two months before the fateful decision) I took a very different - very optimistic - view. The forum was jammed and jumping:

Quote:
The Club was founded by the greatest brains in British skiing and there's no reason for Britain's leading thinkers not to be here now. I personally believe that everyone should have a voice and be recognised for their input, and that's the essence of these pages. The internet is the most exciting thing in modern skiing and I hope the Club continues its excellent work with this website.

What is the Ski Club for?
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=4081&page=1#.UUjhVTep440

An understanding of why an extremely fertile and promising forum closed in February 2004 is important. The restoration of the forum in December 2012 has clearly not worked - there's been neglible traction and traffic over the past 3 months, despite the fact that SCGB members themselves (not to mention the general public who are free to register) are free and able to generate this traffic.

So, what led up to the enormous impact of 'MO Day'? These two threads give some flavour of discussions about Ski Club reps, the controversy over off-piste leading, and one or two other issues that seemed to trigger the SCGB Council to stop the dialogue and put the shutters up ...

What can I expect from a Ski Club rep?
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=4120#.UUjl3jep440

Minutes should be published on the internet
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/The-Ski-Club?discussionID=6418#.UUjmgDep440
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy