Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sports Camera's

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I have done a little search under camera and found a topic similar to what I want to ask but it referred people to a survey on an external site, so not much feedback was given.
Basically I am after my first HD sports camera, It would be mainly for Skiing (of course) but I enjoy mountain biking aswell as Parkour (not sure this would come off well on camera but worth a little go.)

I would like to hear everybody's opinion's on the different brands such as GoPro, Drift, ect ect.
My budget is in or around the £200 mark, any and all help would be aprreciated.

Many thanks guys.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought a veho muvi hd10. tried it around home and seems pretty good and cost just over 120. Will see how it stands up to a week of skiing soon!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BigMacB93,

do a slightly wider search, there is a lot of discussion around here about options. Some like gopros, some dont. There are similare arguments and points of view about every other camera system in general use.

If you have a specific question feel free to ask.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First question do you like looking like a telietubby? If not don't buy a go pro, if you don't mind you won't go far wrong with one! I'm perfectly happy with my Contour 1080p others will disagree with me!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Second question do you want the best quality image? if so then get a gopro, if not then you wont go far wrong with other cameras. i am perfectly happy with with my gopro hd hero 1,2 and 3 blacks but iothers will disagree with me!

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BigMacB93, Go buy a GoPro.........................my Delkin Wingman is pants............ but 30% the price, and similar MegaPixels. The Delkin may not have the features, but I'm a no-brain amateur!

Clue.................... to an amateur, it's a no brainer!!!!!!!!!!! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1, Thanks, if I'm being honest then picture quality is what's most important to me.
davkt, There are other options to mount the GoPro no?

And do you all know some reliable sites that are good money? I know amazon have an offer on the GoPro.
Many thanks guys
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just bought the Ion air pro on Sportpursuits ( someone on here recommended the site and it`s already cost me a packet) I looked at a number of reviews, and liked the fact that the Ion came with most mountings, and does not need a waterproof case. It was £ 174. It has not arrived yet, so I will post a review later; it will be used on cars, bikes, snow and big waves!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BigMacB93, One of the main questions to ask yourself is what is your end goal in terms of the media, if it's to watch and remember then you certainly don't need the best image quality. If you want to make profession quality edits and output then you will need something that can support that.

And here is how not to do it.

http://fb.me/Qn4wpn5R
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BigMacB93 wrote:
davkt, There are other options to mount the GoPro no?

Of course there are, but when you're a fan of an inferior piece of kit you have to find something wrong with what the vast majority use, surely?

I wouldn't mount a Go Pro on Skis, boots at a push, the chest mounts are great, as are telescopic poles.

As has been said before, remember shooting the video is just the start, it's the edit and post production that will eat your money and time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm currently using a Contour but am considering shifting to a GoPro for diving.

I'd suggest that unless you are a professional you are not really going to be able to tell the difference between someone shooting with a well set up Gopro and someone shooting with a well set up Contour. It really isn't that obvious - I can't tell the difference between the footage MSP shoot with Contour and the stuff they've shot with GoPro but then I don't spend my life editing video.

I'd make two further points. One is that my experience with Contour mounts has been suboptimal, although I now have a decent one lashed up using a modified goggle mount and a bunch of velcro. I'd also suggest that the ability to stick filters on the front of whatever you buy is critical for shooting in snow. In my (limited) experience you may struggle good result in bright conditions without either an ND filter or a polariser on the front. Do a Google search on "blown out helmet cam footage" if you are interested in why.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gorilla, if you are going to use the gopro for diving I'd suggest getting a snake River housing and blurfix kit, it gets rid of the issue you have with the gopro underwater and allows you to add proper filters straight on the front, depending on the dive conditions. You can also change them wet (so if you start in the shallows with no filters and then go deeper and need a magenta filter.

The other bit benefit of these is you can add macro filters to the front, so you can take closeups with the camera as well as doing the wide angle stuff.

Check out http://www.snakeriverprototyping.com/products.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ansta1, cheers much appreciated. I'll look into that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gorilla, Did you ever source an ND or poloriser for your Contour? Looking for one and beyond making one with a spare glass and film not had much luck yet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just got a drift hd ghost and really like it. Only had it out once on skis (the lecht last saturday) but I'm pretty impressed with the footage considering I've not changed any of the settings. I really like the remote control and video tagging feature as well.
ski holidays
Quote:

gorilla, Did you ever source an ND or poloriser for your Contour? Looking for one and beyond making one with a spare glass and film not had much luck yet

Yes - I bought a spare lens adaptor for the Contour and then a 37mm polariser.

http://pointofviewcameras.co.uk/contourhd-replacement-lens-kit.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Circular-Polarizer-Filter-37mm/dp/B00005QF8K?tag=amz07b-21

Would work. Can probably be done cheaper.
snow report
Thanks for that, thats cheaper than i'd found the replacement ring and lenses, plus they're in stock (which helps)
Just got to find out if its compatable with the new +2...
ski holidays
Standee wrote:
when you're a fan of an inferior piece of kit you have to find something wrong with what the vast majority use, surely?

Haha True.

Thanks everyone, I have done a little more research and it seems that I would be better off with something other than a GoPro for the main reason, that its my first camera. I dont want to splash out on an expensive piece of kit. When I can find my feet (or skii's as it were) with a cheaper but still great piece of kit.

Ill have a bit more of a look into the Contour's, are there any specific ones that you guys can recommend?

Thanks.
snow report
Hi

I am looking to buy a head camera specifically for ski-ing [going in 3 weeks], mountain biking & road cycling [racing]. I seem to be going towards a Gopro Hero HD2 have watched a few go through ebay, after reading the thread above I will look at the contour [liked the bit about looking like a telitubby, can just imagine everyone taking the p***!] so would appreciate any tips/advice.
Cheers
Michael
snow conditions
ansta1, said
Quote:

And here is how not to do it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
That has got to be the dullest bit of ski footage I've ever seen.
Oh and thanks for the comments, I think you've all persuaded me not to splash out on a GoPro too.
snow report
For the best mounting options the gopro is definately the best as there is a huge choice of mounts and the quality it good, recommend not getting just the hd hero though.
ski holidays
BigMacB93, the newer the better but the more expensive basically. Lots of cheap stuff can be had second hand as well.
ski holidays
Ion air pro great
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy