Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair Flight "Nearly Crashed"...

Poster: A snowHead
Well, having flown as a passsenger since 1956 ( I think, I was very young)in a DC-3, and many other prop, turbo and various configurations since, I've never done a go around. I have to admit though, that my few Ryanair landings have been less than elegant.

As for the implicit criticisms of pilots on this thread, and the criticsms of the critics.... well, I've personally known one or two pilots who were not the brightest, which is not a criticism of their ability, you understand..Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jimmjimm wrote:
Don't waste your time stoat, the forum knows that whitegold is a fool.

I pity the fool...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fluter wrote:
, I've never done a go around.

Your obviously not a frequent flyer!

The best or hariest go around i have experienced is in a 747-400. The pure raw full thrust of the engines
sudden ascent & sharp banking. Great feeling!

I lost count how many go arounds i had at Basel.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had a g/a coming in to Innsbruck one year on the Birthday Bash flight, frightened the life out of Alison, I was of course completely calm rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been quite a frequent flier here as well and never had a go around although have had a few interesting landings, Chambéry and Queenstown being the most memorable.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hacel,

Depends on your definition of "Frequent Flyer".

When i refer to FF it means somone taking at "least" 2 flights a week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
go-aounds twice in one flight at Salzburg... small problem finding the runway. Return flight delayed because of small problem finding a spare wheel. Airline shortly afterwards went bust, no connection I'm sure.

I can't see the problem in fairly firm landings, on some of the strips Ryanair seems to operate from, I can see that being down definitively is a good idea.

Best landings in float planes, done well they are so beautiful, most "sporty" landings on frozen sea on skis. Once was landed hard enough to set off the emergency location transmitter...

I love being flown in small planes/helicopters but don't get to do it much anymore. In another life I can see being a "bush pilot" in Canada would have been brilliant. But anyway I just don't have the right temperament to be a good pilot.

I do regret never having been flown into Kai Tak on the chequerboard approach. A pilot friend used to do it a lot. Sounds/looks great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=OtnL4KYVtDE
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Crikey in almost 10,000 flying hours, I've only performed 6 go-arounds in commercial aircraft.

A very turbulent approach into Funchal (Madeira), the roll was so bad at low level +/- ~30degrees we had to go around, unfortunately one of the pax in the front let themselves go a bit too much.

Best one was at Innsbruck, clear as a bell down the 26 Rattenberg approach, reaching about 500' above our decision altitude, straight into cloud Laughing Went around and then the skipper saw the 08 visual approach was clear, so landed on 08.

I wonder what the pax were thinking at the time ( we did tell them though ).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
fluter wrote:
, I've never done a go around.

Your obviously not a frequent flyer! .

No, thank goodness!Happy I got spoilt as an airline brat in the 50s and 60s when flying was still glamorous (aah, the Comet 4b.). The landing slots and aircraft utilisation probably weren't so squeezed either.

Having been on a 747 flight deck for a landing the greatest difficulty at an unknown airport these days seems to be finding the stand!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
had a go around/aborted landing on a big airbus in heathrow, rear wheels were down before we climbed away again under full power, apparently the previous landed plane got stuck up the end of runway before they turned off. seems like the interval was a bit tight that day

had an emergency landing in dublin after engine fire out over Irish sea

usually lose luggage too - all in all dont ever travel with me rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2planks, It's alright - you can call us SLF... we know our place... Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had 2 go-arounds once, on the same flight – Ryanair funnily enough, but this was a few years ago.

It was flying into Derry airport – for those who haven’t seen it, the runway basically points into/ends in the water of the lough. So on a normal landing approach you appear skim just above the water for a bit before touching down - it can look a little hairy if you’re not used to it.

I used to fly that route quite a lot (I avoid Ryanair at all costs now) and on this occasion as we were flying in I was looking out the window at the water and thinking, hmm, there’s the marshy bit, we’re close to the runway, but still rather high… Sure enough a few seconds later the plane was pulled back up into the air, and we flew a big loop for a second attempt. Second time we were a little lower, but still seemed pretty high to be able to actually put it down and stop by the end of the runway. Then the plane was pulled up again Toofy Grin Some people we’re getting very nervous by that point…!

After that we flew out over the city and reversed directions and landed from the other direction, coming in over fields, pointing to the lough. I never found out what happened – I just assumed it was a new pilot who hadn’t flown there before and bottled it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton,

Fair comment, all subjective, i'm not quite up to that level but over an 8 month period recently i'm probably knocking on for 60 flights which has thankfully calmed down - definitely not 2 flights a week though and not ongoing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Commericial Airlines are generally safe.

However. The NTSB keeps worldwide (As best it can) on all accidents. You can query using this or just look at the monthly stats.

I think a lot of folk wil be surprised !

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/index.aspx
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
Hacel,

Depends on your definition of "Frequent Flyer".

When i refer to FF it means somone taking at "least" 2 flights a week.

I'm currently taking 4-6 flights a month and that feels pretty frequent to me...
snow conditions
I cashed in my Virgin miles for approx 30 free cases of wine over the past few years - that meet the frequent definition? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Scary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20734048
ski holidays
altis, blimey, that first chap has a bit of a mare.

Check this out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17863501
snow report
altis wrote:
Scary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20734048

however made to look more dramatic by speeding up the footage........
snow report
A day in the life of a lo cost pilot

http://www.scribd.com/doc/115133965/Life-on-the-Line

Luckily my company is a lot better than what these poor sods have to go through on a daily basis.
snow report
[qoute]poor sods[/quote]

kind of explains why everyone thinks flight crew are overpaid prima-donnas.

His biggest gripe is the lack of 'respect' and deferential BS his 'position' demands.

Total BS -- he should try a real job.
latest report
What's a real job then....
ski holidays
one where you expect to earn respect ..
latest report
Fair enough
snow report
Agenterre, actually, I do think an aircraft captain should automatically have respect. An awful lot of responsibility, with possible dire consequences if he screws up. I would like his life to go smoothly, I'm kinda hoping that he will be alert and competent if there is a problem.
snow conditions
achilles, So would I hope he isnt stressed ... but same stress & responsibility goes for every bus, train & tube driver. In fact same goes for anyone who drives a car ... and 2 screaming kids in the back are a lot more stressful than the question as to which cheeses are on the cheese board.

.. and you are coming from a military perspective ... and that is a different environment totally snowHead
ski holidays
And back to the original topic:

Heres a (probably) more serious incident from Air Canada:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1302052--controller-alerts-air-canada-flight-after-it-descends-too-low-too-soon-in-new-york-landing

Now can we have the usual histrionics about safety, I'd rather walk etc, - oh no its not Ryanair so it will pass virtually unnoticed. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
so ----- back to off-topic ----- Easyjet are just as bad as Ryanair ( with even more 'new' commercial rip-offs") .. anyone actually PAID to have an allocated seat yet? .. suckers !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre, yep, paid for exit, extra legroom seats to GVA and back. I used to pay for speedy boarding for the same reason but now my seat is guaranteed so no queuing... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Oh, and back on topic, this thread is brilliant! I don't know anything about flying (except where to sit) but this is better than Air Crash Investigations on Discovery!!!
snow report
I'm tempted to start a thread "Air Traffic Controller stops Air Canada Jet from crashing" - see if there is any more response.
ski holidays
chocksaway, You will notice that

1) I said in my first post I don't think this is necessarily a Ryanair issue... And I have no problem flying Ryanair... but...

2) The Canadian incident appears to be busting an ATC set height limit of 1000ft - which isn't good, The Ryanair incident involved having a Rate of Descent which would have led to impact within 20 seconds, and led to three different warnings, "sink rate", "Terrain" and "Pull-up", with 17 seconds from the initial warning till AP disconnected during which time over half their height was lost.

Do you think the incidents are of the same magnitude of risk? Which one was nearly CFIT?

Confused
ski holidays
stoat of the dead, I don't wish to start a p**** contest - both are clearly serious incidents which have no doubt caused much soul searching amongst the individuals and I have no problems with your posts. My point really is to the snowHead in general that incidents can occur at any airline and Ryanair do not deserve the bashing they regularly get on safety issues. They do attract much more attention - thanks to their PR policy maybe. This is perfectly demonstrated by the length of the threads on the above 2 incidents on a forum that (I suspect) we both frequent!
snow report
chocksaway, fair point Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy