Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Could anyone advise if I need to change my ski's? If so to what?

I am intermediate skier 40ish years young(overweight & unfit) and tend not to venture off piste.

Height 6ft Weight 13st (give or take a stone) rolling eyes

I am currently running on an old pair of Rossignol RPM 17's (177 length) that when I push them they are very stable and grip really well on groomed runs.......however as the day goes on & I slow down (had a few previous injuries too) I am struggling to handle them a bit especially for grip on hard pack / ice at low speed, and turning in the crud.

The RPM 17's are apparently very similar to the Rossi Bandit x but with different plate for bindings (x-pulsion power 120)?

The real problem I suppose is that I used to love the skis but nowadays I seem that I can have a few hours of delight followed by juddering hell for the rest of the day with the risk of getting injured (again).

Would I be suited to a slightly softer ski with a shorter length? I do like my current ski but only in the mornings on the carpet groomed runs (suppose the right answer would be to stick and get fit so I can push all day but can't do that forever) Embarassed

All comments appreciated (apart from calling me a fat lazy ******) Shocked

Many thanks Carl
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SCOUSE, very difficult to make you any ski recommendations but would imagine you should probably avoid any ski longer than you are tall, wider than 85mm underfoot or with a ski radius more than maybe 17m. If a ski is too soft or too stiff for the level of skill you are using it at, it will be more tiring to ski on, so if you feel it is too stiff, it probably is. Though a stiffer ski will give you more grip on hard pack/ice and will drive through crud you need the skills to access these benefits. A shorter length ski will be easier to start turns on and be more forgiving of imprecise technique, so could allow you better/easier/less tiring turns but won't give you more actual grip on hard pack/ice nor give you greater stability through crud. Probably not what you were after so apologies in advance but have you considered getting lessons? If you can make the time for them you'll probably find they'll make hugely more difference to your enjoyment of skiing than any new equipment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
assuming your skis are in good order with good edges.
it might be worth having a lesson or two to brush up your technique.
we all get a bit lazy at the end of the day. I always ski better if I've had recent lessons just prior to or during my trip.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for replies all......

Ski's serviced reg....but maybe getting a bit tired (like myself) -about 10 yrs old with about 14 weeks ski

Lesson would certainly be a good idea to improve my technique (I'm a very lazy skier who doesn't like to turn much Embarassed )

Will take my old planks with me as there is space in the car but will try a few hire skis a bit shorter and see how I get on.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SCOUSE,
Neville, has it spot on, it's not the kit it's the driver. Fatigue, fitness and finesse are your problems, the lack of. I don't instruct or claim any experience beyond the fact that I have skidded around on, fallen off, fooook'd oop on more types of snow tool than probably any slushNut and the truth is it doesn't matter what you clamp your feet to you have to have both the skill and the energy to use it safely and you only gain that by instruction, practice and repeated application. Like all of us (cue screams of indignation) that are advancing in years, you are far less fit than you should be and you have to both get fitter (recommended) and gain the skills to control your skis in less than ideal conditions . . . that and learn to listen to your bod when it tells you go sit down with a beer . . . been there, ignored that and been medivac'd off the hill Embarassed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mmmmmmm beer......Where was I NehNeh

I am not an out of control lunatic anymore .....the body can't take the beatings now so I am a much more conservative skier...Absolutely spot on with the fitness........the only problem with the fitness is fitting it in with 2 kids & 60 hr week job Skullie

Time to get back the gym I suppose.....Don't want the medivac'd job....sounds like it hurt Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SCOUSE, You don't need a gym . . . just learn to play hard with your kids . . . they're the best incentive you can have. Don't try to teach them, let them teach you to remember how to be silly and throw yer'sen around having fun . . . much better than going to a gym and will bevthe most valuable thing you can possess.

I don't remember anything about the flight . . . morphine is your friend Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mmmmmmm morphine & beer Twisted Evil

My kids batter me now Embarassed 4 & 7 year old

Should be ok for drugs......one of my ski partners is an anaesthetist (with a torn ACL - has to ski with a brace) rolling eyes

I also take them swimming when I can......I'm still reasonably ok but need cardio workout.........but i will probably have to take it easy on the beer I suppose Crying or Very sad ........but I'm going to Saalbach.......how can I take it easy on the beer? Aaaaaaaaarg NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy