Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heavier skis? Are these?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I think I ski better on heavier skis. Salomon XT 800's twice last season, Cham 97's recently.

I have skied 30 years now, all sorts and all sorts.

I loved Movement Flames ?6 years ago. Not so much the Jam. Zips 2 years ago were great and fun in spring snow off piste and on. I ski whatever the conditions, don't like ice as it is no fun, but want a ski that can hold an edge. But have the most fun and will find that fun whatever. Mostly europe.

I try to get off the piste as much as possible, even if its only mucking around at the edges/under the lifts (what can possibly go wrong??) and am looking to buy skis again as I mange to get 3-4 weeks per year.

So to the question...are Line Prophet 90's powerful enough? They review as fun and capable. How about the Kendo's? I have searched on here, and guess there is no real answer except to buy and enjoy.
Jack
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

what can possibly go wrong??

that is an ironic question, isn't it?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And no
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jackio, It won't really help you as I've never used the Prophet so can't give you a comparison but I have Kendos and never think to myself "hmm these don't seem powerful enough". They are a great all round ski, easy to cruise or drive on piste yet far more capable off piste than I am (in that they allow me to look almost capable). Im 6'2" and north of 110kg.

But I am one of the people who always says - buy the one you like best (in terms of price, graphics or "kudos") - you'll probably never ski the ones you were considering as an alternative so you'll never know what you missed and by the time you come to replace them things will have moved on and you will desire something else anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jackio, dont know about the Lines, but Völkl skis are generally on the heavy side and are great for smashing through all sorts of European snow (but probably not the right thing for the Japanese champagne). I currently own a pair of Mantras. Can only recommend! I guess the Kendo is slightly more piste biased, at 88 underfoot, but I would definitely go for it.
As far as buying and enjoying is concerned, maybe you can hire some in resort to try out first?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jackio, i have Mantras but had to try a pair of Kendos in very rough mid season hp (mostly re-frozen ruts) as I'd forgotten where my Mantras were.

The Kendos were quite capable, clearly more piste oriented, but I think the Mantras would have coped better and are not any more limiting on piste.

+1 Mantras.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jackio, Just whack some Marker Barons on whatever you buy problem solved.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think stiffness is probably more important - interesting you like Movement Flames - Movement tend to be powerful, stiffish and not that heavy (not flimsy neither apart from their proper rando-type tourers), so anything from their "freeski" range should grab you like the flames did
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Movement tend to be powerful, stiffish

Not planky then
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jackio, Sanglard in Chamonix had Kendos to rent last season. For sure.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cynic, maybe if you aint heavy enough, guess I'm lucky in that regard Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jackio, If you liked the Movement Flames (I had a pair one season) then I'm surprised you like the Sally XT's. Chalk and cheese. The Salomon's I've found tend to be softer in both front and rear, a bit "slappy-happy" at speed, and thus not really holding the same sort of edges that the Flames could. Having said that I also found the Flames to be a bit "dead" at medium speeds.

Had you looked at the Nordica Doberman or Speedmachine's?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do wonder about this, I know DB is after some lightweight skis for touring and with carbon fibre and better technology skis are getting lighter and better controlled all the time and I use light telebindings but I have had some real hernia inducers clipped to my feet and while it was dead easy to smash through crud and lumpy snow my skiing didn't really improve until I learned to keep my legs 'soft' and not stiff leg my skis through the crap and that's when my carving became truly clean and flowing also gave me much better control in all my sliding. Yes it's much more fatiguing on a long pitch but if you learn to use your boots rather than your ankles/toes it gets easier. But back to heavy/light skis, you can't really muscle then through stuff, they have to be ridden with compliance in your legs or they just bounce and judder. So I have to ask is the OP wanting heavy skis just because he doesn't ride them in a way that makes lighter skis work?

Works even better on a snowboard Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi thanks for the replies. There is no real answer is there?
I found movements light. And thought that was what I wanted for jumping and manoeuvrability. But I have had such fun on heavier skis these last 2 seasons.
I will either just buy some and hope (guided hope with all your advice) or hire a few in the resort.
Going to search for Mantra reviews, also the Nordicas mentioned.
Bw J
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy