Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

crowds week of Dec 29 to Jan 5

Poster: A snowHead
I assume because of New Year's and the school holidays that this will be a crowded week. For people with experience, how busy will it be? Any thoughts on places where the crowds might not be so big?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any where not in easy reach of a major city. The down side being long transfers.

Livigno? Not a large ski area tho.

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, it is busy and is my least favourite week to ski. (even Feb half term beats it in my book) Having said that, much depends on the snow - if it's an absolutely stonking start to the season and all the slopes are open and preferably there is good off piste to be had then, it's not too bad at all. If however it's a below average start and the hordes are being concentrated on relatively few lifts and slopes then it really is beyond 'orrible. Definitely stay away from the big French resorts as the French 'do' New Year rather than Xmas but as for where might be bearable, I'm sure someone with a more positive outlook will be along soon.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did Valloire a few years ago at New year and it was not overly busy, no queuing to speak of.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It will probably be the busiest week of the year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Definitely stay away from the big French resorts

Not sure I agree with that. I have been in Tignes five out of the last seven New Year weeks and never had a problem. It's busy of course but the ski area is enormous and the lift system is built to handle big numbers. And of course the altitude means that there is a decent chance of there being good snow by then.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chraya, I'd say your biggest problem will be getting flights and accommodation at this late stage.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'm sure someone with a more positive outlook will be along soon.

I'm here.
Quote:

Definitely stay away from the big French resorts

I agree with Bogusman, I'm not sure I agree with it either (actually I'm editting my post, I think I definitely don't agree with it!). I've new yeared in France quite a lot, mainly 3V but also Alpe d'huez quite a bit and La Plagne and Val d'isere. It is busier than christmas week and "all the usual bottlenecks" can get queues, but if you ski cleverly you can easily spend the whole period without meeting anything more than a few people and often even less than that!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chraya, I'd never go again at New year - mega crowded and also the greatest amoount of accidents and reckless / feckless skiing I've ever seen. But as others have said if you can pick somewhere a bit out of the way you might be OK.

St Moritz might work Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The only time I ever had a pleasant experience at NY was in Ste Foy, but that was many years ago before it was famous. Might still be worth a look.

If were to go again at NY I'd look for smaller resorts, maybe lower altitude too - snow seems good this year so it's not going to be too risky. When you get there I'd get on the lifts early, have lunch early and just accept that there'll be a few queue and don't stress it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am going to the 3 valleys, it will be busy, but I will be skiing, so I do not care. NehNeh
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://livecam.lesmenuires.com/ is the web cam today, so seems to be some snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I will be skiing, so I do not care

exactly Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've skied both Whistler and the 3V at New Year's, and while it was busy it definitely wasn't unbearable.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

but if you ski cleverly you can easily spend the whole period without meeting anything more than a few people and often even less than that!!

+1 to what andyrew, says. Have been in Serre Che, Les Arcs and 3V Mottaret at those times and it is ok. Avoid bottlenecks as has been said, and if you can't be prepared to queue. But nothing like in the main school holz IMO.
Enjoy. snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to pass on New Year's. I hate crowds. A 5 minute wait for a chairlift is too long for me. I'm looking at 3V the first week of Feb. instead and possibly Zermatt the first week of April.
snow conditions
I've been in St Anton and Saalbach for new year, busy but not all that bad.
ski holidays
chraya wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to pass on New Year's. I hate crowds. A 5 minute wait for a chairlift is too long for me. I'm looking at 3V the first week of Feb. instead and possibly Zermatt the first week of April.

If you really hate crowds then this is a good move. April trip to Zermatt sounds particularly appealing to me, keep meaning to do that Happy
latest report
If you hate crowds I wish you well coming out of those Zermatt cable cars onto pistes that seem to be three feet wide.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy