Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendation for first time child skier during Feb half-term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I'm wanting to take my 8 year old nephew skiing for the first time during the Feb half-term. I'm intermediate level (comfortable on most reds and easy blacks) and wanted somewhere I could have fun in the mornings whilst he goes to ski school and then we could ski together in the afternoons.

Other important considerations:
- Ideally quiet, and certainly not overcrowded slopes (despite Feb half-term)
- Reasonable English spoken at the ski school for my nephew to progress
- Preferably fast lifts and not many drags

Obviously, other factors such as scenery, cost, transfer time come into it too, but would be less important.

My shortlist thus far was:
- Passo Tonale (mainly for cost, but with concerns about level of English),
- La Clusaz (for being less well known and having varied area, but concerns about number of drags and half-term crowding),
- Flaine (for huge varied area and good schools, but again concerns about how busy it might get)
- Saas Fee (for beauty and long beginner runs but possible downsides being cost and number of drags)

Any comments on the above, or other recommendations, would be really welcome.

Regards,

Suggul
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
About five years ago, we did the same things - brought our nieces who were around 9 & 11 years to Ortisei, Val Gardena. The day-oners begin ski school in the village, so very convenient. They then progress to Alpe di Siusi. Highly recomended!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
suggul, Folgarida/Marileva could be an option - I've not been at half term but, other than that, on two trips I've never queued.

Good lifts, very few drags, great sense of travel if you are out on your own and some nice, fun tree-lined runs to do with your Nephew - beginner greens, easy/wide tracks and several really quite easy blues.

Transfers no more than 2.5 hours, inexpensive mountainside restaurants, great scenery.

Plenty of English-speaking instructors - one of whom regularly posts here...Wayne. You could PM him as he also runs a ski holiday company to the area. I used them once - no complaints at all. No idea if they have any availability (they do tend to get booked up early), but he may be able to suggest something.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
suggul, 1st bit of advice is to do Easter instead of half term. Pila has good ski school and North facing slopes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cervinia. It's not France so won't be as crowded (but not sure how crowded at half term). Lots of really nice gentle wide runs so a beginner won't feel they're going up and down the same few 100m of piste all week. Good English spoken at the ski school. Lifts galore, only a couple of drags and I don't think they're places that too many 1st week skiers will be going to.

You could easily do Cervinia at Easter too as Frosty the Snowman, suggests. Will be quieter than half term, but Cervinia is very high so snow should be good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Consensus seems to be Italy. Think I'll go with that. Went to Cervinia this year, so will look at the Folgarida option as well as Passo Tonale and maybe La Thuile.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
suggul, good luck. For what its worth, I would absolutely recommend Folgarida over both Passo Tonale and La Thuile, having skied all three.....especially Passo Tonale.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy