Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Lac or Val Claret ?

Poster: A snowHead
Which would be the better base for easy access to/from the slopes at lunchtime ? Going first week of April and will particularly be seeking out easy reds and bumps as that’s what my kids are most into at the moment. Le Lac appeals with more to do after skiing but seems harder to find decent places in 500ish euro price range than at Val Claret (maybe I’m just looking at the wrong websites ?) Will have hire car and a very early morning return to Geneva so underground parking nearby would be a major bonus, as would a boulangerie. Any pointers most appreciated, along with recommendations of apartment blocks to seek out or avoid.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there. Both Val Claret and Le Lac have pretty easy access to the slopes and would cater for everything you need it seems. Le Lac's access is all from the centre of the town (Aeroski and Palafour lifts) while Val Claret is spread over two levels and has 4 lifts going from the Grand Motte area and then Tuffs lift from the higher town level.

Val Claret tends to have more cheap self-catering accommodation than Le Lac so that may be the key decision maker? Boulangeries can be found in both towns.

Both have underground parking - but the Le Lac car park tends to fill up quickly, and the Val Claret one can be a short walk depending on where you are staying.

Hope that helps?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lac better if you have altitude sleep problems, Claret has better quick lunch stops. Claret has always been cheaper than Lac and Lavachette cheaper still for accom..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for replies. Now that you mention it I have tended to sleep better in lower altitude accommodation. Will carry on searching for Le Lac...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cynic, Are you referring to general level of noise in VC as opposed to altitude. There's less than 50 m differenec between the 2 villages.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chocksaway, Altitude difference, Claret is above the magic number and will affect sleep I assure you more than Lac.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cynic, I'm intrigued.........
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chocksaway wrote:
Cynic, I'm intrigued.........

+1

What is the magic number between Le Lac and Val Claret?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have never stayed in Val Claret, but stayed 3 times in Le Lac. The last two were at Chalet Planton (Now I believe owned by Village Montana). They are very good multi room family apartments with the option of being catered. They are ski in and ski out and importantly for you have their own free covered parking.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tigski, 3, that's the magic number
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tigski, You will have to ask Chewbacca I did do the research on all resort heights once but cannot remember the figures, but from experience and having a ski instructor partner HMS sensitive: Val d' OK, Lac borderline, Claret over, Les Menuires over, Val T over, Copper well over, Vail well over, Beaver Creek well over, Breckenridge super over. But if you take it easy for two days to acclimatise and don't drink very much alcohol for three days as they recommend in the states you should be OK; but who the fu+k wants to do that on a weeks thrash, stay in Lac if you are sensitive to altitude when you sleep.

As Colorado has just legalised the occasional spliff everyone should now be relaxed not just the tray boys and drift off in a cloud of hash smoke ahhhh.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cynic, Whilst there may be a magic number bandied around - this, like many rules of thumb, trivialises the science. Lets just say the magic number is 2100m then this will help AMS sufferers choose a resort - lets say you wanted to go to the 3V then clearly you would choose Meribel at 1450m rather than Val T at 2200m (all other things being equal).

However to suggest this magic number is somehow a cut off and there would be a significant difference between Lac and VC is wrong.

Its now going to get a bit scientific - you have been warned. Twisted Evil

Any altitude sickness is caused not by the physical altitude (ie measured with a ruler/theodolite/GPS) but the drop in atmospheric pressure (or pressure altitude) - which results in an equivalent drop in oxygen levels - the ultimate reason why airliners don't have windows that open and are pressurised to about 1500m. Other constituents also drop which is why your washing drys much quicker!

Simplifying slightly (with rounding) an ascent of 9 metres results in a drop of pressure of 1 millibar. So given a mean world sea level pressure of 1013mb (as defined by ICAO) the main Tignes resorts are at the following altitudes and pressure altitudes:

Les Brev 1550 metres 841mb
Les Boisses 1800 metres 813 mb
Le Lac 2095 metres 781mb
VC 2115 metres 778mb

So a negligble difference between Lac and VC (much less than 1% which your body is not going to notice). However, the rest of your scale is correct - especially Breckenridge when you come out of the Brewery (it is at a similar altitude to the top of the Tignes Funi)

You can also throw on top of this the sea level pressure of the day which often drops to 980mb at which point the pressure altitudes become

Brev 808mb
Boisses 780mb
Lac 748mb
VC 745 mb

So now you would have the same physiological effects in Boisses as you had in Lac on a 'standard' day. Of course this works in reverse - if you suffer then book a high pressure week as it will help (and the sun is more likely to be shining) snowHead

Acclimatisation of course helps as your body creates more red blood cells (which is why athletes train at altitude) for this you need iron - watercress being a good source (or a decent steak).

Tigski, Best you sell your top floor des res as it puts you as high as VC!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chocksaway,

Quote:

if you suffer then book a high pressure week as it will help

Now you've done it! Prepare yourself for a flood of posts asking what the atmospheric pressure will be in a particular resort on 12th March next year Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway, I have been in Tignes many many times, if I have been given a mini box high in the S/C apartment blocks in Claret, I cannot sleep, next day I sleep in Lac I can, and it reverts when I go back to the box in Claret next day. I do wobble a bit at the top of the Motte mate cable car so perhaps I am the sensitive type. By day 3 it is OK.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There will be no difference staying between VC and Le Lac as far as altitude effects, the prevailing atmospheric pressure will have a greater difference as will which floor of a high rise you are staying on.
snow report
And I believed Dr John! Or was that the number of buses between the two after 7pm.

CYNIC. I didn't realise there were any sensitive types on here, apart from me of course. Tends to be dehydration that disturbs my sleep in the first few days. I also wobble occasionally early season on the Motte, mainly in poor light though.

Back to the OP. Both Lac and VC offer good access to the pistes at all times of the day compared to most other resorts, so you would be fine in either. Obviously some buildings can have a bit more of a walk. If in doubt someone on here will be able to advise on location.

Hitting the road to Luton now for a morning flight. See some off you in Le Lac tomorrow night.
ski holidays
Quote:

See some off you in Le Lac tomorrow night.

I assume in the Alpaka on Monday ?
latest report
Cynic, what a lot of cobblers. I don't doubt that some people suffer from altitude sleep issue, but 50m out of 2000? Give me a break.
snow report
Dr John, That would be just John then
snow conditions
Cynic, Dr John, Uncle T Bar, and all: if we were being properly scientific then we would be quoting references rather than something we heard last week down the pub.
A good place to start is Google. Try "Altitude Sickness and Magic Number". Among the dross you will find at least 2 useful hits.
First: http://voices.yahoo.com/retiring-mexico-think-high-altitude-sickness-591373.html?cat=70 which does actually use the term Magic Number in relation to Acute Mountain Sickness, namely 8000ft, or 2438.4 metres. The author offers no references for this.
Second: http://www.altitude.org/altitude_sickness.php. This suggests the danger zone starts at 2500 metres (very close to the previous article). There is a reference. It also points out that the effective altitude in most commercial aircraft is 2500 metres.
ski holidays
Jonpim, Has it been peer reviewed? Sorry thought I was at work for a moment.
snow conditions
Cynic wrote:
Quote:

See some off you in Le Lac tomorrow night.

I assume in the Alpaka on Monday ?

Sunday tomorrow. L'Embuscade or Alpaka.

Normally the Jam Bar on a Monday.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
Cynic, Dr John, Uncle T Bar, and all: if we were being properly scientific then we would be quoting references rather than something we heard last week down the pub.

Quoting references to state that there is no effective difference between Val CLaret and Le Lac is not needed, it is stating the blindingly obvious there is a 20 m difference in altitude between the two . Both will have an official height in the midde of the village but as both places stretch up and downhill a bit and as much of the accommodation is in high rise considerably more than 20M high if there is a possible difference it will depend on where you stay within the villages rather than the difference between them.

If you want a quote the wiki article is well referenced and states that altitude sickness can occasionally come on at lower altitudes of around 2000M which is in agreement with what I have read elsewhere but haven't the time to look up at present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness#Auer07
snow conditions
What happens if you have an appartment on the ground floor in Val Claret or a top floor appartment in Le Lac!! Does it make any difference?
latest report
Yeah - about €50,000 Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy