Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North Pennines 2012/13 - Allenheads, Harwood, Weardale and Yad Moss

Poster: A snowHead
I hope it hangs on for another few weeks- I'd like to get up before Spring finally arrives. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just back from a rather interesting ski at Yad Moss Smile.

- Weather: -1C at roadside, snowing/ferocious wind at top. Unbearable wind chill on exposed skin Skullie.
- Lower part of run (and back to the roadside): Thin cover/typical Pennine grass skiing.
- Top of main run: Drifted snow for first 10 metres or so.
- Upper/middle run: Refrozen/beyond boiler plate with pockets of windblown fresh. Surprisingly grippy, all things considered.
- Only about six people there.
- Very challenging in parts but, nevertheless, a fun trip out for our 12th day on Pennines snow this winter Very Happy
- Pics below:

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yad Moss again today Very Happy !

- Quite a lot of new snow overnight and skiing much improved.
- Some parts of the main run with good, fresh cover. Drifts building nicely against the fences.
- Other parts where the snow had blown straight off - sheet ice in evidence, like yesterday.
- Wind even wilder than yesterday at the top - in fact ridiculous Shocked. Blowing down the slope - so that was a bonus!
- Snow, fog, sun - sometimes all in the space of a few minutes....
- Had two runs - weather put in really badly for our last descent.
- Roads quite bad in parts for the first six or seven miles heading back into County Durham (covered roads and drifting).
- Good time had by all, as ever Very Happy.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heavy snow showers reaching yad Moss and the runs filling in quickly.

Tow scheduled to run tomorrow though there will be some pisting required first thing I would expect snowHead
http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snow-and-weather-report
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is that some double fence high drifts at the top or my dodgy eye sight ?? Gutted I am in Coventry tomorrow!!

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It certainly looks like mega drifts to me! I'm using my last hols of the year (to 31.3.13) to go to Tignes next week....but am desperately hoping to rejig some time that work owes me to get up there tomorrow afternoon (the tow is scheduled to be ON!). Mrs MA is already off all day tomorrow....so it's fingers (& everything) crossed..... Confused
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bad news kitenski....we had a cracking two and a bit hours at Yad Moss this afternoon Very Happy !

Main run full width at the top but, overall, about a piste basher width of packed powder, mainly next to the snow fences. Some sun too Smile! Narrow and thin towards the bottom of the tow but excellent snow in general. Skiable back down to the road too.

We'd received an e mail from Weardale that said they were also open - but no mention on their website tonight. (Edit: The snow report was from February - but under 'News' they were indeed reporting a good day's skiing today.)
Anyway, in view of the north wind (ie straight up the slope at Weardale), we plumped for Yad Moss.

Yad is open again tomorrow - but we'll be back at work..... Confused

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 13-03-13 13:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weardale FB says about 20people and not upto much so not opening Wednesday. Some forecasts are looking good for the weekend in terms of snow, be nice to see a good depth fall out the sky as most of this winter it seems to be coming up short.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice day again today. Lovely cold snow and very fast pistes. No more snow cover however.

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3402

looks like Spring is on hold until well into April. Oh well just have to go skiing instead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yad moss operational again today. snow, snow and even more snow this week Shocked

Spring is going to have to wait snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weardale is open tomorrow. I might come up from Liverpool via Tebay in a good 4 x 4. Anyone fancy joining me?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yadmoss webcams look very promising, I've cleared my diary for Wednesday I hope they open!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski,

We are hopeful of running the tow at yad Moss again on Wednesday but as always check the website on tuesday night.
snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
kitenski,

We are hopeful of running the tow at yad Moss again on Wednesday but as always check the website on tuesday night.
snowHead

I'm checking the web and facebook hourly Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Both Weardale and Yad Moss webcams showing signs of some fun lurking in the mist. I'd like to see a couple of calm days then a major top up on friday and after that just cool / average stable and dry for a week or two. Last few years we've had good Christmas / New year skiing, good Feb skiing it would be nice to get good Easter Skiing.
snow conditions
Going off the facebook pages no Weardale tomorrow (Wed 20th) but Yad Moss will be go. Weardale back on Thursday - currently six runs pisted up, depending on which ones that's potentially a couple of km's!!! Given Yad always works hard on pisting we might set a record for length of prepared runs in England over the next couple of days.
ski holidays
just back from a great day at Yad, windy, but the wind was blowing down the tow track so only felt it on the way up! Some really nice creamy snow and some big cornices at the top for people to jump/fall off, so be careful if the vis drops!!

I was still getting fresh tracks on my last run at 2:45pm. Had a hairy journey there in courtesy car, sods law that my car with winter tyres was in the garage, but journey back was simple as road had been ploughed and salted.

Thanks a lot to the volunteers who ran it today.

DSC01765 by kitenski, on Flickr

DSC01761 by kitenski, on Flickr

DSC01760 by kitenski, on Flickr

DSC01758 by kitenski, on Flickr

DSC01755 by kitenski, on Flickr
ski holidays
Nice photos kitenski,
I'll be up at Yad Moss on Friday if its open Very Happy
snow conditions
Good pics kitenski.

Was it me that youy saw fall off the big cornice right at the top whilst attempting to mark it with a pole Laughing
latest report
Peter S, aha, yes it was, very slow tumbling fall, I bet you got a shock! I was glad to see you were moving afterwards, as I thought you may have landed on the fence.

There is a lot of snow up there along the top, is that the secret snow store to prolong the season Smile

Although it looks like plenty of fresh snow and high winds on the cards for Friday/Saturday if the forecast is too be believed.

BTW I did have a thought, is it possible to have "on the day" spot helpers? I, for example, would have been happy to do a bit of digging or patching of the snow track whilst I was there, and would do so again in future.

regards,

Greg
snow report
Could anyone tell me the day ticket set up as in where do you get them and when are they available please as I was looking at this weekend if poss and also what are the current road conditions cheers.
snow conditions
meandrew, for yadmoss you buy them on the day, assuming they are selling day tickets. This will be displayed on the website, usually the evening before. http://yadmoss.co.uk/

Weardale also say on their website if they are accepting day members. http://www.skiweardale.com/ and you need to bring a form with you http://www.skiweardale.com/membership.html

If it's looking busy, weekends are usually open to season ticket holders only......
latest report
kitenski, Thanks
snow conditions
Thursday at Weardale and all it's done is snow and blow since then. Tow road is currently blocked (pics on club facebook page) with snow, waiting for the first clear webcam post storm as its going to look so much better than this.

Weardale-1-21-03-2013-07-53 copy by onemanmows, on Flickr
ski holidays
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3438

Looks like much more snow blew down onto the runs wednesday night. This was before the snow on Friday although east Cumbria got a lot less than the west Lakes. Goodness knows how much there must be on Raise by now, thouh the easterly winds are a lot less favourable up there than Yad Moss. Could be that all the snow has ended up in Thirlmere. we'll see. The prospects for a 6th month ski seson in Englnad this year are good Shocked
ski holidays
Looks like a very big drift on the left of the tow as you look down the slope on todays lunchtime Yadcam.
snow report
I'm hoping the roads will clear, wind drop and re-open on Tuesday as I've not made it up yet this season. Not sure how much new snow there's been and how much is just the wind moving it around / dumping it onto the road though!
snow report
wigan, what was up there last week was pretty packed down by the skiers so can't see that blowing away tbh....so worst case, no net gains from the good cover last week.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yad moss hoping to open on Thursday. Raise is being checked out tomorrow.
With high pressure building from the north over easter it could be very good over Easter.....though Scotland is bound to take the biscuit with huge amounts of snow particularly on west facing runs.

The long range MetO forecast has it staying cool right out till the end of April snowHead It won't please the farmers but the skiers will be happy and it could possibly mean a remarkable six month lift served ski season here in England Shocked
snow conditions
Proper snow up at Yad, any idea if the team will try and piste all the drifts out Peter S, or just leave 'em?

ski holidays
Kitenski,

The piste basher driver is on his way back from Whistler........ where Spring has sprung apparently Laughing

So no bashing tomorrow. Probably lots of digging though !
snow conditions
your piste basher driver doesn't lie, it is spring in British Columbia
snow report
Peter S, sods law at its finest!!!

Wondering about bringing the family up for a day out over Easter, assume ok to walk the dog away from ski area???
snow conditions
kitenski, which day are you thinking?
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, dunno, trying to persuade the Mrs....kids both have new skis they want to try out, so choices are yad, Halifax or Xscape.....

More likely to be fri, sun or Monday.....
latest report
Kitenski,

Yes i'm afraid no dogs near the ski area. We have a legal committmnet about that with the farmer.

However away from the ski area its all open access land.

Check the website re day tickets. The club is likely to restrict use of the tow to season ticket holders only on some of the days and i think that will include the reciprocal arrangement with Weardale and LDSC members.
snow conditions
Peter S, yes, I am a season ticket holder but rest of family are not!!! don't think they will be that impressed if I go without them!!!
snow report
Peter S, yes, I am a season ticket holder but rest of family are not!!! don't think they will be that impressed if I go without them!!!
ski holidays
kitenski, I'm trying to wangle Scotland or the Pennines.

That was until I saw that post by Peter S, where's the ticketing info on the website please?
latest report
Mosha Marc, they update it nightly, on the Yad moss website
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy