Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oh look, it's another 'new skis' thread. (But this one is the best)

Poster: A snowHead
haha
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OliviaDB, you are a Gloss girl. Admit it, buy em from Tim SnowShepherd and if nowt else book on another bash pronto...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque, Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FWIW you could win one, but you can't buy them, so it looks like we will continue to wonder folks! Now am I disappointed Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum wrote:
FWIW you could win one, but you can't buy them, so it looks like we will continue to wonder folks! Now am I disappointed Puzzled

I'll read that again with a glass of Bourbon . . . and see if it makes more sense Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gold plated condoms!! Masque, keep up mate!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowHeads Gold thread drift.

I could tell from one post that this one was going to be entertaining
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
Gold plated condoms!! Masque, keep "it" up mate!

Masque, this is good advice...gold plated ones aren't cheap!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, Good grief woman, keep up, it's gold leaf . . . which, although tasteless, is edible . . .

I really shouldn't admit to knowing that . . . Confused
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Like I said you can win one, but you can't buy 'em

http://www.ppsinc.org/condoms/contest.htm
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
Gold plated condoms!! Masque, keep up it mate!

probably needs one of those little blue pills if he wants to keep it up wink sure he will get an e mail offering some for sale soon
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM, I'm told I'm a big old softy Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, well - you def aint Level 11 as you fail the modesty requirement and I'm guessing you ain't an instructor/trainer either so Level 12's out - I am placing you in Level 10 - you may ski with me if the oppurtunity presents.

Megamum, Owwwwwww!

I still think it only really makes sense to buy skis if you are Level 7 or above on gatecrasher's scale OR you are planning to do a season and haven't locked in a decent discount/not secured a ski rental package as part of a job deal. I plead addiction for my ski related buying excesses but I'm not an enabler for anyone (can't take the competition apart from anything else). Once you start it's slippery, slippery slope (pun intended).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Better hand mine back then, and rent for eternity. And 99% of the British skiing public should be on ropey rentals.

My conspiracy theory is that the no-frills (etc.) airlines are in a deal with the rental co's, so that the rental costs are 2x the price of a 1-way ski carriage cost.

Testing skis back to back, and being able to tell a difference between them, has already distinguished this thread from most of the others that appear on here, which are usually a shortlist of 7 totally different skis all untested by the thread author. The entertainment was a bonus.

Quote:

buying excesses ..... Once you start it's slippery, slippery slope

N=N+1
the standard equation for purchases for skiing, boarding, MTBing, .... (where obviously N=1 pair, in the case of skis, although I expect Masque, may have deviated from the norm there? Wink ).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RattytheSnowRat, There are days when I'm only fit to scoot my arѕe around on a bin liner Embarassed and I've ALWAYS got a lot more to learn and practice. I'm honoured that you deign to slide with me . . .

baggy pants . . . check √
grungy t'shirt . . . check √
vocabulary of a toddler . . . check √
snowboard . . . check √

ability to embarrass/offend/horrify skiers . . . check √ Twisted Evil

I think the OP, bless her little cotton's, needs to have a couple more trips before lashing out on her own skis. Though if she's somewhere to store them in resort and will have more than 2 or 3 trips then it starts to make sense to own. Twisted Evil
snow report
RattytheSnowRat, nooo! You've shattered my dreams, I had Masque, down as an ex wc racer! Crying or Very sad wink

The other time you qualify under level 7 to buy skis is if you plan to use them all year round!
ski holidays
I've had my own skis for about 4 years and around 8 trips. I hadn't even ridden my first chair lift when I got my first set.

I drive to the alps, so transport isn't an issue, and have a tame ski tech. who services them for me. If I had not been given another pair I would still be on my first set of skis purchased brand new from SH's for the grand total of £130. At around £50-£80 per week to hire (as I do DIY holidays and wouldn't get them thrown in with a package deal) I would be very 'out of pocket' if I had continued to hire skis. I also know that I am using half decent and well serviced skis that are suitable for my ability. Even if I had sold the first pair on ebay and bought a second pair I would still not be 'out of pocket'. In fact this is what I have to do for the kids every couple of years and I am still well to the 'good'.

I do also believe that even if I had to pay for servicing I would still be substantially better off owning the skis as servicing would only cost around £20 per year for the couple of weeks I ski.

IMO if you drive to the alps then ski (and boot) ownership becomes a no-brainer, if cost is a consideration. Finally, there is also no queuing at the hire shop at each end of the holiday to get your gear.

Sorry to be sensible again. Toofy Grin
latest report
gatecrasher, . . . yer a gurl? Shocked

now slightly less disturbed about a previous posting [/wiping sweat from brow smilie]
latest report
NB. I wondered about black diamond on the USA scale and looked it up - for anyone else interested http://www.mechanicsofsport.com/terminology.html
snow report
Masque wrote:
gatecrasher, . . . yer a gurl? Shocked

now slightly less disturbed about a previous posting [/wiping sweat from brow smilie]

Masque, yep Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 12-12-12 17:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
[grandpa mode] behave yerself girl, or you'll be grounded for the season Evil or Very Mad [/grandpa mode]
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
[grandpa mode] behave yerself girl, or you'll be grounded for the season Evil or Very Mad [/grandpa mode]

Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 12-12-12 17:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
gatecrasher, 'Stand yer Ground' rules apply here and they sell guns (real ones) in ASDA (Walmart) Cool So you be a good girl and play wit' yer peers, I don't do pervert . . . does yer granny ski?
latest report
Masque, Yep you are right!

FWIW, I might ski like a girl but that's where the similarity ends....

Now definitely running for cover! wink Shocked
ski holidays
gatecrasher, It's great fun to trade barbs with an intelligent mind but you always have to be aware that the normal proprieties of life/society/manners etc. are still there . . . though I tend to fall off my chair when it comes to manners. As a group, snowheads does tend toward the enfeebled, leaking urethra, burgundy boogered side of the age curve and it's easy to assume that all our contributors are the same. They're not, but one of the great joys of this community is its inclusion and it's care for all its members. The Bashes are events that demonstrate a remarkable level of mutual support and tolerance for all ages and sport proclivities. You are obviously very bright minded and it's an absolute joy to know that there are teenagers with your wit and intelligence . . . It's also very good to know that when posting material that may have more that one 'entendre' .

I look forward to sliding with you . . . suitably chaperoned . . . wink

Now, how cute is yer granny?
snow conditions
gatecrasher wrote:
Masque, Yep you are right!

FWIW, I might ski like a girl but that's where the similarity ends....

Now definitely running for cover! wink Shocked

have I been PWND? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I can hunt you down . . .
latest report
Quote:

The Bashes are events that demonstrate a remarkable level of mutual support and tolerance for all ages

less than 7- over 70 (I think) on the PSB (and that was not a record)
16-61 in our lesson (actually not sure about the 61 bit, but it has that ring to it, and I'm sure one was significantly older than me)

edit: grrr at html tag handling
snow report
Masque, having looked up the acronym I think the answer to
Quote:

have I been PWND?

might be 'in your dreams'
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, I had to look it up too, being an old fart I'm not up on the phrases these youngsters use today! rolling eyes

I can hunt you down . . .[/quote]

And I reckon you'd catch me too being only a measly 10 Embarassed wink
ski holidays
Sod this, I'm off back to leching over Olivia and her ski fetish
snow report
Masque wrote:
Sod this, I'm off back to leching over Olivia and her ski fetish
Masque, Laughing

Careful tho hey! wink
ski holidays
What's a sugar daddy ? and has anyone in the 3 pages of this thread offered to fill this missing hole in the OP's repertoire?
latest report
emwmarine,

Err...no comment! Confused
snow conditions
emwmarine, I don't think it's analogous to a sugar mouse unless someone decides to get kinky.
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
has anyone in the 3 pages of this thread offered to fill this hole in the OP'?

That's rather a crass way of putting it . . . but this thread is a work in progress
ski holidays
I think you lot must have scared her away.
ski holidays
andy wrote:
andy, I think you may be right, shame she started out with such promise! rolling eyes
snow report
andy wrote:

Never - but I suffer from freelancer syndrome of 'never say no to work'. Have three books to proofread for next week, am part way through the first. Quietly panicking. When I know I'm only going to miss the deadline for one, I'll be back.

'Sides, I like seeing Masque get himself into trouble.
latest report
cross post syndrome there, so I hit delete. must type faster.
hope nobody minds.

3 books Shocked takes me a year to read, let alone proofread.

edit: and I only proofread one book.
edit2: and yes when I received my personal copy, I found a glaring mistake on the very first page I looked at Embarassed
edit3: and I've never owned up to the first-named author (and I don't think he's spotted it yet)
snow conditions
THREAD DRIFT - THREAD DRIFT

Megamum, I'm not arguing with your logic but consider three things (i) I think there's dif between a £130 pair of skis and some brand new Kneissls and (ii) what always made me ponder the choice was the damage option. I've shredded skis hitting rocks on piste. Admittedly this was after some years of use so I was not complaining BUT if I had done this to a nice new set of skis I would be (a) weeping like a baby and (b) heading towards a rental shop to hire some skis. With rentals you always have the option to pay insurance (iii) theft - nice skis are a target and I've had skis knicked.

I know it's a bit of a toss up but when you also throw in the rental concept of swapping skis (powder days, backcountry, etc) and removing the need to service any of them, it starts to be more about your abilities/level rather than the cost. Not all of us have a friendly tech on tap (or even a competant one, in some cases).

I service and repair both my skis and my g/f's - that really makes the difference as far as I am concerned, saving us about EUR200 per season - prob more vs. resort prices. We also have a secur(ish) dry place to store all our gear in France so I rarely cart skis across borders (sometimes across boarders, but that's a different story).

If I was still approaching red runs with some trepidation, couldn't service my skis and had nowhere to store them near snow, I'd be renting.

OliviaDB, I read about a book a week, sometimes 4-5 per week if I am on holiday and I've reviewed books in the past. If you need a hand - shout out. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy