Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Jumpers for the Discerning Skier

Poster: A snowHead
Masque wrote:
James the Last, it depends on the density of the weave . . . do some research . . . the idea behind Gortex didn't fall out of the blue. The concept was/is 60+ years old

Go on, I'm up for being educated but my quick google only tells me that Barbour have developed a range of non-wax breathable jackets... which implies their wax jackets really aren't! I'm no fan of wearing a Barbour for this reason.

So, please do point me towards some research if you can.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I really don't think these jumpers are bad. You have a single knit, no seams, windproof, antimicrobrial, merino wool product. They just need a bit of design adjustment. Look at the colour palettes the nice scandi companies are using. Look at the way the (much smaller, much more subtle) logos blend into that colour palette, and notice that the women's products (at least) have more fitted options. Perhaps think about the logo being the silhouette of an actual ski jumper mid flight or something rather than the words 'Ski Jumper' which aren't really working (and again, much smaller than the big badge that's there now)... maybe that's a rubbish idea... but anyway, seems to me you've got a good product underneath the distracting (and detracting) colours and logos.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James the Last wrote:
Masque wrote:
James the Last, it depends on the density of the weave . . . do some research . . . the idea behind Gortex didn't fall out of the blue. The concept was/is 60+ years old

Go on, I'm up for being educated but my quick google only tells me that Barbour have developed a range of non-wax breathable jackets... which implies their wax jackets really aren't! I'm no fan of wearing a Barbour for this reason.

In filthy weather like todays I go for my barbour waxed cotton jacket over modern stuff every time, no matter how abused it is it will keep me dry!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
miranda, The blue colour was definitely "in" last season so it's probably "out" by now. Despite the slagging it's had I don't think the product looks that bad if they can make it less "Officer's Club" or other low rent chain. Price point and size of potential market are a bit off base IMV - if it's spring I'd still rather wear a light shell with a t shirt than a sweater or of course my baller vest over my tall-T.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
James the Last, Ventile, Cotton Duck Canvas, waxed cotton, and close woven wool tweed. All are water resistant or water proof. Weight can be an issue as Fatbob suggests and I'm not spending a bucket of money on this . . . eBay is my friend. Ma breeks just have a waxed cotton bum patch for sitting on the wet bits. Wind proofing is more important than waterproofing as skiing is predominantly a dry weather sport. Breathability is a modern requirement as we have begun to wear closer fitting and more layered garments. I'm not looking for new developments, just old standards.

fatbob, "handicap" is an interesting viewpoint . . . would you like to use my teleboard for a week to establish a datum point for your skiing?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Coincidentally Mrs SB is, as I type, unpicking an old charity shop jumper with skiers on it to add to a charity shop fleece thing (she's going to cover the body and add a hood, it seems but leave the sleeves alone) to give to one of our young seasonaire friends for Xmas. Hope they'll like it Shocked Maybe she'll start posting on here and make her fortune

Laughing

Just taken a couple of pics. Will try to upload.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is the lovely fleece which will be partially covered by some of.............
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, I'm handicapped enough on normal teleskis without making it more difficult and I don't ski enough to even get onto the hallowed intermediate plateau at that.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This....body covered and hood added from ski jumper material.........
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, Oh come on, when it clicks tele's a dream. I found that once I stopped standing on my heels it all fell into place. It also makes carving changeovers fast and clean . . . does really hammer your quads though. Try keeping at least 80% of your mass passing through the balls of your feet, Made an instant change to my control of my skis. Can even do a tele hockey stop now . . . though give yourself a bit more room cos that big ski hanging out the back can find obstacles very easily Embarassed Embarassed instant nut stretch splits Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sequoiaboard, Looking forward to seeing the finished article... it's an interesting concept.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sequoiaboard, Tell her to go into business and flog em for £99.99, easily undercutting the ones mentioned in this thread!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:
miranda, The blue colour was definitely "in" last season so it's probably "out" by now.

I actually quite like both the blue and the red (though I would definitely offer a more muted colour option too). What I don't like are the big black logos and black zips on those bright colours. It's not an attractive zip, so I wouldn't make such a feature of it. I would probably keep the zip the same colour as the jumper or, if I wanted to feature it with a different colour and add in a trim detail elsewhere to tie it in, I wouldn't make it black on brights like that or would at least have a balancing stripe of colour around the black.

Making the logo much smaller and possibly black onto a white background or something (so it's less imposing) would help, and shift the position of it or just don't have a massive flag in the same position on the other arm.... and I do think the logo should be a symbol or picture rather than the words "Ski Jumper".

But otherwise, I am looking for something to wear on the warmer days this season and could imagine wearing a jumper like that with some fitted "ski pants", if they really were suitable for spring skiing - as someone else said, it would be good to see a picture of people actually on the slopes in them - either way, some full body shots might be a good idea. And maybe you could get Eddie the Eagle involved in the shoot wink

Good luck Mr Ski Jumpers....

and good luck Mrs sequoiaboard - definitely interested to see the final product too!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davkt wrote:
James the Last wrote:
Masque wrote:

In filthy weather like todays I go for my barbour waxed cotton jacket over modern stuff every time, no matter how abused it is it will keep me dry!

Only problem with wearing a Barbour is that you look like the kind of person who wears Barbour...

Oh wait.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobmcstuff, Well living out in the sticks on the edge of the Peak District just means I fit in with the rest of the non-tourists!
latest report
A tenner to post a jumper seems a bit steep as well!
snow report
Free delivery from Jaeger for my Christmas jumper, only£99
snow conditions
One of the funniest posts I have ever read - very good achilles Laughing Laughing
latest report
Still a bit of fine tuning to go Mrs SB says, but here it is so far........

She's contemplating embroidering ESF on the back in big red and white letters, standing for the name of her new Haute Couture Company, "English Ski Finery"
snow report
That looks splendid!
snow report
sequoiaboard, Wow! Very Happy
latest report
And rather liking the whole idea of windproof jumpers for spring skiing I've just picked up an SOS triangle patten jumper for all of £20 from a vintage clothes seller on Asos Marketplace. Like these but very dark blue http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOS-Heavy-Knit-Men-s-Ski-Jumper-NWT-30-Off-Sizes-L-XL-Ideal-for-Christmas-/330839584114?pt=UK_Men_s_Jumpers_Cardigans&var=&hash=item4d07936d72 and very nice it is too!
latest report
davkt, Cant believe the price they are going for Shocked

Might have to try listing one I've got Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
£140 Shocked Shocked
latest report
Bones, Yup, guess the Asos seller didn't realise what they had, mine is an early SOS for sure as it was made in the 'British Crown Colony of Hong Kong' put looks as though it has never been worn.
latest report
I've got a Musto Evolution Windstopper jumper. Lambswool outer, windstopper lining. Very warm and cheaper. I don't wear it when skiing tho, as with any windstopper fabric, it's not as warm as an equal insulation with an outer shell as the windstopper layer is under the knitted, insulating lining.

http://www.musto.com/fcp/product/Outdoor-Clothing/Evolution/EVOLUTION-WINDSTOPPER-KNIT-JACKET/10105?colour=black
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy