Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best liquer for the hip flask?

Poster: A snowHead
ansta1 wrote:
Standee wrote:
Genepei
Damson Gin
Damson Vodka
Sambuca
Ray & Nephew
Talisker
Glenmorangie
Islay
Ochantoshan (sp?)
Flugel + Jaegermeister (without red bull, takes up too much volue!) aka "let the duck out"

how many hip flasks to you carry?

I have between the two of us, 6 on any given day. (4oz so not huge amount over 6-7 hours)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
another vote for 50/50 brandy port here Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brandy & port = awesome hangover cure (not at 50:50, more like 75:25 in favour of brandy)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I didn't get the sloe gin made this year, but I'm going to make some Christmas pudding vodka instead. I think it might be rather warming.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kat.ryb wrote:
another vote for 50/50 brandy port here Happy

It's also good for settling an upset tummy?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
remmy martin champagne cognac smooth as silk but hits the spot
Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Finnish Cloudberry liqueur, like alcoholic cough mixture Shock
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ohhh? I love Cloudberries. Might have to get my cousin to post me some from Norway (along with some brown cheese)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good cherry brandy, when I used to drink Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Standee wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
Standee wrote:
Genepei
Damson Gin
Damson Vodka
Sambuca
Ray & Nephew
Talisker
Glenmorangie
Islay
Ochantoshan (sp?)
Flugel + Jaegermeister (without red bull, takes up too much volue!) aka "let the duck out"

how many hip flasks to you carry?

I have between the two of us, 6 on any given day. (4oz so not huge amount over 6-7 hours)

fair play, me and mrs a have a pair of leki hot shots, so thats technically 4, plus i always have at least 1 proper flask, so 5.

I have another one, but dont always take it out so cant claim to beat the 6 between 2.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The next sottHead that looks askance at me having two beers for lunch can kiss their shinny metal flassk rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, beer at lunch, irresponsible and vulgar wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
50/50 port and brandy, a little bit sticky, a little bit sweet and the brandy gives it a kick.
yum, my favourite to.

That's my choice too wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vodka........................................... Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oooh a bit of searching in the cellar and I've found a 4 or 5 year old bottle of rhubarb and ginger vodka, its gorgeous and will certainly be filling my hip flask next month! Oh and anyone needing a flask and not liking the price of the ones in that other thread http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=37016
snow conditions
The daft thing is I usually take a flask onto the slope with me, and a lot of the times I find I get to the end of the day and it's still full Shocked
ski holidays
Schliborvitz (I'm sure the spelling is wrong) but it's a delicious & potent clear plum brandy. MMM!
snow report
Often my hip flask is finished off on the bus/download/walk to the bar, however my thermos of hot toddy is always gone by the end of the day, generously shared by the way, I'm not actually an alcoholic nor do I have a death wish.
ski holidays
Home made damson vodka, if any is left by then, otherwise it`s back to sloe gin. I am referring to my wife`s drinking habits, obviously, as I have previously self righteously posted that I never drink on piste Toofy Grin
ski holidays
davkt,

I like the sound of that. Perhaps with gooseberries instead of the rhubarb as well Smile
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Your favourite single malt.

+1
ski holidays
Gentiane du Valais if you are in/near the 4 Vallees....a bit of a b*****k shaker Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Ok, I've run through all the naughties the philthphilter doesn't like and I'm still statching my nuts over what
Quote:
b*****k shaker
might be Puzzled
latest report
Wow that set off a fair ole discussion. Thanks for your suggestions folks.

I like the sound of Damson gin/vodka as I like fruity spirits - any suggestions where I can get it?
snow report
musher, Yep, goosegogs work just as well as rhubarb.
Jennyski, Well some of the big distillers make sloe gin but it isn't a patch on home made, found this on google http://www.bramleyandgage.co.uk/acatalog/damsongin.html but no idea how good it is, best way is to make your own next summer, use the cheapest full strength spirit you can find, it will be ready just in time for the ski season!
snow conditions
We've got 3 damson trees in our garden so interested in a recipe if anyone's willing
latest report
barry, Well I tend to make it in a wine making demijon so quantities are not exact and you'll find your own perfect recipe after a few tries. I fill the demijon about a quarter full of the sloes, damsons, rhubarb, gooseberries or whatever. With damsons and sloes stick them in the freezer overnight first to split the skins, saves you having to spike each one with a fork! Then I pour in about 3/4 of a bag of sugar and top it all up with the cheapest (aldi/lidl/tesco etc own brand) spirit I can find, check it is full strength as some of cheap ones are lower alcohol. Stick a cork in and shake it up, the sugar probably won't all dissolve at this point but shake it up daily till it does. Have a quick taste and add more sugar if you think it needs it, then give it shake every week or so till it is ready to bottle, make it when the fruit is ripe and that will be at Christmas. If making it with something like gooseberries or rhubarb the soaked fruit makes a rather good crumble
latest report
^ awesome, I nearly want spring to spring so I can have at it, thanks mate
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Beer .... but then my hip-flask is the size of a PARTY 7 Laughing
ski holidays
Right - I'm off to Switzerland next week so I'm after suggestions. All this talk of damsons and plums has got me thinking pflumli.
ski holidays
I guess pflumli and slivovitz are actually the same thing, only from different countries.
ski holidays
Homemade sloe gin every time wink
ski holidays
B&B

This variation of Benedictine is oddly popular in the US - asked for Benedictine and got some perplexed looks, before the 'server' mentioned the B&B which is Benedictine & Brandy... but blended by the Benny boys themselves.... and is excellent.
Benedictine is great on ice, but is a bit sweet, whereas the B&B does get it just right...

Or Baileys' with a few (or many) extra shots of Johnny Black thrown in....
latest report
Very good rum. Mmmmmmm, rum. Must buy more :/
ski holidays
adamantis, Very nice Cuban Rum in Aldi at the moment http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_27477.htm
ski holidays
davkt, this is my rum of choice: http://www.licorea.com/santiago-de-cuba-extra-añejo-reserva-20-años-cuba-p-976.html?currency=GBP
Mmmmmm (goes to fetch it from the cupboard)
snow conditions
The advantage of damson vodka is that you can eat the damsons as well! Wife here, allowed a quick post, ooh, aren't I lucky! Recipe: Decant half bottle of cheap vodka, fill to 3/4 mark with damsons (frozen or pricked if you have nothing else to do other than spend hours on Snowheads forum) and to top with granulated, white sugar. Then add a few drops of almond essence. Best in kilner jar cos damsons too fat to quash into vodka bottle, even after drinking half bottle first. Ready by Christmas. Same for sloes but no almond essence.
snow report
cstreat, if you are making sloe gin (I've not done vodka myself but having tried some I think gin complements sloes better than vodka), add almond essence to taste once its made. In either event it is worth noting that this is one occasion when the very cheap almond flavouring is best, don't use the very expensive almond extract as the oil this is made from is immiscible with the gin/vodka and will float on the top. The cheap essence is based on water and will mix in absolutely fine. It is def. worth adding in the almond essence to the sloe gin as it rounds it off wonderfully and you can certainly tell that which has it added from that which doesn't.
snow report
adamantis, Sounds good, my normal rum is http://www.licorea.com/mount-gay-eclipse-barbados-p-930.html for dark River Antoine overproof when I can find it for white or http://www.drinksupermarket.com/wray-nephew-overproof-rum-70cl.html?utm_source=googlefeedUK&utm_medium=freefeed&utm_campaign=freefeed when I can't find River Antoine
snow report
cstreat, Strip the fruit off the stones of vodka/gin sloe, chop it up then stir into melted dark chocolate, pour the mix into a tray and cool to make a bar of choc, delicious!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy