Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats Skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Sarny, Although if you do choose the Salomon 3V LAB SL Powerline I have some nice 165s for sale with an X16 at a bargain price. They have tip deflectors for pushing the snow away if it snows on piste.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cynic wrote:
Sarny, They have tip deflectors for pushing the snow away if it snows on piste.

Laughing

Very funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cynic wrote:
............... Salomon 3V LAB SL Powerline I have some nice 165s for sale with an X16 at a bargain price.

What's a bargain price? wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimastaaah, If you are in the market PM me please, I do have some for sale.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.skifinder.com/search/index
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cynic, I'd love to, but I got way too many toys!

Recent aquisitions include LAB 2V Powerline in 188cms. I got the need, the need for speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sarny,

Those skis would be like trying to drive a ferrari just after you have passed your driving test. To be honest I don't see much point in people having skis like that unless they are race training. These skis would suit you far better ....

http://skicanadamag.com/2012/11/26/ski-test/on-piste-cruisers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sarny, FYI, some new Sally X Wing Tornado Ti's in 173cms with bindings just went for £155 on Ebay.

Someone just got a great deal!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimastaaah, A little short, the 191 with X20 edge adjust?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cynic, Not for you nor me, but for Sarny...................... snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok last post - im going to buy some skis, i want to start somewhere, I want an extra bag to stuff my pants into, way I figure it, Im going to have to pay loads for extra luggage allowance over 20kg anyway with my clothes, so If i pay a little more in ski carriage its saving me a bit too, but more importantly I have some skis I can forge my own opinions of etc...and then maybe buy some different ones.

On a random auction site there are these avaliable...whats ones are best for me, beginner-intermediate etc...

K2 Triaxial 3.0 168cm
Skis Carving VOLKL SOL 165 cm 2010/2011
Skis Carving ELAN WAVE FLEX 14 160 cm (these probably???)
k2 skis domains 169cm
Skis Carving SALOMON X-WING TYPHOON 160 cm 2010/2011 ( Another favorite here?) Can remember seeing these in resorts a lot.
163 Fischer World cup RC4 GS skis

Go on, just pick one Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sarny, buy a snowboard.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

way I figure it, Im going to have to pay loads for extra luggage allowance over 20kg anyway with my clothes

More than 20 kgs of clothes? You wear lead boots?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sarny,

Salomon X-Wing Tornado 173cms with z12 bindings £130 Buy-it-now on Ebay.

Salomon X-Wing Typhoon 160 cms with z12, 4 days left ................,

buy some half decent but 2/3 year old flattering skis for less money until you actually have half an idea what you really would like.

ALL those skis you list are up for grabs on Ebay.............................. FFS commit to one set of them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, sarny's embracing his feminine side, be gentle with him. wink
ski holidays
I put my boots in my main bag, but again, this isnt about the weight of my luggage.

Although...personally I prefer a seperate shampoo and conditioner as opposed to a (weight restricted) heads and shoulders 2 in 1....

Yes I have longish hair.

Skimastaah - i know they are, I just want a direction, which ones are the best bet for me out of those? Are you saying the X-wing?
latest report
Sarny,

As you seem to be in a hurry now and haven't got a clue what you want....

Salomon lx730 £175 New in 165 or 172 beginner/intermediate will be quite soft but also forgiving and bloody cheap so if you don't like em no major loss. Not tried this model but can't go wrong for the money.

Salomon rxt 750 intermediate/early advanced "Imv" very sweet playful, easy going quite stable at moderate speeds, super turny, won't kill you and room to progress and first in wood core of the range £359 new.

you could probably go as high as the lx 800 but I think the rxt 750 will be better for you now.

Anyway just to add to your confusion...
latest report
I found this useful when researching reviews on skis http://www.winter-sports.com/EN/Skitests/index.php?season=2013
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:
Sarny, FYI, some new Sally X Wing Tornado Ti's in 173cms with bindings just went for £155 on Ebay.

Someone just got a great deal!

I did tell you at the time.................. great price, and a ski that would let you develop.
ski holidays
Right so ill pick up a pair of them off the bay, im 170 tall and use 160 on the dry slope so ill aim for 16-165cm I guess.

Also, whats your opinion on the Elan Wave Flex 14 2010s? 160cm

Thanks.
snow conditions
Sarny, The Waveflex 14's are an out and out piste carver. Really the realm of an "expert" skier, BUT, in a length 160 I reckon you'd be okay with them. HOWEVER, these skis need to be worked, edges hard pressed, holding the carve, quick in the turn from set edge to set edge. Perhaps a steep or stiff learning curve, but given the length of them they should not catch you out to the same extent as longer wave flex 14's.

I've looked at the ones on Ebay and the photos show a good used pair, a few base surface scratches, looks like a deeper cut has been p-texed, and the bases show very good "structure" (that's stoneground cross-hatching on the bases to aid wax retention/gliding properties). The bindings are the Elan badged Tyrolia/Head Peak 12. Good robust binding and the pics show some/minimal scratches and wear. The ELX bindings are adjustable for boot sole length.

Opinion,............. pretty decent skis in pretty decent condition. But I'd not bid that high on them.
ski holidays
Sarny, The X-wing Typhoons in 160 on Ebay are possibly quite a decent ski. They'd be softer than the Elan WF 14's, but have the titanium insert to be tortionally stiff (that tortional stiffness greatly assists strong edge hold on hard-pack/ice). The binding is the Z11 (Not the Z12 as per description), however I doubt you would want to go higher that 7/8 at the mo. Skis look good, some obvious scratches/knocks on the binding arms, no real scratches to see on the bases, good clean edges, great base structure.

Opinion, ....................for you a better bet than the Elan's, and I reckon you'd want to sell on within a season when you would most likely get most of your money back. Not as precise as the Elans, but they won't bite yer bum in the way the Elans would!
ski holidays
Sarny, The Sol is a female orientated ski.
snow conditions
Sarny, I'm going to plug (yet again) the 2010 Salomon X-Wing Tornado's in 173 length.

Sally Blurb....................... "The new Salomon XW Tornado is a powerful& precise One Ski Quiver for all terrain on a 79mm platform. Salomon’s XW Tornado’s powerful All-Mountain Chassis is constructed with a full Wood Core from Tip to Tail for optimal stability on snow with powerful rebound. Salomon’s XW Tornado Wood Core construction also maximizes snow to ski contact while filtering vibrations."

Features:

Sidecut: 120/79/107
Radius: 16.3m @173
Stable & confident performance on all terrain
Consistent for carving sensations & grip on groomers
Oversized Pulsepad
This ski is for: Intermediate to Advanced Intermediate skiers

Opinion,.......... there's not enough photos to show just how good/used these skis are. THEREFORE, factor in the need for a service/stonegrind/edge and wax. That's £25 from your ski shop. Also the guy wants pick up in Oakham. THAT alone will limit bids. DON'T bid over £100! and DON'T be put off by 173 cms, That equates to less than 6 inches longer than the 160's, not a lot when that's just over 2 inches at the rear plus 3 inches infront.
snow report
wow - thankyou.

Yeah ive been sitting here thinking 160-173 is massive but its not in real terms is it.

Regarding the waveflex the reviews ive read have been saying they arent great on normal piste, but if you say they are a bit much then cool

I can parallel, but i dont really go edge to edge, im having a private lesson a week until the end of jan on the dry, but im not desperate to buy some skis that are non forgiving, im just a recreational skier.

ok, Salomon X-Wings ill keep an eye for.
snow report
Sarny, Let us know what you go for in the end. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Sarny, I'd recommend NOT buying a pair of skis online unless you've tried them out first, because they may just not 'work' for you at all when you get them on the snow. Could be an expensive mistake. Instead, next time you're skiing find a hire shop that's happy to switch your skis every day, even twice a day if you're cheeky and they're helpful(!) then you can find out what you're happy with in different conditions, types of skiing, jumps etc. If you do this at the end of the season, hire shops are often happy to sell you the skis you like, less the cost of a week's rental.

I've bought two pairs of skis this way and my latest, some Preachers from SnowShepherd, I bought after trying them out in the powder for a day at the Pre-Season Bash in Tignes a couple of weeks ago. In fact, if you can wait til next year before buying, come on the Pre-Season Bash where the two Tims (SnowShepherd and Kneissl) will hopefully again be lending out a whole range of skis - piste, off-piste and all-mountain - for a couple of hours at a time, foc! It's a great way to try out a whole load of skis and see what works for you! Happy hunting!
snow report
Sarny, Hope you were bold!!!!!!!!!!

The X-Wing Typhoons went for £90, just a little below my expectation.

The Elan WF 14's went for £60....................... great deal for someone!!!

The Wave Flex 72's are still there................. a cautious buy at £120 plus.

Do your homework first..........and Jude1 has a point!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sarny, BNWT salomon LX 800 skis 168cms with Z10 bindings..............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2012-Salomon-Enduro-LX-800-168cm-skis-with-Z10-bindings-x-wing-tornado-/281042419439?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN&hash=item416f6efeef

Maybe more suited to you if you want NEW item that with helpyou develop.
ski holidays
would rather pay 2nd hand prices though Smile

so these are good for beginners?
snow report
Are those ones on that eBay link the same as these just in a different colour ?

http://www.skis.com/Salomon-Enduro-LX-800-Skis-with-Z10-B80-Bindings-2013/276487P,default,pd.html
snow report
Do not pay 240 for ex rental skis Shocked

You'll get brand spankers for that price if you look hard enough / wait till summer to buy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy