Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

100 units per week.......

Poster: A snowHead
According to an article in the latest edition of Fall Line Magazine your average Brit will consume 100 units in their annual ski jolly. Seems like a fair wack to me.

I'd be keen to see what your average seasonnaire consumes also. My liver aches just thinking about it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Couple of pints of strong continental lager and most of bottle of chalet plonk a day *7 plus a couple of big nights. Fairly easy to do I'd have thought. 100 units a week is a seaonnaire on detox.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, is about spot on, if i am under 100 units in a week, particularly if its catered including wine with dinner then i feel cheated. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having seen Snowheads in Val Thorens struggling back, night after night, to their lodgings carrying huge packs of cheap continental lager I would suggest 100 units is a bit of an insult to their manhood.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd say I drink no more than half that - and that's a lot for me now. The government's recommendation is more like a quarter (but that's regular rather than a jolly).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 6-12-12 20:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A guy I work with drinks a minimum of 2 bottles of wine a night.... He came in last week and told us he had a bad hangover after a particularly heavy night of drinking, he had drunk a whole bottle of vodka to himself on top of the 2 bottles of wine Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
100 units for a lads week away seems fair enough.........snowball, I really don't care what the governments recommendation is as they are bloody clueless about most things and deserve to be ignored anyway. In fact my recommendations for the government ministers are start consuming 100 units per week and then I might think they're in touch with reality. Sorry for political rant...i'm off to refill my wine glass Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can all have my share, I just like going to restaurants with nice shiny bog window sills.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

A guy I work with drinks a minimum of 2 bottles of wine a night.... He came in last week and told us he had a bad hangover after a particularly heavy night of drinking, he had drunk a whole bottle of vodka to himself on top of the 2 bottles of wine

He is in the trough of addiction and needs help and is signaling he needs it, if he begins to climb the sides again you won't save him
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can go weeks without alcohol at home, which noone believes because I run a pub!
On holiday I'll have a beer with lunch (2.5units) a couple of beers b4 dinner (5 units) a couple of glasses of wine or beer with dinner (5units) and maybe a couple of liquer coffees or bacardi/cokes after (4units), we always take a small hip flask of sambuca or similar on mountain (4units) thats a minimum of 120 units whilst away, I don't consider that excessive. I guess its a lot in comparison to what I am used to, far less than a lot of my customers on a normal week, yet I'm never aware of feeling drunk nor do I get a hangover. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Standard ski week tariff:

Lunch

Serieux x1 = 3 units
50cl pichet de rouge = 4 units

Post-ski/pre-chalet snifter

Serieux x1 = 3 units

Aperitif

G&T x 2 = 4 units

Dinner

Bottle of red = 8 units

Daily subtotal = 22 units

Weekly total = 154 units
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
100 units? sounds about right for an EoSB Vodka Party!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Over the course of a week's ski holiday I'd probably have 7 glasses of wine, 4 or 5 glühweins, maybe 2 or 3 shots of some sort (schapps or whatever) and maybe 2 or 3 'Radlers' (shandy). I make that approximately 20 units. So way more than I would normally drink (usually 5-10 units per month).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
Over the course of a week's ski holiday I'd probably have 7 glasses of wine, 4 or 5 glühweins, maybe 2 or 3 shots of some sort (schapps or whatever) and maybe 2 or 3 'Radlers' (shandy). So way more than I would normally drink (usually under 5 units per month).

Haha, I misread that as every day , and thought I would be arseholed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Filthyphil30k, I'm rubbish at drinking. It doesn't agree with me at all.
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
Filthyphil30k, I'm rubbish at drinking. It doesn't agree with me at all.

It's quite bad for people so good for you, its not big or clever, but I do enjoy a beer or 5.
snow report
Cynic, he's beyond help i fear.... the guy had an episode 2 years ago where he completely blacked out at the wheel of his vehicle which was alcohol related. He did stop for a while but is back off the wagon again! He refuses to go to the doctors about the matter even though he constantly shakes until he's a had a drink Also it was more of a 'boast' than a call for help, which is the sad thing Sad
snow report
Cynic wrote:
You can all have my share, I just like going to restaurants with nice shiny bog window sills.

Puzzled That went right over my head, my OH had to explain it to me. Embarassed

snowHead
latest report
ArgyleSki, 100 units a week??????????? Cold Turkey to me.

A bottle of Stolly a day keeps the liver okay!!!!!!!!!!!! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
tomb wrote:
A guy I work with drinks a minimum of 2 bottles of wine a night.... He came in last week and told us he had a bad hangover after a particularly heavy night of drinking, he had drunk a whole bottle of vodka to himself on top of the 2 bottles of wine Shocked

that isn't good at all. Problems at work, driving, family stuff as well? I'd suspect so. He is a mess.
latest report
tomb wrote:

Hope you guys are not brain surgeons.
latest report
fatbob wrote:
100 units a week is a seaonnaire on detox.

Funny you say that, little Miss SB came home from her first season last spring and complained that when she went out on the lash with her "normal" mates in Somerset she couldn't get p1ssed and oddly remained frighteningly sober .

Even more scary............she's a barmaid in The Frog in VT this year and I really can't afford The Priory ............
ski holidays
I've just worked out that on one bar crawl night alone I could easily have racked up 39 units, so 100 a week does not seem unrealistic. I miss Mayrhofen........
latest report
Standard beer at lunch, bottle of Plonk de Rouge with dinner and then if its a night out on the après scene at least 4-5 vodkas.

Average over a week must easily be more than a 100 units.

You're on holiday, let your hair down I say! snowHead
snow report
Try 6 or 7 pints of wine a night for a season. I'm glad I have cut back to nothing during the summer and this season I don't have the urge to drink like a seasonaire.
snow report
Dwarf Vader, go big or go home dude Cool
latest report
Fast Eddie's got it about spot-on. Well. For me, anyway. 150 units for a week is pretty fair. Followed by a good few days off the sauce to give my liver a break.
snow report
It's already been said but it's not that much. I know plenty of guys at uni who'll regularly bin a bottle of vodka, 26.5 units, and then start 'drinking'. If you do it properly for long enough you just start to develop a bit of a tolerance innit?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I don't have the urge to drink like a seasonaire.

I think you are using the wrong name the seasonaires I know are mostly tight trying to finance their stay in their own places they own, they are seasonaires because they live there every season, I think you mean workers.
snow report
After a season I have a craving for beer around 4. It does wear off.
snow conditions
I don`t touch booze during the day; altitude, dehydration, and sports holiday not the best combo. If I was surfing, I wouldn`t dream of it, so why do it skiing? By the evening, one or two drinks is enough to send me off Zzzzzzzz. Still, I burnt the candle at both ends in my youth, had 2 friends die of liver failure, so there you go ! Do it whilst you are young, but you look a knob if you are still doing it in your 40`s.
snow report
That's not going to be popular round here.
latest report
Don't tend to drink much during the day when I'm skiing, by that I mean no alcohol at lunch.

I do like a few apres beers, then wine with dinner and a few more beers. I try to stay off the jagerbombs though or I can't sleep! I'm sure I get through well over 150 units in a week's skiing, then have to stay off alcohol for a week afterwards to recover.

I don't drink at all during the week when I'm at home.

The drinking is far heavier in Austria than France though.
latest report
Just out of interest, how much are people spending to get to 100-150 units a week? Does that add up to a lot?
snow report
cstreat, I'd agree with most of that. But even the skiers on my holidays who drink a fair amount more than me don't drink at lunch time. It doesn't go with skiing seriously, it seems to me.
I love the taste of many drinks (particularly a good wine or single malt whisky) but drinking more than a little you stop appreciating the taste. I've just never understood the attraction of drinking a lot anyway - but then I have never enjopyed the feeling of being more than minimally under the influence.
snow report
Piccadilly wrote:
Don't tend to drink much during the day when I'm skiing, by that I mean no alcohol at lunch.

I do like a few apres beers, then wine with dinner and a few more beers. I try to stay off the jagerbombs though or I can't sleep! I'm sure I get through well over 150 units in a week's skiing, then have to stay off alcohol for a week afterwards to recover.

I don't drink at all during the week when I'm at home.

The drinking is far heavier in Austria than France though.

That sounds about right for me too....except for the jaegerbomb bit.....and the not drinking at home during the week....oh, and the odd Williams
snow report
Oh, yes, and the lunchtime thing too...
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
cstreat, I'd agree with most of that. But even the skiers on my holidays who drink a fair amount more than me don't drink at lunch time. It doesn't go with skiing seriously, it seems to me.

we had a guide in Chamonix who almost force fed us genepi at lunchtime on the basis that it was scientifically proven to make you ski better Laughing
snow report
Arno, I do think a drink around the lunch break is not a bad thing, it loosens up tied legs and just makes you ski better.
snow report
I don't tend to bother at lunchtime, but a couple of beers/gluhwein late afternoon, bottle of wine between us at dinner (if we're buying), more than one bottle between us (if we're on chalet board!!), maybe a beer or two afterwards - easily get to 100 units.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy