Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you think of the Solamon Quest Max 120 boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, I bought some new solamon boots about 3 years ago, they felt slightly tight at the time of purchase but i was told they would break in and fit my feet perfectly.
Its a few years later now and I am 90% sure my feet are just too big for them, I find it quite painful to wear sometimes. The worst problem is that if my feet are aching, they wont stop aching until I take them off, even if i sit down. I guess this means they are squashing my feet too much? I am not so sure.

Anyway I want to buy some new boots after xmas as I am going to Tignes for a week and couldnt bare wearing something uncomfortable for so long.

What do you guys think of the Solamon Quest Max 120 boots? They look really comfy and I like the walking mode idea, i know its been rubbish in the past but maybe they are more advanced now?

One thing, I have VERY broad feet, do you guys know if these boots should accommodate for that when molding, or will i need to go for a bigger sized boot?

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
without seeing your feet impossible to say if they will fit, the new generation quest are a great boot IF THEY FIT but that is a discussion for you and your fitter, they have changed dramatically in terms of both sahpe and stance since the older models of boot form Salomon.... you should NOT be going up a size to accommodate a wider foot, have the boot stretched the accommodate the wider foot
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The boots are massive to size, and can be made to fit practially any foot, except the waffer thin ones, but for god's sake, go to a proper bootfitter that sells many of these hybrid boots and have your feet and needs assessed!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe you can wait till you are in Tignes and go see a bootfitter there? You don't know how boots will feel until you ski in them, and some boots are just wrong for certain foot shapes, so what looks comfortable on paper can bring about a nightmare on slopes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm, well I want to get them early so I can break them in a bit at xscape leeds. I dont want to get them last minute at tignes Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sainter wrote:
Hmmm, well I want to get them early so I can break them in a bit at xscape leeds. I dont want to get them last minute at tignes Sad

Hmmmm; Im pretty certain that proper bootfitting eliminates the old concept of 'breaking in' boots. You still have to use AT and tele boots to soften the bellows but alpine boots if sized and fitted properly should feel good and consistent from virtually first use. Yes there'll be some compaction but that should just be a matter of buckle adjustment. CEM will tell me if I'm spouting out ma pooper wink
snow report
 cran
cran
I have wide feet (102) and I have the Salomon 120 X-max which I think is a similar shell, and has same liners.

They fitted fine in the shop (tight but not painful).

The first day on the slope, in the cold, they were very very tight and painful (apart from the skiing when they felt really good), the second day they were just tight, the third day they are still a struggle to get on and off but a perfect fit and clamp my foot solid without hurting.

I did think on the first day that I might have gone too small, but by the end of the third day they are spot on.

So in answer to your question if it is the same shell mould as the X-max then the quest should be good for a wide foot (width 98 and expandable to 104).

Masque, Mine definitely needed a few days breaking in to be comfortable. However I didn't have them heat moulded as the fit was good (tight but no pressure points) off the shelf and I don't see any point in heat expanding the shell unnecessarily, so that might have made a difference to breaking in and I think the liner will still take a few days to fully adapt to your foot even if you heat fit the boots.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque wrote:
Sainter wrote:

Hmmmm; Im pretty certain that proper bootfitting eliminates the old concept of 'breaking in' boots. You still have to use AT and tele boots to soften the bellows but alpine boots if sized and fitted properly should feel good and consistent from virtually first use. Yes there'll be some compaction but that should just be a matter of buckle adjustment. CEM will tell me if I'm spouting out ma pooper wink

you are, still needs a few days for a liner to bed in, some people just get lucky
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, I've been a very lucky bunny then . . . or p'raps some bootfitters are better than others wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, all depends on the foot, the boot, the fitness, the technique and the tolerance to compression/fit
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM, Dang! I must be a ski god! . . . albeit with completely insensitive feet . . . Na, I'm a gift to the hill wink But seriously, apart from my Technicas which were lovely tight slippers out of the box, your services have my feet's blessing. Cheers Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy