Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow boots for pre walker

Poster: A snowHead
We're off skiing in 3 weeks with our 1 year old who isn't quite walking. Want him to be able to have plenty of fun in the snow without us worrying about his feet getting cold/wet but not sure about what footwear to get as he's not walking and I can't see to find any suitable pre walkers. Any help welcomed Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to Decathlon (or order from them on-line). Cheap and cheerful snow boots for all ages/sizes and unless you have plans for more 'pre-walkers', you're only going to use them once anyway. Just make sure that feet have nice thick socks and are dried when you finish. My first 1 year old started walking on his first ski trip at just on 12 months!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If there isn't a Decathlon near you try Go Outdoors.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ebays good too, as people use them once or twice, then get rid.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What size are you after? I have the ones we bought for our eldest daughter (boys ones as they were cheaper) which then Keira wore for a bit but now has grown out of.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sports Direct have a good stock of cute kids snow boots but I am not sure on the sizing for little 'uns as it was a while since I was ickle Very Happy

http://www.sportsdirect.com/Skiing-and-Snowboarding/Snow-Boots

They have infant ones like this: http://www.sportsdirect.com/campri-infants-snow-joggers-026268

I was looking at the Thomas the Tank Engine ones for my 2 yr old nephew as he has just started walking and I fully intend to turn him into a gnarly dude (challenge since his family are wimps!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fallenangel1978, You probably don't want real boots for a child who is not walking. This is what I had for mine when he was just turned 1 and not walking http://www.littletrekkers.co.uk/shop/index.php/flypage/897 they seem to have 25% off at the moment too, I had a lot of stuff from this company, Little Trekkers (and still do) I really recommend them, their customer service and product range is fab.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fallenangel1978,

Of course, it depends a bit on what temperatures you will be in, but any winter boots should be fine. I like the ones behind the links crazy_skier_jules sent.

In any case, make sure you can fit a pair of thick wool (or fleece) socks beneath them. Layering is king.

What is your kid wearing on the rest of his body?

The trousers will make a massive difference. Since your kid is not quite walking, he'll be spending a lot of time in the snow on his bum. Actually, rather than trousers + jacket, I recommend a one-piece snow-suit and a one-piece wool/fleece suit. Any decent snow-suit for kids should have elastic bands in the trouser legs, to keep them snug over the boots, as well as heel-strap to keep the trouser leg from slipping up. This will make sure to keep the snow from getting into the boots, which is very important. Remember, the trouser legs go over the boots. Do not tuck the trouser legs in the boots. The boot legs make great scoops.

sarah,
If the kid is going to spend time in snow, the kid needs boots. The things you link to are made for babies in prams or baby carriers. Very good for just that, but not for playing in the snow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SkiingDad, I was just replying to the request which was for suitable footwear for a pre-walker not a toddler, there's a difference there. Clearly the OP didn't want snowboots for kids as they are pretty easy to find and so she wouldn't have asked. I read her request as "what do you put on a child's feet when they are not yet ready for proper shoes/boots?"

Each to their own but it's not a great idea to put a non-walker into proper shoes/boots as their feet are still developing and footwear can actually delay their progression to walking, but as I say each to their own. I was just giving my opinion about footwear for a pre-walker as requested, and I did use those waterproof over booties for my son when he was just turned one Little Angel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

it's not a great idea to put a non-walker into proper shoes/boots

but just for the very short sessions a crawling baby can tolerate of playing in the snow, should be fine! My 8 month old grand-daughter, not yet crawling, has nice fat insulated over slipper sort of things, made for the purpose, but I don't think they'd stay on if she was crawling, even though I have sewn on little catches to hook onto an eye on the salopettes, when they were her big sister's. I find gloves even more of a challenge; most babies of my acquaintance can, and do, take them off in no time and get very cross if they can't. Sun glasses too. If they have the elasticated strap things they pull them away from their face, then give up, they snap back, bash nose, waily waily.

I look at those cute little French babies in their sunnies, boottees, mittens, etc etc, playing happily with no fuss and wonder where we go wrong. Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, yes for short sessions fine, but then so would be the waterproof over booties! The issue I think you could have with snow boots is that they will come off easily as they are hard and inflexible and so won't move with a baby's foot well, whereas the booties are soft and do stay put. But like I said each to their own Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We bought a pair of these for little miss narbs - http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+cosy-childrens-snow-boots-in-coats-rainwear-and-wellies+B8450

She'll be just over one when we go to AdH in January and persuading her to keep boots, gloves and hat on will be the biggest challenge Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sarah,
Sorry if I came across as a bit of a ... well, you know. Was trying to me brief in my otherwise lengthy response. I don't dispute your point about a child's development, but I think that a couple of hours a day of playing around in the snow is not going to offset that.

Quote:

The issue I think you could have with snow boots is that they will come off easily as they are hard and inflexible and so won't move with a baby's foot well, whereas the booties are soft and do stay put.

Unlikely though it is, the boots can indeed come off, which is why it's very good to have the elastic bands and heel straps on the trouser legs. The booties aren't immune either, as I've seen them come off babies sleeping in prams.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiingDad, Thanks Smile Like with anything, you try and you go with what works for you. Hope the OP finds what she is looking for.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have 2 models from Swedish brand, Lindberg -

http://www.funkyrascal.co.uk/blue-snow-booties-alunda-lindberg/ available in pink and blue

http://www.funkyrascal.co.uk/black-snow-booties-marsfjall-lindberg/ available in patterned black

as recommended above, always put the legs of the snowsuit over the booties.

sizes for the boots would probably be 20/21 for a 12 month old in shoes/booties.

we've got snowsuits, fleece layers and base layers too if you're interested. have a mooch about the site under babies or toddlers outdoors. sizes 74 or 80 would be about right. it relates to the height/length of the child in cms.
Smile
latest report
grazzenger, those look fab! I like some of your other stuff too Smile
snow report
glad you like them, sarah. it's a fun shop to be the teaboy in!
snow report
Yeah good luck getting em to keep all the accessories on - my nephew is a flipping nightmare at the beach, he needs to wear a sunhat but thinks 'Mum puts it on and I pull it off' is the funniest game ever! I don't envy his mum in winter :/
ski holidays
Sarah, you got it in one! I used to work in Clarks when I was at uni and did all the kids shoe fitting training so was worried about a pair of hard soled boots on his feet. Are the bootie things warm enough with a decent pair of socks?

Skiing dad, we have a couple of options for him, an all in one from Columbia and a 2 piece set.

Grazzenger those boots are fab! Are they long enough to go over the trouser legs?
ski holidays
I got the wee man some Sorel styled boots from M&Co last year, they did the job fine, and far cheaper than any of the branded options.
snow report
You could try and get some 2nd hand ones from ebay / babywearing fb selling groups as waterproof booties come up there occasionally and tend to hold their value well. Togz do some which would be big enough for a couple of layers of socks underneath. When son#2 was 7 months, we didn't bother with a waterproof layer, just a couple of pairs of really thick socks - when outside, he was either in a sling, buggy or sitting on my knee on a sledge so didn't really have snow contact.

Doh - just realised your 1 year old fallenangel1978 will now be 2 an no doubt walking but hey, someone else may be having the same conundrum this winter. I hope he thoroughly enjoyed his introduction to skiing last season!
ski holidays
When my daughter was younger I always used Muddy Puddles. Here is a link to their baby's snow boots http://www.muddypuddles.com/baby/baby-footwear-and-accessories/snowboots
latest report
got some good snow boots for my 7 yr old at Lidl the other day and there were loads for really little feet so may be worth checking out the sizes. Cheap as chips and plenty good quality
ski holidays
Bet they start walking at the airport, that's what one of mine did wink
I saw some great smartwool booties on little adventure shop website, they have some lovely stuff and great service (and no, I'm not on their payroll)

http://www.littleadventureshop.co.uk/collections/baby-booties/products/smartwool-baby-bootie-batch
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy