Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for insurance for the season - including off-piste

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any recommendations for suppliers for this?

I've used InsureandGo in the past for single trips, but decided to look into things in a bit more detail this year - having had a very long conversation with their "online help" people, they cannot tell me exactly what they mean when they say I would be insured for Off-Piste activities. The descriptions they have given me so far sound pretty analogous to "Well, you're insured to ski off-piste as long as you're still physically located on-piste at the time".

I have a phone number to call on Monday to discuss it further with someone who may be able to help me pin down what "off piste cover" actually means.

In the meantime, are there any other providers out there who have a policy that's essentially "no quibble" for providing assistance after an incident on the mountain, regardless of whether it's in the park, on or off piste?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Russ
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last time I checked, BMC seemed to have the most reassuring cover.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RussD, MPI brokers have been reoommended for annual cover, and Direct TRavel are good for single trips (although no use for annual cover for us now).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You do need to check if you are insured to ski off piste only with a qualified guide or also without one. Ski Club of GB insurance includes without a guide, but probably isn't the cheapest.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball, do SCGB to a season's cover? Mind you, does RussD actually mean a full season's cover - or cover for trips during the season?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I use BMC for season long cover, specifically because it has few exclusions. The amount of cover is limited but for mountain activities it's by far the most comprehensive.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi I've got a annual one again this year and it works out at £47 with a company called tag direct they say I can go off-piste as long as not solo. So either with a guide or a least 3 people is what they've told me. works for me as traveling with a group of 4. Only downside is you can only have 17 actual days boarding/ skiing. 18days was fair bit more. Off to tignes tomorrow too....
Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I second BMC's insurance for seasonal and off piste cover.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the help guys. BMCs cover asks me to declare that I'm not "lliving or working abroad" - I may need to clarify this with them, as I technically be on an extended holiday, and I'm not sure what counts as "living" and I will certainly be working over there...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SCGB max trip length is 90 days so if you have to go home it can work.

I would also consider a Carte Neige (France) or local equivalent for no quibble rescue
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I go for UK membership of the Austrian Alpine Club http://aacuk.org.uk
Quote:
Mountain Rescue Insurance; worldwide, without age limit and inclusive of repatriation

...members who require rescue services as a result of accidents occurring
in the course of leisure activities. Costs for repatriation, transfer
and medical treatment are covered for accidents occurring in
the course of leisure activities or business as well as for illness.

Annual membership costs £43.50 inclusive of insurance and reciprocal rights if staying in huts - covers ALL mountain activities up to 6,000m, plus most other holiday activities - full details >here<

Household insurance covers my kit

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 9-12-12 16:08; edited 5 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for BMC annual insurance, skiing off piste without a guide no problem, also (should you wish) climbing alpine north faces in winter etc, also very efficient when I had to claim after an ice climbing accident. However you have to pay a surcharge if you want to go snowboarding Skullie
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BMC or snowcard are both good. Austrian alpine club insurance is cheap but you may want to think about whether EUR 25,000 is sufficient cover for rescue costs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I spoke to BMC this morning (as their policy did seem the most comprehensive) however I can't use them. I asked about the declaration on the website that I am not "living or working abroad" and they said flat out that if I do any work while there (bar work, even remote work for a UK company) they will not cover me. Sounds like for working seasonnaires that they're not the right choice (though I don't know if that's a recent change).

I was quite impressed with InsureandGo, spoke to them and for £140 they will cover 4 months including off-piste - and when pressed on the issue I got through to their claims team, who said off-piste activities are covered if the Avalanche Risk level is 1-3, but are not covered at 4 & 5 which seems fairly concrete.

I'll look into a few of the others a bit later, but I suspect it's going to be hard for anyone to beat £140 for (most of) the season.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chocksaway wrote:
I would also consider a Carte Neige (France) or local equivalent for no quibble rescue
Cheers, chocksaway - I always get Carré Neige while away, and for this length of trip it's only 60 Euros which is cheaper than I expected. Good advice, IMO Smile
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
RussD, MPI brokers have been reoommended for annual cover, and Direct TRavel are good for single trips (although no use for annual cover for us now).

i used mpi for a season and i happened to loose my passport

i was fully reimbursed for my transport to paris and my emergency travel document to return to the uk - just sent them a form and the receipts - was very impressed with the service.
snow report
Of course there is always snowHead ski winter sport insurance, although I guess it's still being finalised, so a bit late for this coming season.........
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, naughty BUT I've heard the Snowheads Awards WILL HAPPEN (c Phil Keith)
latest report
 cran
cran
RussD wrote:
I'll look into a few of the others a bit later, but I suspect it's going to be hard for anyone to beat £140 for (most of) the season.

MPI quoted me £85 for the season last year... They cover off piste and fun parks.

That was without baggage and cancellation cover which doubles the price and is not needed if doing a season.

But in the end I just went with carte neige (29€) and EHIC (free) as the only thing the insurance added was repatriation which I had no need for.

If you do need extra cover check out MPI, they seemed to offer the best cover and at a good price when I looked in to it last year.
snow conditions
I know that there is no such thing as a free lunch but ....

http://www.natwest.com/private/black-membership/g2/travel-benefits/worldwide-travel-insurance.ashx

I'll soon be 70 and Its going to be ridiculously expensive to still get travel insurance let alone ski insurance ...

I've rung them and they assure me that it covers off pizza too.
(But don't take my word for it)
ski holidays
DrLawn, I'll bet there's a fairly low number of days winter sports included in that bank cover.
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
I know that there is no such thing as a free lunch but ....

http://www.natwest.com/private/black-membership/g2/travel-benefits/worldwide-travel-insurance.ashx

I'll soon be 70 and Its going to be ridiculously expensive to still get travel insurance let alone ski insurance ...

I've rung them and they assure me that it covers off pizza too.
(But don't take my word for it)

Well, I looked at the policy document.

Quote:
Off-piste skiing and snowboarding must be undertaken with a qualified instructor only.

Very restrictive.
snow report
and winter sports cover only applies for trips of 31 days or less - so no use to a seasonnaire, but quite good for ordinary holiday makers.
snow report
Ok everyone here are my thoughts and situation, please shout if I'm getting anything wrong.

My NatWest Black insurance has (as covered above) changed and fails to cover even regular off piste (dodging between or off the side of pistes) without a guide.

I do frequent off piste, occasional day tours, regular glacial skiing. 99% of the time with no guide but a n other. I ski mainly in France in and around the Mont Blanc Massif, but also other France & some Italy & Switzerland.

The Carte Neige won't repatriate me and has limited medical cover (though i have a UK EIHC), the Austrian Alpine has limited rescue cover (though rescue off MB is gratis).

My thinking is that i could slip between the cracks with either of these, eg NW Black would repatriate me but not if they knew an injury has been sustained on say the Vallee Blanche even though I had been rescued & treated in France on someone else tab.

So i am thinking i have to bite the bullet on joining BMC and buying ski cover (multi upto 45 days per trip), cost about £200 total.

Thoughts?
snow conditions
just to add the NW cover is an account benefit and will stay in place so there are no concerns about baggage cover or any of those kind of issues being a bit thin on the BMC cover.
ski holidays
Also check out Snowcard Annual Multisport Extreme Adventure:

http://www.snowcard.co.uk/activities-multi.php#extreme_adventure

which covers an unlimited period of winter sports including ski mountaineering.
snow conditions
Quote:

Snowcard Annual Multisport Extreme Adventure

that's the one that worked out best for me, all things considered.
ski holidays
The Snowcard stuff looks very professional, and would probably have been suitable, but they don't seem to insure for any trips longer than 90 days...

I went with MPI in the end, felt most comfortable with them and the price was fairly competitive. Thanks all for the advice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy