Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fritschi Diamir Explore - Wide brakes

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if it's possible to get wide brakes for the Fritschi Explore Bindings ? I've got 90mm versions but would like to mount them the some 105mm underfoot Coreupt POWs I picked up in the spring.

One option could be to bend the existing brakes but I'm unsure how doable that is. I guess it's only 7mm a side.

The other option could be to sell them and upgrade to the Freeride versions, however I've already got a couple of pairs of ski's QK'd for the Explores. Does anyone know if the mounting holes are the same for the newer bindings ?

Cheers snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Update to Marker. Dumping Fritschi on big skis is rubbish. Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CH2O, Is that because of the mount is weak / narrow for the width of the ski ?

I do have some Markers and that was Plan 'A', but if I could mount the Fritschi's with QK's on them it would give me more flexibility with my existing 'all round' kit and make taking 2 pairs out an easier option.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brakes go up to 115m on Fritschis, I have wide ones on my Freeride Pros. The bindings are fine on my ~99mm BD Verdicts. I wouldn't mess with the brakes, you could bend them a little maybe but 7mm seems a lot to me.

I wouldn't say Fritschis are "rubbish" on any ski, but obviously there are other options if you were getting new bindings. Some of the Marker bindings are marketed at use with wide skis, but they seem pretty heavy to me, but they are a fair bit cheaper than the Fritschis. Maybe the Salomon/Atomic binding will be worth a look too, it seems to have a lower stack height than the Frischis or Markers. Each to his/her own.

In any case, in a moment someone will come along and tell us we're all wrong and you should put Dynafits on instead anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sah, If the mounting points were the same I'd be tempted to sell my current Markers and old Explores and up grade to Freeride Pro's. The trouble is I've already got 2 pairs set up for the Explores so it would be a load of extra expense if they have to be re drilled and 'quiver killered' for a different binding.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
F12 knocks any Fritschi into a cocked hat; price, weight, ride height, torsional strength, don't think many shops in Cham sell them anymore, that's talking!
Once upon a time our shop used to return more broken Fritschi than the rest of France put together! Pipe, lighter and inhale!!!! Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Once upon a time our shop used to return more broken Fritschi than the rest of France put together! Pipe, lighter and inhale!!!!

I'm not defending the Fritschis - I'm not exactly in love with my Freerides but I've not tried the others so I can't compare, but "once upon a time" Fritschi was pretty much the only option, certainly the most popular (Naxo anyone?), so maybe you wouldn't see broken bindings from Marker back then because they've only been making them for a few years. I'd be interested in real data on this, because I'd like to look at other options one day, but anecdotes like that don't tell the whole story.

The F12 looks good. Do you have any views on the Salomon/Atomic binding?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guardian/Tracker: long mounting footprint, high din only, no flat walk mode, heavier than a Duke let alone the Baron or Tour, toe height for WTR boot not a full vibram, more expensive, not beta tested.

Adrenalin: horrendously long footprint meaning short rear screws, not compatible with Quiver Killers, high din only, heavier than a Duke, more expensive, not beta tested.

Marker, with the EPF, Baron/old Duke, F12 & F10 have a fully beta tested range of models to suit all requirements. For the Tour, unless you're on 11/12 din then get the F10's.

And if it's more about the up then you should be on Radical ST's wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, Do you know if the drill holes are different for the Freeride \ Explore Fritschis ?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AndAnotherThing.., pretty sure they're different but I'll check my jigs when I'm in the shop tomorrow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndAnotherThing.., I've got a pair of Freeride Pros going spare with QK bolts after doing what Jon mentioned wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sharkymark, oooh. More gear faff choice & confusion !!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CH2O wrote:
F12 knocks any Fritschi into a cocked hat; price, weight, ride height, torsional strength, don't think many shops in Cham sell them anymore, that's talking!
Once upon a time our shop used to return more broken Fritschi than the rest of France put together! Pipe, lighter and inhale!!!! Shocked

Do you return many F12s?

'A word of warning about the Marker Tour TR binding that appeared a couple of seasons ago – like Naxos before them this is definitely one to avoid, as we’ve seen several breakages of the plastic parts as soon as it hit the snow'

from...

http://alpine-guides-blog.com/2012/11/06/2013-ski-mountaineering-equipment-advice/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Non as yet, a few teething troubles on early version, funnily enough tried to talk a guide out of making his client purchase a pair yesterday in favor of Baron, the guide was like i've tried to break them and haven't so it will be fine for my client, the guide skis the shite outa Cham.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CH2O wrote:
Non as yet, a few teething troubles on early version, funnily enough tried to talk a guide out of making his client purchase a pair yesterday in favor of Baron, the guide was like i've tried to break them and haven't so it will be fine for my client, the guide skis the shite outa Cham.

Although the guide probably doesn't fall over very often while skinning. Which I believe is what causes the supposed breakage problem with F12s?
snow report
I've seen a couple of early models where the Axel comes a bit loose and the toe piece "jiggles" a bit, the new axels are a tad wider, larger diameter. so that problem has gone. Not heard of the mentiond problem, however feel if it's likely, the poor lad going to do his Canadian Ski Instructors badge with Freestyle skis and light touring bindings might just have a problem! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Good article here on the changes made since the early model...

http://www.wildsnow.com/6034/marker-f12-f10-review/
ski holidays
There were a number of issues with the launch models of the Duke/Baron/Tour (as well as the Jester/Griffons) but give Marker credit as they have addressed all of them with the mods they have made over a number of updates - some of which they have publicised & others are more sublte. Being used to the 'clunk' that a Vist heel makes when it closes I find the 'click' that the Tour heel makes a bit disconcerting but they work great & torque test spot.

AndAnotherThing.., the three different Fritschi jigs are:

- Explore, Experience & Freeride Plus
- Eagle & Freeride Pro
- Scout
snow conditions
spyderjon, Cheers Jon, thanks for checking up.

After a little more hunting around it seems that Fritschi don't recommend the Explore on widths much over 90mm so it looks like the Markers are the best choice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy