Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt Xmas Eve Church Service

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Someone on here suggested that this was worth a visit. Does anyone have any more info such as time / is attendance restricted in any way ?

I'm not religious but love traditional christmasy things
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it's anything like the one we have in Wengen, it'll be brilliant and the place will be packed to the rafters. Can't recommended it highly enough (and I'm not particularly religious either). All will be welcome, biggest problem is not getting there early enough to get a seat!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dsoutar, there is/was an English Church in Zermatt. We went to the Christmas Eve service there in 2008. The vicar was also visiting from England for the week with his family - I think at least his lodging was provided free for taking the Christmas services. The church was pretty full, about 50% Brits and 50% others (including Swiss and Germans), the singing was lusty and the whole thing very atmospheric. We would go again.
As regards the arrangements, I think one of the chalet girls found out, but we did struggle to find the Church in the dark - I think the service was at 11pm but I could be wrong.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dsoutar, try here http://www.ics-uk.org/churches/Switzerland_Zermatt.shtml
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi we have never been to that service but I know there is one. Your hotel or chalet should be able to confirm the time. If you have the chance to go up in daylight, it is worth a visit (even if you aren't religious!) a number of quite moving plaques and so on to fallen climbers and others who perished on the mountains above Zermatt. I don't know if you have been to Zermatt before, but the Church is up on the hillside, broadly speaking behind the alpine centre on the Bannofstrasse (ie up the hill on the right as you look at the Matterhorn). You go up behind there and starting climbing up. It is marked by small signs indicating 'englische kirche' or 'englischer viertel'.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is also a Catholic church,St Mauritius and there will be several masses on Christmas eve
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swimandski is of course quite right, there is a large Catholic Church right in the main square which will certainly have a number of masses on Christmas Eve. It was wrong of me to presume dsoutar was only thinking about English language services, either would be very 'Christmassy' for sure!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scotsgirl, it was me that suggested the Anglican service Embarassed (which is a bit heretical, having been brought up a Catholic) Embarassed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perfectly ok to do both. The Anglican church will have an early evening carol service, and there'll be a midnight mass at the Catholic church later on. All very Christmassy!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went to Mass in Saas Fee on Christmas eve a couple of years ago it was packed, a great service and a lovely church. Two hymms were sang in English and some of the Mass was in English/French/German.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were married there 3 years ago and it is such a cute church, the views up to Rothorn as you come out are amazing.

The church is opposite the Mont Cervin hotel, up an outcrop, it is best entered up the slope directly in front of it, as the road by Grampi's is steep and very icy. There is a road around the back from the train station, but is a much longer route.

There are usually a couple of services on Christmas Eve and they will be very crowded.

http://www.holidaynet.ch/360_tour/embed_code.html

This link gives google map street view of Zermatt, or most of it anyhow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy