Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche in Tignes....

Poster: A snowHead
.... hope everyone is ok.

http://www.tignesnet.com/events/news/off-piste-skiers-caught-in-avalanche-in-tignes.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 injured, one seriously in hospital. Were very close to piste apparently. Be careful out there folks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just posted this in the Off-piste section. One of the skiers was buried for 40 mins an had to be resuscitated but he's alive, the other skier was under for 15 mins and was unconscious.

http://alpes.france3.fr/2012/12/05/deux-personnes-retirees-d-une-avalanche-tignes-savoie-158781.html

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 5-12-12 16:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i heard one was in a bad way, a couple of people from our group went to help with the rescue, rumour is that no one had transceivers on and all were rescued but possibly one unaccounted for ....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From Planetski

We have just been sent a statement by the resort.

"Two persons were caught in an avalanche this morning at 11 :29 am. The first one had been found quickly, just unconscious, and is now well and at home. The second one is most seriously injured and is actually on her way to the hospital of Grenoble. The ski patrols from Tignes and Val d'Isère and the skiing instructors from Tignes were all on the spot to find them as fast as they can but the victims were not equipped with detectors," said the statement.

It happened near the top of the aeroski lift above Tignes Le Lac.

The identities and nationalities of the victims have not been released but it is thought they are in their 20s.

Hundreds of people helped in the search operation.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We've been in touch with the snowheads out there for the PSB - all snowheads accounted for, word is the group were UCPA people
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I skied down that way on the piste and we saw the search as we went back up the Aeroski lift. There were a lot of people searching with probes. Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nbt, Yes, according to the French report they were staying at the UPCA and wanted to train as ski instructors this winter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh dear, how very sad. With the amount of snow that's already come down, and more on the way, this probably won't be the last report of people caught in an avalanche. Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geepee Which slope avalanched? One of the steeper aspects? We skied off piste from the top of Toviere last Saturday - but stuck to the gentler piste-side stuff. (We're back in the UK now.)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great that more people are interested in off-piste but please can everyone read the safety suggestions from those that know on when to ski what, for instance steep after heavy overnight snowfall on no base.

Having read French report the group were UCPA and being vocationally trained as instructors with, a qualified Instructor so ignore above??

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 5-12-12 16:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict, It was almost under the Aeroski lift fairly close to the top.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geepee wrote:
mountainaddict, It was almost under the Aeroski lift fairly close to the top.

Or to the left as you look up coming down towards Lavachette, known to be avalanche prone. Or in the Fingers also v steep.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2012/12/05/tignes-une-avalanche-emporte-trois-skieurs

Sounds like a French girl died.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Google translate:

Two skiers were taken Wednesday morning, 11 am to 30 by an avalanche at Tignes. They moved in the off-piste Tovière, on the north side, below the top line of the Aeroski when they were surprised by the casting. The Tignes ski patrol have come to their rescue, accompanied by some of their colleagues and Val d'Isere ski station. The helicopter has Modane it could not take off because of bad weather. Both buried victims, both aged about twenty years, were finally found at the very end of the morning. The first was found unconscious but soon regained consciousness. The second victim is a woman. She was, she, cardio-respiratory arrest but could not be revived. She was taken to hospital in Grenoble. A third person was with the two victims, but it has not been buried.
snow report
Oh sad news Sad
snow conditions
Schuss in Boots, hmmm a salutory lesson NOT to trust Google translate. The article reads:

Quote:
Elle était, elle, en arrêt cardio-respiratoire mais a pu être réanimée.

i.e. she *was* revived.

There was a third person with them who was not avalanched (and presumably raised the alarm)
snow report
The Tignes UCPA is still closed so if it was a UCPA group, they would have been staff. The centre manager is in Flaine this week but if I hear any news from UCPA, I will pass it on.
ski holidays
eng_ch, Brilliant Very Happy Very Happy I'd just found a conflicting report and having posted that, was desperately searching for more info... thanks. Although, sH reports from Tignes are saying a french girl died so here's hoping you are right (as is the correct translation).
ski holidays
Translated French Report

The two young skiers rescued, aged twenty years, a young woman, believed to be dead, had finally "a light pulse." Miraculously, after heart messages supported, while his heart is left she had just spent 40 minutes in the snow . The victim was initially transported by road to the hospital in Bourg-Saint-Maurice before being recovered to 3:00 p.m., by men for civil security who supported in a helicopter up at Grenoble University. His days are still in danger. The other victim spent 15 minutes in the snow before being pulled unconscious. He then regained consciousness and was able to be transported to the medical center of Tignes-Le-Lac. A third man was present. It was just 'pushed' by casting and gets a good fright. Both youth attending vocational training UCPA in order to become an instructor. The third man was, in fact, their supervisor.
snow conditions
Scampi Dellahanti wrote:
The Tignes UCPA is still closed so if it was a UCPA group, they would have been staff. The centre manager is in Flaine this week but if I hear any news from UCPA, I will pass it on.

The UCPA have been running Test Technique and Eurotest training.
latest report
Whatever the translations say/dont say the pisteures gave CPR to one victim for about 1 hour, whilst the search continued, and then continued with CPR whilst the person was transported down the mountain.

A pretty grim afternoon. Hopefully they will all be ok.
latest report
Bad news day and it will be interesting to get the full report, about the circumstances of the whole incident.

Thoughts are with those that are under Medical care.
latest report
Horrible news....hope everyone involved is ok.
Sad
snow conditions
stewart woodward, obviously I can only comment on the translations of third hand reports, which will always be trumped by those on the ground. Always a salutary lesson when the mountains we love bite back Sad
snow report
Is that the same as this?

Quote:
1,5 Meter snow in 2 days, lots of wind, avalanche risk 4, a 35 - 40 degree rocky off piste slope, a group of young people (ski instructor education), NOBODY HAD AN AVALANCHE TRANSCEIVER!!!!! and the ski instructor trainer gave the OK to ski the slope!!!! massive avalanche and one girl is still in a very serious situation ;(

From Eva Walkners facebook.

'Cos if that's ture, from the safety of my beanbag, it sounds like they were being Be Nice please! stupid.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 5-12-12 20:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
clarky999, Yes, same incident.
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots, Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, One of the reports said that they were skiing down a closed piste rather than 'off piste'. Two snowHeads skied down the piste that the avalanche landed on just a few moments before it triggered, they went straight to the lift and went up again and by the time they went over the site, there were people there with probes etc. The piste that they'd just skied down was covered and would've taken out anyone who'd been on it, reportedly. Of course, I'm just reporting what I've heard/read, the usual riders about not giving first hand info apply.
ski holidays
Quote:

One of the reports said that they were skiing down a closed piste rather than 'off piste'.

Presumably the small print in insurance policies which requires prudence etc and not skiing against local advice would mean that an insurance company could legitimately wash their hands of anyone skiing on a "closed piste"? We've had this discussion before but maybe worth bringing it up again, in the context of this horrible accident. When a British snowboarder was avalanched in Tignes, about this time of year, several years ago, their families were stuck with the bill for search and rescue, IIRC.
snow report
Quote:
When a British snowboarder was avalanched in Tignes, about this time of year, several years ago, their families were stuck with the bill for search and rescue, IIRC.
pam w: IIRC, the 'Family stuck with costs' story related to the final day of the season in Tignes, when a couple of British seasonnaires decided to round off the season by skiing the notoriously avalanche prone and dangerous north face of the Grande Motte glacier Puzzled
snow report
Well after getting some more detail on this it just looks like a big Cluster F*&k on the part of the instructor. Bad decision making with poorly equipped students and thankfully some competent and good rescuers.

Really even if you were planning on staying on piste in those weather conditions the people on the course should at the very minimum had beacons on.

My thoughts are with the family of the injured and credit to the rescue party including those form Snoworks courses who assisted.
snow report
I was quite envious of people on the PSB, I'm not so much anymore Sad
latest report
mountainaddict, the incident I am thinking of was actually in Val D'Isere I think, in December 2005 - two snowboarding brothers, one was killed. Not sure whether there were SAR costs involved there - I might be getting confused with that later one.
snow report
Just read Eva's Facebook and can't believe this.....2-3 days into the season with an unstable snow base and allegedly a UCPA guide takes a poorly equipped party down a closed piste and this happens. What's going on?
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
When a British snowboarder was avalanched in Tignes, about this time of year, several years ago, their families were stuck with the bill for search and rescue, IIRC.
pam w: IIRC, the 'Family stuck with costs' story related to the final day of the season in Tignes, when a couple of British seasonnaires decided to round off the season by skiing the notoriously avalanche prone and dangerous north face of the Grande Motte glacier Puzzled

Not sure your comments are quite correct, take the time to read a little. Here's a couple of articles relating to the incident you refer to
http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0958-avalanche-families-long-wait-for-closure/

and here the father of one of the victims talks about their battle with the insurance company involved. Scroll down to reply #13
http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/which-insurance-policy-works-best-you

Some more info on todays incident and links back to Henry's avi warnings a few days ago.
http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/blog
latest report
A group, allegedly, dipped off to the side of a major lift in low viz.

Got caught in a white wave.

Sounds provisionally, allegedly, like part-dodgy trail management, part-dodgy instruction.

A photo of the avvy search is posted on PlanetSki.
ski holidays
Whatever the cause, I hope all involved recover. It does sound like poor judgement given the warnings abou avalanches. As others have commented, the recent considerable snowfall will probably lead to many more slides in the next few weeks.

I must say, we're considering getting transceivers and kit for this year, even though we are rarely off-piste, you can get caught on piste as well.
snow conditions
this is the incident I was thinking about - early season, EK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/4548510.stm
snow conditions
Scottish Scrutineer wrote:
Whatever the cause, I hope all involved recover. It does sound like poor judgement given the warnings abou avalanches. As others have commented, the recent considerable snowfall will probably lead to many more slides in the next few weeks.

I must say, we're considering getting transceivers and kit for this year, even though we are rarely off-piste, you can get caught on piste as well.

Whilst I recognise there must always be the possibility of avalanches on pisted runs I was under the impression that runs with much of a risk are generally closed. I just wondered what the chances of being caught out on well managed runs actually are ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy