Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

The most obvious root essential for any club is for members to be able to communicate privately, publicly or communally ... without fear or favour. As of today, the most basic aspect of that - private messaging from member to member - has not been implemented, despite an announcement a month ago (in the Club's magazine) that the service now exists!

you think SCGB will see a noticeable increase in members once the PM function is working? Thats not really going to happen is it?

The SCGB is seeing a decline for the same reasons travel agents are; thanks to the internet we are much more self-empowered self sufficient travelers these days.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
The SCGB is seeing a decline
from DGs figures on the previous page paid up membership is relatively stable. OK a slight dip recently but nothing drastic - so far.

But I think we have demonstrated there is absolutely no life (apart from Gerry) in the reopened forum. And that their snow reports for Scotland are often plain wrong. The rest of the web site is OK as an information source - but you don't need to be a paid member to view that.

Shimmy Alcott,
Quote:
thanks to the internet we are much more self-empowered self sufficient travelers these days.
Agreed.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A development on the SCGB forum this morning ... Gerry Aitken's thread, which promoted the burning of effigies of fellow Ski Club member(s) who disagreed with him (encouraging Helen O'brien to prefer the conflagration of the member(s) themselves) ... seems to have been removed. This was the URL of the thread ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/The-Ski-Club?discussionID=14314&page=1#.US-B8jd7TTo

More importantly, picking up Dubaian's point above ...

Dubaian wrote:
paid up [SCGB] membership is relatively stable

... it's important to note that the Ski Club of Great Britain had a membership of 12,000 to 16,000 between 1955 and 1960 (when I doubt if there were more than 50,000 skiers in the UK).

It was at that point - early 1960s - that flights, package holidays, Scottish ski centres (construction of first major lifts, then Aviemore Centre) began to appear. Most significantly, charter flights substantially reduced the cost of overseas skiing.

Significantly, the SCGB's membership then levelled off, though it crept up a bit to around 18,000 in the late 1960s. So, essentially, the 20-fold+ rise in British skiers we've seen in the decades since 1960 has had no impact on SCGB membership whatsoever. The Club has simply become more and more irrelevant to the aspirations and needs of the British skier, particularly in the 21st century. A Club which once accounted for 30%+ of British skiers now accounts for fewer than 3%.

Where are the game-changers?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Where are the game-changers?

Quote:
There are 35332 registered snowHeads .
(many of whom have skied together on the bashes)
Quote:
We have 70,176 registered users on j2Ski
(J2 Ski organised their first bash this year.)

I suggest there is in part of an answer to your question above.

The SCGB of course charges a large chunk of cash to be associated with it. (Although personal abuse on their forum appears to be free wink )

I dare say if someone was to post "I'm skiing in ABC resort on these dates is their anyone that can show me around the main lifts etc" on snowHeads I'm sure someone would offer for free on a voluntary basis wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are there any good SCGB discussions on j2ski?

If not, I'm not interested.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Are there any good SCGB discussions on j2ski?

If not, I'm not interested.

Why don't you start one?

With your obsessions you do on most skiing message boards.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richjp, joking aside, I found this one - see pages 6+7 ...

http://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/40/12762.page

Let's remember that this was the second avoidable death connected with the leadership of a SCGB rep in Verbier. Maybe we can agree that these off-piste responsibilities/liabilities should cease.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There seems to be an increasingly loud echo between this thread and an earlier one in which CG's alter ego, David Goldsmith, featured prominently.
Whichever way you cook it, a full frontal attack on the SCGB's reps' service is quite a long way off-topic ... Comedy Goldsmith: Why not start a new thread devoted to the subject?
wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 4-03-13 21:19; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DT68, for some reason your second red link logs out. I think this may work better ...

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30844&highlight=changes+scgb+reps+offpiste+rules

I'd agree with you, except that we don't really need another new thread. That one is specific to off-piste repping, and seems to have emerged because of the second Verbier incident. Admittedly it's been dormant since Sep 2010, but the issues remain fluid.

Bear in mind that discussion of off-piste repping was the cause of the SCGB forum's closure in 2004 (as many people saw it) ... so it's not irrelevant to this thread. What's welcome is that the new SCGB forum heading 'The Ski Club' ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/forum.aspx/The-Ski-Club#.UTTk4Td7TTo

... says ...
Quote:
Use this forum to discuss any matters pertaining to the Ski Club. All comments are welcome

and not ...
Quote:
If you have any complaint or criticism of the Ski Club, you should address it to the Ski Club itself (you can send an email to skiers@skiclub.co.uk)

... which remains in the terms and conditions of the forum (revision required?) ...
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/guidelines.aspx#.UTTlPjd7TTo
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
DT68, for some reason your second red link logs out. I think this may work better ...

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30844&highlight=changes+scgb+reps+offpiste+rules

I'd agree with you, except that we don't really need another new thread. That one is specific to off-piste repping, and seems to have emerged because of the second Verbier incident.

I too was logged out but thanks to your link have now been able to correct the second red link. You will see it now goes into a page where, one third of the way down, your alter ego was raising exactly the same, generic, value for money argument you have so tenaciously been pursuing latterly via this thread. It was not specific to off-piste (although that is how the thread may have started).

Anyway, there it is. You could always propose a motion for the AGM if you don't like the repping service.

As I have said before (recently and in another place that you can no longer see wink ): "I have skied with leaders in the past (only occasionally, mind) and enjoyed doing so. I am unlikely to ski with them in the foreseeable future for reasons of personal preference. I know some leaders and like them. My view (without having carried out a forensic cost/benefit analysis) has always been that they are an enhancement to the Club."
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

DT68 wrote:
You could always propose a motion for the AGM if you don't like the repping service.

DT68, I've been attending Ski Club of Great Britain AGMs since the late 1980s and nothing I have ever done at these meetings has ever achieved anything. "Proposing a motion" would simply be laughed at by the top nobs - I'm not sure that it's even possible. I'd be better off passing a motion in the nearest water closet.

In 1960, the then president of the Ski Club of Britain expressed the view that 25% of British skiers (the SCGB's then membership of 12,644, against a total of c.50,000 British skiers) was an "under-achievement".

Find me the last chairman or president of the SCGB who has gone on record to say that 2.5% of British skiers (the SCGB's recent performance) is an "under-achievement".

The only thing one can do in this situation is to play the proverbial gnat on the rhino and hope that - one day - the organisation will live up to one's modest expectations, rather than spending its members' money on expenses-paid skiing for the ruling elite.

By the way, after the SCGB president expressed his view (above) in 1960, the membership grew each year until 1966 (18,020). Real commitment, truth and empathy can mean something!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
N.B. The "34,000" claim - pasted above - remains live on the members' home page of the SCGB website. It's the highest-ever membership figure published ... and is sadly false (HQ's attention to this was drawn last July)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
I've been attending Ski Club of Great Britain AGMs since the late 1980s and nothing I have ever done at these meetings has ever achieved anything.

You some sort of emotional masochist then?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feef wrote:
You some sort of emotional masochist then?

No, just the conventional sado masochist.

SCGB AGMs are generally attended for their entertainment value. Interestingly, there's been a great deal of video recording of them in recent years but I'm not aware of a DVD box set, so far.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
The only thing one can do in this situation is to play the proverbial gnat on the rhino and hope that - one day - the organisation will live up to one's modest expectations, rather than spending its members' money on expenses-paid skiing for the ruling elite.

It depends really whether you see the Ski Club as a snowbound version of the Ramblers, or have some rather more ambitious vision. For myself, I would have thought there is a compelling case for seizing the moment and exploiting the TOs' current embarrassment on resort guiding, by massively increasing the size of the resort leading operation in French resorts so that it caters for all ability levels and fills the vacuum left by the recent French court decision.

It is very easy to criticise and carp about any organisation, but much harder (though more constructive) to offer suggestions for the future. So, come on CG: please set out your vision for the Club. Do please try and restrict yourself to not more than 10 lines ...
snow conditions
As DT68 has just written, SCGB are in an amazing position to boot their membership and offer leading in France.
As they are so confident that they are legal to operate in France then hows about this.

All leading for TO's is done by SCGB.
All TO's that offer a leading service include a membership fee in their holidays.
You buy a holiday, tick a box saying you aggree to join SCGB as this will allow any leading.
1 year later the membership fee comes up again, either do it yourself or on your next TO holiday.
snow conditions
DT68 wrote:
... So, come on CG: please set out your vision for the Club....

I think you may come to regret writing that.

Quote:
Do please try and restrict yourself to not more than 10 lines ...

Little Angel
ski holidays
DT68: "So, come on CG: please set out your vision for the Club. Do please try and restrict yourself to not more than 10 lines ... "

Please forgive me for being a bit coy in response to that one. It seems timely to make a communication to each and every board member of the SCGB, and I'll do that shortly. I've a strong inclination as to what should happen, but it would be best for the elected board to take that action.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
DT68: "So, come on CG: please set out your vision for the Club. Do please try and restrict yourself to not more than 10 lines ... "

Please forgive me for being a bit coy in response to that one.

Certainly not. Come on, CG, stop teasing and tell the wider public (all the non-members, members, ex-members, potential members of the SCGB) what your vision is. After all, you are a big believer in transparency so why should we, the public, be denied knowledge of what you are prepared to tell the board?
wink
snow report
DT68, don't be silly. Despite its pretensions as the self-styled "spokesbody of British skiers" etc., the SCGB remains a member-owned organisation. Therefore, a balance needs to be struck in how one does things.

Don't worry - it'll all be published in a few months. I agree with you about transparency, but courtesy also has a part to play and the (voluntary) board of councillors/directors have a right to consider their position and response.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith,
Quote:

courtesy also has a part to play

As it invariably does with you. Call me old-fashioned, but I like that.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
DT68, don't be silly. Despite its pretensions as the self-styled "spokesbody of British skiers" etc., the SCGB remains a member-owned organisation. Therefore, a balance needs to be struck in how one does things.

Don't worry - it'll all be published in a few months. I agree with you about transparency, but courtesy also has a part to play and the (voluntary) board of councillors/directors have a right to consider their position and response.

A pity, as it might lead some (erroneously) to conclude that you have nothing constructive to suggest and are simply buying time to think of something.
ski holidays
achilles, no regrets. Not yet, anyway!
snow conditions
DT68,
You nostalgia fan
latest report
Laughing
snow conditions
Time for another update on SCGB forum action, now that we're into the best weeks of the ski season (and following the recent abolition of the 'excessive posting'/'4% rule'). Registered users are now unrestrained in how many posts can be made, per day. So ... here's a spot audit of activity on the public areas of the forum (those which can be accessed by non-members) over the past two full days ...

4 March: 3 posts made by 3 posters
5 March: 8 posts made by 5 posters

That's the sum total of activity from the claimed 34,000 SCGB members, plus those registered with the forum. 120,000 skiers are stated to be recipients of the SCGB's 'The Edge' e-newsletter. There are stated to be 383,805 unique visitors - monthly - to the forum's host website skiclub.co.uk.

The Ski Club of Great Britain now has an 8-strong in-house communications team, so it'll be interesting to see what - if any - moves are made to boost this area of the Club's activity.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, just for comparisons; this still seems to be more posts than natives are getting since their change in ownership (the most frequenter poster there seems to be a discount kitchen installer...) and they claim to have "access to over 46.000 jobseekers".

Perhaps I'm just trying to say that membership/visitor stats are dangly bits?
ski holidays
albinomountainbadger, I had been celebrating the fact that this thread seemed to be sliding into a moribund state, in the absence of any constructive suggestions from CG. Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry, DT68!
latest report
albinomountainbadger, wow Natives has dived downhill. What's WTFH doing these days - just Barking Bear forums? I agree with you on stats being mostly damn lies.

DT68, CG is not known for replying to questions. He is however very good at posing them. And adding historical background. With the occasional complete OT item lobbed in for fun. wink Suggest you go back to sleep.
snow report
Dubaian wrote:
albinomountainbadger, wow Natives has dived downhill. What's WTFH doing these days - just Barking Bear forums? I agree with you on stats being mostly damn lies.

I couldn't say really, I don't 'know' him beyond natives. He did start posting a lot less frequently over the past year or so, long before the rot set in after Iain Martin sold it. He used to talk about EpicSki a lot, perhaps find him there?
latest report
Dubaian wrote:
What's WTFH doing these days

SCGB rep.

For Belfast.
snow conditions
albinomountainbadger, it's all your fault.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
5 March: 8 posts
One every three hours. The Wayneo'gate thread on here was must've been getting 8 posts every minute.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
The Ski Club of Great Britain now has an 8-strong in-house communications team, so it'll be interesting to see what - if any - moves are made to boost this area of the Club's activity.

What do you suggest, CG? I am all ears ... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
DT68, then you need the Ear club of Great Britain.

8 marketing bods seems a bit top heavy to me.
ski holidays
DT68, alright, alright ... frankly, the SCGB has promised the very essential things it hasn't delivered (yet): personal member2member messaging (promised as delivered a month ago), and the website being a focus of ski news (I think we ascertained that commitment was made in 2006). You need catalytic content to generate discussion, as we've seen on snowHeads ... and was already proven on the SCGB forum back in 2002-4.

But it's really not for me to come up with the answers. There's a team of 20-30 people paid to achieve this, plus the board.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 6-03-13 15:10; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Bode Swiller,

One to "market" and seven to ski "all expenses paid"?
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
...But it's really not for me to come up with the answers. There's a team of 20-30 people paid to achieve this, plus the board.

Crikey. snowHeads Towers is clearly going to have to expend its badminstrative team to compete.
snow conditions
[quote="achilles"]
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Crikey. snowHeads Towers is clearly going to have to expend its badminstrative team to compete.

How should they be expended? By firing ...? wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy