Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski length

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all...first post, be gentle!

After walking past all the cheap sale gear this summer (d'oh!) and with 2 trips booked this year, I have decided the time has come to finally buy my own skis. To be honest, I'm not bothered about any purchase being the latest gear, so I'm quite prepared to go second hand if it's good kit that been looked after.

I've been offered some 2007 Volkl AC3s at around the £150 mark including bag, poles and bindings, and I'm fairly happy that they should be right for my ability...which is as follows...

Fast intermediate
Starting to carve
90% piste with the odd cheeky cut-through or shortcut
Love big fast reds
Starting to love the odd powder day
If I'm going to bin it or get the heebiegeebies it will be on some narrow icy run at the end of the day (my least favourite) rather than a steep black where I can take my time and turn when I feel like it!

I'm about 14st and 5'11". I've always hired, and had everything from Dynastar Outland 165s to Volkl Race Tiger 173s. The AC3s I've been offered are 165s...so my question is, will these skis at what I consider the shorter end of the spectrum work for me, or should I be looking longer? I'm thinking speeeeeeeeeed but also can't help thinking that a couple of weeks on my own shortish skis would really help my short turns. However would I carve better on longer ones?

Or if the AC3s aren't right, what should I be looking at?

Thoughts please guys...many thanks!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiain, I am thinking they are too short and too soft

and probably a little piste oriented for what you aspire to.

My mother in law, 5'5" and trim, but hardly aggressive skis AC4s in 160cms and likes them ...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiain, I've some race tigers my stats are similar to yours, I think mine are 178. I found them just right for both short and long rads. I am thinking of selling them if your interested. I bought them to use on a course for which they were fantastic but my weapons are a bit wider these days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick reply!

TBH, in terms of aspirations, I'm quite happy with my 90% piste orientation...I normally ski with a group of friends and I can't see that changing for a while...and if it did I'd probably be looking to hire powder skis for the day...but I've never done it yet and if I'm honest it's fairly unlikely. I really would rather have a piste oriented ski that wasn't totally hopeless if the pistes got a good dumping of the fluffy stuff overnight.

Re stiffness, I had the AC3s down as a quite stiff, good intermediate/advanced ski...is this not the case or has stuff moved on?

But yeah, it's the lengths that is the concern...but I did find the 173s a bit big...should I be aiming at around 170?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

My mother in law, 5'5" and trim, but hardly aggressive skis AC4s in 160cms and likes them ...

I am 65, 5'5", "trim but hardly aggressive" and ski Rossignol Attraxion 6, of about that vintage, in 164cms and like them very much (bought second hand, £100).

That sounds quite a lot, actually, for skis that old. I have a friend who has them and bought them new for about that, some years ago.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jbob...that reply crossed. Thanks, but as you can see from previous I'd find 178 a bit much and would probably get spooked by them on the narrow stuff.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go bigger rather than shorter. Your skiing will improve and you'll adjust to a ski if it's slightly longer whereas you'll regret getting a ski that's too short and may hinder progression.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you describe yourself as a fast intermediate and love big fast reds then a longer ski should give you more stability and confidence at speed. If you find them intimmidating on the narrow paths at the end of the day, just snowplough - it's not just for beginners!

I'm 5'10'' but about 17st and have been skiing Dynastar Sultan 85's in 184cm for the last couple of years - they're a fairly heavy, stiff ski and 184 is the longest I'd go on anything but they're very confidence-inspiring at speed and just as good between the pistes. I wouldn't say you should look that long/heavy as you're considerably lighter than I am but don't immediately dismiss anything around 176-178 as too long.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiain, AC3s are really quite soft. I would suggest you want something stiffer and longer.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
Skiain, AC3s are really quite soft. I would suggest you want something stiffer and longer.

That is the story of Skiain's life Smile

Skiain - more pistes open in Val!

Edited to add, Skiainget your self over here:-

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612&start=2400
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jma wrote:
If you find them intimmidating on the narrow paths at the end of the day, just snowplough - it's not just for beginners!

Agreed. My body doesn't appreciate the snowplough position much, but I still use it on overcrowded narrow paths from time to time. Safety trumps looking 'kewel'.

Skiain, for your weight and ability the following guides suggest a ski length of 170-175 cm for piste skis. All three would suggest a length of about 163 cm for me, which is my perfect size for non-rockered piste skis.
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/content/ski-buyers-guide.aspx
http://www.snowandrock.com/ski-ski-buying-guide/content/fcp-content
http://media.rossignol.com//international/sizes/Alpine-Ski-1415.pdf

I would suggest taking the time to find skis that really suit you, rather than plunging in and buying some without testing. You'll thank yourself for being patient when you buy some that really help you to progress.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was surprised at the variety of performance between skis at the Tamworth ski test. Even with the short length of the snowdome I noticed quite a difference between skis.
I tried the Volkl kendo and blizzard brahma which would suit.
I had chance to chat with the ski technicians which would suggest that at 14st a 180 + ski may be too long.
Poss a 174 'ish would be more suitable.
Although it is all down to taste, on cruddy days I still defer back to my 163 Atomics, leaving my 168 at home...
Test a few, if you can.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
a second for the blizzard brahma's , i moved up from skiing mid - low 160's to 173's and have never looked back , one of the best all mountian skis out there . Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would hope after 2 years waiting that @Skiain had indeed plunged in and made a decision.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, Unfortunately he plumped for a pair of 210 DH's and was last seen getting airborne on a roller at Tignes. It is believed that he achieved escape velocity Shocked
ski holidays
Ha! Thread resurrection!

Well, I ignored all the advice and bought a pair of cheapies from Decathlon. OK, so I did some "research" by reading the reviews from my iPhone in the aisle at the store, but I'm actually really pleased with what I got.

I ended up with Head Integrale 005s in a 170cm, and they are actually pretty much bang on for what I wanted at the time. IIRC with poles and a bag they were about £150 or something daft, and with an RRP of £325 I just had to do it! The length is perfect for me, and I know I've really progressed on them over the last four or five trips. They are now sat in my front room, freshly serviced, and hoping to find a bit of decent snow in Val over Xmas!

However, I do now want to do a bit more off piste (although Xmas is looking bloody unlikely for that!) so I might end up with something a bit fatter at some point. Probably hire in resort first and aim to pick something up in the sale.

I have to say, whilst it's nice to hire the latest ski every year, I do think there's a lot of BS when it comes to ski technology (same as every other technical sport I play) and it's much better IMHO to just get on a ski you already know and send it.
latest report
@Skiain, Yup, as long as you get on with the ski then you can adapt and develop in partnership with it Smile My last new skis before this year were quite old, I had done a huge amount of skiing on them over the previous 6-7 years and I never felt the need to get anything newer. But they were perfect for me at the time and that continued, they are still my general all round ski and touring set up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy