Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solo skiers-what do you do?

Poster: A snowHead
As much as I've tried and can't get my Mrs into all things skiing as much as I'd like too. For her it's something she sees herself doing every couple of years rather than a few times a year like me. I've lost most of my ski buddies to family life, I will go that way soon one day, but not yet! Toofy Grin

I have what you'd call good problems, I have enough money and leave to do a few weeks a season at least, and a wife who in theory is happy for me to go and do what I enjoy doing without her. This year I'm struggling so I'm contemplating going solo. I'd be interested to hear from those who have found themselves in a similar postion (I know there is a snowHead bash so could consider this for one).

My mate is an instructor out in Japan, but on weighing up airfares this is a) expensive and b) to make the most of it I'd need to take a fortnight which is difficult to take in one block from work before the end of March.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your half way there, join a bash. Wish I'd found Snowheads 10 years ago.

For a second option, put a bash of your own together with other like minded Snowheads.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers, despite being a member of this site for a good while I've only just see that there a sub-forum set up for people just like me!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just select where I'm going and go. There is always someone in the hotel who is also looking for company. Joining ski school for a couple of days is usually a good idea as you get to see the resort without having to make any decisions. You also get some pointers as to how you can improve your technique (it is ski school after all Laughing ) and you will also find like level skiers to play with.

I'm off to Altenmarkt on the 21st for 2 weeks with no definite ski mates. If none of the locals are available I will just join in with the ski school and get some of my bad habits criticised. You never know, I may even change some of them and improve as well as find people to ski with. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

There is always someone in the hotel who is also looking for company

That's what I rely on - never fails wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always go solo, since my wife has no interest at all in skiing, or even going to the mountains in winter.

I generally buy a package from a TO, since for solos it rarely works out significantly cheaper to DIY, and you have the added bonus that in most resorts with most TOs, you will have a couple of days of on-piste guiding, which gets you together with a group, and sometimes I end up skiing with others form the group for much of the week.

I've also met other Snowheads and skied with them on several trips.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I go solo once a year and I'm female! Maybe even twice this season.

I always book with Mark Warner on my trips without friends/family.

Their ski hosting 4.5 days a week* mean you don't have to ski alone, and there are always lots of other solo travellers there. Dinner time is very friendly too with big shared tables. I love it!

*for now at least!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I nearly always go alone these days - used to meet up with a friend for a few days occasionally but he was a lot older and has sadly passed on.

Just get on with it - if you go to a resort where the other lot have a leader - ski a day with him or join and ski more if available. Take your laptop or other device and Skype the other half - keep up with the cricket/rugby scores etc

Go to Austria and Switzerland rather than France as the rail/bus transport links are so much better and transfers are less of an issue - may be even self drive with a load of good music so you can visit different resorts when you are out there. and a lot of places do not have single supplements.

My other half has a dodgy knee (excuse?) and won't ski.

Biggest problem is being ripped off by rapacious operators who charge a fortune for single rooms - just been trying to book for 15/12 - UK French chalet companies and another well known UK operator all wanted large single supplements when it is clear their chalets won't even be full anyway - quite understand why operators are failing in such large numbers - forget maxim of bums on beds! Ended up with being ripped off by squeezyjet £54 for ski transport but going to Salzburg and getting seven days skiing as out Saturday and back following Sunday - booked b&b via local tourist website in Kirchberg and will get tram from airport to railway station and train to resort.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gone solo many times - always to a hotel - if all else fails you can always chat to the Bar Staff. But I never failed to meet loads of interesting people and often joined them on the slopes too.
Biggest problem is the lack of single occupancy rooms without stupid supplements
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I never quite get why solo skiing is such a problem. While it's fun skiing with a bunch of people of a similar or better standard, groups can also be a massive chore due to group inefficiencies and exponential rise in faff factor. Skiing on your own is great - you get to go at your pace, select your own route and on average can pack in lots more skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It looks like a few companies have started concentrating on solo skiers http://www.singlesport.com , http://www.pistepals.com/ or http://www.solosholidays.co.uk/ski

Have you tried these? Or does it not make much difference who you book with?

For airport transfers we have added a shared forum after we realised how many people are going solo! http://www.findtransfers.com/shared_transfers.asp
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You might consider going on a Ski Club of Great Britain holiday (you have to join the club): see http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiclubfreshtracks/search.aspx

The holidays are mostly for a particular standard though most have more than one skiing group and some of the very large ones have many (and consequently a wider range of standard. See "what is my ski standard" on the left to understand the symbols for ski standard for each holiday.

Some holidays involve instruction, some are off piste and some involve some skinning (see - Holidays by Zone).

If you are an intermediate skier and just want a few days skiing around the pistes with some bits of off piste then you could just join the Ski Club rep in the resort you go to. If you like the first experience you can join out there and carry on skiing with them. Different days are usually aimed at different standards but sometimes the same people turn up anyway.

I started skiing with my parents and then started again after a 20 year gap. I tried the Ski Club reps and moved on to the holidays where, over about 8 years, I met and made friends with enough people to start organising holidays for us myself - booking hotels and guides to ski off piste.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

just been trying to book for 15/12 - UK French chalet companies and another well known UK operator all wanted large single supplements

We've got a couple of spaces left for that week (Sun 16th - 23rd) for £299 fully catered no single supp - not including flights and transfers. We do shared transfers tho which are only £80pp return.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 5-12-12 15:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, "faff factor". Like it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I avoid the TOs aimed at solo skiers as listed above. They seem to have an element of 'dating agency' about them and also seem to think that single people are an inconvenience that need to be lumped together in room shares.

I'm quite happy with mainstream TOs, either finding a single room or a twin for sole use without an exhorbitant under-occupancy supplement. Or alternatively using the wealth of knowledge from my snowHead friends in the mountains.
snow report
Grizwald, Would recommend Snoworks - www.snoworks.co.uk - they do great holidays with instruction at all levels and there's a good social side to it too. Also +1 for SCGB Ski Freshtracks
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
I avoid the TOs aimed at solo skiers as listed above.

Not sure if you include Mark Warner in that, but I've not really found that all. It seems to be mostly for families, but with no 'stigma' for solo skiers.

I've also never paid a single supplement, as you can do roomshare. I've also never had to share a room!
latest report
Grizwald,
UCPA is worth a look depending how old you are, officially its for under 40's but I (and all the others in the room) lied on the booking form and at 46 last season was my first with UCPA, excellent value for money but even if I was loaded, I would still consider UCPA for the social aspect. you can book as a single but you are placed in a typically 4-6 share bunk room, some like thier luxury but I'd sleep in the garage if it meant getting some skiing in.
snow report
One of the reasons we're offering independent ski hosting this season is precisely for people who don't want to ski alone but either don't want instruction or don't want to have to shell out the money for a ski school. If you fancy Switzerland, you could take a look at the web site Wink www.relaaxinthemountains.ch
snow report
I've been with the big TO's every time for the last 10 years I've gone, mostly Inghams! This year I'm trying DIY, as in book flights myself and then a room and transfer through an independent chalet company ( special mention to Snow and Sunshine!) but I'm always scouring the brochures looking for no single supplement rooms or ones for reasonable rates. But there's always a good late deal if you look close enough and not picky about where you want to go! wink
snow report
i found myself in the same situation as you three years ago. the missus has no interest in skiing whatsoever her idea of a holiday is lounging around on a beach..thats not me...any way i had not skied since school trips it was a good ten years since i skied.so i decided i wanted to go as i have many great memories of skiing and how much fun it was.i asked some buddies if they wanted to go but all tied up kids,ect ect, then i thought screw it i want to go and thats final..i booked a week in les gets in march..when i arrived in chalet we were greeted by the hosts and i was the only solo skier there it was a bit scary at first but a few vin chauds later all was cool..i met some really nice people that invited me to ski,drink and eat with them..also met some toffie nose snobs.but theres good and bad everywhere...i had a great time and the skiing came back easy like riding a bike...since then i go every year solo and have loads of fun and meet likeminded people everywhere.......my advice is get out there son you only live once
snow conditions
try piestepals
latest report
eng_ch, You need to play down the background on the website - text is almost unreadable! Good luck however.
latest report
Grizwald, I went skiing on my own once. I had all the pages open on the internet, Easyjet, transfer company, caleted chalet etc. I sat there for a good 30 minutes (had to refresh easyjet lol) wondering should i do it or not. I was only 19, and only had 2 weeks previous on snow. I booked it and was a bag of nerves until arriving in the chalet. I made sure the chalet was full so i could tag along with people etc. I had a great week skiing in the PDS and made quite a few mates from that trip which i have been skiing with since. Other than that, try the trips from on Snowheads.
ski holidays
I should have said that the Ski Club of GB put singles into shared twin rooms.
snow report
waiter_fisherman wrote:
..my advice is get out there son you only live once

amen to that!

If I had to choose (and happily I don't) between skiing with my friends or skiing alone I'd have to think about it...

The 'craic' of the former probly outweighs the 'no-faff' of the latter but it's close(ish).

There is a great sense of freedom and adventure in skiing alone

Another vote here for Mountainsun - they make it easy and pretty cheap.
snow report
I used to go skiing with my partner but we split up two years ago and since then I have been going on my own as none of my friends ski. I have always used Crystal for my ski holidays and they are ok (price for one person not that much more expensive, per person, if two are going). I also used Balkan Holidays once when I went to Bansko and they are fine too.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 5-12-12 19:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ski total were good nice food accom and staff
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've gone alone on all my trips since 2003 but usually hook up with some kind of organised off-piste guding service such as piste-to-powder in St Anton or similar elsewhere. Shared rooms with Americans in Chile on two tours there and everything seemed to work out OK. In Obergurgl I sometimes ski with the Gerald, the bar manager in the guest house where I stay after getting to know him. Last year we were skiing off-piste at the back of Hohe Mut and a guy approached and asked if he could join us. Gerald agreed and off we went and i skied with the same guy for a few days after that. It turned out to be Jim McKay, father of the McKay brothers and he still skis fast off-piste! There's always someone to ski with.
ski holidays
Every few years I get to ski without the family in tow (it is my chance to ski at my pace all week, rather than being a "guide" for them). I have always done this with groups from which ever company I am working with at that time. I ask around the office and it generally turns out that there is a spare slot that becomes available at the last minute.

Funnily enough though... my wife seems dead against me going off on my own to a ski resort and just "meeting up" with people I might meet in a hotel or bar. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

Funnily enough though... my wife seems dead against me going off on my own to a ski resort and just "meeting up" with people I might meet in a hotel or bar

well you should do a reciprocal arrangement, where she goes off and just "meets up" with people on a beach holiday, or whatever sort of thing appeals!
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
I never quite get why solo skiing is such a problem. While it's fun skiing with a bunch of people of a similar or better standard, groups can also be a massive chore due to group inefficiencies and exponential rise in faff factor. Skiing on your own is great - you get to go at your pace, select your own route and on average can pack in lots more skiing.

+1

I, 99% of the time, go solo as well. Mostly camping, using vehicles or family properties and if, I can, try to make it itnerant. It keeps it interesting. If I happen to be totally out of ressources then or feel like it then UCPA.
latest report
pam w wrote:

well you should do a reciprocal arrangement, where she goes off and just "meets up" with people on a beach holiday, or whatever sort of thing appeals!

I'm not sure (even after 20 years) we're ready for an "open" marriage Shocked
latest report
I ski with groups of around my own standard and try to hire guides who keep us moving. At my age the small waits when the guide stops and the group collects are welcome. I couldn't afford a guide on my own and am wary of skiing on my own off piste. Anyway it is more fun with a group, so long as it doesn't restrict what we ski (which has happened once when a group member was recommended but turned out not to be good enough).

My wife doesn't ski but accepts that I do 3 weeks per year. She doesn't want to go off on her own at other times (except sometimes to speak at conferences - mostly on language teaching and mentoring).
ski holidays
Also it's not just the *skiing* alone, which is OK - it's the lunches alone. I love skiing, but for me it's also about the social aspect. I spend far too much time alone as it is - the last thing I need to do when I have free time is spend it alone.
latest report
eng_ch, + 1
ski holidays
Been going solo for some eight yearsd now, like everyone says you always meet up with people. Have always stuck with Inghams and had no problems as i tend to let thwem sort it out and just pay when i have too.

Always try and look for no single room charge and have been to some nice places. Like other posts, I book a few days of group lessons to initally meet up with other folks.

Doing Caterd Hotel ( St Chrisptoph) this year to try something different, but there will be always people to meet up with to ski and have a drink with, roll on 26th Jan.
latest report
I go away to ski, on my own every year. For the last decade it has been four weeks a year, now I have a child it is just two weeks a year. None of my friends or family ski, and I love skiing.

The key thing is that you never need to ski on your own. I always ski with off-piste groups and guides. Irrespective of the low cost, I think UCPAs provide some excellent off-piste guiding and tuition. Similarly Piste to Powder, Oxygene, Evo 2 and others offer ‘similar’ guiding and/or tuition in various resorts.

Accommodation wise then Austria is really good for the single traveller. Tourist board websites are great and you can easily find excellent value for money bed and breakfasts (for one person.) St Anton has some really good value single bed and breakfast options. Combine this with guided off-piste groups or a ski school then you will have fantastic skiing days.

I have found that UCPAs in France and youth hostels in France, Switzerland, and Canada have all been very good. You will find loads of people on their own, who are there first and foremost to ski. Everybody seems to mix and socialise very well in these environments. You will find people to ski with and socialise with. If you do not mind staying completely on your own then you can find cheap apartments – in some resorts!

Personally I do not go to the mountains to drink and socialise – it is still great to meet like minded people. I treat my skiing as a sport, and a couple of après beers is it for me know. I spend all of my work time interacting with people, and have a very bust family life so a bit of time on my own to read or watch a DVD is wonderful!
ski holidays
I'd recommend using Snoworks. They always seem to have a good atmosphere on their weeks and there are plenty of different types and standards of ski weeks to choose from. Some trips you can get a single room or share. Yes, it's instruction and in some cases guides but IMO they do it very well.
snow conditions
JayDub wrote:
Personally I do not go to the mountains to drink and socialise

I live in the mountains, which makes a difference. When you can ski every day, you don't have the same compulsion to ski just for the sake of it. However, the sport of skiing is just one aspect of the entire, overall experience of being in the mountains. Socialising (not necessarily drinking) is another aspect of the whole, for me. As I said above, there is a very big difference between *skiing* alone but meeting up with people for coffee/lunch/apres/dinner and spending the whole day alone of which part is spent skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy