Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoiding queues and Mayrhofen advice

Poster: A snowHead
I hate to queue. I ski 3 to 5 weeks a year and have not spent more than 5 mins in a queue since 2000 when I picked a bad snowless week in verbier. I either ski before the Christmas week or the week after new year week . I also do the week before half term in feb, Canada in early march and a very late week depending on when Easter is. This has never failed me but I end up in the same places year in and year out.
Fancy a change this year and I'm looking at Mayrhofen on the 5th jan. I'm worried about the queues at the penkenbahn. Search round the Internet this seems to crop up a lot. Anybody know what it's like early after new year? If its bad i'll do st Anton- again.
Any other queue avoiding tips?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't use the Penkenbahn. Simples Smile
Use a piste map and a bit of imagination
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get to the penkenbahn for 9 and you won't queue at all, get there for 9:20 and you will queue for an annoying length of time. The difference is startling, based on 10 days in March
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Always avoided the Penken at peak times, you can get the free bus from towm town and get hobergbahn up to the Penken area, do a few runs in this area and head down to Egalm, nice tree lined run and the Vogelsnest at the bottom does canny food (8 euro for spag bol), lifts over egalm are decent and pretty quiet the 3 times I have been, or try taking the free train to the Ziller arena area, usually quiet and a good size linked area Gerlos etc. Ahornbahn (5 min walk in snowboard boots or 10-15 mins wobble / freaky shape throwing in Ski boots Laughing ) for a bit of a warm up and has a cracking long red all the way down by which time the Penken will be fairly quiet. Head up the Hintertux at least once, nice long home run all the way down and if new snow has fallen it will be cracking up the Tux. Enjoy!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh yeah, the restaurant next to the Vans Park in the Penken does cracking pizzas for 7 euro iirc
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is the train on the ski pass?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just read you post again- free train. Thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buses and train covered on your pass mate. The Hoff is goooooooood!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
By the way, queue up and back down on penkenbahn. Only reason i wouldnt go back to Mayrhofen.
If i cant ski back down i am out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ianbradders wrote:
By the way, queue up and back down on penkenbahn. Only reason i wouldnt go back to Mayrhofen.
If i cant ski back down i am out.

Just avoid the Penken at peak times.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Easier said than done.
I really dont like having to queue.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never had to queue to come down (well no more than a cabin or 3).

Double uplifts at Zell am Ziller and Hochzillertal afaik. Never had to queue to go up or down there, except for when there was the crazy sled race thing, where it was a big queue to come back down, due to so much public spectators.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
5th January will not be too bad. As others have the said, the better option a lof the time is to go up the Horberg, which then opens up a number of the lifts that get you over the other side away from the crowds. The horbergbahn is well served by the ski bus network and so where ever you stay it is easy to get to. That covers Mayrhofen, however if you are here, then you also want a few days out to Zell/Hintertux/Kaltenbach etc and so really the penkenbahn is not an issue.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're in a Hotel down at the train station end of town (eg Neue Post, Kramerwirt, Neuhaus), or one of the many gasthaus/pensions, then hopping on a bus is easier anyway. May as well pick the one that's going out to Horbergbahn, and skip any queues. Probably less like sardines too. The psychological morale boost from beating any queue is always a good thing even if it actually took longer to get from boot room to snow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If that week coincides with the Russian New Year, look out. As I found a few years ago.

Just hit the Penken lift before 9am (as mentioned by someone else) or go to Hobergbahn on the (free) bus. If you like an apres beers or 2, have them at the top of Penkenbahn at the end of the day and wait for the queue to subside. Some lively bars right by the lift. Or just repeat the upload method.
latest report
Chasseur, good call. Germany, at least the southern half, will pretty much be on Holiday until 6th Jan too, so first day could be carnage. Then it'll be autobahn carnage as they all leave on Sunday evening. Then I guess it'll die down from the Monday onwards.

I'm booked to go there the following weekend, but will probably park up in Kaltenbach if it's dumping (multistorey carpark there - cba to dig car out), or Zell am Ziller if it's sunny (open carparks, and I really need to explore more out towards Gerlos).
latest report
The Russian New Year holiday week is from the 2nd to the 10th of January with the Orthodox Christmas day on 7th January.
snow conditions
Some good advice here but woot ord about the Russian new year now. Struggle to get the mrs moving before 9am. How busy are the slopes when we get to them
latest report
tomlinson, when I went, the slopes were pretty empty to be honest - its such a large area that the crowds dissipate quite fast. Whereabouts is your hotel/accommodation? If it is away from the centre, you would normally catch one of the many and frequent buses to Penken so, as mentioned, simply catch one to Horberg. It really is easy.
ski holidays
In fact, IIRC, the longest I queued was probably no more than 15-20 minutes at around 9.15/9.30.
latest report
Sorry, but as mentioned that week in Jan will be fairly busy, also a lot of ruskies try to pick up skiing on their own so the home-bound runs in Penken will be a little scary at times. I would simply suggest exactly what many here have suggested, if you can, go to Horberg lift.

Actually If you are not desperate to get wasted more than one or two nights in the week, splash out on a taxi or 2 at night and stay in Horberg, you won't regret it, the hotels are nicer and the queues smaller (again avoid 9:20, its not as bad as penken but can be a bit of a wait) plus with the snow being amazing at the moment you might (depending on your level) be able to use the valley run back down!

Once your on the slopes there's an easy trick, start your week further away from Mayrhofen (eggalm or rastkogel) and then at the end ski closer to home, trust me everyone does the opposite, you will have a really relaxed time. Also do not go to Hintertux on the last two days, better to try Zell and Kaltenbach they are both amazing resorts!
ski holidays
Not booked it yet but there are a couple of cheap packages for hotels near the penkenbahn- 10 min walk so I pretty restricted to this but they are near the train station too which is a bonus. I think I'll go for one of them and see how I get on. I like the idea of the train to other places.
snow report
Buses run from all over town and the trainstation is not far from the centre. main bus station is next to it too. Public/ski transport is good so you wont be hampered by not being on a lifts doorstep.
snow report
That sounds like an advantage, being near the station tomlinson. The buses run from, to and through that area. The train to Zell (well worth a day IMV) takes about 20 minutes IIRC and they run (or certainly did) every 30 minutes. It's a short hop from the station on the bus to the lift - dead easy.
ski holidays
There is plenty of great skiing available in the whole of the ziller valley. As previous posters have said all buses in the valley and the train are free with the ski pass. You won't be disappointed with the skiing if you learn the trick of avoiding the the Penkenbahn. You need to get a bus timetable (search the net and you'll find it) the line you want is the Horberg express and it only takes ten mins. You can also take the Finkenberg lift up and down and get a bus to and from the station for free.
The train runs every half an hour and it is worth using it to ski at Zell and Kaltenbach. When you get off the train at Zell you hop on a bus to the gondola and back. At Kaltenbach you just walk to the gondola. From Zell you can ski over to Konigsligten and catch a bus back to Mayrhofen but don't miss the last bus!!!!! Great skiing but do your homework on travel first.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 16-12-12 19:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
kevinraine, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
Here is the link for ski bus
http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/info-and-service/ski-bus/
latest report
kevinraine wrote:
Here is the link for ski bus
http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/info-and-service/ski-bus/
Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kevinraine wrote:
There is plenty of great skiing available in the whole of the sillier valley.

That's the great thing about Mayrhofen - you can go silly, sillier or silliest Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Hi all,

We'll be in Mayrhofen from 19th Jan for a week and we're also planning on making use of the area pass and skiing in Zell and Tux glacier too. We are staying at the Hotel Neuhaus on a half board basis and we'll be getting our lunch on the mountain each day. My question to those who know the area is where are the best places to grab a good lunch on the mountain? Preferably looking for somewhere with a good atmosphere, not too pricey and traditional - not too 'touristy', if that's possible! Also looking for good places for a late afternoon beer on the mountain - somewhere with a good apres vibe.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers

Chris snowHead
snow report
We are staying at that hotel the week before
snow report
Quote:

Hotel Neuhaus

is down near the station.

Been a long time since I was in Mayrhofen (as opposed to Zillertal Arena or HochZillertal), so I don't remember any restaurant names. Think I ate in one of the places at the top, or over on Ahorn it would have been the Uli Spiess' place. Bar at top of Penken is kind of the logical place for a drink before download... then you can run when there's no queue (not that I ever saw any major download queue).

Ice Bar at the bottom can be mental (used to be). Was trashed by 8pm last time I was there. Both the bar and the (mostly Dutch) clientele, that is.
snow conditions
coxy84 wrote:
Hi all,

Also looking for good places for a late afternoon beer on the mountain - somewhere with a good apres vibe.

Chris snowHead

I'm sure someone will be able to state the name of the place but, as one skis back down towards the Penken lift, there is a circular bar on the right hand side of the piste about 150m or so before the lift entrance. Banging apres with some great music. Good spot to wait out the download queues IMHO.
latest report
coxy84, Chasseur, That will be the Pilzbar (Giant Umbrella Bar) good fun before giong back down to town.

For food on the mountain:
Grillhofalm is next to the Vans Penkan Park and does very good Pizza.
Christas Skialm is also good with an outside BBQ when the weather is OK. (near the top of the Finkenberger Almbahnen II chair)
Vogelnest. If you make your way across from the Penken area towards Eggalm you'll find it just before the 1st Eggalm lift / bottom of Red 4 (?).
Gletscherhütte. Right at the top of the glacier it is a small hut perched up high on the rocks. It is very good.

In generall you'll find god value food in most, if not all, places in the area.

Dont forget the butchers opposite the Penken lift in the town centre. Great sandwiches with beer.
ski holidays
coxy84, I like the Vogelnest over at eggalm for lunch. If you want a snack then asCircusthing, says you want to go into the Gasser opposite the penkenbahn. 2.5 euro for a slab of meat in a roll, job done. If you are interested in going to HIntertux it is also worth noting that you can combine this on a circuit from the penken. Basically ski all the way over to eggalm, down to the bottom of the Raastkogelbahn, from there you can get a shuttle bus every 15 mins to hintertux. Just a different way of doing it. You can then either get a bus all the way back to Mayrhofen or get the tuxer sportbus back to Rastkogelbahn and get the gondola back up into the mayrhofen ski area. That is quite a nice day out.
snow conditions
Circusthing wrote:
coxy84, Chasseur, That will be the Pilzbar (Giant Umbrella Bar) good fun before giong back down to town.

That certainly rings a bell.... Laughing Thanks.

Circusthing wrote:
Don't forget the butchers opposite the Penken lift in the town centre. Great sandwiches with beer.

+1
ski holidays
The butchers also does great ribs.

Scheekar Hutte at top of Sccheekar chair has good music, fab view and good (but slightly dearer food).

The Vogelsnest at bottom of chair to Eggalm does great food. Take an early lunch there as the terrace loses sun early and then it's baltic.

Other ways back to the hoff, ski down Eggalm to Tux, a few cheeky beers in the great Hexenkessl and then hop the greenline bus back.

You can gondola down to here as well if you prefer, but with none of the queues of the Penken.

Oh, and the restaurant hiding down the slopew from the Combibahn does great desserts.
latest report
Hi all, am also off to Mayrh for the first time 5th Jan.... can anyone enlighten me on the amount of dreadied russians likely to be there ?? They are bad enough in summer resorts....

Thanks
snow report
Been living and working in the 'Hof for the past four seasons now, to be honest early Jan is a great time to come out...but be aware of the Penken at peak times no matter what the time of year! If you get there before 9am, no problems, and if your descending at peak time then just shoot over to the Horberg and get the bus, its really no problem at all. Cant help out with restaurants or apres but the Ruskies are no rpoblem really and the good thing that I love about the valley is the pure scale of terrain available on the train, which again is no problem and well worth using in full!
latest report
Cheers doc, sounds great. Have skied the last 6-7 years in Italy, not been to Austria, any comparisons ??

Cheers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy