Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prolapsed Disk-- 2nd opinion required

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I suffered a prolapsed disk at L5s1 12 weeks ago on my mountain bike, no impact but just wear in the disk caused it when hucking off a jump..

I am pretty much symptom free now although i couldn't walk for 3 weeks and then had terrible sciatica for the rest of the time with it clearing up in the last 2 weeks, physio has said it is generally a 16 week heal time and according to the consultant I couldn't be in a better situation, however no boarding this season is his opinion....

I had hoped I could get back at the tail end but will probably give it a miss as don't fancy loss of bladder control on the mountain and apparently I won't be covered on the insurance?.. Also if this happens its an immediate operation with this particular disk and this is his concern although having that happen up a mountain fills me with fear!!! And in another country!

I reckon if I hold it down and wear a spine protector I could go 4 days with no falling over, has anyone had a disk split and gone on the mountain 6 months after injury and had issues?

Thanks in advance... any advice appreciated..
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, I have 2 herniated discs and have skied all the way through BUT it hurts a lot! Chairlifts mean that between sitting down and being able to lower the bar and put your feet up on it is torture, falling is horrible, sometimes I set myself off just putting my boots on/off, the painkillers set my belly off, a TENS machine helps a lot until my back goes into spasm in which case the TENS then sends me into a virtual seizure.
Poma or t-bars increase the problem too. Gondolas can be tricky if busy as the lack of space to stretch out can cause cramp. Luckily I have never had occasion to need a nappy with this issue.
My advice would be see a sports physio and explain your needs. Try pilates/yoga/core strength type exercises, if you increase the musculature surrounding the spine it will act like scaffolding.
The feldenkrist (not sure of the spelling) technique is a great kind of non weight bearing flexibility/stretch/almost meditation type movement that can be easily learned and done in a spare few minutes at home with no expensive equipment. I use it daily even when I'm having trouble, it helps me enormously as a cool down muscle relaxer when skiing.
From one idiot to possibly another- be careful with insurance it could get stupidly expensive. If your doctor is telling you don't then don't, stuff the insurance, your spine will have to last the rest of your life. While I have admiration for people on sitskis and can see how much fun they can be I don't want to end up in one if I can prevent it. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply, have been going hard at the gym and with a PT so all good.. I just wonder how much more it will heal after 6 months, also more concerned about getting back on my bike and I windsurf as well so pretty much screwed with everything i do!

But gutted to miss the season and it looks like its going off with the snow!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm probably going to miss this season, I had surgery and it is taking a lot longer to recover than I had hoped. I keep getting ski weather updates in email and text. Gutted doesn't quite cover it. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I feel your pain..lol
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Missing one season now for the chance to ski many more is worth it, I had to miss one after a knee operation and it was horrible. However, 5 years later I wouldn't even know I'd had the operation, stay strong and get fit, you'll thank yourself down the line! I know how it feels though Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy