Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easy & scenic slopes in Salzkammergut (AT)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

I'll be spending a week this December in the Salzkammergut region of Austria, and I'll probably spend 3 or 4 of those days skiing. My level is beginner/lower-intermediate and I enjoy mostly long&scenic blue slopes, with some occasional reds.

I was wondering whether people who know the region can give me a recommendation as to where it'd be best to spend the little time I'll have. I enjoy the skiing but for me admiring the mountains (and lakes, if any) is the best part.

From what I can see, the Dachstein resort has the greatest number of km of pistes, but only few of them are blue.

Also, as I'll be on a relatively tight budget; can I save money by buying a pass just for one resort, or are passes good for all resorts in the region anyway?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll have no problem finding scenic, it's a gorgeous part of the world. Can't comment on the easy, I've only skied for one day in the area, and it was on a small but ungroomed ski area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads!

I haven't skied in the Salzkammergut but, from driving through the area in summer, I suspect that the Postalm would offer what you are looking for. Maybe someone else can comment further. What suits best would also depend possibly on exactly where you are based. There are also small resorts around Salzburg or over towards Berchtesgaden.

With regard to lift tickets, that too probably depends on what you decide to do - whether you ski just in one place or move around. The Salzburg Super Ski Card (available from 3 days) would cover everywhere in the region and could be worthwhile if you are skiing a different place each day. But it would work out more expensive than a ticket for just one area, I expect.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Couple of (not particularly good) pictures I had kicking about from the Salzkammergut, taken up the Zwoelferhorn:

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much for your replies!

It looks like the blue Zwölferhorn pistes (which have the gorgeous lake view) are only 1km in length, and that it's mainly the "lake-less" Dachstein ones (such as Schladming-Dachstein) which offer the greatest variety.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
longtalker, When I was there (couple of years ago) they had a policy of not grooming, so may or may not be suitable for you. Saying that, at that time everything was graded as ski routes (so they could get away without grooming) rather than pistes, so maybe it's changed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy