Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for best route from Flaine to Engelberg Switzerland by car

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, has anybody driven from Flaine or any nearbyish resort to Engelberg Switzerland I have to drive there in 2 weeks & was looking for the best route rather than just relying on the satnav & then hearing I should have gone that way

If anyone has a recommendation I would appreciate it, cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i've done Geneva to Andermatt and I just had to suck it up and go via Berne. It's a long way round but it is motorway most of the way. The other "obvious" route requires taking a train through a tunnel to Andermatt
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flaine- Chamonix - Martigny - Brig - car Train

Not necessarily much faster, but more fun.

Requires open Col des Montets and motor rail...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I may try daytrip to Verbier from les Carroz sometime by road this winter. To monitor Col des Montets try http://www.chamonix.com/road-conditions,10,en.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mutley, Long old drive but essentially Geneva-Lausanne-Bern then you have a choice the boring (but faster) route up via Olten then down to Lucern and Stans or the pretty route via Interlaken and Stans, mileage wise there's very little in it, but the Interlaken route will take somewhat longer as there is less motorway driving.

I'm not convinced that the tunnel route would be any better yo'd still have to go from Andermatt back up to Lucern and then down again
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf wrote:
Mutley, Long old drive but essentially Geneva-Lausanne-Bern then you have a choice the boring (but faster) route up via Olten then down to Lucern and Stans or the pretty route via Interlaken and Stans, mileage wise there's very little in it, but the Interlaken route will take somewhat longer as there is less motorway driving.

I'm not convinced that the tunnel route would be any better yo'd still have to go from Andermatt back up to Lucern and then down again

Why? Train goes from Brig or Furka, can't recall to just about Andermatt.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name, Like I said you still have to drive from Andermatt to Engelberg, that means going all the way along lake Lucern until you get to Stans and then coming back down the next valley to Engelberg, which is a good hour and a bit's journey on it's own

Even assuming the Col is open it's about 3 hours to Brig from Flaine and then you have the fun and expense of getting on and off the train, all in it makes it as long as going the scenic rote via Interlaken, if not longer, if the col isn't open it's another 40 mins going via Geneva

Mutley, don't forget to get a Swiss Motorway Vignette
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Guys thanks for the options I will take a look this weekend & choose the best route, really appreciate the suggestions I know its about 250 miles each way but was hoping I had missed a shorter route LOL Laughing but guess not, hey ho son needs collecting Shocked Razz
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mutley, You are almost crossing Switzerland land of narrow dead end valleys and deep lakes, there are only a limited number of ways to go, if you just want to go there and back as easy as possible take the motorways to Lucern/Stans It should take about 4 Hours (each way) depending on weather, if you'd prefer a more scenic route an extra 40 mins (roughly) will go Via Interlaken where you get some great views of the lakes and mountains, I'd not bother going via the tunnel, it will not reduce your driving time but will add to your journey time, the only difference being that you get a short rest from the driving whilst the car is on the train.

In bad weather or night I'd definitely use the motorway route, I think in good weather (because I know the area you'd be passing through) and daylight I'd probably take a round trip and at least take the scenic route in one direction
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy