Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Popping the big question

Poster: A snowHead
So, that time has finally come. We're off to Courchevel on Saturday and I'm planning to propose to my girlfriend while we're out there. Assuming she says yes, we are then heading up to Antwerp to purchase the rock & ring.

So, that's the plan, but any advice? I'm thinking that the Folyeres or Chapellets runs would be quite a nice place (Chapallets especially, since it's not far from our apartment in 1650 - not as far to lug the champagne!)

Also, has anyone any experience of buying diamonds in Antwerp? The brokers/dealers out there seem very helpful and legitimate (everything they're selling is certificated, so should be kosher). The prices in Antwerp are a LOT lower (not far off half the retail price here) than here, which means she can get a bigger rock! Have done my research on the 4Cs and artifically-enhanced stones (avoid) so am hopefully going in there armed with just enough knowledge.

Would obviously prefer to be able to walk into Tiffany's and purchase whatever takes her fancy, but that is somewhat beyond my budget!

Anyway, any comments/advice/thoughts before we head off for snow and (hopefully) romance?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good luck. As you may remember from the other site, I proposed at the foot of the Folyeres, although to be fair it was midnight at New Year and we'd just spilled out of the Pub to sing Auld Lang Syne. Happy memories
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nbt, ah that was you?! I remember someone proposing in Courchevel, but that was before you used your pseudonym!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great news. What an exciting mission! Hope it goes brilliantly.

Just a couple of tips. Take your goggles off when you make the proposal, and say it in French.

How do you get on a bended knee with skis on? I trust you've worked that out.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aahh, so there are some true romantics out there. How wonderful. I wish my other half would think this way!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

How do you get on a bended knee with skis on? I trust you've worked that out.

Another advantage of telemarking, perhaps?

Good luck masopa!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You beat me to it Ian! Best wishes masopa - by the way, there are some good eateries in Antwerp. Can't help on the diamonds though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, Good tip - I would have probably forgotten that (to take the goggles off, that is). So, how do you say it in French??

Not sure I'll be learning how to telemark that - planning to hit the couloirs in the early afternoon then pop the question afterwards...

Never been to Antwerp before (Brussels and Mechelen plenty of times) - looking foward to it!!

Thanks everyone - fingers (not skis) crossed!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good luck masopa! Wish there were more guys like you out there.....don't forget to tell us ALL about it Very Happy Have no advice whatsoever on diamonds but I'm sure you'll be able to find a nice ring

Ah, that's made my day snowHead I'm going to have a big snowheads grin on my face all afternoon
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't know how you say it in French. I proposed in West Hampstead.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
masopa, will she ski the couloirs with U?

If so, there's a beautiful 'bowl' just down from the top of the Grand couloir. It would be perfect - both grand and in a way, cosy, accessable but secluded.

That is: accessable if she'll do that ridge leading to it Shocked

good luck.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
will you marry me =
veux-tu m'épouser?

or more formally, voulez-vous, m'épouser
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Brilliant, and no hint of a Stockport accent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, you're not my type snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith wrote:
Brilliant, and no hint of a Stockport accent.

I should hope not, I only live here, I'm from Wigan!
ski holidays
masopa, good luck, she'll certainly know she's been tangoed Laughing

Why not take the ring with you for that "open box and pleading look" moment?

It'll be far more romantic than my proposal; on a footbridge over the canal in Huddersfield. Little Angel
ski holidays
Should't this thread be in the "Bend Ze Knees" section? Very Happy
latest report
masopa, have a wonderful time Very Happy , best of luck and let's hope CONGRATULATIONS are on the cards for your return!
snow conditions
Hope it all goes well masopa
snow conditions
Thanks again everyone! Feels like a right little community here!!

marc gledhill, LOL! Very good. As for taking the ring with me, she had let it be known in no uncertain terms that she wants to pick the ring! Will have to use a "blank" on the slopes (also prevents any unfortunate incident of losing it in the snow!)

nbt, thanks for the French. Will be using that!

u brain, definitely no chance of skiing the couloir with her - she's a nervous blue/green skier!
latest report
Pronunciation guide:

Ver-too may-poo-zay

voo-lay voo may-poo-zay
latest report
nbt, Still, wouldn't recommend saying it that way in the hearing of a French person... the giggles might spoil the moment!

masopa, Best of British! With luck you'll get this reaction.....
snow conditions
If it's a nice day, wear a beret but leave out the onions and Gauloise
ski holidays
PG, I actually speak French fluently (at least when piseed -0 it;s ten years since I lived there) but that's as accurate as you'll get without going into phonetic transcriptions Smile
ski holidays
Masopa...how fantastic!

Folyeres would be my choice...just back from 1850, skied Folyeres on Saturday and it was magical...snowing but ok vis and had the run to ourselves..on the Gros Murger drag back up I was just grinning.. it was so quiet and beautiful.

So I'd say go for the trees! The snow is superb at the mo..have a wonderful time Very Happy
latest report
nbt, Realised that! I just had this vision of someone using phonetic French syllable by syllable to pop the question! Reminds me of a rather naughty trick I once played on a non-French speaker friend who was in France for the first time. Primed him to ask the girl who I'd arranged to collect him from the station where in town the apartment he was staying in was. Or at least, that's what he thought he was asking her........ Very Happy
snow report
Lol!
ski holidays
Tried something myself, in the Netherlands though, not the slopes.

Slight problem in getting her to pick the ring though, as it came as a total shock to her and she was too 'dizzy' for the next 2 days to be able to pick a ring, she waited until she got home and settled her nerves a bit.

Good luck
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wow. what about starting a poll, masopa, so we can vote on whether we think she'll say yes... Wink
latest report
I proposed (and was accepted) in Zell am See. Masopa, it makes for a great occassion, enjoy it and remember it well. Good choice, diamonds from Antwerp, much more style than Tiffany's.

Mine was an impulse proposal, so the ring conundrum didn't come into it.

Good luck.
snow conditions
Don't want to put a 'dampener' on things, but it might be worth waiting til next Tuesday, the sun's not due to put in an appearance until then, and over the weekend it's touch and go whether you'll see snow or rain at 1800m..... Sad
ski holidays
She'd be mad not to say "yes" snowHead
ski holidays
Masopa , good luck hope it goes well. I'm sure you will keep us posted. Not much experience of buying rings in Antwerp ~ I did buy one in Reading though. Getting diamonds from Antwerp makes me think of Del and Rodney, hope you have better luck than they did.
snow conditions
Ahhh. Well now, in my deep an distant past i too was propsed to,and bought ring for,in Antwerp. (OK, he lived there!). Great choice for a good price. Lots of luck and happy shoppping. Smile
ski holidays
Good Luck Masopa, have a great time.
latest report
Masopa....good luck. I was wisked to Paris for my suprise and I still remember it Very Happy ....happy days! Why not reserve a lunch table in one of the best mountain restaurants, by a log fire, that way you won't have to worry about the weather or trying for bended knees in ski boots! You can cuddle up there all afternoon....forget the skiing just for a while.
snow conditions
If it's dodgy weather this weekend I'd suggest the Bergeries at 1850. Nice place and friendly staff. It's got that romantic log cabin style and champers is only around €2000 a bottle... Wink
latest report
homphomp wrote:
....forget the skiing just for a while.

Woooaah, it's starting to get silly. Lets get our priorities right please. Laughing
latest report
Mountain restaurant though, not a bad idea. OK ladies which is more romantic; the stunning panorama of the Alpine massive, or a roaring log fire in a mountain cabin?

For me outside. But I know I'm crap at this sort of thing.
latest report
Of course what you really want is a log fire and a big window to get the view Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy