Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

helmet hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just bought the kids a helmet each. One weeks hire in Hasliberg looked like being about £20 each. A new helmet from Lidl was £14. A very nice thing (not that I'm an expert) with adjustments, padding, closeable vents etc etc. Even better than the one I don't really want to wear. Why would anybody ever hire one, or is that part of the conspiracy?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We used to hire a helmet for our daughter. It's a reasonable thing to do when you're new to skiing and you don't know if the little ones are going to take to it. However we decided to buy one when she was around 8. Over the past 5 years the amount of padding inside has steadily reduced from using ALL pads, to progressively thinner pads. Each year we have a refitting session to account for the change in her head size.

The really good thing about owning a helmet, is that you can "customize" it to suit tastes... and that becomes a more and more important part of ensuring it gets worn as the child gets older. (Current style is a dragon's tail cover).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

It's a reasonable thing to do when you're new to skiing

Not when it's £20 to hire and only £14 to buy, especially since you can sell the helmet on if your anklebiter hates skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Who would:

1. Hire a helmet; or

2. Buy a second-hand helmet?

These things are prone to be useless if they've ever been dropped. If you can be bothered to wear one, why on earth would you use one that you don't know where it's been?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jamescollings wrote:
We used to hire a helmet for our daughter. It's a reasonable thing to do when you're new to skiing and you don't know if the little ones are going to take to it. However we decided to buy one when she was around 8. Over the past 5 years the amount of padding inside has steadily reduced from using ALL pads, to progressively thinner pads. Each year we have a refitting session to account for the change in her head size.

Same here James, daughter number1 had an odd shaped head, and many helmets left too big a gap between googles and the bottom edge of the helmet. The cebe she chose cost a fortune in chf back in 2005... but she is still wearing it now. Daughter number2 has been through a few helmets, they allways fit perfect, so we do the bad parent "this is best" on the cheapest each time Embarassed Laughing

Oddly though it seems with parents I've chatted too, getting a perfect boot fit is a "must have" yet any old helmet will do hanging off the back of the child's head.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was quite impressed with the quality of the Lidl helmets that Mrs M sourced. Good solid polycarbonate shells, good level of padding, sophisticated looking size adjustment and closeable vents for cold weather. Anybody looking for kids helmets could do a lot worse.

http://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-4E13AB19-60912721/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_36002.htm?offerdate=7510&ERR=noservice
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
James the Last wrote:

These things are prone to be useless if they've ever been dropped.

Huh?

You're confusing ski helmets with bike helmets! They're constructed differently. Dropping a ski helmets won't hurt it the least bit. Well, unlee you drop it from the roof top of a 2nd story building!

Quote:
If you can be bothered to wear one, why on earth would you use one that you don't know where it's been?

You can inspect it and see if it's still in good shape or not.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The last two times I have booked ski, boots and helmets to hire for the girls, the hire cost has remained to the same even when I have ticked the box for the helmets. It definitely did not Increase the hire cost by £20. It appeared to be free when hiring kids skis and boots to me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First time I went skiing, didn't have my own boots so hitred - the thought that someone's feet had been in there before mine was bad enough, but can you imagine hiring a helmet? Someone's sweaty manky hair and lord knows what else lurking in there...I feel sick

Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ,

A quick flick through an Inghams brochure seems to indicate wildly different policies between countries.

Austria - the average price is about £15 with some resorts being free.
Andorra, Switzerland, USA & France - helmets are not mentioned in the hire sections.
Italy - Kids helmets provided free.
Canada - everywhere different, from free to £35
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy