Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski equipment insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, I'm still pondering THE question (buying skis, for those unfamiliar with my FANTASTIC buying skis post), but have to decide soon to get for next trip. I may just toss a coin. :-S

In the meantime, whichever I get, I'll need them insured. Would they be automatically covered in my home insurance, or do I have to declare separately? I suppose I should be getting a particular lock, anything else?

... is it possible to label skis without making them look crap, in case someone else has a similar pair?

Anything else I should consider?

Oh, and hello!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OliviaDB, Get a black marker pen like the pros and write your name on them inch high letters in nice hand writing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cynic wrote:
OliviaDB, Get a black marker pen like the pros and write your name on them inch high letters in nice hand writing.

Good point/idea. That's part two dealt with. Thank you. (I honestly didn't consider that, I has the dumb.)
... anyone with good handwriting want to lend a hand?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OliviaDB,

What you really need is to do is plaster them in snowHeads stickers. I'm sure Masque will buy you some for Christmas wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

is it possible to label skis without making them look crap

Think carefully before followingmusher, s suggestion
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When you're having lunch or drinking, split your skis with a friend and keep them well apart. I've never locked my skis and (I'm touching wood) never lost a pair by doing this. Insurance is def a good idea though in case one breaks or is lost off piste.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jakejenks wrote:
When you're having lunch or drinking, split your skis with a friend and keep them well apart. I've never locked my skis and (I'm touching wood) never lost a pair by doing this. Insurance is def a good idea though in case one breaks or is lost off piste.

I do this, even with rentals. I've had poles nicked, though. That was ... tedious.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cynic wrote:
Quote:

is it possible to label skis without making them look crap

Think carefully before followingmusher, s suggestion

Heh. Indeed.

Not that I don't LOVE the snowheads logo, but ... ... ...

So - anyone know if I need to get insurance separate from house and contents? (What? I'm going to have to do some research for myself? Actually CALL my insurance company? Oh. Sigh. FINE! wink )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Covered on my ski/travel insurance but only if forcibly removed. I'll happily take the insurer to court if they deem that cutting a cable lock is not "forcibly" removing them.
Have an issue with skis (and bikes too) in rather than on car. In the car is deemed to be inciting theft, but on the car locked to rack is deemed to be theft in transport.

Of course, prevention is better. In general I avoid restaurants at top of gondola/cable car up from the village, and restaurants in village, or right by bus stop, etc., but that kind of went out of the window in Tignes. Think someone's went walkies from Tav. des Neiges or the Aspen last year? (not intentionally trying to scaremonger here)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 17-12-12 12:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OliviaDB, don't you have winter sports travel insurance (in case you break neck and need transporting off slopes in helicopter and home in private ambulance)? Equipment insurance will be included, or an optional extra, depending on company.

But many policies exclude skis left outside a restaurant without being locked - read the small print.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and you also need proof of reporting theft to local police; that can eat up a good few hours of your holiday. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To help I've bought a 2nd Iphone and have superglued it in a waterproof case to the topsheet, this way I can just use the find my Iphone if they ever get nicked or I'm too rat-arsed to remember where I left them.

The only problems I have had with this approach is putting the phone on charge is a real bug, especially if I'm using the docking station, (you'd think someone would have made a ski friendly docking station)

And when one little scrote split the skis with his mate, I ended up charging around the mountain only to get 1 of the ski's back, my next plan is to buy a 3rd iphone so can track the pair more easily.

Haven't come up with a plan for pole security yet though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
OliviaDB, don't you have winter sports travel insurance (in case you break neck and need transporting off slopes in helicopter and home in private ambulance)? Equipment insurance will be included, or an optional extra, depending on company.

But many policies exclude skis left outside a restaurant without being locked - read the small print.

I do. I will have to check that one too. Thank you!

Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1 wrote:
To help I've bought a 2nd Iphone and have superglued it in a waterproof case to the topsheet, this way I can just use the find my Iphone if they ever get nicked or I'm too rat-arsed to remember where I left them.

The only problems I have had with this approach is putting the phone on charge is a real bug, especially if I'm using the docking station, (you'd think someone would have made a ski friendly docking station)

And when one little scrote split the skis with his mate, I ended up charging around the mountain only to get 1 of the ski's back, my next plan is to buy a 3rd iphone so can track the pair more easily.

Haven't come up with a plan for pole security yet though.

I like you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll get me coat.....

Also don't whatever you do write your name on your ski's where it is legible for all and sundry. My BiL and I take great pleasure in winding people up. Sort of goes like this.

Notice name on ski in bubble, gondola etc.
Strategcially follow them for a few turns after exiting gondola/bubble.

The strike up conversation - Tarquin (insert actual name) is that you?, haven't seen you in years. I think the best we did was a 15 minute conversation, the bloke concerned had convinced himself that he new my BiL and we were invited to meet up for drinks later.
snow report
ansta1, only an idiot would write his real name on his skis. I am working on ways to muck up the top sheet of my far-too-shiny and garish new skis as fast as possible. Snowheads stickers will figure.
ski holidays
pam w, I know.....
snow report
pam w, Pen wipes off, sticky muck from stickers need a hot gun. You might notice that WC skiers have their name and pair number written on them but hey they are idiots too.
snow conditions
Cynic wrote:
pam w, Pen wipes off, sticky muck from stickers need a hot gun. You might notice that WC skiers have their name and pair number written on them but hey they are idiots too.

If it wipes off, it's not really going to help much with the theft thing and the WC racers aren't worried about theft of their kit, but they and their tech's will want to track which ski's have been used and when...
ski holidays
Quote:

shiny and garish new skis

mine also have the disadvantage of being taller than most, so combined with the glowy orange tips (that makes the snow glow orange) and garish paint job, they shout out "Wooo! Woooo! nice skis over here!" when in the ski rack.
Quote:

pole security

poles are overrated.
As an aside, to go with the new skis *when* Wink you get them, don't make the mistake I made and get L+R handed poles. Royal PITA sorting out which pole is which on the chairlift slide-off. Totally forgot about poles and bag until I went to pack everything for trip #1, so cue a sprint to Sport Hübner before they shut Embarassed
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
I'll get me coat.....

Also don't whatever you do write your name on your ski's where it is legible for all and sundry. My BiL and I take great pleasure in winding people up. Sort of goes like this.

Notice name on ski in bubble, gondola etc.
Strategcially follow them for a few turns after exiting gondola/bubble.

The strike up conversation - Tarquin (insert actual name) is that you?, haven't seen you in years. I think the best we did was a 15 minute conversation, the bloke concerned had convinced himself that he new my BiL and we were invited to meet up for drinks later.

Sounds like a great way to make new friends.
Happy

I tend to take people taking the wee wee as a sign of affection, so it might make me feel very loved. :-S
ski holidays
Well in that case If I ever see a pair with Olivia on I will most certainly be starting a conversation.... wink wink
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
Well in that case If I ever see a pair with Olivia on I will most certainly be starting a conversation.... wink wink

Make sure it's Olivia the Great.
Any other Olivia wont be me. Shove 'em off the chair lift.
latest report
where's the "like" button? Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy