Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Jean de Sixt - Great Bornand/Les Clusez

Poster: A snowHead
I've planned a new year ski trip to the Avaris ski area staying in St Jean de Sixt - can anyone recommend it?

I'm hiring a car in Geneve so I can get to the two main resorts - which is the best?

Can anyone recommend a good place to eat near the village?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not been there in winter but was there late summer. Assuming good conditions (roadwise) you should be ok (with a car).If you are an idiot like me you will end up on a Swiss motorway and have to buy a years pass for the brief time you are there. With some study I assume you can find a route that avoids that. That said getting from GVA to the resort is no real bother. Motorway a lot of the way. By memory St Jean is between the two resorts and is pretty small..........why are you staying there and not in either of the resorts. Either one would be a better bet unless you are going for quiet. Didnt eat there but ate in La Clusaz and Le Grand Bornand and enjoyed both...being an idiot and it being a few years ago naturally cant remember any names! If you are there for a week and mobile there should be sufficient to keep you going.

It is not that high.....will there be snow?

The area is Aravis, by the way...website attached

www.aravis.com
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Colin - I'll try and avoid ther Swiss motorway. I'm hoping that the snow is at least as good as last year with the Ski Club GB reporting 90cm on the upper slopes, though its not a lot is it- best to take my walking boots!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
highlandrob, We are going to the PDS for xmas and NY and are hoping to do a day visit to La Clusaz during this time. Last year we had plenty of snow over xmas and had to dig the car out. I'm not sure about driving to that area, but certainly from Geneva to PDS, Flaine and Megeve we never encountered any problems. There was some trouble in Villars though with cars skidding and a couple of accidents on the mountain road. I hope you have a good time with plenty of snow. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Feeling much more confident about the snow now - thanks IncogSkiSno. Usually use the Land Rover in the highlands to get around so never any problems with snow - not sure about hiring a car, hope it comes with snow tyres and chains!

Wish I'd found this site sooner, been very useful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
highlandrob, The hire cars come with snow tyres as standard, but you need to book the chains and they are paid for upon collection. We have never had to use the chains when we've had the hire cars with snowtyres (but still get them as a precaution), but have had to use them with our own car, not much fun to put on in the freezing cold. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've booked the car already, I'll be sure to get a pair of chains. Avis told us to pay for these when we pick up the car along with the ski carrier. I'm going to add the damage waiver - hate to be caught out on ice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
highlandrob, We booked through Avis too and have ordered the chains and a ski rack, although I haven't added the waiver, but I really think it's worth having as the excess is extortionate. I have just been reading the other thread about collecting cars from the Swiss side, I have always picked up from the French side, so I'm now wondering if this may be a better option. Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have to pick up from the Swiss side. I fly a lot between Edinburgh and London so I'm using up my free airmiles - I say free, but when you add in the airport tax its costing us £404 - we are driving to Edinburgh (3hrs) then flying to Frankfurt and from there onto Geneva - 4 countries in one day, I tried to book a direct flight via easyjet etc but it didn't work out any better for 4 of us! Our nearest airport is Inverness but you can only get to Stornaway or Heathrow and its mainly BA - so never to cheap.

Did you pre-order chains and ski rack? I was told to do it on the day we arrived - I'm going to give them another call.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
highlandrob, Your journey sounds a bit fiddly. We have just got Easyjet running from B'mouth that's why we are all flying this time Very Happy

Yes I have pre-ordered the rack and chains, but they are not paid for and have to be collected.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are flybe operating from B'mouth - they look like they could be a reasonable price.

I think we could easily get enough folk interested in a flight from Inverness to GA for skiing, but with the latest Air Scotland problems I think its a bit of a risky business.

I'll double check with Avis to ensure we have everything booked - I'd hate to get there....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
highlandrob, No I don't think Flybe do and we have already booked with Easyjet for 5 of us for £714 return including taxes. The same flights now cost £814 from just just a week ago. It would have been cheaper to book the flights individually though Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
highlandrob,

I've only been there in summer, but it is beautiful.

I don't know if you have boked a place to stay yet, but Paul at http://www.karibuni.co.uk/Ski/snowhome.htm has a wonderful lodge in St Jean De Sixt, which I can't recommend highly enough. The bar and restaurant opposite his lodge both serve great food. (If you get in touch with him, tell him Ali P's mate Steve sent you!)

Grand Bornand is the slightly smaller of the two resorts but a lovely village. There appear to be fantastic off piste opportunities in GB and La C.

If you hire on the CH side in GVA your car will have the autoroute vignette so no M-way problems. Enjoy,you'll love it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steve Sparks, unforunately I'd booked a place before coming across Paul's website. Thanks for the update on the 'autoroute vignette'. snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IncogSkiSno, It's much cheaper south of the border then - flyglobespan fly from Edi to GV but they wanted just over £1000 for 4 - so much for a cheap airline, easyjet are a little better until you add in extra baggage. I phoned Avis and despite having asked when I booked they didn't appear to have a ski rack booked - so good job I phoned. Checked their website to see if the price had moved and wow was I surprised at the increase, glad I booked early for a change.
snow report
it's much easier to get in and out of Geneva airport, towards the Aravis region, using the motorway from the airport and as others have noted above, Swiss hire cars will have the vignette. Even if you hire on the French side, a vignette will save you a whole heap of frustration for the cost of a modest round of drinks (40 swiss francs). If you do hire on the French side, look for other threads about the route in and out of the French sector - it's not signposted, and not too easy, even with the puzzling diagrams issued by the car hire companies! It's a great area, have fun.
ski holidays
PAN W - thanks for the reassurance, thankfully we are flying into the Swiss side (via Frankfurt via Edinburgh). Lokking forward to it already. We had snow at Aviemore two weeks ago (all melted now) but looking good for the season. snowHead
latest report
highlandrob,

Take care, flying into the Swiss side does not necessarily mean you are hiring a car from the Swiss side.....we flew to the Swiss side but then got our car on the French side...hence the problems ! Our only excuse was that that was our first time there and we didnt know any better !
ski holidays
Yes, the international flights all go into the same place - only domestic flights actually turf you out into the French side. You can exit the main international baggage hall either into the French or into the Swiss side (the latter being the most obvious). Most car hire companies, the big ones, have outlets on both sides and they will probably ask when you book which side you want to be on.
snow report
Colin/Pam - thanks again for the advice, checked my booking ticket annnnnd its the Swiss side hurrah! We've been through Geneve before with Crystal, who didn't meet us at the airport, we had to find our own coach, that was fun!

Well now I just need to wax my skis and pray for snow, loads of it. snowHead
snow conditions
highlandrob, we had a few days at Aravis a couple of years ago and stayed in St Jean de Sixt. Can't recommend anywhere to eat as were were in a catered chalet but you can easily walk into Grand Bornand in about 15/20 mins, you would need to drive to La Clusaz though.

Driving from Geneva is dead easy and it took us about 50 mins door to door. The local roads were cleared well despite a fairly heavy snowfall.

Although the resort has a low base altitude a lot of the skiing is higher up, especially at Grand Bornand - when we were there the run to the bottom was closed due to lack of snow but the skiing from the top of the goldola and upwards was fantastic.

I'm sure you'll have researched the skiing on offer, my only tip would be to head for the La Balme sector - the best snow, some lovely long reds and the views from the top are outstanding.

Hope this helps.
snow report
masmith - thanks for the tips - like the sound of the road clearing - very comforting. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
In terms of restaurants in St Jean they are a bit thin on the ground, but if you have a car then go further a field to La Foly or Chalet du Lac at Lac du Confin, La Clusaz. They are the best so far that we have come accross, proper french traditional cusine. In La Clusaz itself L'Ecurelle, L'Outa and Ugo are also good just not so authentic. There are a couple of good ones in Grand Bornand, but La Clusaz has a better atmosphere in the evenings - more lively. Definately the place to stay.

In terms of ski/snowboard piste information, have a look at our website www.gravite.co.uk (on the ski/board pages). I have written up reviews of both Grand Bornand and La Clusaz. And as we live here all year round they are a bit more informative and accurate than some of the ski club/ travel book stuff. Have a go at the FREE COMPETITION too, you migt win another holiday out here, this time in La Clusaz and we can guide you around the slopes.

The roads should be fine, they clear then quite regularily. Waht time of year are you going?
We only got stuck once in early March last year and needed to get the chains out.
Check the weather forecast and check the car has chains when you are hiring it!!!

Anything else you'd like to know just ask.
snow conditions
graviteski - thanks for the tips, I've added your site to my favs - great idea for a competition. We are fortunate in that the owner of the Chalet in Sixt has offered to 'guide' us round the resort - saves time hunting for the best parts! - Have a great season.
latest report
Highlandrob

No probs - have a good trip and enjoy both resorts, they do offer fab skiing!

And if you see us out and about with our hoodies on (you can't miss the yellow é) don't be shy and say hi. Shock

We will keep our fingers crossed for your snowshovel entry.
snow report
I thought I'd bump this back up as I am off to Aravis next week end with karibuni following Steve's recommendation above.

We are there for four days so it sounds like GB is worth a day with the rest of the time spent at LC.

Anybody got any recommendations for good long runs, off piste areas and on mountain places to eat.
Also are there any dodgy flat bits or drag lifts to avoid as I am a boarder - pretty competent so can do it if I have to would just rather not.

Thanks

ash
snow report
ashton parker, have a great trip, Paul and his team will have loads of advice for you on where to go and what to see. Say hi to them from me. snowHead
snow report
ashton parker,

Try and head over to the Maroly area of GB at the moment, the off-piste over there will be superb this weekend. Most of GB is pretty good for boarders as it is well served by chair-lifts. But stay away from the Etale/Merdassier area of La Clusaz unless you are very good on button-lifts. La Balme is the best place for boarding in La Clusaz, on and off-piste.

Paul is a good boarder himself, so I'm sure he will be able to offer excellent advice during your stay there.

Have fun! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cheers guys - just a week to go
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy