Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Left and right skis

Poster: A snowHead
****probable numpty question alert****

I just lob my skis on the ground, stick my boots in the bindings and head off, I'm guessing just like most people. But I was watching the ski jumping earlier and noticed some of the skiers had L on one ski and R on the other, which I imagine would mean left and right (or links und recht (sp?)) - they must prepare each ski slightly differently for performance reasons. Does anyone know what they do differently to each ski?

It got me thinking, would there ever be any advantage to having a dedicated left and right ski? Or do WC alpine skiers already do this for some disciplines? For example if a downhill run has predominantly more right bends then there must be a slight advantage to preparing one ski or the maybe outside edge on one ski/inside on the other slightly differently.

Marginal gains and all that....

****end of probable numpty question****

Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hammerite, Most skis are symmetrical, so can be used as the left or right ski, but there are some designs which are decidely asymmetrical eg ScottyBobs BobTail Telemark skis Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There was a fashion for tuning the edges differently so that the inside edges were 'sharper'. Salomon used to make stickers for the skis that pointed to the inside edges. I don't think many people do this any more.

Trouble is, inside edges wear faster than outside ones so you can soon end up with assymetric skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fellow OCD'ers will know the importance of getting the correct ski on the correct foot. Any variance from this will inevitably result in disaster of Mayan proportions.

This is the great advantage of hiring skis as there is ALWAYS a subtle difference between the labels on each ski, allowing easy identification.

wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless the skis really are shaped to make a difference it's actually better to mix them up regularly rather like rotating tyres to get even wear. I'm not sure it actually makes a difference in reality but that is at least the received wisdom. Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

inside edges wear faster than outside ones so you can soon end up with assymetric skis.

hence, like the OP, lob 'em on the ground and get into them!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are some skis about with different sidecuts and you swap them around for different conditions!

No seriously! Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. Was never suggesting I would do such a thing, I'd not notice the difference so it'd be pointless. I race bikes (of the push variety) and can barely tell the difference between some race and training tyres (although I do use them!).

So based on the fact that it can be done, but isn't recreationally. Is it something racers do? they must turn up to races with many sets of skis so can afford to mess with their edges.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gatecrasher wrote:
There are some skis about with different sidecuts and you swap them around for different conditions!

No seriously! Shocked

Back in the day.... I had Dynastar Fusion HZs that had "Hard" and "Soft" edges. I couldn't notice any difference (which may say more about me than the skis). I think the design only lasted a couple of years.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Scott Mission RIP was a handed ski.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mind you, if I'm skiing badly I'll stop and swap 'em over. Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

if I'm skiing badly I'll stop and swap 'em over

funny you should say that..... Embarassed I was once making such a complete pig's ear of the black run back to my apartment (which isn't very difficult, in the overall scheme of things) that I actually did stop and swap them over - they felt so alien.

I got to the bottom without falling over, so maybe it worked...... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Out of habit I tend to wear mine a particular way round, they have different top sheets and I just prefer them one way over the other, no real reason.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hammerite wrote:
****probable numpty question alert****

I just lob my skis on the ground, ............... L on one ski and R

Perhaps a......................... clue!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hammerite,

Elan do "handed" skis, see here:- http://www.elanskis.com/en/technology/amphibio.html

I am a big fan of Elan skis but I have not tried these, Elan are usually ahead of the game though, in my opinion anyway.
snow report
Most special slalom race skis have the hooky bits facing inwards making them handed.
ski holidays
skitow wrote:
hammerite,

Elan do "handed" skis, see here:- http://www.elanskis.com/en/technology/amphibio.html

I am a big fan of Elan skis but I have not tried these, Elan are usually ahead of the game though, in my opinion anyway.

Yikes Borat.............................. you should not have taken me seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wink

I said ................... Camber/rocker/hybrid............................... NOT camber/rocker/fusion. I claim my 500,000 Euro patents %age!
ski holidays
NB: certain bindings are also directional - I've got a set of skis that were left/right that had some bindings that also were directionally biased for release - get the wrong foot and it could be really nasty!
latest report
hammerite,

If they were ski jumping then the bindings might be the point of difference not the skis.

Telemark boots and bindings are only fit left-left and right-right.

Ski jump bindings are also sided for a couple of reasons including the bar at the back which shapes the way the ski spreads out.
latest report
The ones I saw were in a shop in France last season, can't remember the name but they were black and looked like bbrs on steroids! Had something like "piste side" "powder side" written on the sidewall.

Come on guy's...somebody help me out here!

Anybody? rolling eyes
snow report
gatecrasher, saw a very pretty girl with a pair of those in Avoriaz last week. Looked like rubbish skis though.
snow report
gatecrasher wrote:
The ones I saw were in a shop in France last season, can't remember the name but they were black and looked like bbrs on steroids! Had something like "piste side" "powder side" written on the sidewall.

Come on guy's...somebody help me out here!

Anybody? rolling eyes

We saw a pair of those in a shop window in the main shopping area of Val T towards the end of last season. The edges were marked as you described. They were quite a strange shape , slightly teardrop like.

Miss SB has a pair of these and says the dice on the top sheet have to match so there is a L and R

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 16-12-12 2:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
under a new name, Very pretty girl....check!.... strange black skis you've never seen before....name?

Doh! rolling eyes Toofy Grin
latest report
sequoiaboard, thanks I'm not going mad then, saw them in Val cenis.

cynic, that's the only thing I don't like about my labs, you have to do all your outside the poles training with them the wrong way round otherwise the edges get sharpened to death only on one side, I've seen people grind the deflector part off to combat this, I'm not entirely sure how effective the deflector actually is anyway. Embarassed Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 16-12-12 2:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
gatecrasher wrote:
sequoiaboard, can't see the image.

^ hopefully you can see it now, a couple of posts ago. Had to register on SZ and then edit previous post.
Offski bedski.
ski holidays
gatecrasher wrote:
sequoiaboard, can't see the image.

Oops sorry. When I said that Miss SB had a pair of these I didn't mean to say she had a pair of the strange skis we saw in a ski shop window. She has a pair of skis which are L and R foot specific, she says.
Apologies for ambiguous post.
latest report
sequoiaboard, Yep thanks got that, I'm pretty sure those go on either way round! wink
latest report
Panic over....

http://www.sportkostner.com/en/dupraz/dupraz-skis-black-curve

Phew!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IN Ski Jumping you flare the skis. I'm guessing that the left and right has some binding adjustment to make it easier to get to the best aerodynamic angle.
snow report
gatecrasher, mrs UANN would not take kindly to me cruising a lift pass line wink
snow conditions
Yep the http://dupraz-skis.com/ skis look interesting, I was chatting to them at the London Skis show, could be fun to test!

The other issue with left and rights is that quite a few ski makers now are doing the graphics so that they match left and right, my lad skied his Movement Flyswatters the same way round all last season and you could really tell that he had from the edges, its a good job he does not like his edges sharp!

Both Movement and Whitedot this season, graphic wise have a left and right, but it does not make a difference really
Shocked
ski holidays
under a new name, that's what the boys trips are for! wink Toofy Grin

livetoski, I should imagine getting one of them mixed up with someone else's after a heavy lunch could be interesting! Shocked
snow report
gatecrasher wrote:
Panic over....

http://www.sportkostner.com/en/dupraz/dupraz-skis-black-curve

Phew!

I saw a guy with a pair of those on test in Tignes last week. They were HYOOOOGE! He couldn't rate them any higher and thought the piste/off-piste edge bias worked quite well.
snow report
I have a apir of Scott Maya skis. One top sheet says Scott and one says Maya. Slight OCD means they must be on the right way round to read 'Scott Maya' rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
crazy_skier_jules wrote:
I have a apir of Scott Maya skis. One top sheet says Scott and one says Maya. Slight OCD means they must be on the right way round to read 'Scott Maya' rolling eyes Laughing

Similarly with my Majesty Superiors, the graphics 'fit' one way round.
latest report
Ahhh I love the graphics on those! snowHead Cool
snow report
You lot are a bunch of OCD freaks!

I wear mine a certain way round...only because it's lucky! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
My wife has different din settings on each ski, due to a historic knee injury, hence left and right; is that the same? Puzzled
snow conditions
Thanks all, very interesting.
ski holidays
cstreat, no, that's based on which binding is which, not on the ski edges.

gatecrasher, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy