Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm looking for some advice. We ski ever year with a large group of mixed ability, we usually ski the big French Circus resorts, the skiing is more important than the night life.

This year there is a possibility that I can sneak an extra week in with my brother in law. So I'm looking for ideas of where to go. Because this will be a 3rd holiday in the year I need to keep the costs in control, I'm looking for recommendations for a resort with a good value ski pass and accommodation, needs to have blues and reds (not worried about greens or blacks). A couple of bars would be great, not bothered about style of accommodation.

Any ideas ? Where would you go ?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any preferences for date and country? DIY or TO?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dobby wrote:
Any preferences for date and country? DIY or TO?

Date will probably be end of January. DIY, so just looking for resort and/or accommodation recommendations. Open to ideas about country, but needs to be Europe rather than USA/Canada.Thanks
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Schladming. Good value. Mainly blues and reds. A few bars but not all out Après Ski, good value accommodation, easy transfer of about an hour from Salzburg.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Plagne or Flaine?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is sneaking away with the brother in law a clandestine clue on resort entertainment needed?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cynic wrote:
Is sneaking away with the brother in law a clandestine clue on resort entertainment needed?

Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc wrote:
La Plagne or Flaine?

+1

or even Valloire and Valmeinier
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cynic wrote:

i wish Razz
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc wrote:
La Plagne or Flaine?

Go to Belle Plagne every year with family including BIL, looking for other options. Not been to Flaine since the 80's with school, will take a look. Thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't forget the smaller (cheaper) villages around the Flaine ski area.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I found some very good value DIY apartments in Le Grand Bornand via owners direct and got cheap flights into Geneva in the past. Another advantage is that it is a short transfer time keeping those costs down.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In Les Sybelles there are some great deals in January which involve buying the ski pass and getting the accommodation thrown in for free. Les Sybelles is a less well known ski area in Savoie, but has 6 resorts that are linked creating 310km of linked runs. There are some really good areas for beginners such as St Sorlin d'Arves. Plenty of SC facilities, but no catered chalets to the best of my knowledge, but lots of good and relatively inexpensive restaurants. The bookings central Destinations Sybelles has English speaking staff who could assist in getting quotes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heferrer, welcome to snowHeads - nice first post snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flaine or Les Contamines in France or somewhere near Innsbruck could be a good option.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
I found some very good value DIY apartments in Le Grand Bornand via owners direct and got cheap flights into Geneva in the past. Another advantage is that it is a short transfer time keeping those costs down.

Or book direct with a French agent? These guys in La Clusaz were good when we used the three years ago.

http://www.arvis-immo.fr/fr/location/biens-en-location.html

There are bound to be others if you search immobilier and a resort. Also might be worth looking at youth hostels if you want cheapish. Fuaj.org, I think. One or two are in the mountains. You can ski out and very nearly back to the one in La Clusaz but it's a way out of the village and the bus stops early.
ski holidays
Flaine would certainly fit the bill - virtually guaranteed snow, nice small town with a few bars (white and black grouse probably 2 of the better ones), ski door to door most of them, cheap-ish apartments there too, right next to the lifts. Huge ski area with some cracking reds on it - cheeky wee faust anyone?
ski holidays
wadgebeast, Faust is one of my favourite runs! Smile
snow report
Thanks everyone, got half a dozen options now.
snow report
landlockedpirate, got our last twin room available, B&B, up to Thursday 31st Jan. Boys group arrive that day, but you could ski late and take a late transfer, no problem.
Short transfers, great skiing areas, choice of fast food joints or anything up to €50/60 a head a la carte restaurants in Morzine town.
Contact Nina for a snowHead 's price. Remind her I said so Very Happy
Paul.
ski holidays
What about Sainte Foy? Dinky little resort with cult off-piste, cheapish accommodation and what has to be one of the cheapest lift passes in the Alps. You'll ski it in a couple of days - but it's close to several of the biggies and your lift pass will get you a discount off day passes in Paradiski and the Espace Killy.

Otherwise, not off the beaten track but I know this place is available in last week of Jan: http://www.peakservices.co.uk/selfcatered_LesHameauxdeVal_Sleeps4.aspx

We've used Peak Services before, very nice apartments and they'll take good care of you. And I'm surprised by how much cheaper EK lift passes are than the other megaliths.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy