Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

uppermost ski???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HI Guys,

I have been on 3 ski trips in total and can Parallel ski. I’ve never really thought about technique but can ski reds and have done a few blacks (don’t really enjoy then though!)

My friend who is a beginner sent me this he read on a website on how to turn:

“Start to put your weight through the uppermost ski to initiate the turn. Dig the inside edge in to get some purchase on the snow.”

I might be confused on what the uppermost ski is, but when I have had lessons I have been taught that if turning to the right for example, most of your weight should be on the outside ski. so if turning to the right, then the weight should be on your left leg???

To me the uppermost ski in this case would be the right leg? Which seems to go against what I was taught (and do now)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sambo, yes, you're right - outside ski. However, the ski that will become the outside ski when you are turning right (i.e. your left) will also be the uppermost as you go into the turn - getting the weight onto that ski earlier in the turn is probably what that website is talking about.

However, it's much better to learn to ski from an instructor, not a website; there are some truly rubbish websites out there. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes and if you are turning right you must be currently travelling in a right-to-left traverse, so your left leg is uppermost at the initiaition of the turn AND outside as it becomes an actual turn.

See?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Uphill (uppermost) ski and downhill ski are rarely useful terms as they are ripe for confusion. You are right to talk about outside and inside skis as they are absolute terms which don't change as you go around the turn.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is the same ski just different ways of describing it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One of the drills for carving skiing is traversing across the slope on the uphill ski, it is quite a bit harder than doing so on the downhill ski. The terms "uphill ski" "downhill ski" are pretty standard.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quick responses... i'm impressed with this site!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
One of the drills for carving skiing is traversing across the slope on the uphill ski, it is quite a bit harder than doing so on the downhill ski. The terms "uphill ski" "downhill ski" are pretty standard.
indeed, and that's the only time uphill and downhill make sense to me. When I ask my clients to do that drill, or a variant of it, I normally apologise for changing my terminology, as I did last week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

One of the drills for carving skiing is traversing across the slope on the uphill ski, it is quite a bit harder than doing so on the downhill ski.

but then you are on your top edge, which doesn't seem to be what the website excerpt in the OP is on about.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy