Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North Pennines 2012/13 - Allenheads, Harwood, Weardale and Yad Moss

Poster: A snowHead
Get yourselves up there guys!!!

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/

Wednesday 27th March

The tow will operate from 10.30am Thursday. Day tickets available
A full days work today by three yadfathers and one yadmother involved releasing frozen door locks, excavating drifts outside and inside the buildings and some essential tow maintenance.
There are large areas of wind packed powder, many large drifts and some sastrugi wind scoured areas. Winds will remain strong from the East with a high wind chill factor.
Do not park where the road is narrow as snow ploughs and large commercial vehicles require access. Bring a shovel and dig a parking space. The B6277 is open.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,346

great day today. remarkably cold for late March but still the sun was strong.

Tomorrow is season ticket holders only or visitors hiring skis.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great day at Yad Moss yesterday. Absence of the piste basher driver made the first hour or two challenging for me as I tried to remember how to ski in proper snow wink but probably was a bonus in the view of most others. Later the sun even came out Happy It wasn't very busy, just a few minutes queuing and by 2.30 / 3pm was ski straight onto tow.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 29-03-13 11:18; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plenty of fresh tracks all day

And skiing back to the road
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went up yesterday with wigan. Was my first visit to Yad Moss, and had a great day. Fresh tracks to be found all day long. (little) Jumps off the natural kickers formed by the drifts. End of the day skied within 1 metre of the car... Not sure where else I can do that snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd a morning at Yad Moss, and an hour or so at Wearside, yesterday. All the roads were passable with care. Conditions started off a little Arctic at Yad Moss, but by midday the sun had come out, and it was a little less Arctic Very Happy A bit more sheltered over at Wearside, which also had some prepared pistes. Both areas had more than adequate snow cover, with fresh powder to be found. Overall, a great day's skiing - thoroughly fun and thoroughly challenging in places
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weardale Report - Easter Sunday, 31 March 2013:
A fantastic day today - packed powder/winter snow and just about everywhere skiable.We even managed a few fresh tracks:D . Cloudy/flat light when we got there but no queues and not very busy at all. The lifts ran until after 5.30pm, by which point visibility had improved and we had the place to ourselves Smile....Back for more tomorrow:

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On Wed 3rd April, Weardale could be planning on opening from 13.00 until 19.00 which, as it says, could be ideal for an after-work slide Very Happy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fantastic skiing in the North pennines and Lake District right through the Easter weekend.

Yad Moss is pisted and ready to run again on Wednesday after a rest day today. Sounds as though Weardale is as well snowHead

Check the websites before your head up there however for details of ticket availability and opening times.

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snow-and-weather-report

http://www.skiweardale.com/

http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pics and report from 1st April here

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3504
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frontpage of the Mirror online snowHead

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-coldest-easter-ever-1795544
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some very good pics here of Weardale and yad moss on tuesday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/8619573221/

Looks like a dusting of snow last night. Should be operational again today and over the weekend. The breakdown may now be delayed a little next week. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll sort out the rest of the pictures from the North Pennines some time over the weekend. It was worth it - faced with the whole of Scotland in stunning condition and the ever present lure of the Mighty Coe I decided to have a quick mid week trip to the furthest tows from the house. Amongst the best days of over 35years of the North Pennines.

Blue bird belter of a morning at the Mighty Yad, good cover on the main run - not to the depth of 2009-10 but groomed to perfection. New piste basher with its fancy tiller and snow bucket making a big difference. To the East - on your right as you go up the tow - the hill is a series of large snow fields linked by the usual run lines. You can get some proper big carved turns in. All main run variations via the bowl, crossing tow line into sunset boulevard etc are in great shape. A couple of small drifts near the top creating a natural small quarter pipe. Then you've got Hen Gill for a little bit of gully time at the end of the day down to the road.

Evening skiing in Weardale - it would be rude not to. I know of one other person who did the double and got nearly nine hours of Pennine skiing in. Weardale has a good range of terrain open. Not the same width and depth of cover Yad has and really Yad can't be beaten for piste skiing but in England Weardale can't be beaten for scale and variety of terrain. Those two little button lifts serve a huge range of skiing and boarding options when the fell is in condition. This trip was all about quality time in the gully. Best cover I've seen in it for a while. Really needs big East and West storms for the best and then it's an amazing place - 500 to 600m of rolling edges, steeps, drops and chutes. Black Scar had good cover but wasn't going to let you on easy - slight mind game start involving a traverse under the cornice. On the up, if you bottle the narrow 'easy' window for the first turn you can traverse round and drop onto the gully. Saw a good few freezers and fallers - took me a few goes to get the first turn nailed.

Off F1 tow (lower) East and near West Pistes had good cover. The latter having a really good depth and about 1.5 machines wide. Off F2, upper tow to the East you had the Gully and Black Scar to head to. Plus some the upper East Piste and a couple of shallower gullies holding good now. To the west, M1 was in good nick providing an easy route down. The full delights of the 'Wild West' at the head of the valley was also there to be enjoyed - nice snow field awaits. The rambling cruising return to the base of F1 is a bit more user friendly with new fences. Still a bit of slot car combat skiing required to keep to cover in some sections. I think the new fences are a little higher up the hill than the true return. Worth exploring and it gets you out of sight of the main tows - true Pennine lift served off piste.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And now photo time:

Weardale - 25 pics (mine) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/sets/72157633174683264/show/

Thinking about dropping in by onemanmows, on Flickr

so, that was a bit of a tour of the fell but the real action was in The Gully, here's some quater pipe action - Pennine Drift Style - pictures not by me:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamescummingspics/sets/72157633160026504/show/

The Mighty Yad had small drifts and big groomed pistes (mine) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/onemanmows/sets/72157633173927400/show/

9 - Impaler run skiers left, main run right by onemanmows, on Flickr
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another superb day again today. Almost no queues and wall to wall sun.

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3544

Repeat again tomorrow Cool

ski holidays
Great pics oldagedpredator. Would have given you shout if we'd known you were at Weardale for the late night visit last Wed! Here are a few more snaps - we had an excellent time - the weather was just amazing. After sneaking out of work early, we managed to ski from 6pm, ignore a couple of 'Last Run' signs wink and ride F1 until 7.25. Great stuff!

ski holidays
Only a slow thaw this week with further snow showers possible mid week. The season goes on...... snowHead
ski holidays
That looks awesome
snow report
mountainaddict, didn't really think to mention it. The plan was to get down for Sun / Mon and have a ski day at Weardale and a tow day at Yad. As well as catch up with PeterS and everyone else. Couldnt resist a trip to catch The Gully and Black Scar in condition. Still waiting for The Gully to be properly in, the West entrance is more fun. Plus you get a proper half pipe in the lower section. Black Scar was as steep as I remember it being from the top. Didn't do the face directly as your photo above, took the traverse under the cornice followed by the 'smoother' sweeping line down the right hand of the pic. Got some video of a couple of people coming down Black Scar, just need to get it in the right format to upload.

Did like the late finish, fine way to end the fourth month of Pennine Skiing - Weardale's first day was the 3rd of December 2012. Fitting that Black Scar was sunlit until the sun finally went behind Chapel Fell.

I see from the club's facebook they've taken to jumping the tow road!!!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 7-04-13 23:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Had a lie in today after getting back from Cairngorm at 23.00 last night. Arrived at Yad Moss tow at 14.30 this afternoon and skied until about 16.15. Lovely soft snow which cooled down/speeded up during our visit.

Very extensive cover and amazing depths at the top - should last for a while yet Very Happy. The ski down was particularly impressive - it's all a lovely wide piste below the generator hut. Will try and post a few pics later.
snow report
Oooooooooooh, I do like a good weardale video. This little gem was in the latest club snow report email. Features - F2 East Run followed by The Gully and finally F1 Near West. Proper pistes brought to you by the old Yad Moss piste basher which was an old Cairngorm piste basher. Fantastic work:
http://youtube.com/v/KKE4dpbQFZE
latest report
Hi, I don't post on here very often but I'm looking for some help on yad moss, a few of us are thinking of travelling up on sat morning for a few hours, we are all intermediate boarders, what sort of runs do they have at yad moss and when do the say if its open to the public on there website? Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
Hi there, the Yad Moss website is at www.yadmoss.uk I'm afraid they can't usually be definitive about opening because there are so many variable. Best to keep your options open and make a decision the night before.

Conditions at Yad Moss are highly variable - its in England ! often thin snowy grass with lots of undualtions. At the moment the main runs are still complete and about as easy as they have ever been. Google Yad Moss on you tube or have a look at this video to get an idea of what it can be like when it all comes together!

Yad Moss, Pennine skiing at its very best :-) from gordie
http://vimeo.com/3134539
http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/facilities
latest report
Thanks for your reply, temps look like they are rising this week so I might have missed my chance to play at yad moss this year, I'll keep a close eye on the website as the week goes on, I'm tempted to book a b&b and just go what ever the weather, it's 4 hour journey so fingers crossed for some decent snow so I can get my last snow fix for the year Very Happy
snow report
notverygoodatskiing: Mrs MA and I have skied about 10 days at Yad Moss since December. We have touring kit so, on three or four occasions, have skinned up when the tow has been closed - either through lack of snow on the tow track or the runs being incomplete lower down.

Skiable snow has lain on the slope (in varying thicknesses) for about 11 or 12 weeks now. Given the current snow depths (snow fences buried at the top) and our experience of the main slope, I reckon that even with warmer weather, there's more than a decent chance that they will be operational on Saturday. I would still wait and see until later in the week before booking digs though - Thursday or Friday's webcams should be fairly definitive.

In terms of where to stay, the ski tow is out in the wilds. Middleton inTeesdale - a fairly picturesque village 15 miles from the slopes has a hotel a couple of B&Bs and what might pass for nightlife (ie somewhere to eat and drink); the High Force Hotel (opposite England's highest waterfall (er, High force) is (I think?) residential; there's Langdon Beck Hotel - middle of nowhere about 7 miles from the slopes; Alston is a decent sized market town a few miles past the slopes if coming from the east and has a few accommodation possibilities; Garrigill (a small village) has accommodation and pubs; and slightly further afield, is Barnard Castle, which is another old market town with a fair few places to stay.
snow report
Thanks for all the info, very helpful indeed, I've been lazy and used the accommodation that was recommended on the yad moss website, it's the b&b called east view in Alston and the lady was very helpful and said if my plans change then to just let her know, I returned from a weeks boarding in Finland 3 weeks ago and I just can't get rid of the boarding itch so I'm hoping this will help me until next year, I can't believe I stumbled across this thread so late in the season and that only 4 hours away is possibly some amazing snow to play on, is anyone else planning on heading up or is it normally just a last minute decision for everyone?
ski holidays
from the website tonight :

Monday 8th April

The tow will be closed on Tuesday but we plan to open on Wednesday from 10.30 a.m. When left on Sunday several runs were available with good skiing on spring snow. The weather forecast indicates the possibility of more snow showers between now and Wednesday.

Day tickets will be available from the ticket office.
latest report
Mostly today I've been swearing at the computer - how do you film makers have the patience to do this. Stills are far easier. Anyway, fresh from it't premier on the Weardale Ski Club facebook page - it's a short film about short steepness. Chill.

http://youtube.com/v/1GZL7bkj6Po
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oldagedpredator: Can't view it at work - but looking forward to the gala premiere later.....

notverygoodatskiing: The weather forecast for the weekend's now not looking too clever - rain, +10C.....As I said, the snow on the upper slopes is very deep - and could well survive a few days of high temperatures. However, the lower parts (and tow track) could be a different story in rain rolling eyes....Fingers crossed eh? We're planning a trip regardless - and will skin up if needs be.

How was Finland and where did you go? I've looked at it for a short break/somewhere different as we're easily pleased and love to travel/try new places. I see the resorts are open into May - but flight prices (to Kittila) are currently prohibitive (£400+) for when we could go (ie 3 weeks' time). Maybe next winter....in the meantime, we'll be off to France or Austria.

Keep us posted with your Yad Moss plans.
snow report
It does look a bit warm dosnt it, hope the rain stays away and we will be there even if the snow disappears, I'm sure we will find something else to do, it's a shame we didn't go last weekend instead of going to the sno zone. We go to Finland every year and its amazing, we stay in Yllas and this year we got married in the ice hotel wink as far as I know there's only one flight in/out of kittila a week and that's on a Sunday, it's nothing like we have experienced in any other resort in Europe as its so quiet and unspoilt, we never have to que for a lift and do complete runs without anyone else on the same run, if you want any more info then feel free to contact me rather than me filling this thread up as I could talk about Finland all day long Very Happy
ski holidays
If the skiing / boarding does get rained off there's some tourist stuff to do round Alston area - mostly industrial related - narrow gauge railway in Alston, Lambley viaduct, Nenthead Mines and Killhope Wheel (another lead mining thing). Alston, Allendale, Middleton in Teesdale all have a range of teashops. Over on in Teesdale the waterfalls are always worth a look - High Force (park at hotel of same name), Low Force (park at Bowlees) - then do Walk from Low Force to High Force. There's not much in the way of indoor tourist stuff in the North Pennines, Bowes Museum in Barnard Castle if you would like art and culture. Housed in french chateau! Probably better as something to do when heading back south.
ski holidays
notverygoodatskiing Due to the snow lying in the north Pennines for about 12 weeks; the amazing winter that Scotland is having; and trips to British Columbia and Tignes, Mrs MA and I have managed to work full time and ski at least a day in every week but one since Boxing Day. We're planning on continuing our run, rain or shine, on Saturday - day 48 on snow beckons! We may see you at Yad Moss - but may go to Weardale instead as we are paid up Members there wink.

If the worst comes to the worst and the tow is off Skullie, you will definitely get some turns in at the top of the slope. It takes about 30 mins to walk to the top if the lift is off. In which case, hiking boots are good - with ski boots in a rucksack and (if possible) skis attached to the pack. If the lift is running, it's about 10 mins from the car to the foot of the tow.

A fallback option could possibly be here - you'll already be in Cumbria after all Smile :

http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/

Thanks for the Finland info. offer by the way. I could well be in touch at some point.
snow report
Quote:
Over on in Teesdale the waterfalls are always worth a look - High Force (park at hotel of same name), Low Force (park at Bowlees) - then do Walk from Low Force to High Force.
AND/OR: Drive from Langdon Beck to Cow Green Reservoir ; park and walk downstream to Cauldron Spout waterfall - should be worth a look with all the meltwater. Alternatively, park near Langdon Beck and follow the river upstream to the falls - over very rough terrain/boulders, although fairly flat overall. Retrace your steps to return on both routes.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 11-04-13 12:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
good skiing again today at yad Moss apparently though getting heavy in the afternoon. Still plenty of snow.

Possible running again on friday. Check the website.

snow report
mountainaddict, that is really good going. It has been a bit of a funny season for the Pennines. Good that there has been lots of snow cover bad that the biggest storms just seem to miss the area early season. Maybe next year, although I'm still waiting to sample some of the fabled Yad October skiing. Can't remember the last time I did May skiing in the Pennines so it must be the 80s, maybe we'll make it this year?

Yad was looking really good on the Webcam yesterday afternoon, main run cover looking excellent. You cant beat a bit of snow management, new piste basher was one of the best things to happen to Yad / Pennine Skiing. Ashamed to say I wasn't keen on the idea when I first heard about it! Be good if Weardale could get one of those snow buckets as well, Glenshee has one fitted to a machine of a simillar age and it does make a real difference. Perhaps even the end of the F1 mud bath!
snow report
Back in feb it was Mountainaddicts pics that help convince us it would be worthwile moving snow in the bucket to make a run. Of course we need an area to mine in the first place Laughing
ski holidays
Is it possible to get rid of this annoying picture of the lady in the white ski suit that obsucures the thread text ???>>>>>>>>>>>>>
snow report
Quote:
Is it possible to get rid of this annoying picture of the lady in the white ski suit that obscures the text
Could it be Chemmy Alcott??....

Anyway, keep an eye on the top left corner of the pop up box - a minus symbol should eventually appear. Click on the symbol.
snow report
Yad Moss and Weardale are both open tomorrow Very Happy - for what could be the last day of the season Sad.

Great news notverygoodatskiing! Unfortunately we'll be at (members only) Weardale but (assuming that you are still going for it) I hope that you enjoy the skiing and the norvern hospitality!
snow conditions
It's looking promising isn't it Very Happy we are just over half way on our journey from Cambridge and staying the night in a hotel as I have a tendency to have a power nap during long journeys, bit scary when I'm the one driving Laughing so we should be at yad moss for opening in the morning and we can't wait, thanks for all the advise and I hope to see plenty of snowheads getting in some late season turns.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy