Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

An Idiots Guide to GoPro..

Poster: A snowHead
This isn't me writing one, this is me suggesting one..

Having bought an HD2, and read some of the surrounding threads, I'm now almost certain I won't be able to use/edit/make anything decent/know what the heck I'm doing with it when I strap it on.

Anyone have a foolproof, easy, DIY guide to set it all up for skiing?

@ansta1, I'm maybe looking at you here!?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/j29Idy1R11M
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
meh, had a look at this 'un earlier. Not got a problem with sticking the actual mount to the helmet, it's more the software, and slightly more explanation of the r3, r4 stuff.
Was just wondering if people had any recommendations, and what they've tried and tested.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The problem I find with idiot guides is that a better class of idiot will come along which means you haver to rewrite it.

Anything particular you want to know?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haha! Just some basic tips I guess; particular settings that are best for skiing on bright days or flat light days, slow mo..

Video editing software is another one as well. I'm on a MacBook, assuming iMovie is going to be ok for it?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rule no.1 of Go pro, dont look like a d1ck when using it !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well Joe if you have a hd2 you can ignore the r1, r2 stuff because you don't have those settings on the hd2.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
joe1890, iMovie is great.

The HD2 settings are much easier to understand (no r1,r2 etc) and actually tell you what they are on the LCD screen. Wack it in 1080p30 for the most part and 720p60 if you want to do a bit of slow mo stuff.

It's much better to take short clips than leave it running for ages.

When I get home I take all the footage off the memory card and back it up onto an external HDD right away. Then I go through the clips and separate them out into good and bad. Import the good ones into whatever you want to edit in and start taking bits out of the clips. If you want to set the video to a song I'd recommend pulling that in first and laying it out on the timeline then you can get a feeling for the rhythm as you add more footage in and can shuffle it about and lengthen/shorten bits so it fits together.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
what meh says.

other stuff

If you are not using the app or lcd back for framing its usually better to point the camera slightly lower than you think.

always tether the camera when in vulnerable sutuations

if you a not using the camera leave it in the housing that camera lens is vulnerable and not replaceable, the housing lens is replaceable.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
meh, can't argue with the 360!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...............still happy with my Delkin tho'.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimastaaah, if you're talking about the video I linked earlier its not me! Smile

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, best part about this is the democratization of making awesome stuff and wanging it on the interwebs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
meh, I know that's not you.................. saw some on Clarky999's post in Snow Report Forum............... not him either.

I'll post my stuff mid-Jan as I'm out in the Arlberg then.

BTW, I'm not the "GoPro-Pro" to the same extent as you. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think the general term to describe me would be bumbling fool. Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers for the help guys... Gives me a bit more of an idea of what the hell to do!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers for the help guys... Gives me a bit more of an idea of what the hell to do!
ski holidays
joe1890, get to know the camera and it's settings first, find out what changing the settings (frame rate, field of view etc) does to the captured video. Kyle Martin and micbergsma do loads of youtube howto videos on gopros and they're pretty good. I'll put together a quick cheat sheet (or steal one that's already been done!!!)
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Rule no.1 of Go pro, dont look like a d1ck when using it !

Rule no.2 of Go-Pro - It is impossible not to break Rule no.1
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/J-ArAsATd8M May help a bit plus some of his other tutorials will probably help with editing Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I use sony vegas for editing, it cost be £80 but is really worth the money.

I'm no ski hero, but do like my go pro.
snow conditions
Put it on 720p at 60 fps and keep it like that
Here I had it 960p and it was too small

http://youtube.com/v/eOocAGDOzow
latest report
For people who want to learn to colour grade this App is excellent for both video and photos:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dale-grahn-color/id584568903?mt=8
latest report
meh, Thats useful....thanks.
latest report
My use of movie making software will be limited to a couple of ski holidays a year so prefer not to pay for movie making software - anyone have any suggestion of good free software. tried windows moviemaker in the past but could not get it to work for me..
ski holidays
probably the best guide...

http://youtube.com/v/n9AsIweRgVo

Toofy Grin
latest report
If people are looking for something to edit on the iPad this looks excellent and is released soon:
http://www.toucheditapp.com

Bit steep at a proposed price of $50 though but easily the most comprehensive app. There's a whole bunch of tutorials hidden away on their page that show the functionality:
http://toucheditpro.com/tutorials.html
ski holidays
how do you mount yours?

helmet, pole or chest harness?
latest report
All of the above. Smile
snow report
tom00_uk wrote:
how do you mount yours?

helmet, pole or chest harness?

al of the above and others.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1, always gotta be one upping me! *shakes fist* Twisted Evil
latest report
its only because you beat me to the punchline...... I have no doubt you are better skier/boarder than I, and probably considerably more hansome and attractive to the opposite sex to boot!
snow report
I call mine "no-pro". Number of times battery has gone flat, memory card says full when it's not, can't see if it's recording or not. It's a great bit of kit but the interface is very terse. Memory card issue, I normally just delete video files using windows, but seems like a quick format is a good idea once in a while. I do have a spare battery, helps if I take it with me. I've the no-pro set to one touch record mode, so simply (ha) turn it on and it records, turn it off and, well it stops recording. This prevents ending up in menus and changing settings by accident when in the field without the manual to decode WTF it's doing. I have a handle bar clamp and just stick it to my ski pole, have used the head strap on my helmet, only just stuck the sticky clamp on helmet, low down at the front, don't see why it needs to go on top as more chance whacking it with branches, though I guess easier to get goggles up.

Use Sony Vegas on Windows to edit video. I do find video editing time consuming and have lots of footage I've not been through now. I do try and only record when I think it's something interesting. Keep edited video short as possible if you want people to watch.
latest report
ansta1, Laughing
latest report
waynos, which one you got?
ski holidays
Here's my homemade rucksack pole mount. The Mystery Ranch packs have an awesome velcro adjustment system to set the back length and I've used that to stiffen the pole in place. The Mk1 version was just the pole jammed in the pack. This is the newly constructed Mk2 version as I found the original rotated too much with the weight of the GoPro on top. Simply bodged on a bit of plastic to prevent the pole from turning. It makes the thing a bit harder to put in but much more solid.

Pack with mount in place.

What it looks like on:

The mount itself:

This is a video I made with the Mk1 version:
Laugavegurinn from Charles Palmer
http://vimeo.com/55680888
latest report
Steelspoon wrote:
Put it on 720p at 60 fps and keep it like that
Here I had it 960p and it was too small

Puzzled eh?

Better on 960/50 as I remember as you've got a better chance of getting everything in, i.e all of your skis, or no chopped off heads if filmed from your skis, you then have the option to crop down to 720 the bits off that you don't need, or stretch to 720 if It's more important to get everything on the final edit but want to output to 720, also filming at 50fps gives far smoother pans on UK TVs etc. imv. 60 on some UK pal TVs or converting to pal gives jittery full frame pans I've found. Confused
snow conditions
Could somebody recommend a good editing app for the iPad that includes ability to change frame rates? iMovie is good but too basic for me. wink
snow conditions
I wouldnt recommend editing on the ipad in general but this may do the job....

meh wrote:
If people are looking for something to edit on the iPad this looks excellent and is released soon:
http://www.toucheditapp.com

Bit steep at a proposed price of $50 though but easily the most comprehensive app. There's a whole bunch of tutorials hidden away on their page that show the functionality:
http://toucheditpro.com/tutorials.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy