Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Record-breaking snowstorm sweeps Mount Washington ...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
... which is in New Hampshire, USA - 'the Northeast's tallest peak' at 6288ft.

Thanks to the weather observatory up there, amazing photos are being posted on the web.

34 inches of snow fell between Saturday and Monday, with drifts up to 12 feet, according to this report from The Associated Press.

Go to Mount Washington's website for the latest: http://www.mountwashington.org
Scroll down to the hyperlinked photos in the report from Jim Salge. They're getting pretty excited up there. It seems the snow came down very wet and very wind driven:
Here's one of the shots.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
P.S. The weather guys on that mountain claim that it's 'home of the world's worst weather'. This is one of their statistics:
Quote:
Highest wind (world record, April 12, 1934): 231 MPH
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did they have the equipment then/now to measure those sorts of speeds? That sounds like one mighty wind to me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should think that anemometers were pretty accurate by 1934, but wouldn't claim to know - do we have an expert on this?

As a comparison, the highest wind speed ever recorded in the UK was on my 'home' ski mountain Cairngorm (which has an automatic weather station) on 20 March 1986: 173mph. I can't imagine this was enough to stop a few skiers playing around in the Coire Cas.

The Met Office has more on nice Scottish weather like this.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't know that it's the world's worst weather but it's a very interesting micro climate that's subject to some very wild weather. August is often the only snow free month and I've heard that some years there has been snow throughout the summer. FWIW, there's a large bowl called Tuckerman's Ravine which lots of folks hike to and ski in late spring. It has high avalanche risk much of the year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy