Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SportsDirect to expand skiwear dept hugely

Poster: A snowHead
All for it if it means toon get to spend the profits on a better team Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sports Direct is useful for clothes and shoes you don't mind getting trashed.
I find the only shoes comfy on my messed up feet are the skate shoe style ones and the rate I wear through shoes, even ones that are stupidly expensive, means it's cheaper to buy skate shoes there, or TK Maxx. I also get swimming costumes from there as they have decent cheap ones and I am very good at losing mine, for some reason.

I will happily admit SD is full of horrible little unemployed lazy fecks that don't properly partake in any sport, and just want comfy clothing to sit around in watching Sky, drinking booze bought with benefits etc, and the staff can vary wildly from semi-interested to lazy little pieces of poo, however, SD is also great when it comes to getting affordable kit for kids, and some adult stuff. The layout is absolutely feckin horrible and definitely not Disability Act compliant, I can understand WHY people slag the store off, but please do not be snobby and dump everyone that may buy stuff there into the same basket. Everyone has a right to do sports, not just people who can come out of Ellis Brigham with enough cash to spare for a house.

I HATE snobbery. I come from a v poor family and we all worked hard to let me do the sports I love and are good for me, whereas people with lots of money never need to struggle and take it for granted, and for a lot of them it shows from their sh*tty attitudes.

Gonna climb down off my soapbox now, I am glad SD are doing ski gear, if it means more kids getting the opportunity to experience the only healthy kick/high of adrenaline from extreme sports instead of drugs on street corners I am all for it. SD need to sort their staff and layout. But I guess ramming so much stuff in the store is part of their money saving tactics.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pauly69,

You mean buy Johnnie Wilkinson back?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
crazy_skier_jules wrote:
I HATE snobbery. I come from a v poor family and we all worked hard to let me do the sports I love and are good for me, whereas people with lots of money never need to struggle and take it for granted, and for a lot of them it shows from their sh*tty attitudes.

I was thinking that I'm hijacking this thread a bit but that happened pages ago.

I come from a very poor family too. We had so little money there were occasions people left food anonymously on our doorstep and I rarely had new clothes; it was always second or third hand. Doing any kind of sport that involved even the most meagre expenditure was just not an option. I'm sure my folks really sacrificed so we could have any kind of Christmas

HOWEVER I have worked bloody hard all my life and continue to do so; 11 hour days are normal (plus 3 hours travelling a day). I now have a very good job that pays well and I can afford things that I would never have conceived as a child including nice ski holidays. I get really f****ed off by comments about people who have lots of money. Don't ever assume someone who has lots of money doesn't know what it's like to live well below the poverty line. I'm still very careful with my money and hate waste but it's nice to be able to spoil yourself when you want. I hate snobs too but you can be poor and still be a snob.

EDIT: Oh and being poor and coming from a council estate doesn't mean you have to suspend morals, manners, being law abiding and standards of behaviour. That's not an excuse.

/end of rant
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dsoutar, That maybe so, but the comment made bycrazy_skier_jules, perhaps may not have been made if it wasn't for the said 'sh*tty attitudes' being openly stated in the first place.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sequoiaboard, zellmaniac,

Living in Taunton as well and been into SD here a few times. It does result in a bit of a shudder whenever I walk in, mostly at having to navigate the maze upstairs, but having said that I have periodically bought golf consumables there and had no problem with it (by consumables I mean gloves and balls which I seem to go through a ton of).

I did notice the other day that it appeared to have a 'liquidation sale' sign up, no idea what is going on there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hacel, Our local store had a Liquidation Sale sign up too, with a hand-written sign underneath it reassuring that SD isn't in liquidation, but is disposing of liquidation stock they've bought up. Confusing, yes. Classy, ever so.
Poundland do the same thing - thats how they sometimes have really weird specials...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hacel,sequoiaboard,

I can see a Taunton thread starting soon!! - Unfortunately not too many slopes here!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways,

Thanks, that would explain it. I'll have a closer look at the sign when I pass tonight to see if they've done the same.

zellmaniac,

Indeed to both! Some of the hills nearby do look sorely tempting on the rare occasions they are covered in snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
albob wrote:
am i right in thinking that they also own the 'Nevica' name ?? - the brand that 'everyone' wore in the 80's Wink

what do you meen used to wear . still got a nevica jacket . might have to give it an outing in feb Very Happy . and , yes they do own nevica.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
crazy_skier_jules wrote:

I'm sorry if I offended you by calling SD "The Chav shop" in my original post. That really was just an observation based on the dress sense of the usual customers that frequent SD in my local town, Taunton. I do buy stuff there because it's a bargain. I also have to take a couple of deep breaths before venturing in. The first time I took my wife and family skiing they all wore No Fear kit from SD.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 21-12-12 9:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^ Sorry if that sounded like a rant.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Sports Direct to enter ski market

Discount sportswear shop Sports Direct has made a move to enter the snowsports sector. The company recently announced that it is aiming to capture 20% of the UK market within the next three years.
This announcement came after Sports Direct purchased discounted ski wear and snowsports equipment stores and sites. They bought The Ski Warehouse and skiwear4less .com, which operates four stores.

Sports Direct is valued at £1.8bn and they will soon be putting skiwear4less shops inside their existing Sports Direct stores. They will aim to capture one fifth of the UK retail Market by 2015/16.
The http://www.skiwear4less.com/ website will be closing down as of 3rd March 2014 - presumably because as of next year they'll be putting everything under the Sports Direct banner and using that website. While there's perhaps not the greatest range, everything they have on the site is currently 50% off the listed prices (add it to your basket and the 50% off comes off automatically - no code needed). There are a few decent bits of Eider, 8848 Altitude, etc which with the discount might be worth checking out.

In particular for anyone into racing there are some good race gear bargains to be had e.g. Junior catsuit for £62.49, adult (or would fit larger junior) size catsuits for £99.99, training shorts/softshell jackets, protection, coach's storm jackets, full zip pants, etc. Link to all race gear http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Race_Gear.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
More snobbery on this thread than the Henley Regatta..................
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Okanagan wrote:
Quote:
Sports Direct to enter ski market

Discount sportswear shop Sports Direct has made a move to enter the snowsports sector. The company recently announced that it is aiming to capture 20% of the UK market within the next three years.
This announcement came after Sports Direct purchased discounted ski wear and snowsports equipment stores and sites. They bought The Ski Warehouse and skiwear4less .com, which operates four stores.

Sports Direct is valued at £1.8bn and they will soon be putting skiwear4less shops inside their existing Sports Direct stores. They will aim to capture one fifth of the UK retail Market by 2015/16.
The http://www.skiwear4less.com/ website will be closing down as of 3rd March 2014 - presumably because as of next year they'll be putting everything under the Sports Direct banner and using that website. While there's perhaps not the greatest range, everything they have on the site is currently 50% off the listed prices (add it to your basket and the 50% off comes off automatically - no code needed). There are a few decent bits of Eider, 8848 Altitude, etc which with the discount might be worth checking out.

In particular for anyone into racing there are some good race gear bargains to be had e.g. Junior catsuit for £62.49, adult (or would fit larger junior) size catsuits for £99.99, training shorts/softshell jackets, protection, coach's storm jackets, full zip pants, etc. Link to all race gear http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Race_Gear.html

I went to the Tamworth store yesterday and discovered this, bit peeved about it tbh because they offer a fantastic service on ski / board servicing.

Whilst in there I bought a west beach jacket (24 quid) and trousers (26 quid). Whilst the jacket is last seasons who cares at that those prices, perfect clothing in normal circumstances but handy for me because I get 'told off' when I go messing around on the parks and always end up damaging my clothes due to stupidity!
snow conditions
Looks like theres not much left on the website, wanted some bindings but they dont seem to have any unless you buy the skis too
ski holidays
The shop wasnt too healthy on stock either, very limited sizes in all brands of jackets / trousers, about 20 sets of skis, few ski boots.
snow report
I am not a big fan of SD, but it serves a purpose. I get the basics at sensible prices (kids clothes, trainers, the odd golf glove, t shirts etc.)

They will probably expand their existing range of Campri, Hot Tuna and Nevica. There is a market for low cost ski gear for people who want to get started or simply want cheap stuff.

I personally bought stuff on the cheap when I first started. This year I have upgraded my ski gear and researched everything to get quality and value for money. However, I am sure many of you experts would still think my new stuff is just average. I am not spending £400 on a jacket! Smile
snow conditions
I saw Mike Ashley in Verbier at the weekend.

He was wearing a well worn KArimor shell and not new Nevica trousers.

Good for him.

I know people who do, or did, work for him and have come into contact with him.
They all say he is a good bloke, tough in business and nice in person to anybody he comes into contact with.
snow report
I hate spending a lot of money on ski kit, I get bored with it and want something new every couple of years. I am happy to buy in sales or from TK Maxx. It doesn't need to be this season, just new to me.
snow report
I suspect that a bit of heating up the average standard ski boot liner is a gimmick and achieves no more than the first few days of wearing would.
snow report
SD is excellent for casual shoes. I've got some ludicrous DCs from there, with lime green detail and bright orange laces. I look like a complete arseclown. £35. Brilliant.
snow conditions
Okanagan wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up, just picked up a lovely Eider jacket for £150.
snow conditions
Jesus...we've taken this place up to Snobcom 5.

I buy all my football stuff and all my Under Armour stuff from Sports Direct.....Snow+Rock and Ellis Brigham are so ridiculously priced I buy everything else from either the North Face, Quiksilver,Tog 24 or in the actual resort.
latest report
I buy tennis balls and tennis clothing from them. They practically give them away. Excellent value.
latest report
I hate snobbery, but I can't see Sports Direct adding much to the ski market because the quality of their own brand stuff is so low.

For cycling and running, Karrimor gear fits less well, wears less well and performs less well than other discount gear. It uses low quality fabrics, the stitching often comes undone and essentials like key pockets are relarely present. Waterproofs generally aren't and nothing breathes properly.

By contrast, discount stuff from Aldi, Lidl and Decathlon often outperforms expensive branded gear. If you want cheap-and many of us do-choose your shop well.

My personal port of call for snow gear is the McArthur Glen discount outlet in Bridgend - more choice than most city centres and a wide range of brands at all price points, generally with a reassuring level of discount.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy