Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Safari Gastein Valley Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I recently read somewhere that it is possible to ski/board from Zauchensee to Dorfgastein in the Gastein Valley. Unfortunately this was the only information that they gave other than it being a 70km trip.

I will be spending a week in Bad Gastein over christmas and would love to try this trip.
If anyone has any information on it or any similar trips in the area I would be very grateful.

Thanks guys.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dugg139, I guess piste wise it will be possible with buses or taxis. But not sure how long it will take.
If you have to come back all the way by taxi it might be expensive.

You will need bus to Dorfgastein.
Ski on the other side of the mountain to Grosarl.
Then bus (not sure if there are any) to Alpendorf.
Ski from Alpendorf to Wagrain.
Bus/taxi to Kleinarl.
Ski to Flachauwinkl. Then 2 min on "funny tractor bus" and you can ski to Zauchensee.
It will be a long day. I guess you will need a taxi back all the way.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dugg139, I don't know who told you that but without your own transport and friendly driver, you will be stuffed!

There are 2 places where you will need transport - from Kleinarl down to the Graffenberg lifts in Wagrain and from the bottom of the Stechbach lift at Alpendorf (St Johann im Pongau) to Großarl.

There is a bus from Kleinarl to Wagrain on a fairly regular basis in high season but not as frequent in low season. You can avoid this link by taking the more frequent bus from Flachauwinkel down to Flachau and linking across using the Flachau/Wagrain Flying Mozart lifts and the shuttle from the bottom of the Flying Mozart to the Graffenburg lifts (next season the cable car will cut this out). These run on a continuous basis and you never have to wait longer than 10 minutes at any time of the season.

The Stechbach slopes/lift are not always open as the owner of the land will not permit the use of snow cannons and nor will he allow either off-piste skiing or an upgrade to the lifts! Nasty bits of barbed wire mark where his land begins and he does not want you to ski by the way. Again there is a bus but it is not a very regular link in either direction.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your help guys. Obviously someone gave me the wrong information........... Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dugg139, I guess still doable and could be fun - if you have some spare Euros for taxis.
Anyway, lots of skiing in Gastein valley. We loved all the resorts there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm off to Bad Hof second week in Jan. So basically once you're over the hill from Dorfgastein and into Grossarl you're stuffed, is that correct?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RWDLYN, No, you can ski Großarl and then turn round and go back over the hill! snowHead

Getting on to the Postbus from Großarl to Alpendorf (St Johann I'm Pongau) is doable but getting back could be a problem and a long taxi ride if you stuff up!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd agree with Samerberg Sue there, if you do miss the last lift out of Grossarl to get you back to Dorfgastein, it is a heck of a long way home by road. The lift systems there are like one big ski area, just make sure you're on the right side of the hill when it's time to ski down! snowHead

The skiing above Dorfgastein and Grossarl is really nice and well worth the bus ride to Dorfgastein. Have fun!!

Cheers
Kersh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy