Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
musher wrote:
Bode Swiller,

One to "market" and seven to ski "all expenses paid"?

How many SCGB marketing bods does it take to change a lightbulb?

Best answer gets a free new username with an 'o' on the end.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller wrote:
Are you a member of the club?
No
Then I don't see what it's got to do with you.

Yes
Well if it's so important to you, why don't you bring it up at the AGM?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I kknow one of their PR girls from a season, she was a TO rep and her boyfriend an instructor; dinner table debates on SCGB Ski hosts now perhaps...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 6-03-13 20:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
badmin wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
No

Yes
Well if it's so important to you, why don't you bring it up at the AGM?

I'm so pleased that Care In The Community seems to be working for you. I am definitely thinking of joining SCGB but I haven't found a suitable Schnauzer yet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
badmin wrote:

No

Rattling on about things that are nothing to do with us is what we do. Do try to keep up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think bad-
ass'
dmin
might be more appropriate Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hear a pin drop in a snowfield

One wouldn't wish to labour the point, but it's been an absurdly quiet few days on the SCGB forum ...

Friday 8 March: 11 posts made by 5 posters
Saturday 9 March: No posts at all
Sunday 10 March: 2 posts made by 2 posters
Monday 11 March (so far, by 21:30): 3 posts made by 3 posters

Between 21:42 on Friday evening and 22:20 on Sunday night there were no posts - a period of over 48 hours of zero activity across the weekend.

Looking at the SCGB's new media strategy a little more broadly - the Facebook page - the Club posted news items to its 6500 followers on ...

Friday 8 March: generating 9 Likes, no comments
Saturday 9 March: 3 Likes, no comments
Sunday 10 March: No Likes, 2 comments
Monday 11 March: no activity so far

The Ski Club of Great Britain is 110 years old, has a claimed 34,000 members, and states that it has 1.8 million unique users of its website per annum. In relation to those big/huge figures, this level of new media interaction is so low as to be effectively non-existent - of no demonstrable membership value or recruitment value whatsoever. The SCGB's forum was 'revived' 3 months ago but is essentially dead in the water, compared to its highly active period of 2002-4. I can't see that any membership/community organisation operating in the 21st century can survive with such a state of paralysis. What's going to be done about it?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Comedy Goldsmith, what do you want done about it?

You are like the town wino going on about crap no one else cares about?

Have you thought about addressing the issue with them?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Filthyphil30k, don't be so utterly ridiculous. Are you the charming and engaging Phil who runs SnowVole, or have I had one glass too many?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, what do you want done about it?

You are like the town wino going on about crap no one else cares about?

have to agree. Painful.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Filthyphil30k, its pretty obvious what's going to be on this thread. It's quite simple really, just don't open the thread if you don't want to read it. It's not compulsory to read every post on snowHeads you know wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
have to agree.

On the contrary - you don't "have to agree". You're an independent human being. My recent consumption of carrot juice* (helps one see clearly) has far outweighed any wine sipping. No you "don't have to agree" with silly personal abuse from the cosy chalet of a false name.

I've given positive ideas to the Ski Club of Britain for several decades - as have many many others (began writing for the SCGB in 1977, and have worked for six successive editors of the Club's magazine including the present incumbent). The editorial and design team we formed in 1983 boosted the newstand sales of the magazine from 3,000 to 12,000. It's patently obvious what has to be done - the Club has to 'get with the programme'. That means a software program which presents a forum that people want to use. Then there are all the other aspects of social media which have to be cracked - all successful non-profit organisations I know (or work with) are cracking on with this. The Club doesn't have to continue as a trough for expenses-paid skiing or blank-cheque expenditure on hopeless schemes.

Obviously this is snowHeads, and therefore it has no business looking at the performance of the "voice of UK snowsports" or "independent spokesbody of British skiers". But, actually, it does!

Here's an interesting historical point: the paid subscriptions of the Ski Club of Great Britain peaked in 1966 at 18,020. Since then, despite three decades of enormous growth of the British ski market, the number of subscriptions declined and currently stands (we're told - it was omitted from the 2012 annual report) 1500 below this level.

Now, what else happened in 1966? We won the greatest international soccer victory in UK history (World Cup, Britain v Germany). We celebrated the greatest-ever French flashmob (900th anniversary of the Flashmob of Hastings). John Lennon declared that the Beatles were "more popular than Jesus". It was a great year for music and culture, though this thread (started by the SCGB) has had more hits than the Beatles.

The SCGB situation right now is very interesting and - I would say - on a knife-edge. Let's see what happens in the coming months.

---------------------------------
* Currently available from M&S at £5 for 3 x wine-bottle-size bottles (750ml), and nicely blended with orange juice.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 12-03-13 9:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Now, what else happened in 1966? We won the greatest international soccer victory in UK history (World Cup, Britain v Germany).

aye, just come up to Glasgow with ye ignorant southern clap-trap ya wee toaley-headed bampot.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
True. "England" rather than "Britain". Slip of the fingers there!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Looking at the SCGB's new media strategy a little more broadly - the Facebook page - the Club posted news items to its 6500 followers on ...

Friday 8 March: generating 9 Likes, no comments

Saturday 9 March: 3 Likes, no comments

Sunday 10 March: No Likes, 2 comments

Monday 11 March: no activity so far

That is really crap social networking - you should aim for a minimum of 10% of the 'likes' to be 'talking about you'.
But I expect the demographic is vastly different between a facebook user and a SCGB member.
FB could be the injection needed for new subs and really boost the membership numbers. Publishing all the discounts available and all that special stuff on offer...
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
Filthyphil30k, its pretty obvious what's going to be on this thread. It's quite simple really, just don't open the thread if you don't want to read it. It's not compulsory to read every post on snowHeads you know wink

Fair advice Cathy, and I have no personal axe to grind with goldsmith, just wanted to know how banging the drum about it on here will fix the ski club.
latest report
Quote:

this level of new media interaction is so low as to be effectively non-existent

Because the club membership is largely old gits who wot not of social media and prefer to spend their time banging on about ancient history? The fact that the forum has a special playpen for 'the under-24s to chat amongst themselves' pretty much tells you what you need to know about the organisation and its SAGAesque demographic. Laughing
ski holidays
Filthyphil30k wrote:

Fair advice Cathy, and I have no personal axe to grind with goldsmith, just wanted to know how banging the drum about it on here will fix the ski club.

It won't but DG/CG cannot post in the 'reopened' SCGB so-called chat forum so sH gets his thoughts on the matter.

I understand there are a few SCGB forum folks who are much more active here than in their own patch so some of what is said here might have an impact - but I doubt it.

Their forum is clanky home-brewed software so even with several paid employees they seem to find it difficult / impossible to introduce improvements and without active posters it might as well stay as it is. SCGB, Natives, IfYouSki and for all I know some other previously active forums have all closed or become virtually closed due to non-activity. Rigor Postis.
Good job we have sH really. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

The fact that the forum has a special playpen for 'the under-24s to chat amongst themselves' pretty much tells you what you need to know about the organisation and its SAGAesque demographic.

hehe, it tickles me that it's empty too!
snow report
Yes, the wise sage of the desert sands has it right. It's essentially an 'HQ knows best' problem, instead of 'Members know best' ... which is where the SCGB was during its opening half-century (1903-c.1955-60).
snow conditions
Dubaian wrote:

Their forum is clanky home-brewed software

It is counter intuitive in places but the Snowheads platform is very clanky too but it has critical mass and people either ignore or are used to the quirks.
snow report
sherman-maeir, I know - we are stuck with an old version of phpbb for a number of reasons. But at least we have PM'ing. They don't. The good thing they have is an archive search engine - not that anyone is in there to use it. Our search engine is pretty poor

As you say - we live with sH - warts an' all. snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 12-03-13 10:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Dubaian wrote:
But at least we have PM'ing. They don't.

I think their problems go way beyong PMing.
ski holidays
sherman-maeir, very true. But posters there have requested it - and it hasn't been granted altho' the powers that be agreed it would be a jolly good thing....

(((( EDIT and I think even said in the magazine that it was available. No it isn't. Not yet. ))))

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 12-03-13 10:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

It's essentially an 'HQ knows best' problem, instead of 'Members know best'

Since the average member seems to be senile, they could have a point. Laughing
snow report
Dubaian wrote:
sherman-maeir, very true. But posters there have requested it - and it hasn't been granted altho' the powers that be agreed it would be a jolly good thing....

Thanks for the background. PMing wouldn't normally take more than a wet sunny afternoon to implement, although you have to be very careful about spammers using any system you put in place.

I can't PM, not enough posts in my 10 years membership, or something Happy. That's one way to prevent spam.

BTW, those were the days

Quote:

David Goldsmith, Moderator, Snowheads.com
To: sherman-maeir
Subject: Your SCGB posts

...are causing slight concern amongst the moderators.

The Edit message is there to do the diplomatic bit, but the SCGB might blow up on this. Essentially we suspect that there may be some truth in what you're saying, but there's no point in a war erupting.

no holds barred from DG these days still anyone can change his mind if he thinks the facts have changed.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 12-03-13 10:15; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
Quote:
That's one way to prevent spam.
- being down a crevasse with a busted email address must be a pretty effective spam blocker, too. wink rolling eyes wink
snow conditions
Dubaian wrote:
Quote:
That's one way to prevent spam.
- being down a crevasse with a busted email address must be a pretty effective spam blocker, too. wink rolling eyes wink

Yes, that's why I don't get snow reports anymore.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

We're coming up to a year since the departure (31 Mar 2012) of Caroline Stuart-Taylor as CEO of the SCGB, after a reign of 16 years ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=87024

Quote:
"I'm immensely proud of all the Ski Club has achieved in my time as Chief Executive from its move from Eaton Square to the Club's home in Wimbledon in 1997 to its complete rebrand in 2010 and leave the Club in a strong and healthy position as the UK's largest snowsports club with its 31,000+ members."

Now, of course it would be churlish to muffle anyone's trumpet, but it later emerged that the Club made a pre-tax loss of £86k in 2011-12. The newstand sales of the magazine had fallen to around 1,000, from a peak of over 12,000. We'll have to see what pans out with the membership numbers (they are next counted on 30 April).

The membership figures of "31,000+", "34,000" etc., as bandied-about in recent years, are - incidentally - a product of counting-in children up to the age of 24 in family memberships [a wheeze which was introduced about 10 years ago].

On a positive note, the Club declared a 'members fund' of £2.6 million in 2012, comprising property and cash etc. That either means plenty more to squander on expenditure which gains little membership satisfaction or growth ... or the potential for something relevant. If you're a SCGB member (or maybe even if you're not), the 2012 annual report and accounts can be accessed here ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/assets/files/documents/report_accounts_2012_new.pdf

snow conditions
sherman-maeir, slightly off-topic, I could haul you out of the crevasse but it does actually appear that the domain you used for your registration email no longer exists. You'll need to change your email address in order to get snowmails and be able to use PMs here
snow report
cathy wrote:

Theres been some interesting stuff on this thread.

Theres also been some "I want to bang my head on the desk with frustration" stuff. Its only temporary though, as I soon head back to the Apres Zone.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Theres been some interesting stuff on this thread.

(said the needle to the haberdasher). It's always good to know of a satisfied customer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to the reasonably important issue of
WHO RUNS THE SKI CLUB OF GREAT BRITAIN IN 2013?

THE COUNCIL OFFICERS

Patron: HRH The Duke of Kent
President: Frank Gardner (elected 2011)
Chairman: Rob Crowder (elected 2012)
Treasurer: Steven Brabbs (elected 2008)

The chairman serves for up to five years. The president and treasurer can serve for longer, if the membership vote for this.

COUNCIL MEMBERS: Gerry Aitken (elected 2011), Richard Bird (2010), Chris Glynne (2009), Alan Lyons (2011), Malcolm Bentley (2012), Patrick Usborne (2013), Paul Whitehead (2010).

Each councillor serves for four years, but resignation is permitted. Jim Harrison (elected 2009) and Harriet Bradley (2010) are recorded by Companies House as having terminated their SCGB directorships on 14 November 2011. Current directorships of the Ski Club of Great Britain Limited are clarified on the next posting.

A lot more information about the duties and rights of the Club's officers, council, voting rights of members and so on ... can be found in the memorandum and articles of association:
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/assets/files/documents/memandarts.pdf
If you're a Ski Club member, you might be interested in having a browse of that document. It perhaps warrants comparison with other national sporting bodies, clubs etc, in relation to voting rights, memberships, duties, confidentiality etc. For example, this clause doesn't seem to chime with the principles of the founding fathers (1903) who built such a successful and influential organisation up to the 1950s ...

Quote:
69.2 The Council shall from time to time determine whether and to what extent and at what times and places and under what conditions or regulations the said accounts, minutes and books or any of them shall be open to the inspection of Members not being Council Members and no Member (not being a Council Member) shall have any right of inspecting any accounts or minute book or document of the Club except as conferred by statute or authorised by the Council or by the Club in general meeting.

There's much more material of that quality (in terms of members' interests) in the M&Ms - have a browse!

I clearly recall that Council minutes were non-confidential at the time I served as a SCGB councillor, over 20 years ago. The minutes were in bound volumes on open shelving in the club secretary's office at 118 Eaton Square (the previous clubhouse), for inspection by members.

EXECUTIVE STAFF
Finally, in terms of the Club's control there is - of course - the SCGB's chief executive Frank McCusker (who began work 2 July 2012)

The SCGB's website lists a total of 32 staff below the CEO, at least 3 of whom are believed to be freelance/contracted consultants.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 15-03-13 14:11; edited 7 times in total
ski holidays

A screengrab from the current records for Ski Club of Great Britain Limited, held at Companies House.

Interesting points to note are the resignation of the last female board/council member (Harriet Bradley) in November 2011, one year after election.

The club is currently run by 3 male officers, plus 7 male councillors and a male CEO.

Also note the resignation of the Club's CEO Frank McCusker as a director on 3 Sep 2012, 2 months after his appointment as CEO and 3 weeks after becoming a director on 14 Aug 2012. There is probably a perfectly logical explanation for this. The previous CEO Caroline Stuart-Taylor originally held the job title 'managing director' and then became chief executive.
ski holidays
Can we have fingerprints and DNA samples next please.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Filthyphil30k, don't be so utterly ridiculous. Are you the charming and engaging Phil who runs SnowVole, or have I had one glass too many?

why should it be mutually exclusive?
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith, rolling eyes
((((Yawn))))
Since being a member of the SCGB is the cause of so much grief to you, why don't you cancel the direct debit and leave when your membership expires?
ski holidays
DT68, I'm reluctant to get into debate with a cloakroom ticket. Please give my regards to DT69 (adjacent hanger)
latest report
Those with a very long memory will recall that this thread began 3 months ago with the following innocent spam ...

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856#2172896

Gotoma86 - probably no relation to DT68 - wrote:
Wow, Ski Club of Great Britain have re-launched their chat forum and it looks good. Simple sign-up, you don't need to become a member plus they seem to have introduced profiles as well. Well this will be fun, who's going to jump ship and start using the Tea Club forum then?[/url]

Encouragement now comes in the form of this SCGB news item, with guidance on how to get the best from the forum ...

Make the most of the Ski Club chat forum
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=8866#.UUL6bzep440

Quote:
Don't miss out on the conversation by enabling email alerts. If you'd like to be kept up to date with new discussions or a reply to your comment, click 'Email alerts' at the top right hand side of the discussion and choose your preferences. You can choose how often you receive alerts and, if you'd only like to receive alerts on specific topics then select 'filter by keywords'. As well as single words, you can enter multiple words and phrases.

Also offered [not something I've encountered on other ski forums]: an opportunity to communicate with god / sockgod:

Quote:
We're all here to worship the gods of snow, so don't be afraid to ask a question or get involved in a discussion.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 15-03-13 12:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith, don't confuse ranting to yourself obsessively in public with having a discussion wink .
Why don't you answer my earlier question?
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
DT68, I'm reluctant to get into debate with a cloakroom ticket. Please give my regards to DT69 (adjacent hanger)

Laughing Laughing Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I'm not in the slightest bit interested in the SCGB but, bizarrely, this thread has held my interest (periodically, at least) for a while now. Please carry on, CG - don't be put off by those who lack the wit to recognise the value of your investigative work.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy